The Missing Candle is a reliably quiet pub in Veilgarden – the drinks are cheap, the food is… extant. These days it is best known as the meeting place of a very exclusive club – one that happens to include you.
The Candlefinder Society – the five greatest detectives in London – regularly meet to talk shop. Sometimes, you join forces to unravel the city’s most unusual mysteries. Today we’re releasing another new case for you to solve: the Case of the Stolen Sceptre, written by Michael Bunning.
The Urchin Detective has – at long last – found herself a willing pet. The Unkempt Collie is small, hyperactive, and riddled with fleas; the perfect companion for the diminutive sleuth. Provided, of course, that you can prove his innocence and clear his name of the charges levelled against him by one of the city’s haughtiest cats.
This case is available for free.
Getting Started
Candlefinder mysteries are episodic stories set in London, available from the midgame onwards. To unlock the Candlefinder Society:
Complete ‘A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets’ (raise that quality to 7)
Complete ‘A Name Whispered in Darkness’ (raise that quality to 7)
Raise your unmodified Watchful to 90 or more
If you meet those conditions, you can gain access to the Candlefinder Society by drawing a guaranteed card in London. Once started, cases must be finished before you can start another one or replay a past case. Some, like this one, require additional progress in other storylines, or higher stats, to begin. Cases can be replayed; Fate cases don’t cost anything to replay. The reward for completing a given case for the first time is more substantial.
Trying to solve the mystery of the disappearing case - I could have sworn the text told me I was in Wolfstack. I stepped away from the story in the middle of a fight and now can’t find my way back. Anyone have clues?
Embarassing but I’m lost right at the beginning. Said something about going to talk to a tiger. I tried the labyrinth but that isn’t it. Not sure how a urchin would get to the Elder Continent – but maybe there is the next step.
Finally making headway on this after catching up on the other Candlefinder case I missed while grinding Stuviers, and I can’t help but feel my colleague the Urchin Detective has a little conflict of interest in this case.
Just a little.
“He couldn’t have done it, he’s a good boy” is a very novel line of inquiry in this business.
The Urchin Detective is probably my spouse’s favorite character so far, plus this one involved cats. I saved all the text I could and then read it as an evening story when it was my turn for such. Much appreciated