A modest proposal for a certain bandage candidate

So by now I suspect most people keeping tabs on our fair cities’ politics have heard the rumors that have begun to swirl regarding our frontrunner candidate, Feducci. Namely, that despite claiming to be a champion of fair play his own gambles have all been rigged. He organizes and participates in duels to the death despite being unable to die. He uses insider connections and knowledge to ensure his riskiest gambles always pay off well. Some have gone so far as to claim that he personally acted as a slave driver aboard diabolic vessels during the war with hell, and delighted in his role of tormenting fellow londoners who had been taken during the failed invasion.

If true, it all certainly seems rather damning. But I have a particularly frustrating habit of arguing for ill-advised causes, so permit me to propose the following:

It’s all true, and he’s still our best choice for mayor.

Anyone who might argue otherwise has lost sight of the most important part of this mayoral election: it’s a dog-and-pony show put on by the true powers, those who reside in their sigil-etched bazaar towers and feed on our romances. Those who regard us as particularly inconvenient cogs in their incomprehensible, century-spanning machinations. I speak of course, of our beloved Masters.

Let us not forget our role in the Neath. We are, at best, their cattle. When it is convenient for them to do so they allow us to pretend we are more, but ask any who have stood or spoken out against them how long that illusion lasted. It might perhaps prove difficult, given how many of them vanish into the Special Constable’s wagon never to be seen again. And especially let us remember the most damning truth of all, one that the Master’s themselves don’t even bother to deny: we are not the first city, nor shall we be the last. The very moment we cease to provide these eldritch beings with whatever it is they require of us, we are dead. Crushed by their newest pen of cattle. Perhaps a few of us might survive and make a new life for ourselves in this new city. Likely most will not. For all we can accomplish here, for all the wonders and secrets we might unearth, we are still cattle kept in the world’s largest gilded cage: the Neath itself.

Do you think they permit this election for any reason other than to mollify us with the idea that we are in control of our own destiny? That we have agency in our lives, in our futures? We’ve all seen how laughable that idea is. Our last mayor had grand ideas of reform. Of brightening the future for those less fortunate. I have nothing but love for Jenny, but if she accomplished anything beyond token victories during her term, it was certainly invisible to myself.

This might strike many of you as a rather grim view on things, but rest assured there is more to do with this conclusion that wallow in nihilism. A conclusion that one candidate already seems to have realized. We must unfetter ourselves from this status quo the Masters have built for us and claim power for ourselves. Not echoes, not secrets, not even authority over others. No, the truest and oldest power: that to shape your own fate. That is what Feducci embodies. All will be able to try and seize that for themselves. Many will fail, dead or broken in the attempt. Indeed, ironically, many will lose more freedom than they have now. But those among us who can make the attempt will be able to truly free themselves of the invisible shackles on all our wrists. They will stand equal with even the masters, cattle no longer.

Feducci is not a kind man. He is not going to bring us utopia. He has seized every advantage he can in this world so that he can find that true freedom, and with his example he beckons us to do the same. I for one would rather a man with that vision be at the helm of our city than one who’s chiefest concern is with polishing the bars on our cage.

You’re looking at this in entirely the wrong way. We need a mayor who can improve the basic standard of living in London to ensure the city is ready for the completion and ascendancy of the Dawn Machine. Then, progress shall be possible without change.

[quote]if she accomplished anything beyond token victories during her term, it was certainly invisible to myself.[/quote]Well, yeah. She didn’t help out the wealthy, because the wealthy don’t need helping. She’s done a lot to improve literacy rates among the dockers and urchins, and being able to read is a very often necessary part of being able to make something of yourself in the world.

Your title suggested implicit unaccountably peckish!

Which…that wasn’t.

Oh well, off to the Chapel of Lights now.

[quote=Mordenn]So by now I suspect most people keeping tabs on our fair cities’ politics have heard the rumors that have begun to swirl regarding our frontrunner candidate, Feducci. Namely, that despite claiming to be a champion of fair play his own gambles have all been rigged. He organizes and participates in duels to the death despite being unable to die. He uses insider connections and knowledge to ensure his riskiest gambles always pay off well. Some have gone so far as to claim that he personally acted as a slave driver aboard diabolic vessels during the war with hell, and delighted in his role of tormenting fellow londoners who had been taken during the failed invasion.

If true, it all certainly seems rather damning. But I have a particularly frustrating habit of arguing for ill-advised causes, so permit me to propose the following:

It’s all true, and he’s still our best choice for mayor.

