A request for when the anarchists are converted

I would like if, at 40 renown, you can do something to betray the anarchists. Now, I know what you’re thinking, &quotSilv! You have forty renown, they love you, they know you, why would you get a betrayal option you honey-mazed fool!?&quot

Hear me out.

Here’s the What:
You get to forty renown, and the storylet is somethign like &quotA meeting with X&quot (one of the Calendar Council), and you get a choice. You somehow betray the Liberation of Night. You still get the item (Maybe something about knowledge of the liberation, or anything like that), but it resets your &quotAdvancing the Liberation of Night&quot and maybe gives you a quality so it can come up later.

Here’s the Why: The Anarchists like me a lot. I have done a lot of lectures. My character is heavily affiliated with the masters, and London as an institution. The liberation is not a good thing. I occasionally empty out my connected through conflict cards to get rid of the commission card, but when it comes down to it, there’s probably a lot of people that either want to work with the anarchists, but not advance the liberation, or who hate the anarchists but are burdened by connected (and eventually renown) and I feel like that’s a good way to reconcile this.

The thing is, you could apply this to almost any faction. My character hates hell to the point that I will not be getting the Watchful +10 item from them, and will settle with the +9 reward from the Great Game (the 25 renown reward) - I’d also like it if you could somehow betray the devils once you reach high renown, and get the good item while still staying in character. But this doesn’t seem to be in FB’s plans, at least not anytime soon.

Aye, my character is right in with the constables (Renown 50), and often spends her days in the snug of the New Justice on the Jake with them. Unbeknownst to them, she happens to think they are scum, and would happily mow down the lot of them with an ex-Navy Nordenfelt gun. Can she? Please?

I get that a lot of people are rather hysterical about that whole Liberation of Night thing, but if you don’t want to push that then perhaps try not getting entangled with the Revolutionaries in the first place? I don’t see why they should be a special case with an extra option just because there are so many faint-hearts around without the steel to do what must be done. Anyway, don’t worry, it’ll be fine. It’s cozy in the dark. ;)

I think for a lot of people who got good with the Revolutionaris, later learned about the LoN, and detested it they had to option to trade in Connected and all, but that can’t be done with Renown which tbh makes sense. Though it seems mostly a measure of how well liked you are FBG has stated it was supposed to be both Fame and Infamy. Mechanically that’s…not apparent, but w/e. Still can avoid helping any more.

Then I would argue that now is the time to dump your connected as fast as you can, rather than pleading for a special case where you get to have your cake and eat it. You don’t get to do that with other factions. If you want their special prizes you have to help their cause.

[quote=Plynkes]I get that a lot of people are rather hysterical about that whole Liberation of Night thing, but if you don’t want to push that then perhaps try not getting entangled with the Revolutionaries in the first place? I don’t see why they should be a special case with an extra option just because there are so many faint-hearts around without the steel to do what must be done. Anyway, don’t worry, it’ll be fine. It’s cozy in the dark. ;)[/quote]This. My character has precisely 0 Renown with Hell because he detests Devils. He will play nice at fancy parties in order to part their Ambassador from Contracts, but he’s not interested in advancing their agendas. This means that I’m missing out on two points of Watchful that I could get from using the Vinification Apparatus instead of a Ratwork Watch, but if I put efficiency or optimal stats above roleplaying, I would be making a lot of different decisions.

Kaigen, there’s a great game reward which will only make you miss out on 1 point of watchful IIRC.

I personally am not so bothered with renown 0 because FB explicitly stated that renown isn’t necessarily positive; however, to get to Renown 40 one would have to grind a lot of Favours, and those are unambiguously positive.

Maybe at some point down the line we might get a negative way to increase renown (perhaps by spending favours of an opposing faction - cash in several favours:criminals to get some shady types to beat up some constables, and the constables will remember your name - though not with kindness - raising your renown)? That does seem unlikely though, especially since renown rewards seem to be geared towards positive renown.

For a purely hypothetical point of view one could imagine a third tracker, called Disposition or something, which would measure friendliness. Then favours could be directly cashed in, Renown would be a measure of fame (or infamy), and Disposition would measure actual friendliness. But at this point we’re going completely out of even remotely realistic suggestions/expectations into fan theories and empty speculation.

So you spend 40 Renown, and possibly remove the chance to ever get renown with them ever again, to reset a quality?

40 RENOWN?
Does the Liberation of Night quality even do anything? Or are you wanting this for roleplaying purposes?

It is not like the whole faction are in on the Liberation, though, or that you must help out the Liberation in the process of getting high Renown.

