A Night at the Opera

Appolonia turns to Maria.

&quotAre you a writer of libretto also? It is always a pleasure to meet another writer of song.&quot

&quotAh, I think you are looking for tickets for an additional evening? I can help you with that, or you can check at the box office.&quot

At the offer of the ring:

&quotOh. That is … very thoughtful of you. I will take this in the spirit it is given, and tell you how grateful I am that you were moved by the performance.&quot

She takes the ring, and smiles gently at Maria.

(Later, she will give the ring to the box office in case anyone returns seeking ‘lost and found’.)

[quote=Rysiek]

[li]
Maria, knowing only Jolanda, Irene and Eli stood in a corner, taking notes &quotGreek, myths, those are those with that Zeus guy and those titans and that nonsense, right? Why can’t someone write an opera based on… physics… or simple theft. Or the Bratva… wait, I am going to write an Opera myself! Mrs. Swan, would you help me with the music? The coldest opera of London is going to be performed. A bittersweet, realistic ending, a thief, ruthless accuracy… the bratva as an antagonist, the mafia both on and against them. All against the heroine. People speaking nonsense, like that with the sizes of male genitals… new inventions… a lot of russian, and, if it has to be in an opera, slavic myths. Maybe I will throw the Baba Yaga in. And lets not forget numbers. Real numbers, imaginary numbers, many ways to write them. Misscalculations by very small amounts. Graphs, complex formulas, long and accurate calculations. Which will have big consequences and a big significance on the plot. Calculations which may spoil the ending, if done correctly and then changed into the russian alphabet. How does that sound?&quot Probably Maria, who looks now so happy she could light all of London, would be the only person interested in such an opera &quotOh, and the opera was wonderful. Can I get two cards for tomorrow? Probably somewhere hidden from the rest of the audience.&quot Maria hands a ring to Appolonia &quotNoone close to me had a rose, so I stole this ring. Hope you like it.&quot[/li][li]
edited by Rysiek on 6/4/2016[/quote]

[/li]

Appolonia turns to Professor Sketch.

&quotA pleasure to meet you, Professor.&quot

&quotThank you for your kind words.&quot

&quotThis particular show will be open for the remainder of the month. Some Friday nights. All the Saturday nights. Two Sunday matinees. There are still tickets available.&quot

&quotI am also planning to write additional operas, perhaps one per season?&quot

&quotI have been thinking to pursue the love story of the Fathom-King, referenced only obliquely tonight, to give my dear friend Thrice Drowned Jones a chance to be featured again. I think he is quite a hit!&quot

&quotBut, several other ideas are presently competing in my imagination. Some delightfully syncretic mix of myths and legends from here and the Surface, undoubtedly.&quot

&quotDo you have a particular field of study of greatest interest to you? I am always happy to speak to another scholar here.&quot

[quote=Appolonia]Appolonia turns to Maria.

&quotAre you a writer of libretto also? It is always a pleasure to meet another writer of song.&quot

&quotAh, I think you are looking for tickets for an additional evening? I can help you with that, or you can check at the box office.&quot

&quotOh. That is … very thoughtful of you. I will take this in the spirit it is given, and tell you how grateful I am that you were moved by the performance.&quot

(Later, she will give the ring to the box office in case anyone returns seeking ‘lost and found’.)

[li]
[/li][/quote]

[li]
&quotActually, I have no idea what a libretto is. Something free? I didn’t have time to go the operas. Had to focus on surviving. The closest thing we had to music in Praga were the Synagogue and the church. The operas were on the other side of the Vistula. Where we stole. And who would allow a dirty kid in? And later, there wasn’t one in prison… but I want to try to write one. Apparently, music is very mathematical. And if there is a thing I know, it is numbers and jewellery. So maybe, I won’t fail spectacularely?&quot

Appolonia smiles at Maria.