Anyone who might argue otherwise has lost sight of the most important part of this mayoral election: it’s a dog-and-pony show put on by the true powers, those who reside in their sigil-etched bazaar towers and feed on our romances. Those who regard us as particularly inconvenient cogs in their incomprehensible, century-spanning machinations. I speak of course, of our beloved Masters.

Let us not forget our role in the Neath. We are, at best, their cattle. When it is convenient for them to do so they allow us to pretend we are more, but ask any who have stood or spoken out against them how long that illusion lasted. It might perhaps prove difficult, given how many of them vanish into the Special Constable’s wagon never to be seen again. And especially let us remember the most damning truth of all, one that the Master’s themselves don’t even bother to deny: we are not the first city, nor shall we be the last. The very moment we cease to provide these eldritch beings with whatever it is they require of us, we are dead. Crushed by their newest pen of cattle. Perhaps a few of us might survive and make a new life for ourselves in this new city. Likely most will not. For all we can accomplish here, for all the wonders and secrets we might unearth, we are still cattle kept in the world’s largest gilded cage: the Neath itself.

Do you think they permit this election for any reason other than to mollify us with the idea that we are in control of our own destiny? That we have agency in our lives, in our futures? We’ve all seen how laughable that idea is. Our last mayor had grand ideas of reform. Of brightening the future for those less fortunate. I have nothing but love for Jenny, but if she accomplished anything beyond token victories during her term, it was certainly invisible to myself.

This might strike many of you as a rather grim view on things, but rest assured there is more to do with this conclusion that wallow in nihilism. A conclusion that one candidate already seems to have realized. We must unfetter ourselves from this status quo the Masters have built for us and claim power for ourselves. Not echoes, not secrets, not even authority over others. No, the truest and oldest power: that to shape your own fate. That is what Feducci embodies. All will be able to try and seize that for themselves. Many will fail, dead or broken in the attempt. Indeed, ironically, many will lose more freedom than they have now. But those among us who can make the attempt will be able to truly free themselves of the invisible shackles on all our wrists. They will stand equal with even the masters, cattle no longer.

Feducci is not a kind man. He is not going to bring us utopia. He has seized every advantage he can in this world so that he can find that true freedom, and with his example he beckons us to do the same. I for one would rather a man with that vision be at the helm of our city than one who’s chiefest concern is with polishing the bars on our cage.[/quote]

[li]
Despite a recent lapse in conviction brought on by the thrill of drugging Mr. Eaten with confisticated honey, this sums up why while I’ve given up on active support, I haven’t quite made the leap to switching candidates yet. If nothing else, this will be an experiment in testing just how much they’ll let us rattle the cages before the gaolers do anything. I don’t even have anything against the Masters personally, I just don’t intend to die in this miserable little cave and don’t mind messing with them now and then.

…well, okay-that and I’ve given up on political debates when I appear to exist in a different timezone from every other player here.

Also-if him being in charge creates favourable conditions for my favourite vaguely Judgemental denizen (Salt won’t return my calls, and Stone is far too distant)? All the better!

This is a rather novel argument – the Mayoral race is a big dog and pony show to distract the masses, so let’s elect the biggest dog and pony show of them all. That will learn the bats.

The truth is, the Masters are not remotely opposed to Feducci and Feducci is not even pretending to oppose the interests of the Masters. Feducci is in fact an ideal Mayor for the Masters in terms of character and program. Feducci is extremely corrupt and hence easily bribable (he’s in the pay of the Presbyterate and Hell after all, what would it matter to add the Masters to the list of people paying him off?). Feducci is an immortal being who has no real attachment to or loyalty for London, same as the Masters (well, save Mr Fires). Furthermore, Feducci’s ideas are utterly unworkable in practice and so he won’t present an alternative to the Master’s dominion. The only coherent part of Feducci’s program is his pledge to get rid of various regulations and restrictions (like liquor license restrictions), which will suit the Masters just fine as their hold on London is fundamentally economic. In other words, the less power the elected city government has in economic affairs, the easier it will be for the Masters to strengthen their rule.

But most important of all, Feducci is not the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner. You will recall that the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner has pledged to reduce consumption of alcohol and prisoners’ honey, which will hurt the business interests of Mr. Wines and Mr. Spices, respectively. She is further planning to enact new rights and protections for London’s workers, legislation stanchly opposed by Mr. Fires, Mr. Irons, and Mr. Veils. Her policies would also reduce the number of Urchins, so fewer subjects for the Vake to rule over on the roofs of London.

