4th City Airag

Greetings, fellow citizens of the Neath[li]

I find myself in need for a 4th City Airag and my wine supply is quite low. I would appreciate if someone could direct me to the most efficient ways to get these items. I am a recently mad POSI, with high Watchful and Persuasive.
Thanks in advance

Well, they can be acquired through archaeological expeditions into the Fourth City. It’s time consuming and the chance of getting it is not great but it’s the only alternative to simply accumulating enough Wine Cellars to purchase it on the needed Opportunity Card.

Grinding Broken Giant through the velocipede squad and turning that into cellars and then Airag isn’t a terrible option either, but you need a pretty high dangerous to do it efficiently.

If you are lucky with the cards you can exchange 3 Sudden Insights for a bottle of Airag in the Cave of the Nadir.

Expeditions sounds the best option for me. Which of them would be the better? I have no access to Nadir yet, is the Shrine of Blue Heaven a good option or should I go for the Temple of Seven?

Temple of the Seven gives you a different reward, though you should still do it sometime soon (otherwise you’ll draw a card that will lock you out of doing it forever). The Shrine of the Blue Heaven can give Airag, and I want to say the Thieves’ Cache can as well. Been a while since I’ve done the Thieves’ Cache.

I’d prolly go with Affair of the box, for Strangling Widow Absinthe, and convert up. I think the foreign office is maybe more efficient, but that depends on you both having access, and not needing to be in London proper to flip cards.

How many actions (assume successes) does a round of the Velocipede Squad take? 28 actions of the AotB gives you 70 Absinthe, and completing the VS gives you 7 Broken Giant, so that might be more efficient.

Of course, you’ll have to draw the appropriate card to convert 5 Cellars into an 4CA, so I hope you’re up for waiting a month before you get your Airag.

Expeditions and Nadir are good, I wouldn’t bother stockpiling wine towards it until you draw the presumptuous opportunity card and still don’t have any airag.

Grinding Greyfields via Unfinished Business nets you 50 per action. Grinding 1500 and converting them up will take 33 actions, and will net you 10 Giants and 10 Absinthe. That’s 2.75 Actions/Giant.

Thanks all for your help. The Unfinished Business one you are mentioning is the one at Ladybones Road? I had forgotten about it, but it seems a good place to grind with my current attributes.

[quote=Saharan]Doing some basic math, if each option on the VS gives 2 CP, and you need 7 levels before you cash out, that’s 14 actions, right there. 14 actions to get 7 Broken Giant, or 28 actions to get 70 Absinthe. However, since Absinthe turns into Giant at a 5:1 ratio, 70 Absinthe equals 14 Giant. Both of these have a rate of 2 Actions/Giant. [color=#1F1F1F](Well, okay, not really since Absinthe needs to be converted up but I mean c’mon it’s only a single action)[/color]

Grinding Greyfields via Unfinished Business nets you 50 per action. Grinding 1500 and converting them up will take 33 actions, and will net you 10 Giants and 10 Absinthe. That’s 2.75 Actions/Giant.[/quote]

Well … looks like you only want to do this once, so no fractional results …

With VS, you need 14 actions to get to level 7, then 1 action more to get 7 giants, for 2.14 acions/giant.
With absinthe, you need 28 actions to get 70 absinthe, and then (since they convert in multiples of 50) 1 action to convert them to 10 giants + 20 absinthe, at 2.9 actions/giant (or, with repeated conversions, (28+70/50)/(10*70/50)=2.1 actions/giant - slightly better than VS, and you get over an echo worth of sideeffects from each conversion action)
Just grinding 1500 greyfields is 30 actions, converting up gets you 315 morelways in 3 actions, converting those up 50:10 is 6 actions for 60 absinthe (and 15 morelways), converting that up is 1 actions for 10 giants and 10 absinthe: 4 actions/giant (and some sideprofits),
… or with repeated conversions: 33 actions for 315 morelways, then (500:105) 0.63 actions for 66.15 absinthe, then 1.323 actions for 13.23 giants: 34.953/13.23 = 2.642 actions/giant

But that’s all assuming 100% successes on stat challenges.
Also don’t forget that converting wines up consumes connected:church. Not much of it, but some.

Locked out of tomb of seven? What card is it?

It’s this card.

I did my Tomb of the Seven already. I did not know you could do it only once, so is off to the Shrine, even if it is only to have enough archaeologist to access Nadir.

[li]
The Airag should be the treasure at the Shrine about 10-15% of the time, from what I can tell. The fastest way through is converting Whispered Secrets to Expedition Supplies, but that’s expensive. As I’ve written elsewhere, if you’ve got high Watchful (and if you’re doing the shrine you’d better), hitting the Zee and doing several loops through Corpsecage Island and converting Prelapsarian Archaeological Notes to Supplies is more lucrative but takes a while.

[li]
The Airag should be the treasure at the Shrine about 10-15% of the time, from what I can tell. The fastest way through is converting Whispered Secrets to Expedition Supplies, but that’s expensive. As I’ve written elsewhere, if you’ve got high Watchful (and if you’re doing the shrine you’d better), hitting the Zee and doing several loops through Corpsecage Island and converting Prelapsarian Archaeological Notes to Supplies is more lucrative but takes a while.[/quote]
More lucrative but takes a while? Time is money, my friend! Have you compared ‘Seeking Curios and Secrets in the Forgotten Quarter’ with going to zee, in the context of expeditions?[/li][li]

Plus not everybody doing expeditions is POSI. Bartering with the Tiger Keeper is a good source of whispered secrets if you have the jade, rostygold or amber. And seeking curios can be very lucrative in whispered secrets but it all depends on the airs and which options are available.[li]
edited by circe on 1/28/2014

I found out that if you are A Fearsome Duelist you can get some Cellars of Wine for free. It is a one off, but it seems worthy, specially after my last two expeditions gave me only some dirty bones. I have decied to try my luck agaist Feducci.

Free Cellars?