&quotAh, it is something you are contemplating but have never done before? But you have written stories? But maybe not songs, or tunes and orchestration?&quot

&quotWell, one way to get started would be to take an existing piece of music. For example, an operatic score. And simply write new words for it. Take a scene that is an argument between a master and a servant, and see how that same music could serve an argument between a young couple. That will get you some practice in fitting word to note.&quot

&quotThen think about the staging of that single scene. What kind of set would you need? What kind of cast and costumes?&quot

&quotIt takes years of study to do all of that. But practicing with just the words part (which is called the libretto), and just a single scene, might be a good way to start.&quot

&quotOr consider writing a play, which would give you practice with creating characters and plot, but remove the complexity of composing the musical score also.&quot

&quotOf course, if music is an area of talent, some composers do only the music, and have a second person prepare the words.&quot

&quotHelping with an existing production - for example, with stagecraft or some other element would also help you learn the overall concept, and what would be required.&quot

[quote=Rysiek][quote=Appolonia]Appolonia turns to Maria.

[li]
[/li][/quote]

[li]
&quotActually, I have no idea what a libretto is. Something free? I didn’t have time to go the operas. Had to focus on surviving. The closest thing we had to music in Praga were the Synagogue and the church. The operas were on the other side of the Vistula. Where we stole. And who would allow a dirty kid in? And later, there wasn’t one in prison… but I want to try to write one. Apparently, music is very mathematical. And if there is a thing I know, it is numbers and jewellery. So maybe, I won’t fail spectacularely?&quot[/quote]

[/li]

&quotSo, where can I find a composer then? I can write, I hope I can do so well…&quot Maria starts humming Korobieniki, before starting to sing, whih sounded… not good but not very bad. &quotNo go away, you annoying Vory, yes go away. I want to keep my life to a single woman. I want a job and my home ain’t prison. I am a proud thief and I will be one outside of law… a thieves home isn’t prison, 'cause what can a thief steal there? Nothing my dear, nothing my dear&quot
&quotSeems simple… props&quot Maria draws her revolver &quotcostumes… rags, or a ratskin suit for the heroine, I need some strong, mean looking guy… this scene will be set in or shortly after russian prison, heroine resists Bratva, who want to recruit her… I can ignore they only take men for a second. Calculations? Something which gets… 694784… may be encrypted Ьратва… won’t be expected… maybe… 833.60417389^2… unless I am misstaken and have made an error…&quot[li]

Appolonia smiles at Professor Sketch.

&quotMeteorology? A very interesting topic.&quot

She looks closely at his eyes. Hers are blue, but shift constantly with the motion of drifting clouds, and the occasional flash - when something catches her interest, as now - of lightning.

&quotI have collected some lore about the East. Perhaps you would like to join me for coffee some time, and we can share our notes?&quot

&quotI do like your idea of bringing the character of Death on to the stage. Though he is otherwise rather absent here in the Neath. I do not know the legend of the ship in whose hold he lies prisoned. It sounds well worth hearing. Perhaps you could tell it to me sometime.&quot

&quotOf course, a love story about Death would be best. All the best operas have love stories at their hearts.&quot

[quote=Professor Sketch]

&quotMeteorology,&quot Sketch improvises, &quotThough the history of the East is of great fascination to me, as well. Indeed, Thrice Drowned Jones was quite a highlight. Whatever your upcoming work is, play, opera, or other, I’m sure it will be of the same quality as tonight’s performance. I would absolutely adore an opera exploring some of London’s fables of Death. My personal favorite is the story of ‘a ship in whose hold Death lies prisoned.’ Juicy stuff, eh?&quot[/quote]

Irene acknowledges Appolonia’s statement with the vague salute of her profession, more or less a two-fingered wave in the general area of her forehead. “I’ll let them know. Did you know my Da’s something of a musician himself? I think he might like to talk shop with you afterwards, maybe collaborate on a libretto or two.”

Her attention soon wanders, however. Most of the audience is either talking to the composer, or else amongst themselves. One, however, seems to have neither come forward nor made… himself? Known. She knew his face, though, from the University.

“Edward Sane, was it?” She introduces herself without ceremony. “Irene Psmith. You might know me from the Benthic First XI; I was fifth wicket last match.”

Appolonia smiles at Irene.

&quotI’d love to collaborate with your father on some music. That would be such a thrill and honor.&quot

Her eyes are suddenly a little wet.

