A Night at the Opera

The Game-Carver approaches the pair at a brisk pace.
“Lady Appolonia, Sir Gul, I would like to get some commentary from the play’s creators. First things first, is your romantic interpretation of the Drowning Feast based on another work, or an idea of your own breeding?”
Their thick snakeskin notebook is open and the Game-Carver’s black pencil prepares quickly scratch more notes on the matter onto paper.

She greets The Game-Carver.

&quotI have heard many tales about the Drowning Feast, in my research. This is but one. I cannot attest to its truth, personally. There may be many things possible, depending on the Fathom-King’s mood, and I daresay I wouldn’t risk his wrath by putting all his secrets on the stage.&quot

&quotAt least not this season…&quot She grins.

&quotBut, of all the things I heard, it seemed to me most compelling. A feast with seven courses, each with a name. And names that could speak both to the experience of drowning, and the experience of falling in love.&quot

&quotAh, but I see the very person who shared the tale with me! He could likely tell you more. Absimiliard, the Curious Captain, is one of my best sources - in addition to the drownies themselves - for tales of the waters far beyond the naval blockades, where I myself have never zailed.&quot

She waves and smiles at Absimiliard.

(Mr. Gul would undoubtedly chime in to clarify that he did not play a role in composing the opera’s score or libretto - that’s her work. He is there for company and to enjoy the show.)

[quote=Vavakx Nonexus]The Game-Carver approaches the pair at a brisk pace.
&quotLady Appolonia, Sir Gul, I would like to get some commentary from the play’s creators. First things first, is your romantic interpretation of the Drowning Feast based on another work, or an idea of your own breeding?&quot
Their thick snakeskin notebook is open and the Game-Carver’s black pencil prepares quickly scratch more notes on the matter onto paper.[/quote]

[quote=Appolonia]She greets The Game-Carver.

&quotI have heard many tales about the Drowning Feast, in my research. This is but one. I cannot attest to its truth, personally. There may be many things possible, depending on the Fathom-King’s mood, and I daresay I wouldn’t risk his wrath by putting all his secrets on the stage.&quot

&quotAt least not this season…&quot She grins.

&quotBut, of all the things I heard, it seemed to me most compelling. A feast with seven courses, each with a name. And names that could speak both to the experience of drowning, and the experience of falling in love.&quot

&quotAh, but I see the very person who shared the tale with me! He could likely tell you more. Absimiliard, the Curious Captain, is one of my best sources - in addition to the drownies themselves - for tales of the waters far beyond the naval blockades, where I myself have never zailed.&quot

She waves and smiles at Absimiliard.

(Mr. Gul would undoubtedly chime in to clarify that he did not play a role in composing the opera’s score or libretto - that’s her work. He is there for company and to enjoy the show.)

[quote=Vavakx Nonexus]The Game-Carver approaches the pair at a brisk pace.
&quotLady Appolonia, Sir Gul, I would like to get some commentary from the play’s creators. First things first, is your romantic interpretation of the Drowning Feast based on another work, or an idea of your own breeding?&quot
Their thick snakeskin notebook is open and the Game-Carver’s black pencil prepares quickly scratch more notes on the matter onto paper.[/quote][/quote]

Agata went over to Appolonia too &quotUhm, Fräulein von Ravenscroft, ich hätte ein paar Fragen. What inspired you for this play… And why do happy endings always happen to people who aren’t me?&quot
edited by Rysiek on 6/4/2016

At the sight of Appolonia Absimiliard will approach. The Captain acts very Continental, leaning in to kiss near each cheek in turn, a careful act, avoiding smearing makeup on either of them.

“Wonderful work. Truly.”

Turning to the Game-Carver, I should correct a misapprehension. The source of this story, a feast for the Fathomking, was not in fact The Drowning Feast. It was instead a feast prepared for the Fathomking by my ship’s Cook. The Bandaged Poissonier founded the restaurant Jonah’s in the Tomb Colonies, I merely had the good fortune to acquire him as one of my Officers. The feast was his Piece de Resistance, presented to the Fathomking. He was kind enough to prepare it here in London once as well."

