A little help here?(POTENTIAL SPOILERS)

Greetings,captains,delicious friends,or any identity you are comfortale with

So,I’ve just finished a mod that translates Sunless Sea into Chinese,I’ve spent a lot of time diving into Fl lores,finding any possible meaning of a single word to make sure the translation work won’t destroy the flavor, re-creating some pun to make them reasonable&interesting for Chinese players–and after the work,I’m so glad and proud that this magnificent masterpiece can be appreciated by a wider audience.

It was this pride and joy that drove me to gather more collaborators and start working on Sunless Skies,However,I only found out that comparing to sse,It’s not that much details about ssk on the fifthcity wiki.And so far by now my team has already come across a couple of problems,and there must be much more.So,I really could use a hand from you guys.

1.Titania.I’ve learnt it’s a wonderful city that lies upon a giant flower,is this name after the farie queen from Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream? If so,I’d like to choose more female-like words instead of words that make people think of Titan(We rarely distinguish between feminine and masculine in Chinese,but its possible to use different words to tell the difference)

2.petal fall.I’m wondering if it’s relative to the word whale-fall? If it’s true,I will find a more appropriate translation to convey this hint.

3.Eleutheria.I know it’s after an Greek Goddess,the question is which one is it? The one that represents freedom, or another name of Artemis?Besides,I don’t understand how can either of them be related to this sky.

4.Tacketies.What’s the root of this word? Wiki suggests it’s the name of a bunch of people who resisting the Queen’s rule,but I don’t know why they were named this way.

5.Worlebury-juxta-Mare.Does this name sound equally stupid to you native speakers? So the &quotjuxta-mare&quotpart means nearby a horse,and Worle is a place of England,do I really need to translate it by this way? Or is translating by its pronounciation a better way?

6.jervaise.Who is they? All I can find is a book named The Jarvaise Comedy,so is they a master of joker or something like that? I also find some pages from fl wiki,but it seems not helpful.

Anyway,these are all the difficults my team have come across,If anybody can help,my team and I (And all future Chinese players) would be very very appriciate.Thank you all.

[quote=Oracle404]Greetings,captains,delicious friends,or any identity you are comfortale with

5.Worlebury-juxta-Mare.Does this name sound equally stupid to you native speakers? So the &quotjuxta-mare&quotpart means nearby a horse,and Worle is a place of England,do I really need to translate it by this way? Or is translating by its pronounciation a better way?

[/quote]

Let me pick an easy one. This is a parallel formation to Weston super Mare. The mare is not a horse, it means sea (so the name suggests a classical education; it’s a posh name). There are other place names that are similarly formed; it has a &quotmerrie old England&quot flavour to it. Bury is linked to burgh or borough, possibly German Burg (castle). So it doesn’t sound stupid, but it does have some clear associations.
Town of Worle next the sea.

[quote=Oracle404]1.Titania.I’ve learnt it’s a wonderful city that lies upon a giant flower,is this name after the farie queen from Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream?[/quote]That is probably the reference there, yes. I don’t think any other possible Titanias come to mind - the faerie queen is the One and Only.

[quote]3.Eleutheria.I know it’s after an Greek Goddess,the question is which one is it? The one that represents freedom, or another name of Artemis?Besides,I don’t understand how can either of them be related to this sky.[/quote]Given how Eleutheria is closely associated with the Liberation of Night, and the LoN with ideas of freedom and, well, liberation - it’s most likely the one that represents freedom.

[quote]6.jervaise.Who is they? All I can find is a book named The Jarvaise Comedy,so is they a master of joker or something like that? I also find some pages from fl wiki,but it seems not helpful.[/quote]Jervaise is a named minor character that appears across the games - he’s an agent of Mr Wines, and plays the Bearded Lady at the Carnival from time to time. He’s the affable, but dishonest type.

As far as where FBG originally got the name from - I don’t have any obvious suggestions. Looking at how the Comedy translated it seems as good an idea as any.

[quote=Oracle404] 4.Tacketies.What’s the root of this word? Wiki suggests it’s the name of a bunch of people who resisting the Queen’s rule,but I don’t know why they were named this way.[/quote] &quotTackety&quot describes a boot with soles reinforced by visible tacks or short nails (in Scottish English you might call them &quottackets&quot). So both lower class and lower to the ground than their enemies, the Stovepipe hats.

[quote=Meradine Heidenreich]
Let me pick an easy one. This is a parallel formation to Weston super Mare. The mare is not a horse, it means sea (so the name suggests a classical education; it’s a posh name). There are other place names that are similarly formed; it has a &quotmerrie old England&quot flavour to it. Bury is linked to burgh or borough, possibly German Burg (castle). So it doesn’t sound stupid, but it does have some clear associations.
Town of Worle next the sea.[/quote]
Thanks!This make it a lot easier for me,now I can translate it by its pronunciation and use words related to water.

[quote=Vavakx Nonexus]
Jervaise is a named minor character that appears across the games - he’s an agent of Mr Wines, and plays the Bearded Lady at the Carnival from time to time. He’s the affable, but dishonest type.[/quote]
Well,I’m even more confused now,what’s the meaning of &quotJervaise’s Rest&quot?Because every meaning of the word &quotrest&quotI know cannot be used as a place name.Am I missing anything here?

[quote=elderfleur]
&quotTackety&quot describes a boot with soles reinforced by visible tacks or short nails (in Scottish English you might call them &quottackets&quot). So both lower class and lower to the ground than their enemies, the Stovepipe hats.[/quote]
This is very helpful for my work!I’m still considering whether to use 党(it means party in chinese) or 人(less political in meaning,just a bunch of people),May I ask your opinion?

Also,my team has got other problems,hope these are not too childish or weird to you!

1.Caduceus.Despite knowing what it means, I can’t translate it well. Because the Double Snake Staff always brings to mind a stick rather than a place.But if I take the phonetic translation, most Chinese players will have a hard time realizing the connection between the name and the Double Snake Staff.Any idea?

2.Brabazon.Some sources suggests this is a female name,why did FBG/Londoners name the factory after a woman?Is there any allusion or story here?

3.Pan.Surely it doesn’t mean pot here,then is it after Pan,the god of Shepherd?If so,I’m afraid things get even worse:we usually call it the Pan god,because we hardly use monosyllabic words nowadays,but adding god to a place name is weird in Chinese,too.

Hope you all have a great day!

I’m guessing that’s where Jervaise is buried. It’s his final resting place.

I’m not sure. &quotBrabazon&quot is also a surname - there are a few famous Brabazon families, including politicians and aristocrats, but I can’t find any that seem especially relevant.

Almost certainly after the Great God Pan, yes. Both Pan the location and Pan the god are characterised by pipe music, deep dark forests, and wild displays of emotion. I imagine that it might also be a pun on the Greek prefix &quotpan-&quot, meaning &quotall&quot or &quoteverything&quot - because it’s such a diverse and egalitarian place - and also on &quotpandemonium&quot.

I’ll try to help with Pan. The name references Greek demigod Pan, god of forests, nature and shepherds, who was renowned for his playing on Pan flute (Pan flute - Wikipedia), and such music announces change in Pan. Also, Pan was wild god (its quite a mild word), and whole Eleutheria is a place of revolutionaries, which fits. It also may help: word &quotpanic&quot takes its ultimate source in Pan.
Name &quotPan&quot literally means &quotall&quot, &quoteverything&quot.

re. Jervaise’s Rest
It’s not unusual for people to name a place, or even a house, in this way – it’s the place where they finally settle down. There’s a place called “Digger’s Rest”.

I haven’t played this yet, so can you give a little more information about the Brabazon factory? There was a huge plane called the Brabazon that was built just too late to be deployed in WW2 – any link there?

Just came across this little note in an ES:

The file notes that Mr Wines has an aide, Jervaise, who moonlights as the bearded lady at Mrs Plenty’s carnival

Greetings!I have to say that this translation work has taught me a lot,haha.

Here’s the wiki page (Brabazon Workworld | The Fifth City: Fallen London's Lore Wikia | Fandom),I suppose this has something to do with the Little Nice?

By the way,Hybras(or Hy-Brasil,you may find more information here–Hybras | The Fifth City: Fallen London's Lore Wikia | Fandom)has been bothering me,I used to think it had something to do with the word &quothybrid&quot,but its alias does not support this idea.

And,is Britishness the way i think it is?like,how much of a traditional British gentleman can one be?

Thank you all again for your patience!