&quotAh, I am just thinking of my own father. It is what I had hoped he and I might do some day. But, at least I have the hope that he is at peace, or found what he was looking for, anyway.&quot

&quotThank you. Please let him know. I would be glad for the chance.&quot

[quote=Rackenhammer]Irene acknowledges Appolonia’s statement with the vague salute of her profession, more or less a two-fingered wave in the general area of her forehead. &quotI’ll let them know. Did you know my Da’s something of a musician himself? I think he might like to talk shop with you afterwards, maybe collaborate on a libretto or two.&quot

&quot[/quote]

[li]An angular, ragged-haired woman in a rather understated picture hat plods her way in, steps punctuated by the thud of a typically gaudy cane. She has, once again, managed to fail at totally removing the soot of her profession, a smear of ash at the shoulder threatening to transpose itself onto her elaborate gown. Out of her mouth comes one of those peculiar American efforts at speech: &quotLate! Inexcusably late for everything! Nearly missed the Overture, didn’t pin my hair properly, m’so sick of funerals and this one nearly made me miss your lovely-Here she looks about Quite a lot of people then, is it? Late for everything, that’s me. Nevermind. Lovely vindication of the right to female self-determination I thought. Credit to suffragists everywhere! Good to see all the consideration of Drownie-kind, like I’ve said. Inspired syncretism, nicely dancing around the censorious impulses of the Ministry. Oh! And gorgeous music, but that’s only to be expected of you, as ever. So, so sorry to be tardy.

&quotEleonor! I’m so glad you made it. You were such a help organizing my thoughts, as put the opera together.&quot

She gives her a hug, and introduces her to Mr. Gul.

[quote=Eleonor Donegal]
[li]An angular, ragged-haired woman in a rather understated picture hat plods her way in, steps punctuated by the thud of a typically gaudy cane. She has, once again, managed to fail at totally removing the soot of her profession, a smear of ash at the shoulder threatening to transpose itself onto her elaborate gown. Out of her mouth comes one of those peculiar American efforts at speech: &quotLate! Inexcusably late for everything! Nearly missed the Overture, didn’t pin my hair properly, m’so sick of funerals and this one nearly made me miss your lovely-Here she looks about Quite a lot of people then, is it? Late for everything, that’s me. Nevermind. Lovely vindication of the right to female self-determination I thought. Credit to suffragists everywhere! Good to see all the consideration of Drownie-kind, like I’ve said. Inspired syncretism, nicely dancing around the censorious impulses of the Ministry. Oh! And gorgeous music, but that’s only to be expected of you, as ever. So, so sorry to be tardy.[/quote]

[/li]

A thin, absent-looking man manages to make a small part in the crowd, likely because of his companion. A six foot tall corpse sprouting bristling spores of fungus from the right half of it’s head and upper abdomen.

“Von Ravenscroft! Let me congratulate you on a flawless performance!” Eli smiles genuinely with a bow. “I haven’t seen such beauty on the stage before and I don’t know if I ever will again, unless it be another of your works!”

Ezekiel, the consumed thing, looks to be somewhat bashful. It slinks a safe distance towards Appolonia and offers her a gift basket with a note attached. He retreats rather quickly in a somewhat child-like manner, leaving behind a slight scent of lilac and iron.

Appolonia turns to Eli and Ezekiel.

Eli notices that she does not react to his friend’s peculiar appearance, but has a warm smile for both of them.

&quotThank you, sir. You flatter me. I am very glad you enjoyed it. I will certainly let you know when we stage the next one.&quot

She accepts the gift basket from Ezekiel with a smile. &quotOh, how kind!&quot

&quotA pleasure to meet you both.&quot

[quote=The Absurd Rogue]A thin, absent-looking man manages to make a small part in the crowd, likely because of his companion. A six foot tall corpse sprouting bristling spores of fungus from the right half of it’s head and upper abdomen.

&quotVon Ravenscroft! Let me congratulate you on a flawless performance!&quot Eli smiles genuinely with a bow. &quotI haven’t seen such beauty on the stage before and I don’t know if I ever will again, unless it be another of your works!&quot

Ezekiel, the consumed thing, looks to be somewhat bashful. It slinks a safe distance towards Appolonia and offers her a gift basket with a note attached. He retreats rather quickly in a somewhat child-like manner, leaving behind a slight scent of lilac and iron.[/quote]

Appolonia turns back to Professor Sketch.