With that he turns to the his companion and – commenting they have a date for dessert and drinks – departs. As he departs he gives Appolonia a nod and wink of approval, “Truly, well done.”

“I know I wouldn’t.” Irene states flatly to Absimiliard. “If I gave something away, it would mean that I didn’t want it myself anymore. Self-denial’s never been part of my line.”

She pushes off, going to greet her friend and the composer of this interesting little opera. “Well, congratulations! You seem to have brought down the Hall opening night! I trust there will be a repeat performance? Ma and Da may like this one.”

[quote=Rysiek]Agata went over to Appolonia too &quotUhm, Fräulein von Ravenscroft, ich hätte ein paar Fragen. What inspired you for this play… And why do happy endings always happen to people who aren’t me?&quot
edited by Rysiek on 6/4/2016[/quote]

Appolonia turns to Agata, expression thoughtful.

&quotI suppose there are many inspirations. I read myths and lore and fairy tales. I remembers the operas of the Surface. I have spent years transcribing the songs of the drownies, and finding instrumentation to match their eerie melodies. I chat with zailors and collect their zee shanties. I think stories of the zee are very powerful.&quot

&quotStone, Salt, and Storm is a trinity here. Storm is easy enough to imagine in a zee story. Stone is the safety of the South, referenced here. But Salt, I used to think it stood for salt water. But it’s more than that. Salt is the god of horizons, partings, tears, and the outward urge - the desire to explore. All of those forces are in the story, though Storm is most visible.&quot

&quotBut happy endings… We all reach for them. I hope art can sometimes inspire belief in what is possible.&quot

&quotAnd it is a matter of faith here. All shall be well. The Anchoress - Julian of Norwich - also a woman of vivid dreams and faith - teaches us that all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well by the purification of the motive in the ground of our beseeching. The leap of faith. The belief that when belief triumphs over doubt, and we act from the best motives, from belief and love - all will be made right and well in the end.&quot

&quotI don’t believe that every day. It is hard. But I try. I try to remember it.&quot

&quotIt is a seed we can re-plant in our thinking each day. Or try, anyway.&quot

&quotAnd life is not an opera. You never know what Act you are in. You do not know if your ending is happy until your last day. And here, where death is only temporary, there are very few endings at all. But there is happiness.&quot

Appolonia beams at Absimiliard.

&quotThank you!&quot

&quotIt is a pleasure to see you, both! I am so glad you came.&quot

[quote=absimiliard]At the sight of Appolonia Absimiliard will approach. The Captain acts very Continental, leaning in to kiss near each cheek in turn, a careful act, avoiding smearing makeup on either of them.

&quotWonderful work. Truly.&quot

Turning to the Game-Carver, I should correct a misapprehension. The source of this story, a feast for the Fathomking, was not in fact The Drowning Feast. It was instead a feast prepared for the Fathomking by my ship’s Cook. The Bandaged Poissonier founded the restaurant Jonah’s in the Tomb Colonies, I merely had the good fortune to acquire him as one of my Officers. The feast was his Piece de Resistance, presented to the Fathomking. He was kind enough to prepare it here in London once as well.&quot

With that he turns to the his companion and – commenting they have a date for dessert and drinks – departs. As he departs he gives Appolonia a nod and wink of approval, &quotTruly, well done.&quot[/quote]

Quote: Appolonia
&quotAnd life is not an opera. You never know what Act you are in. You do not know if your ending is happy until your last day. And here, where death is only temporary, there are very few endings at all. But there is happiness.&quot[/quote]
&quotSo I never know whether this is the ending, Appolonia&quot Agata asked, as she wrote the answers down &quotTo say the truth, I would prefer if this was the Ending… That way, nobody would be angry… I screwed up enough already, at least I am a journalist now! And I hope love won’t find me. It might end up wih a crucifix in it’s mouth and a Lupara at it’s brain.&quot

Dirae Erinyes will step forward and present a small bouquet of long-stemmed orchids. They are faded but only slightly.
“Not as traditional as roses, but I wish to keep my messages clear. Please let me know when the next opera is, especially if you do more work on Greek mythology. It’s a favorite of mine.”

