A Crazy Mr Eaten Theroy (SPOILERS)

Okay, so first off, before I begin, let me just say that I will be going into spoilers for subscriber stories asx well as what little I know about Mr Eaten, so needless to say spoilers here.

Okay, let us begin.

[spoiler]So when The Waltz That Moved The World came out, a rather interesting fragment was found if one took a specific path. Namely, that the secret a certain blind man was keeping was a fragment from a document called The Tragedy Procedures. Of course, this got me thinking. What would be on that document that would require a Prcedure just in case? A certain Mr Eaten of course.

Then I got into thinking of the term of phrase that many relate to him: &quotA reckoning shall not be postponed indefinatly.&quot and a whole other can of worms opened up for me.

Now alone these two things seems unimportant. But let us look at the nature of the word postpone:

This implies that this reckoning has been planned (or is a event) but it has been postponed by The Masters. But for a event to be postponed rather then outright canceled, at some point IT MUST OCCUR.

This is my hypothesis:

At some point, some misguided idiot of a Seeker (Looking at you Nitebrite) sucessfully accomplishes their goal. Except that causes a reckoning to no longer be postponed. London is in danger, Mr Eaten is powerful, and things are on fire or being consumed left and right. You, alas, get killed on the crossfire, a mercy really. The Masters relate to their Tragedy Procedures… And suddenly, things are back to normal. You wake up in New Newgate looking for a way to get out. A certain lady is looking for Lodgers. All is well and all manner of things shall be well.

In short, my theory is that with the unique effect of The Neath being away from the Judgement’s laws, time itselrf is more maleable, and that this is one of the so calle Tragedy Procedures: if things get too bad, all will be well.

Or so it seems.

Because as you can see by the Mr Eaten character page, he has 999 Watchful. In short, HE WILL REMEMBER THIS. And he knows his Reckoning was postponed.

Hence the warning. Now no longer a warning but a promise. &quotOne day your procedures will fail. There will be nothing you can do. A RECKOING WILL NOT be postponed indefinatly!&quot

Now imagine how horrific it would be in Eaten got ahold of even a fragment of these Procedures.

Like one embedded in a eye…[/spoiler]

Fun! But I believe the story tells you why the Masters formed the Procedure, and it relates to a different, particularly hateful baddy.

But they do have more than one procedure. This one may not have been about Mr. eaten, but there’s no reason another one can’t.

Love the theory btw.

&quot…in the event that the Drowned stirs, we will apply the measures indicated in Annex Thirty-Three; Annex Thirty-Four; the Prelapsarian Conditionals; and the Spire-Sign. Through these measures…&quot

This one just ended up as a Searing Enigma, though.

[quote=Kylestien]Okay, so first off, before I begin, let me just say that I will be going into spoilers for subscriber stories asx well as what little I know about Mr Eaten, so needless to say spoilers here.

Okay, let us begin.

[spoiler]So when The Waltz That Moved The World came out, a rather interesting fragment was found if one took a specific path. Namely, that the secret a certain blind man was keeping was a fragment from a document called The Tragedy Procedures. Of course, this got me thinking. What would be on that document that would require a Prcedure just in case? A certain Mr Eaten of course.

Then I got into thinking of the term of phrase that many relate to him: &quotA reckoning shall not be postponed indefinatly.&quot and a whole other can of worms opened up for me.

Now alone these two things seems unimportant. But let us look at the nature of the word postpone:

This implies that this reckoning has been planned (or is a event) but it has been postponed by The Masters. But for a event to be postponed rather then outright canceled, at some point IT MUST OCCUR.

This is my hypothesis:

At some point, some misguided idiot of a Seeker (Looking at you Nitebrite) sucessfully accomplishes their goal. Except that causes a reckoning to no longer be postponed. London is in danger, Mr Eaten is powerful, and things are on fire or being consumed left and right. You, alas, get killed on the crossfire, a mercy really. The Masters relate to their Tragedy Procedures… And suddenly, things are back to normal. You wake up in New Newgate looking for a way to get out. A certain lady is looking for Lodgers. All is well and all manner of things shall be well.

In short, my theory is that with the unique effect of The Neath being away from the Judgement’s laws, time itselrf is more maleable, and that this is one of the so calle Tragedy Procedures: if things get too bad, all will be well.

Or so it seems.

Because as you can see by the Mr Eaten character page, he has 999 Watchful. In short, HE WILL REMEMBER THIS. And he knows his Reckoning was postponed.

Hence the warning. Now no longer a warning but a promise. &quotOne day your procedures will fail. There will be nothing you can do. A RECKOING WILL NOT be postponed indefinatly!&quot

Now imagine how horrific it would be in Eaten got ahold of even a fragment of these Procedures.

Like one embedded in a eye…[/spoiler][/quote]
Well, someone’s been playing Undertale I see. While I have my doubts, I still love the idea of the Bazaar and the Masters constantly having to reset the world with an unholy bat ghost promising their eventual demise. Riveting stuff, friend. Let’s just hope that you’re wrong for both our sakes and everyone else in the Neath.

I don’t think it’d be a literal reseting, since that doesn’t seem to be something they can do, or the dawn machine wouldn’t be a thing. (why let people make their own judgement, which could well surpass the bazaar if they had choice) More likely, they have exponentially more effective countermeasures to deal with a seeker before that point, with all kinds of spies and informants. Even when you become eaten, it’s rather like the fingerking situation. He’s not competent enough to win with a single pawn, even if they catch on in time. Don’t get me wrong, he can wreck havok, but unless he proves to have exceptional powers his peers lack, he won’t win just by possessing a mortal.

The best he can do is flip the board, lead another enemy to victory, which is, i am certain, what he will do.

Destroy the nadir, freeing the realm to the sun’s gaze? Loose parabola on the neath? Conquer the dawn machine and subvert it, turning a pet judgement on his enemies? Liberate the night? He’ll try to have you do any or all of these, and seekers will do these, or more likely, try and fail.

The tragedy proceedures have options to deal with the drowned one, but they all hinge around him being weak, or hinge around the other enemies. If they’ve missed one threat eaten noticed, that’s how he’ll win.

But most players are not the first seeker to be eaten, in both senses of the word, and will not be the last. I expect being his host isn’t the end of the story, just the start.
edited by Grenem on 3/11/2016

Y’know, I’ve always had a slightly different view of the phrase &quotAll shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.&quot

[spoiler] All shall be well, (things will be alright, for me)
and all shall be well, (a hole in the ground with water at the bottom)
and all manner of thing shall be well. (everywhere shall become as this domain)

The phrase is meant to sound comforting, despite the meaning being (quite possibly) entirely different.

[quote]“Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.”
― Terry Pratchett, ‘Lords and Ladies’ [/quote]
This is all idle conjecture, mind you, but I do also find it interesting that you begin the game in New Newgate Prison, at the very top of the well, and from there the only way is down. [/spoiler]

If a reckoning is not to be postponed indefinitely, it means that it is to be definitely postponed.

[quote=Grenem]
The best he can do is flip the board, lead another enemy to victory, which is, i am certain, what he will do.

The tragedy proceedures have options to deal with the drowned one, but they all hinge around him being weak, or hinge around the other enemies. If they’ve missed one threat eaten noticed, that’s how he’ll win.[/quote]

That’s what the Torment destiny’s about, really - you show yourself to the Lorn-Flukes, then they go berserk on the Bazaar.

On the other hand, there’s a non-SMEN option to just give empower the Lorn-Flukes to overpower the Bazaar, so maybe Eaten’s plan isn’t that different aside from craving recognition.