"A little omen": Making the best of a mood

I just drew the &quotA little omen&quot card. I’ve drawn it a few times, years ago, when I first played and when it did something completely different(something with second chances maybe?) and once in the last few months, which was my first contact with those most extravagant hats: moods.

Now I hesitate to play it… what is the mechanically most profitable way to use a mood? I have (base) Watchful over 190, Shadowy under 120 and the other two stats around 150. I have most of the cutting-edge equipment. What are actions that benefit from a ridiculously high Watchful? Or a very high other stat? I heard using a Shadowy mood while visiting the Forger was profitable, but my Shadowy isn’t great.

(I’m sure this topic has been discussed before, but the only thread I could find is slightly off-topic and dead for half a year.)

I used my last one to boost my watchful and get an Impossible Theorem from the University but I kept hold of it until I had the Searing Enigmas (edit to add I also made sure I had two full candles and used the second chance trick). I expect it would be useful for Manufacturing the Searing Enigmas as well, if you have the Uncanny Incunabulum.
I’m not so sure about the Shadowy boost for the Forger - a mood gives +30 but, I presume you would have the +5 hat already, so it just gives an extra 50 Cryptic Clues. So unless you had another profitable shadowy thing to do it isn’t really worth doing that in my opinion.
The only other things I can think of are making certain carousels 100% straightforward - Boxes of Intrigue for shadowy; the Velocipede Squad for Dangerous or doing Expeditions for watchful.[li]
edited by circe on 2/4/2014

Studying Correspondence plaques requires a minimum Watchful of 100 + 10*(Actual Scholar of Correspondence). You can use the mood to have access to new level of Scholarlyness!

This said, you also need some healings, a lot of corrispondence plaques, extraordinary implications, aeolian screams.
And levels of Scholar over 14 are practically useless, as far as i know.

[quote=Andrea Serafini]Studying Correspondence plaques requires a minimum Watchful of 100 + 10*(Actual Scholar of Correspondence). You can use the mood to have access to new level of Scholarlyness!

This said, you also need some healings, a lot of corrispondence plaques, extraordinary implications, aeolian screams.
And levels of Scholar over 14 are practically useless, as far as i know.[/quote]
Sitting at 20; nothing new yet afaik. I used 20 ‘nurse back to health’ social actions in going from 17 to 20, so it’s a good bit of healing.[li]

I used my last mood to get ~200 extra Lamplighter Beeswax from killing frost-moths in the chandler’s cottage. I guess that’s not something I can recommend. ;)

[li]Is this still considered the best thing to do? If so, what’s the best way to go about it? Having been kicked out of the university, will I still be able to do this?
[/li]

It’s still a good use of it, though if you’re not in good standing with the University you won’t be able to do that. Thankfully you can reestablish your academic standing by going on a voyage of Scientific Discovery - collect enough pages of the three different kinds of research and you’ll be welcome again.

Its a good use if you want an impossible theorem or a bunch of enigmas, anyway. There’s really only one use for the theorem so its mostly a collectable thing.

You can use a Mood to boost your Shadowy and increase your return (in Surface Currency) from robbing a drunken rat in Spite. That works best if you have very high Someone is Coming, so that you can repeatedly spam the action over the hour that the Mood lasts. I made 150-odd Echoes doing that from not very long ago.

At the highest levels, see this link for watchful uses, otherwise Challenging thefts with the master burglar for shadowy, the rosers (nadir) for persuasive, and not really that much for Dangerous. There’s also advancing professions and cards/options that give resources based on levels.

You can also use it to unlock new stuff, such as professions, but that’s a lot more situational and harder to suggest.

[quote=Aximillio]At the highest levels, see this link for watchful uses, otherwise Challenging thefts with the master burglar for shadowy, the rosers (nadir) for persuasive, and not really that much for Dangerous. There’s also advancing professions and cards/options that give resources based on levels.

You can also use it to unlock new stuff, such as professions, but that’s a lot more situational and harder to suggest.[/quote]

Isn’t the rosers check too hard for the mood to matter anyway?

[quote=Percenila]
Isn’t the rosers check too hard for the mood to matter anyway?[/quote]

It should give you a percent or two extra chance of success.

The question there though isn’t so much ‘will you succeed’ as ‘how many second chances/actions will it take to succeed’. So it should drop your time until success by about one action i think.

But you still need to draw the card, which is down to luck, so you’re probably better off picking watchful and grinding chess.

I have now gotten my second mood card EVER, and feel like I can only waste it. None of the suggestions I’ve seen in this thread are viable.

Any advice for me?

Don’t sweat it. Wait until you have a stat-based reward card show up, and throw the dice. Mechanics of progress, say, or the new option on the connections card from the Blemmigan content. You might get nothing, you might get very slightly more than you would do otherwise.

The cards are nice, but unless you’re trying push the limits of the possible (courier’s footprint, say), or trying to get your stats that little bit higher for some content (go for the 3-supply / action option during an expedition, say), they really don’t do that much.

I finally got the Amber Card to boost my Watchful high enough to get to Scholar of the Correspondence from 20 to 21 … and it didn’t work. I got no boost at all, my Watchful is capped at 295, and I’m completely hosed. I shouldn’t be this upset, but I waited for WEEKS to get the card, and now my mood didn’t even register. I thought it was supposed to provide a Watchful boost, and it did nothing whatsoever.

It is not very clearly explained (as far as I remember) but you need to equip the item, which is a hat, to get the Watchful boost.

Yes, I am indeed a ninny. This worked perfectly well and I am a prat.

For future reference for robbing Rats, you need a whole lot of someone is coming: I had 19 levels over the course of a month or so and worked it back down to 1 in 29 actions. For a 20 candle pool, you’ll want to be about level 17. Along with the mood card, I also banked the Gift from the Relicers, so it might not be easy to do without a 4 or 5 card lodging.

I did gain a pretty penny though at 134 per action I gained 118 echoes and a Ratwork watch.

(Yes, I’m bringing this back from the undead! But I wanted to make a post on this topic anyway, and everything said here covers it. Besides, I wanted to write down what level to aim for in case I forgot).

Yes, I am indeed a ninny. This worked perfectly well and I am a prat.[/quote]

You’re not a ninny, Pedantic. I didn’t realize you needed to equip a Mood until I reported my failure to get a different result as a bug and one of the FBG people told me! That’s being a ninny.