A Pocketful of Loose Change

Is this quality actually leading somewhere right now? I just ask because I can’t seem to find any particular use for it…

Loose Change becomes useful when Counting the Days hits 14. And then you may need to wait a while…

Am i the only one to find that quality redundant? CtD already determines if you can try for a mark of credit and pocketful of change levels barely matter. yeah it bars you from just getting the mark from restorative cards but that’s kind of pointless. It made more sense back when CtD was not reset when you acquired or failed at getting the mark.

I usually have to wait a while anyway with CtD 14, for “Secrets and Spending”. But that’s got nothing to do with Loose Change - it’s unlocked with SS 4 & CtD 14!
I know about that card “The Awful Temptation of Money” which features a social action to increase Loose Change. But what for? I have to agree with Dmitri - Loose Change seems completely pointless to me.

[quote=Wieland Burandt]I usually have to wait a while anyway with CtD 14, for “Secrets and Spending”. But that’s got nothing to do with Loose Change - it’s unlocked with SS 4 & CtD 14!
I know about that card “The Awful Temptation of Money” which features a social action to increase Loose Change. But what for? I have to agree with Dmitri - Loose Change seems completely pointless to me.[/quote]
So it was a rhetorical question, then?

Counting the Days and Loose Change are roughly analogous to Unnatural Exuberance and Investigating/Fascinating in Polythreme - accumulate enough X before time hits Y - but the mechanic does seem rather looser. Perhaps they will add other ways to spend Loose Change in the future?

[quote=Esterhazy]
So it was a rhetorical question, then? [/quote]
No, it wasn’t. :)
I just hoped there was something that I missed, like another rare opp card. It seems strange that they should add a quality without a real purpose. Probably a hint of things to come…?

One of the options on the Secrets and Spending card requires Loose Change 4. It’s the one that can grant a Mark of Credit, so if you’re looking for a Violin or Safe-Conduct you’ll be hitting it a lot.

Precisely- I think this is something where someone who’s already done everything has a very different experience from someone who hasn’t. Every CtD action either gives you Loose Change or menace reduction. Thus, the optimal thing to do in terms of gain per action is to spend 10 actions on Loose Change somewhere in the loop and use the menace reduction cards for the rest. At lower levels, the challenge is to get enough ways to accumulate Loose Change- the four “phases” of CtD last five or six actions each, so you need to either unlock two of the Loose Change storylets or wait on the cards that grant it.

Once you have a storylet in all four phases, you have the option to just grind CtD, which is better in terms of real time elapsed but worse in terms of what you get for the 21 actions in the loop. (since excess Loose Change is wasted) But since the Numismatrix story only requires Free of Surface Ties and you don’t need the Safe-Conduct until much later, if you’re playing through the game when this stuff is already released you can do it the “patient” way.

Does it? I never noticed. Well, there’s another mystery explained, then…