A Night in the Lonesome October

'Tis the season when I re-read the late Roger Zelazny’s luminous work, A Night in the Lonesome October. Truly delightful little gumdrop full of lively word-play and loving callbacks to Mary Shelley, H.P. Lovecraft, and others who wrote of the weird, the obscure, and the bizarre. Top it off with a charming, albeit unconventional love story, and a half-dozen major plot twists in the last five pages, and you have a book scribed by a master at the top of his form. And it’s narrated by a watchdog, what could one want more?

– Mal

Good call - it’s one of my favourite Zelazny books. My copy is getting a little tatty, come to think of it, may need a new one.

Thanks for brining this book to everyone’s attention Mal! It’s a wonderful book and it stands up to many re-readings. This year I’m reading one chapter each day.

I’ve done that too, Lady Sapho, it is a wonderful tease. Among Roger’s best works, not least because it appears he was paying attention to what he was doing (well, except for the little mistake at the end concerning Messrs Morris and McCab, but hey, he was dying at the time, he can be forgiven some distraction).
In fact, I was planning to do that again this year, but then got distracted by this charming game. Not that I’m complaining.

– Mal
edited by malthaussen on 10/10/2015

I see the developers have been influenced by this book as well, if the Rat extermination story is anything to go by.
– Mal

The Things in the Mirror in the Labyrinth also seemed to be a homage last I was there.

Could well be! I haven’t been around long enough to get to the Labyrinth. This whole place is full of literary allusions, I love it.
In any event, I now have a bloodhound named Snuff and a Parabola Kitten named Graymalk, so the game’s afoot!

– Mal
edited by malthaussen on 10/12/2015

[quote=malthaussen] Among Roger’s best works, not least because it appears he was paying attention to what he was doing (well, except for the little mistake at the end concerning Messrs Morris and McCab, but hey, he was dying at the time, he can be forgiven some distraction).

edited by malthaussen on 10/10/2015[/quote]

What was the mistake?