So the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner is running against the interests of five, count them, five Masters (plus Mr. Veils’ alter ego). If the Mayor’s office has any power of consequence when pitted against the Masters of the Bazaar, this would be the ultimate test, a program that would greatly annoy and inconvenience a majority of them. Feducci in contrast hasn’t made a single statement or promise that challenges the interests of any of the Masters. That’s because he doesn’t plan to. Feducci doesn’t care about fighting the Masters because he doesn’t care about the Masters…or London, for that matter.

You know, looking at this makes me wonder.
Who is feducci trying to appeal to anyways? The masses? The same masses whose vote barely matters if at all?
No, I’m starting to suspect Feducci is trying to appeal to the malcontent power players in london who want to rise ever further in the world for their own benefit.
Feducci promises the masses a chance to rise up, to become someone greater than they currently are.
What I suspect Feducci means is that they have the chance to be spent as fuel and thrown in the trash when no longer useful to those striving higher in the world.
Funny. Isn’t that what’s already going on, just with different names? Because to me that’s what Feducci’s campaign boils down to is offering to shuffle the deck, not throw away the game. There will still be pawns, and there will still be players like before.
The only thing Feducci is really offering to change is which is which.

I figured Feducci to be courting the middle-class vote. Business owners who would profit from deregulation; social climbers who want a chance to enter the aristocratic elite; speculators who see him as a kindred spirit.

I’d say that Feducci is appealing to ‘people who know what they’re doing’, as those would be the ones able to take advantage of the exceptional mobility he proposes. Well, those, and your average optimists who only think that they know what they’re doing. I’m fairly certain that the middle-class is not being courted to a greater degree, as the people there actually have a lot to lose, so most of them wouldn’t want to risk gambling it away. The poor have little to lose though, and the very wealthy can afford to lose a lot and still be able to sleep comfortably. So if anything, London with Feducci as Mayor might see an increase of the middle-class, as poor people climb up, and some of the elite drop down.

I haven’t heard Feducci mention deregulating businesses or liquor licenses. That sounds like boring Surface politics, well beyond his gaze.

I know I saw mention of Feducci’s plan to relax liquor licensing laws somewhere, but I can’t remember where exactly. In any case… his appeal seems to be to those who don’t want to change the system, per se, but who think they could be doing a lot better within it if only they had advantage X, or weren’t being held down by impediment Y. People who have a greater-than-average likelihood of calling themselves &quotentrepreneurs&quot.

(The Detective’s supporters, meanwhile, remind me of reading about the kind of committees that begin as an effort to determine imports duties and end up declaring that shopping would be 17% more rational if it were done entirely by upside-down bicycle and proposing that all roads be replaced with suspended pedal-rails.)

(Incidentally… what does &quotequality in death&quot mean, when declared by a man who does not die? Perhaps some really are more equal than others.)

[quote=Arcanuse]You know, looking at this makes me wonder.
Who is feducci trying to appeal to anyways? The masses? The same masses whose vote barely matters if at all?
No, I’m starting to suspect Feducci is trying to appeal to the malcontent power players in london who want to rise ever further in the world for their own benefit.
Feducci promises the masses a chance to rise up, to become someone greater than they currently are.
What I suspect Feducci means is that they have the chance to be spent as fuel and thrown in the trash when no longer useful to those striving higher in the world.
Funny. Isn’t that what’s already going on, just with different names? Because to me that’s what Feducci’s campaign boils down to is offering to shuffle the deck, not throw away the game. There will still be pawns, and there will still be players like before.
The only thing Feducci is really offering to change is which is which.[/quote]

Out of character, this is pretty much my take on it as well. Feducci reads like a particularly unscrupulous player character at times, one whose main goal has been to see and do everything he can in the Neath while amassing as much influence and power as possible. He seems to be appealing to that same type of character, promising to loosen the few restrictions still placed upon them under a vague guise of making things ‘fairer’ for everyone.

That said I do think it amounts to more than just a new brand of boot on London’s neck. He does seem genuine about his idea of allowing anyone who wants to, regardless of station or status, attempt to rise. He’s just particularly realistic about the fact that most will be rungs on the ladder rather than climbers themself.
edited by Mordenn on 7/5/2017

I wouldn’t be surprised.

I think the only thing Feducci appeals to is players and a morbid curiosity vote. Who in their right mind would elect him? People who don’t actually need to deal with the consequences.