&quotCaligula’s would be lovely. Let’s plan on it.&quot

[quote=Professor Sketch]

Sketch freezes for a brief moment at the sight of her eyes, his usually impeccable image of the artistic socialite disrupted.
The storm.
Is she one of them? Could she give him answers?
&quotA love story would be perfect, as there are scarce few about Death,&quot he replies, years of social training allowing him to quickly recover, &quotdespite him being such a romantic character. I would love to share notes - over the years I have amassed, to be honest, an embarrassing amount on the East - and tell you the legend, by the way - it’s rather a secret weapon of mine whenever a conversation gets dull. Would Caligula’s be good? I’m free tomorrow.&quot[/quote]

Jolanda speaks at Appolonia and Dirae at the same time.
&quotOh, my notebooks are available for all who want to see them. They are indeed my own work - I doscovered that Greek myths had become so sanitized when exported to the West, and I wanted to preserve something of the old stories. There are darker versions, much more vivid and much truer to the spirit of the land. Of course you might prefer the well-known versions in the end and this is absolutely fine - they also reflect the place and its meeting with other cultures.&quot She smiles at both, and spreads her fan again to hide the beginning of a blush. Talking when so emotional from the play was not a good idea.
When she spots Maria she lowers the fan again. &quotAh, you made it. If I knew you were interested in opera, we could have picked you up from the University.&quot

[quote=Jolanda Swan]Jolanda speaks at Appolonia and Dirae at the same time.
&quotOh, my notebooks are available for all who want to see them. They are indeed my own work - I doscovered that Greek myths had become so sanitized when exported to the West, and I wanted to preserve something of the old stories. There are darker versions, much more vivid and much truer to the spirit of the land. Of course you might prefer the well-known versions in the end and this is absolutely fine - they also reflect the place and its meeting with other cultures.&quot She smiles at both, and spreads her fan again to hide the beginning of a blush. Talking when so emotional from the play was not a good idea.
When she spots Maria she lowers the fan again. &quotAh, you made it. If I knew you were interested in opera, we could have picked you up from the University.&quot[/quote]

She smiles at Jolanda &quotWell… I lack experience about opera and didn’t want to admit… anyways, since I think I will write one, can you actually write an opera in three languages, say Russian, Polish and English? Or make two different operas until the third act, so viewers will have to return to see the whole story? And make it about things people shouldn’t be familiar with, like those annoying Vory v Zakone. A thieves home is prison. Ha! A thieves home is the world. And a thief CAN have a job! And be female! And should ONLY have one woman!&quot this probably makes it obvious what the tatoo on her arm, which reads BOP means. &quotSorry… as I said, I get carried away easily&quot She scratches her neck, grinning nervously, obvioulsy lacking anything from society.

“Well, I think an opera can be about anything as long as it is about passion” Jolanda says from behind her fan. “But I am not certain if the powers that be would follow my way of thinking. Even dear Appolonia had trouble with some of her most daring compositions, and she is the epitome of grace. If you would have my opinion, never let them hold you back - just be aware of the consequences. Oh, and who is Vory y Zakone?” she whispers. “I have to hear that story…”

&quotWell… the Vory are idiots… a group of criminals. A big, russian one. With it’s own rules. With which I completely disagree… had contact with them in Prison… on my first time there. The second, I barely was let out of my cell, the third, fourth and fifth were here… and passion… good I intend to do it about numbers then! And theft! And jewellery and money…&quot

“Well, the Vory can be the villains trying to deter the heroine from her heist” smiles Jolanda. “Any opera needs villains.”

&quotGreat idea! Now, what about the hero of the other fragment… to get more moneys from the viewers… maybe a Wor v Zakone? And the Heroine IS the villain of the other part?&quot

Irene laughs at Edward’s comments on Summerset. “Oh, pompous for sure, and venal besides! But honestly, I wouldn’t mind either of those near so much if they didn’t put on airs of moral superiority. I’m venal enough myself to prefer feasting to research. But don’t tell the Principal that!” She winks at the androgynous scholar.

“So what’s your field? Mine is Critical Theology.”