Appolonia hugs Irene, when she greets her.

&quotI am so glad you could come!&quot

&quotYes, the opera is scheduled to run for the remainder of the month. There are plenty of opportunities for others to see it.&quot

&quotI’d be happy to get you tickets in a box for your parents, if they’d like to come one night. Just let me know which night. Your father has always been so kind to me.&quot

[quote=Rackenhammer]&quotI know I wouldn’t.&quot Irene states flatly to Absimiliard. &quotIf I gave something away, it would mean that I didn’t want it myself anymore. Self-denial’s never been part of my line.&quot

She pushes off, going to greet her friend and the composer of this interesting little opera. &quotWell, congratulations! You seem to have brought down the Hall opening night! I trust there will be a repeat performance? Ma and Da may like this one.&quot[/quote]

Appolonia is thrilled by the bouquet of long-stemmed orchids from Dirae Erinyes.

&quotHow beautiful! Thank you so much.&quot

&quotI am so glad you enjoyed the performance. It is very much to the credit of the singers and the musicians.&quot

&quotI will definitely keep you informed of when the next opera will open. It will almost certainly feature mythological themes. Greek seems likely, particularly given confirmation that there is interest in it.&quot

&quotI do hope to see you again. I always enjoy conversation with scholars of mythology.&quot

&quotYour name… the Furies were often a chorus… providing judgment, yes? I am extra glad you are pleased with the performance, by that context.&quot

She smiles.

[quote=Shadowcthuhlu]Dirae Erinyes will step forward and present a small bouquet of long-stemmed orchids. They are faded but only slightly.
&quotNot as traditional as roses, but I wish to keep my messages clear. Please let me know when the next opera is, especially if you do more work on Greek mythology. It’s a favorite of mine.&quot[/quote]

Dirae Erinyes will give a small nod.
“My first wife loved Greek mythology stories and taught them all to me. While my names have changed, I’ve always been named in honor of her love. Fitting to the theme of the opera tonight. I am glad you have noticed, not many do.”

Jolanda, who has accompanied Absimilard, has only spoken to congratulate Appolonia. She has not glanced at Irene once, and politely greets Mr Gul, whom she seems to recall from the University. She apologizes for keeping silent; the opera made her cry and she needs some moments to collect herself. However, she follows closely the Greek mythology talk. “I happen to have some slim volumes of the lost Greek myths” she offers. “Notebooks, really. They move away from the classical, if you would like to have a look.” Her voice betrays the emotion that washed over her mere hours ago.

Appolonia smiles at Dirae.

&quotAs you prove just now, there is ample reward for noticing such details.&quot

&quotI am not the only one here in the Neath who enjoys hearing love stories. But it is something I enjoy. A great source of inspiration! If you ever wish to tell more of her and that love story, I would be glad to hear it.&quot

[quote=Shadowcthuhlu]Dirae Erinyes will give a small nod.
&quotMy first wife loved Greek mythology stories and taught them all to me. While my names have changed, I’ve always been named in honor of her love. Fitting to the theme of the opera tonight. I am glad you have noticed, not many do.&quot[/quote]

&quotIs that me or to our dear playwright? Either way, I accept.&quot Dirae Erinyes jokes. &quotAre the notebooks your own work?&quot

[quote=Appolonia]Appolonia smiles at Dirae.