I do think some way to set back the Liberation by spending Renown would be a neat thing, though!

It’s mostly from a roleplaying perspective, though for good reason. Without spoiling much, it’s kinda horrifying. Like, the H P Lovecraft brand of horrifying. The whole thing basically destroys the fabric of reality and replaces it with utter chaos, leaving many to suffer in the destruction and madness of the whole thing. Simply put, it’s probably bad news bears. Then again, being ruled by fiery star-gods that devour our souls and send us to an afterlife of suffering isn’t too great either, so unless we can find a solution somewhere between the two options it’s mostly just picking your own poison.

That’s a good question: just how many of the revolutionaries actually know of or support the LoN? But yeah, it wouldn’t surprise me if some form of Renown raising would involve furthering the LoN or the 40 Renown-tier item being related to it. It’s pretty much the faction’s schtick, so I’d be surprised if one or both of those weren’t present.

I mean, if you don’t want any renown with them, you can just spend all of their connections now before the switchover. And it’s rare to accidentally get renown, you can stay at 0 afterwards pretty easily.

That said, as FBG has stated, Renown isn’t just positive, it’s negative attention as well, so technically 40 renown doesn’t mean they’re huge fans of you.

Advancing the Liberation of Night is tracked separately. If you’ve accidentally advanced it a little, especially while you didn’t know what it was… well, that’s the point, lots of things that help the revolutionaries help advance it, and not everybody who helps knows what they’re getting in to.

It seems a little too good to be true to get a renown 40 item AND reset your gross quality. Might work out better if you have to ditch the item to do it, or something. But advancing the liberation is something you do on accident and then regret. It might feel a little cheap to be able to cancel it all out.

Oooh, or the item could be something stupid like &quotplans to liberate the night&quot (but more cool and less badly named) and it opens a storylet where you can either jack Liberation way up or reset it, or something?
edited by hellaGumshoe on 7/15/2017

That was basically my idea, and let’s be honest, getting 40 renown is not “Cheap” to reduce your liberation quality. There’s already a fate story that does it.

Which story?

There is a way to remove renown. A difficult way, but it’s there. A road lit by candlelight.

The downside of that of course is that you’ll lose ALL your renown for every faction and will have to start from scratch. But if you really want to dump renown with a faction you detest, that’s how you do it.

[quote=Dudebro Pyro]Kaigen, there’s a great game reward which will only make you miss out on 1 point of watchful IIRC.

I personally am not so bothered with renown 0 because FB explicitly stated that renown isn’t necessarily positive; however, to get to Renown 40 one would have to grind a lot of Favours, and those are unambiguously positive.

Maybe at some point down the line we might get a negative way to increase renown (perhaps by spending favours of an opposing faction - cash in several favours:criminals to get some shady types to beat up some constables, and the constables will remember your name - though not with kindness - raising your renown)? That does seem unlikely though, especially since renown rewards seem to be geared towards positive renown.

For a purely hypothetical point of view one could imagine a third tracker, called Disposition or something, which would measure friendliness. Then favours could be directly cashed in, Renown would be a measure of fame (or infamy), and Disposition would measure actual friendliness. But at this point we’re going completely out of even remotely realistic suggestions/expectations into fan theories and empty speculation.[/quote]
Slightly off topic: so I wasn’t hallucinating that statement? I kept thinking they’d said that, but I was confused with how Renown mainly shook out as positive attention (like off the top of my head maxed out Constables Renown is &quotthey say you’re the spirit of the law&quot or such, which isn’t exactly something you’d call someone you really hate.)
More on topic: I think it’d be really neat if they introduced something like a disposition tracker, empty speculation or no - there’s a bunch of stuff I feel has a different impact with the favors/renown system where maybe a disposition tracker could help… For instance, I feel like since the change from Connected, severing ties to a Closest To faction has gotten a lot less punishing, if I read the wiki right? (Yeah, I admit that’s kinda Complaining About Shows You Don’t Watch, but part of why I was so worried about severing ties when it was just Connected was that it was so punishing, while now I’m thinking &quothey, I’ve got an alt, I might check on a lark…&quot) From losing all your Connected which could be hundreds of levels to losing all your Favors which would be seven at most. I feel like the former really gave a sense of &quotthat was a massive breach of trust, it’s gonna take you a long time to make up for that&quot, and the latter is more… &quotthat was a massive breach of trust, it’s gonna take you - wait, you want to fork over 70 pence? Okay, we’re cool again.&quot
edited by Katistrophe on 7/18/2017