A final end and a new beginning-thoughts

Having just finished the Heart’s Desire ambition, and seeing the 10th anniversary poster about our character being able to go to a ‘final end and new beginning’ in the Discord FBG server, I’m curious on everyone’s thoughts on that. On one hand, I’d like to see any new variations my ‘new character’ sees, but I’m worried that all our progress and efforts on past stories will be forgotten. When the time comes I want to know exactly will happen to my character (gameplay wise) before making that final decision.

I understand FBG will likely provide more details on this, but what does everyone else think? If given the chance, would you start out ‘fresh’ too? Or would you continue growing your current character.
edited by The Ambivalent Dynamo on 5/7/2020

I’d continue to grow my current character. I’ve become way too attached to him to ever let him end.

I don’t use Discord. Would it be possible to explain what you mean by this “Final End and New Beginning”?

If/when you complete your Ambition, there’s a zero-action storylet which is a teaser for upcoming content. Here’s mine (it contains no spoilers):

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/PSGarak/18225099

The relevant part under discussion:

That, plus some official FBG playbill posters that are circulating around, seem to imply a “New Game Plus” mode. But it’s all very speculative right now.

I’m surprised no one seems to have mentioned the potential significance of the word “ENIGMATIC” in that quote…

[quote=PSGarak]If/when you complete your Ambition, there’s a zero-action storylet which is a teaser for upcoming content. Here’s mine (it contains no spoilers):

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/PSGarak/18225099

The relevant part under discussion:

That, plus some official FBG playbill posters that are circulating around, seem to imply a &quotNew Game Plus&quot mode. But it’s all very speculative right now.

I’m surprised no one seems to have mentioned the potential significance of the word &quotENIGMATIC&quot in that quote…[/quote]

Thank you for that and now I’m scared. Just like Winthropx I too have become exceedingly attached to my character. I mean, a huge point of my character’s purpose is to &quotnever end&quot so to speak.

I suppose we’ll just have to wait and see.

That was why I wanted to share my uncertainties with this piece of news. As much as I like revisiting old content with new variations, losing our character to a ‘final end’ may potentially (I could be wrong) lose all progress/qualities/items we made and got on our characters so far. Because of the treachery of clocks, I don’t mind redoing old content, but starting out ‘fresh’ has me concerned.

The prevailing theory is that this will allow us to play other ambitions on the same character, so I’d be very surprised if this meant significant damage to our characters. Failbetter knows our propensity for collecting weird items and qualities. They won’t just delete it all, especially considering some of it was purchased with Fate.

My guess? We’ll reset our main stats, replay Making Your Name, things in that vein.

I wouldn’t mind that Optimatum. So long as we can keep our story progress on the ‘most’ of the stories (i.e. ambitions, late game content, poet-laurate, etc.) items and echoes I can see it working. Granted the words ‘final end’ give me reason to worry, but hopefully FBG will clear that up eventually.

It’s just that after finishing the Heart’s Desire ambition, I don’t like the possibility that my character’s actions will be undone. Same can be said for any of us that did late game content(A scholar of the correspondence, labs, etc.), major story arcs, seasonal festival content (elections) or exceptional stories. I’m a big fan of character growth so the equivalent of a ‘alternate playable character’ raises flags.

[quote=The Ambivalent Dynamo]I wouldn’t mind that Optimatum. So long as we can keep our story progress on the ‘most’ of the stories (i.e. ambitions, late game content, poet-laurate, etc.) items and echoes I can see it working. Granted the words ‘final end’ give me reason to worry, but hopefully FBG will clear that up eventually.

It’s just that after finishing the Heart’s Desire ambition, I don’t like the possibility that my character’s actions will be undone. Same can be said for any of us that did late game content(A scholar of the correspondence, labs, etc.), major story arcs, seasonal festival content (elections) or exceptional stories. I’m a big fan of character growth so the equivalent of a ‘alternate playable character’ raises flags.
edited by The Ambivalent Dynamo on 5/7/2020[/quote]

I’m sure it’ll be cleared up, but the growth my character has done in the Neath and all the festivals I’ve done with him makes it very hard to want to give him up. He’s lived through the birth of the election and now Whitsun. It’d be hard to give up all the qualities and RP I’ve done with him through that.

Yeah, same. I wouldn’t want to give up my Cider, or Noman tattoo, etc.

I would enjoy a reset that lets us play a new ambition and probably resets, like, main stats and progress qualities and stories, but not something that resets qualities that took a year to get.

The theorizing in this thread just made me think of some of the mechanics in Sunless Sea and Sunless Skies, where a descendant of a character can inherit some of the things (items and such) from the character that meets an unfortunate end. So I wonder if what’s in the offing here is some version of that-- like I, for instance, could sort of ‘reset’ as Tintinnabulum Jr., retaining the items, stats, connections (or at least some of them) while still setting out anew, Making-Your-Name wise along with the other early stories.

[quote=Amalgamate]Yeah, same. I wouldn’t want to give up my Cider, or Noman tattoo, etc.

I would enjoy a reset that lets us play a new ambition and probably resets, like, main stats and progress qualities and stories, but not something that resets qualities that took a year to get.[/quote]

You summed up my thoughts on the matter precisely. I didn’t wait literal years for my cider just to give it up for an uncertain ending.

[quote=Optimatum]The prevailing theory is that this will allow us to play other ambitions on the same character, so I’d be very surprised if this meant significant damage to our characters.
…snip…
things in that vein.[/quote]
Things that good! :D
I’m sure there are a lot of players that did more harm than that to their characters! :D

I confess I have gotten rather attached to my dear Lady Karnstein and her schemes.

It’s not easy to let go of our characters, especially if most of us have likely spent many years and stories with them. I wouldn’t like for example to see the triumphs and scars of my character after finishing Heart’s Desire be forgotten, and would love to see the impacts it may have in future stories. I’m sure there will be more stories to come as well. It’s possible the ‘final end’ may be more to us than it sounds. I’ll give FBG credit on surprising us in ways I didn’t expect, like the Ardor content/the incoming Whitsun festival. A final end may be more abstract then it sounds.
edited by The Ambivalent Dynamo on 5/9/2020