A list of Bazaar items not to buy

[i]Puts rattus faber on list

You failed an inspired challenge!
Scandal is increasing… +99999999CP
You are moving to a new area: disgraced exile in the tomb-colonies[/i]

Well,bye folks!
(I deeply apologize for the rattus faber decision. so much hate.)
edited by GamerGallade on 1/11/2016

No hate, just clarification! And I remember thinking the same about that rat for a long time until I got more accustomed to the mechanics.

That said, I’d argue except for a Fate available action, Rooms over a Dusty Bookshop are a 1 scrap 3 card lodging with no making waves bonus item.
edited by Parelle on 1/11/2016

No hate, just clarifying. It can really help out, if you know how to use it. Otherwise it’s a whiskered menace as you first thought.

No hate intended! Explication and teasing, but not hate.

You need leg irons for one of the options on the skeleton key to increase your criminal connections.

Or was it manacles? One of those.

Okay. I was just kind of irked because even after I changed it after the 3 &quotuseful&quot comments with nobody saying &quotnot useful&quot the standard I was using for changes, the rattus faber comments refused to stop.
edited by GamerGallade on 1/11/2016

You need both, plus Ragged Clothing, MidnightVoyager.

[quote=GamerGallade]Okay. I was just kind of irked because even after I changed it after the 3 &quotuseful&quot comments with nobody saying &quotnot useful&quot the standard I was using for changes, the rattus faber comments refused to stop.
edited by GamerGallade on 1/11/2016[/quote]
Sorry, a lot of people- like me- load up the forum on the bus, read, start to write a reply, forget, post it later. sorry.

Nope, just the Iron Legs. You need 5 Pairs of Iron Legs, 500 Greyfields 1879, 50 Ragged Clothing, 100 Stolen Correspondence, 15 Renown, and 7 Criminal Favours.

Really, the Blunderbuss? What do people get instead? I used mine for weeks until I could afford an Ancient Hunting Rifle, and have no regrets. Especially since it has the funniest description and sell message in the game.

Actually the Rattus Faber is –– just kidding.

looks at your profile, and sure enough…
Seems like someone has an interesting evening prepared! ;)

Bottled Oblivion is useful if you for whatever reason do want to lower stats. I’d imagine this as being mostly applicable to high-level characters who want to see everything, even failures, for completion’s (or the wiki’s) sake. Though some others might just want the effect in general - I’m not naming any names here, but a certain NiteBrite could elaborate.

Bottled Oblivion also does have a rare success which provides an Eyeless Skull and Searing Enigma as a bonus. In fact, for a while this was an incredible method of grinding money before the chance was lowered!

Not trying to rub it in, just want to clarify since I’m not sure it’s been mentioned explicitly yet – one of the reasons the Talkative Rattus Faber is so valuable is because you can use it to drop challenges to Low-Risk (90%) so you get 2CP per success instead of 1 (for Straightforward – 91%-100%). For some people, this comes up every week when they go into the Nadir, get their stats dropped one or two levels, then go to a place like Wilmot’s End (or the Affair of the Box grind for Shadowy) to raise their stats back up to the level cap. The TRF makes this go twice as fast by providing an easy way to make those challenges Low-Risk rather than Straightforward. In other words, it’s one of the most important items in the game for many players.

I can understand it looking like an outright joke item, though. Certainly, that was my first reaction to seeing it in the store.

I’ve used the Blunderbuss early on for most of my characters, for weeks at least. Echoes are hard to come by, early game. It’s hardly useless at 0.5 echoes, when the next option is 12.80 echoes for Dangerous +2, which you could spend on a host of other things and get more benefit than an extra point in Dangerous. (I also love the text, as Toper mentioned).

I’ve used ridiculous hats and bottled oblivion a very few times, to lower my stats within range of something or other. (They differ due to the particular stats which they drop.)

I never used the Ragged Clothing because I just used the Rough Gown or the Maidservant’s Uniform instead to get the -1 Persuasive (while also getting a +2 in another stat). Works as a roleplaying item, though.

Never used the irons, of course; I assume they’re just sold in the Bazaar for completionists who sold their first ones early on. Not a bad reason to offer them.

As for the scuffed boots… no idea. I admit I always found it strange that the scuffed boots didn’t have any modifiers on them at all. Persuasive +1 would’ve made sense.

All these items are worth less than 1 echo, though. If you buy them, the consequences are very mild indeed.

[quote=Optimatum]Bottled Oblivion is useful if you for whatever reason do want to lower stats. I’d imagine this as being mostly applicable to high-level characters who want to see everything, even failures, for completion’s (or the wiki’s) sake. Though some others might just want the effect in general - I’m not naming any names here, but a certain NiteBrite could elaborate.

Bottled Oblivion also does have a rare success which provides an Eyeless Skull and Searing Enigma as a bonus. In fact, for a while this was an incredible method of grinding money before the chance was lowered![/quote]
WhaaaaAAAt? I don’t get mentioned? What about my signature… I’ll just go elsewhere…

Anyways, I drank a lot of Oblivion and stared at a lot of eyeless skulls (around 50, which is why the &quotbottles of oblivion&quot bit in my sig, oblivion+skulls) so I could fail some challenges and see what happens when you fail fate content, it’s fantastic.

The hat isn’t really useful unless you want to tank persuasive and nothing else.

Oh, and Oblivion doesn’t give out Searing Enigmas and Eyeless Skulls anymore, it was removed on account of new players could buy Oblivion, drink it at no stat downside and quickly get a hundred echoes within 20 actions or something (breaking the economy).

A new account can still get 100 echoes in 20 actions without doing anything… it just takes five months! (And that’s not even counting the Antique Mysteries from Trade Secrets…) Nyuk nyuk nyuk. I’m curious how that broke the economy though… 10-echo gifts?

The minor stat-reduction items can also be used to lower your stats below 100 to permit your patron to train you one more time. That’s a limited use, so the only reason to have them permanently is aesthetic.

– Mal

Asides from being able to buy your way through everything, you could also ferry the Eyeless Skulls onto a different account.

I am thinking of adding a small list to the end of items with a few uses, because the ragged clothing and leg irons do have uses. Leg irons may go off the list, but ragged clothing can be obtained fairly easily from bundles of oddities, thus should not be bought.

I am going to add either the ridiculous hat or the bottled oblivion, whichever is better. One would not need both.