&quotAs you prove just now, there is ample reward for noticing such details.&quot

&quotI am not the only one here in the Neath who enjoys hearing love stories. But it is something I enjoy. A great source of inspiration! If you ever wish to tell more of her and that love story, I would be glad to hear it.&quot

[quote=Shadowcthuhlu]Dirae Erinyes will give a small nod.
&quotMy first wife loved Greek mythology stories and taught them all to me. While my names have changed, I’ve always been named in honor of her love. Fitting to the theme of the opera tonight. I am glad you have noticed, not many do.&quot[/quote][/quote]

&quotWe met when she became the inheritor of my parent’s house. Allow to me explain: she was the only daughter of a Baronet. His marriage produced no children, but his affair while serving in India did. He sent money and provided for her but they never met. She was called to Britian as his only inheritor. My parent’s house was his country estate in Scotland - he lent it to them for their research. He never sought to reclaim after his death. According to Evensong, he took the stories of it’s supposed haunting quite seriously. When she came to reclaim it, she found me.

She was my first friend. The first person after my parent’s death to not run away but instead insisted that I come to live with her. She introduced me to her garden, to her stories, to my whole world for the next two decades. I become an author because she loved my stories. She become my wife because she loved me. &quot Dirae Erinye’s voice catches on sadness. &quotThen she was killed.&quot

[li]
Maria, knowing only Jolanda, Irene and Eli stood in a corner, taking notes &quotGreek, myths, those are those with that Zeus guy and those titans and that nonsense, right? Why can’t someone write an opera based on… physics… or simple theft. Or the Bratva… wait, I am going to write an Opera myself! Mrs. Swan, would you help me with the music? The coldest opera of London is going to be performed. A bittersweet, realistic ending, a thief, ruthless accuracy… the bratva as an antagonist, the mafia both on and against them. All against the heroine. People speaking nonsense, like that with the sizes of male genitals… new inventions… a lot of russian, and, if it has to be in an opera, slavic myths. Maybe I will throw the Baba Yaga in. And lets not forget numbers. Real numbers, imaginary numbers, many ways to write them. Misscalculations by very small amounts. Graphs, complex formulas, long and accurate calculations. Which will have big consequences and a big significance on the plot. Calculations which may spoil the ending, if done correctly and then changed into the russian alphabet. How does that sound?&quot Probably Maria, who looks now so happy she could light all of London, would be the only person interested in such an opera &quotOh, and the opera was wonderful. Can I get two cards for tomorrow? Probably somewhere hidden from the rest of the audience.&quot Maria hands a ring to Appolonia &quotNoone close to me had a rose, so I stole this ring. Hope you like it.&quot[/li][li]
edited by Rysiek on 6/4/2016

Appolonia looks delighted when Jolanda mentions volumes of lost Greek myths.

&quotThat would be splendid if you would let me borrow the volumes, or view them at your lodgings. I should be ever so grateful! That is so exciting. Quite an inspiration, I am sure.&quot

She gives her a hug.

&quotI am so glad you came.&quot

[quote=Shadowcthuhlu]

&quotIs that me or to our dear playwright? Either way, I accept.&quot Dirae Erinyes jokes. &quotAre the notebooks your own work?&quot[/quote]

&quotMe too! All the better, to have more with whom to discuss the stories within.&quot

Appolonia listens thoughtfully to Dirae’s story.

&quotShe sounds so wonderful. I am so sorry for your loss.&quot

&quotIt sounds like the best of her lives yet in you. Are you an author? I should be glad to read your work sometime.&quot

[quote=Shadowcthuhlu]

&quotWe met when she became the inheritor of my parent’s house. Allow to me explain: she was the only daughter of a Baronet. His marriage produced no children, but his affair while serving in India did. He sent money and provided for her but they never met. She was called to Britian as his only inheritor. My parent’s house was his country estate in Scotland - he lent it to them for their research. He never sought to reclaim after his death. According to Evensong, he took the stories of it’s supposed haunting quite seriously. When she came to reclaim it, she found me.

She was my first friend. The first person after my parent’s death to not run away but instead insisted that I come to live with her. She introduced me to her garden, to her stories, to my whole world for the next two decades. I become an author because she loved my stories. She become my wife because she loved me. &quot Dirae Erinye’s voice catches on sadness. &quotThen she was killed.&quot[/quote]