A Headlamp To Cut Through The Fog

Just wanted to say that while this may seem like a small thing to some, the inclusion of both fog and headlamp as revealed in the latest cast are absolutely glorious. While I do think it’s a pity they won’t currently be tied to stealth mechanics (or indeed any mechanics other than sight), it’s still a massive step in the right direction as far as visuals and tone, as far as I’m concerned. I’m definitely looking forward to the next build update.

P.S. As a slight aside, it would be nice to be able to turn it on and off.

[color=#6666ff]Glad to hear you’re pleased with this A Parliament of Hounds it does add a lot of atmosphere doesn’t it? I’ve only just returned from my Christmas holidays and I’ve not had time to watch the podcast myself yet (blush) so I’m not sure if it was mentioned but we don’t currently intend to turn the light on and off. As always though we do listen to feedback and we’d like to know what everyone thinks about the light and fog in general once it’s out the door.[/color]

I’d like to second this. Immediately when the game launched into early access I was like “where’s the headlight?”. I couldn’t be more excited to see it back in the game. I’d also like to say that you guys have done a good job making the fog look unique and fit in with the game world. Also, it’ll make the vast stretches feel more empty because you never know what could be hiding in the fog.
edited by Ludovide on 1/12/2018

Although I’d love to see how the fog plays out across the different regions. Is Albion going to be lit up from the fires of industry and are elutheria and the blue kingdom going to be dark and spooky? This has really got me looking forward to the other regions

Also, if only for roleplaying purposes, I’d like to be able to turn off the lamp. As far as in game mechanics, if anything, I think it should affect heat rather than terror. Heat is a new mechanic and you all should play with it as much as possible.

i finally saw this on the latest blogs, it looks interesting, if perhaps a little blinding.

I definitely have to echo the sentiment that we should be able to turn it off. If it doesnnt affect any mechanics yet then that would still be desired as an aesthetic choice.

As for mechanical implementation of it, i think there wasn’t much wrong in theory, with the old concept of choosing between more fuel usage or more terror. But it would be nice to know exactly how much it affects either of these so the captain can make an informed decision.
In sunless sea the severity of the effect on fuel use wasnt well communicated and i think most people just left it on by default at all times anyway

[quote=Ludovide]I’d also like to say that you guys have done a good job making the fog look unique and fit in with the game world. Also, it’ll make the vast stretches feel more empty because you never know what could be hiding in the fog.
edited by Ludovide on 1/12/2018[/quote]

[color=#6666ff]Thank you, we’re quite pleased with how it looks and the atmosphere it creates. And yes, sometimes there really will be things hiding in that fog, but I can say no more at this point only to that I hope it frightens you as much as it did me when testing it! Our artists really are cruel [/color]:(

[color=#6666ff]Again, I can reveal no spoilers, you’ll have to wait and see, though I can tell you that Albion looks epic! I keep looking over our artist’s shoulders and my jaw keeps hitting the floor. [/color]

[color=#6666ff]We’re actually looking into our heat mechanics at the moment, though I’m not certain about the tweaks we’ll be making to it just yet. Much tweaking to be done. I doubt at we’ll have toggle-able lights but again, we’re always listening to that feedback[/color]
[color=#6666ff]
[/color]
[color=#6666ff]
[/color]

[color=#6666ff]I’ll be honest, I’m still catching up after a very long Xmas break and I’ve not watched that podcast yet (naughty Fuzz) I’ll be watching it later though. If I’m right, we’ll have toned it down already. We’ve just fixed an amazing bug where the beam was insanely bright on certain locomotives, it was like a lightsaber. We called it the God-Ray! No need to fight your enemies, just blind them with your headlights! [/color]

[quote=Nanako]
But it would be nice to know exactly how much it affects either of these so the captain can make an informed decision. In sunless sea the severity of the effect on fuel use wasnt well communicated and i think most people just left it on by default at all times anyway[/quote]

[color=#6666ff]This ^ [/color]:+1: