A quick reminder about fun.

shrugs Some people don’t approve of vote buying?[/quote]

Well, my other options would be to vote for a candidate I do not support, nuke my career and Notability, which still would not fully remove my disinterested vote. Both of those are annoying and boring to execute. Instead, I opted for the third option, to sell my vote and engage with the community in an unusual way. To me, at least, this feels like a reasonable decision and much, MUCH better than ruining myself. Also, I thought someone else would already create something similar (and there WAS something similar, with Passionario and Jenny’s Fixers), keeping in mind Jenny’s hijinks and the amount of fixers among us.
If you do not wish to participate in it, than don’t. If you think that the rules of my threat are flawed, dislike away. But, if you dislike purely due to it being ‘immoral’ and ‘not in the spirit’, than stop and consider why all it was created before making such a decision.[/quote]
I haven’t down voted anyone on your vote buying thread and in fact I tried to buy your vote, remember? :P It didn’t work out because neither of us trust Londoners :P[/quote]

Sorry if it seemed like I was addressing you specifically. I just felt that this would be a nice transition to talk about why I have created the bribery forum topic. Thanks for the burst of activity, though. Every bit helps in furthering the 4th option.[/quote]
Guns for hire are a regular part of elections across the world. Maybe next Festival could have an actual corruption mechanic. I send you a comprehensive bribe or three, which when accepted breaks down into a bunch of echoes and goodies, and if you accept you switch candidates. If you refuse it causes the person who sent it to you scandal.

Just a random thought, it might be worth adding your reasoning for doing so in the thread. I know I try to do so when i make any thread that may seem rather ill to others.

As far as I can see as a lurker, I think there’s not much an issue of taking things too seriously; it seems to me people are having fun, even when willingly exaggerating the importance of this election.

Nothing bad with vote selling, harsh arguing and brigading, as far as having fun is the objective.

I’m a bit taken aback by the Jenny camp, they’re getting a bit inflammatory, especially with remarks to Jenny’s background.

I know for role-playing reasons my character would almost never vote for her, solely on the basis that she is a lady of the night. My character being the prude that she is, finds the profession distasteful and does her best avoid the establishments in Veilgarden. It doesn’t help that my character has had virtually no interactions with Jenny and thus, knows nothing about the monster hunting or connections overzee.

I understand that these sentiments may not be politically correct in 2016 but these thoughts would not be inaccurate given the year of 1894, right?

Tie it in to Professions. Watch the Conjurer makes the votes go away! Watch the Murderer makes the candidate go away! Watch the Tutor corrupts a child!

[quote=Anne Auclair]
Guns for hire are a regular part of elections across the world. Maybe next Festival could have an actual corruption mechanic. I send you a comprehensive bribe or three, which when accepted breaks down into a bunch of echoes and goodies, and if you accept you switch candidates. If you refuse it causes the person who sent it to you scandal.[/quote]

A corruption/bribery mechanic like this sounds really interesting. Could work as a social action, though obviously limited to people who’ve chosen a different candidate than you. Though it feels like switching candidates should also trigger the Turncoat quality or something similar, from an in-game perspective (and maybe having high Turncoat eventually locks you out of taking any more bribes, because clearly you’re not someone to be trusted anymore).
edited by narcomanic on 7/12/2016

It hurts me to have to go against what my character would do. The Mirthless Colonists would doubtlessly have gone for Sinning Jenny, what with doing Ambition: Bag a Legend and being somewhat indebted to Jenny. I just personally prefer the contrarian. Well, atleast the contrarian has the Tomb-colonies on his side, that justifies it a bit more.

+1 to the OP (which is the only one I’ve read)

This is a fictional election with fictional candidates in a fictional city. It’s fine writing in-character posts praising/denouncing candidates. But please never forget it’s all just a game! :)

Incendiary arguments are to be expected, yes? It’s all in good fun, after all. So remember, if you find yourself taking this too seriously, just sit back, relax, and vote Contrarian.

Frankly, having just gone through a very bitter primary campaign in the U.S., and with the promise of three more months of frolic yet to come, the FL election seems quite sedate by comparison. Although it’s been somewhat amusing, in a sour way, to see some of the same kinds of rhetoric and devices employed in a fictional setting. But the microcosm has nothing on the macrocosm.

– Mal

[quote=phryne]+1 to the OP (which is the only one I’ve read)

This is a fictional election with fictional candidates in a fictional city. It’s fine writing in-character posts praising/denouncing candidates. But please never forget it’s all just a game! :)[/quote]

I got a similar name to someone else by luck and they was mean to me. I was very angry, but seeing this clamed me down xDD

Hooray! I am systematic![/quote]

Calm down. Anyway, downvotes are not helpful for election arguments. Use words! They are not going to switch because of a red number!

I was joking. It was a petty thing to do.

[quote=Blaine Davidson]I’m a bit taken aback by the Jenny camp, they’re getting a bit inflammatory, especially with remarks to Jenny’s background.

I know for role-playing reasons my character would almost never vote for her, solely on the basis that she is a lady of the night. My character being the prude that she is, finds the profession distasteful and does her best avoid the establishments in Veilgarden. It doesn’t help that my character has had virtually no interactions with Jenny and thus, knows nothing about the monster hunting or connections overzee.

I understand that these sentiments may not be politically correct in 2016 but these thoughts would not be inaccurate given the year of 1894, right?[/quote]

Not only in 1894, but in a universe where souls, devils, and eternal damnation are a manifest reality.

[quote=narcomanic][quote=Anne Auclair]
Guns for hire are a regular part of elections across the world. Maybe next Festival could have an actual corruption mechanic. I send you a comprehensive bribe or three, which when accepted breaks down into a bunch of echoes and goodies, and if you accept you switch candidates. If you refuse it causes the person who sent it to you scandal.[/quote]

A corruption/bribery mechanic like this sounds really interesting. Could work as a social action, though obviously limited to people who’ve chosen a different candidate than you. Though it feels like switching candidates should also trigger the Turncoat quality or something similar, from an in-game perspective (and maybe having high Turncoat eventually locks you out of taking any more bribes, because clearly you’re not someone to be trusted anymore).
edited by narcomanic on 7/12/2016[/quote]

I really like this idea, and I’m glad FBG have stated outright that they intend to expand the event next year, because that means we might get something like this. Which I would enjoy a lot.

Of course, votes are confidential, so…

Maybe it’s a good time to be 160 leagues out to zee.

You always think it’s a good time to be 160 leagues out at Zee, A L W A Y S…

Abs flashes a wicked grin at you, a grin so bright it can even be seen 160 leagues out to Zee, how they manage that . … . . well, it must be dreams.

Lies! I’ve already decided it’s a good time to be 170 leagues out to zee.

Do I hear 180 . . . … ?

Make that 190.