A compiling of Unfinished Stories

&quotHAPPY ENDINGS ARE NOT TO BE TRUSTED. SAD ENDINGS ARE NOT TO BE FEARED.&quot

&quotWhy?&quot

&quotBECAUSE NEITHER ARE ENDINGS.&quot

~

Basically, this thread is here to collect/discuss all the storylines in Fallen London that don’t have a conclusion, or have a promised continuation that hasn’t been released yet.

Caveat before we begin; I haven’t explored every nook and cranny of the game, so it’s possible that I just haven’t reached where the conclusions are.
Let’s begin!

The Spirifer and the Pianist
Probably the earliest cliffhanger I ran across. Depending on who you end up supporting, you’re either trying to prevent Hell from seducing the surface cities, or cocking a snook at the Infernal powers by smuggling souls out.
So what do you think the real story is? And what are the odds that this is actually going to get a continuation anytime soon?

The Wars of Illusion
This one I’m less sure about. I’ve finished up the Mahogany Hall storylets, at least all of them that I could find, but there may be something more that I haven’t seen yet. In any case, I was very much intrigued by the Glass/Shroud dynamic, and would definitely not mind seeing more of them.

That’s all the ones I can think of for now. Post your thoughts on these, or any I missed, down below!

A few other notable lines:

The Dream Storylines (I’ve heard this is because the original writer no longer works for Failbetter)
Seeking - A bad idea. Do not seek a continuation
Ambitions (somewhat obvious)
The Labyrinth of Tigers - What lies in the Fifth Coil?
Exile from the Court - I believe anyone kicked out of the Court is supposed to be going to either the Elder Continent or the Carnelian Coast, I can’t remember.

There are also hints to stories to come (or perhaps not):
What is the Liberation of Night?
What will be found in the Parabola?
edited by Myke Harryson on 9/16/2014
edited by Myke Harryson on 9/16/2014

A couple more

The Watchmakers Daughter
The Dilmun Club

There is also the Cheery Man and the Last Constable storyline. I would love to see the Last Constable come back, she is a really nice character and it’s a shame that she leaves London at such an early stage of the game.

I believe Exile from Court is supposed to lead to the Carnelian Coast, via the Foreign Office I believe, if/when it’s ever continued.

Some of these, like the Dilmun Club, sort of have their endings revealed in the Destinies, but yeah, thanks for picking up on the ones I missed. There are a lot of possibilities for future releases…

The Cheery Man is pretty interesting, as well. I kind of wish they’d included more interactions between these two and the main storyline in general.

[quote=Snowskeeper]
The Cheery Man is pretty interesting, as well. I kind of wish they’d included more interactions between these two and the main storyline in general.[/quote]
Sadly, I don’t know much about the Cheery Man; I sided with the Constable from the very beginning, and she wasn’t very eager to talk about him. That is quite understandable, but I still wish she had told me a bit more than &quotHe’s my father and he wants me dead.&quot I hope that the continuation of the storyline will provide more information about both of them, as well as some more character backstory, and especially the cause of the conflict between them.

She did come back though - at this year’s Feast of the Rose. Many people now have her as an incognito (or should that be &quotin a cognito&quot) companion, in fact…

[quote=Asfodella]
Sadly, I don’t know much about the Cheery Man; I sided with the Constable from the very beginning, and she wasn’t very eager to talk about him. That is quite understandable, but I still wish she had told me a bit more than &quotHe’s my father and he wants me dead.&quot I hope that the continuation of the storyline will provide more information about both of them, as well as some more character backstory, and especially the cause of the conflict between them.[/quote]

He doesn’t want her dead, actually. Spoilers below:

[spoiler]He’s disappointed in her for going into the Constabulary, especially since she apparently used to understand why he did what he did. And bringing her up without a high persuasive will cause him to become very cold. But although he does want her out of the way, he definitely does not want her killed; the player-character is sent to incapacitate her, and succeeds, after which the Cheery Man ships her out to an island where, he thinks, she won’t be able to trouble him. It’s an extremely dark shade of grey, but it’s not quite the moral darkness that ordering the death of his own child would have been.

From what I can tell from the Cheery Man’s storylets, something happened between them that resulted in the LC choosing to betray him, assuming she was involved in his business in the first place, or to go into the Constabulary when she became old enough, if she wasn’t. It’s also worth noting that ‘someone’ poisoned the Cheery Man with Cantigaster venom–the only thing that saved him was his immense constitution, and the fact that he didn’t take very much. Even so, he’s paralyzed from the waist down.

The Cheery Man doesn’t seem a terribly bad sort, compared with the majority of the professional criminals in London, but I suppose we’ll have to find out who slipped poison in his beer to determine whether his actions against the Last Constable were justified. And we’ll have to find out what he did to estrange her from him, too.[/spoiler]

Thank you very much for all this delicious information; it certainly sheds some light on their story. It seems like the Cheery Man’s side of it provides a lot more information, probably because the Constable’s card is rare and only available for a limited time. Someday I will make an alt account to explore all the story branches that I missed out on.

On a different note, I have no idea if this counts as an unfinished story, but I am looking forward to the Honey-Addled Detective’s next cases. Especially the case of the Copper Thumb, which might be a reference to the Adventure of the Engineer’s Thumb by Arthur Conan Doyle.

Am I misremembering or did the University storyline imply something about visiting the Carnelian Coast if you get kicked out as well? (regardless, that’s an obvious direction for the Dilmun Club to go so.)

Also when you remove your unwelcome at the university quality it implies you might eventually get back your department.
edited by WormApotheote on 9/17/2014

[quote=WormApotheote]Am I misremembering or did the University storyline imply something about visiting the Carnelian Coast if you get kicked out as well? (regardless, that’s an obvious direction for the Dilmun Club to go so.)

Also when you remove your unwelcome at the university quality it implies you might eventually get back your department.
edited by WormApotheote on 9/17/2014[/quote]

No; it was referring to the Scientific Voyage storyline, which eventually allows you to return to the University.

No, there is actually a mention of the Carnelian Coast; you wonder if it’s nice this time of year as you leave the University while thinking of studies abroad.

All maddeningly so! I do hope these are all continued soon. Especially those that lead to the carnelian coast since it seemed that was being teased as the next big thing ages and ages ago.

Aha! Sorry; been a while since I’ve been through that one.
Shuffles off-stage