1896 Mayoral Candidates Discussion

[color=#cc0099]Delicious friends, while we’re sure Feducci will have much to impart on us in the coming year, we’d like to once again open up the forum to discussion. Who would you like to see as a candidate in 1896 and why?

The 1895 Election statistics are also now available on our blog.[/color]

• The Ambitious Barrister[/li][li]F.F. Gebrandt[/li][li]Grace, the Mercy

I would vote for:

1. Silas, that rogue…
  2. The Tentacled Entrepreneur (a rubberyman? Is that legal? who’s behind him?). Oh, he will sweep all votes…
    3)Virginia. Yesssss

[color=#cc0099]Please note the ‘why’ is very important to us, heh[/color]
edited by Absintheuse on 7/26/2017

A lot of this is in the Early Speculation thread :-)

For the names I’ve mentioned, this is because these are side characters who appear here and there, but we know almost nothing about them. So they are already part of the background (most players will have at least encountered them once), but their characterization can go any which way.

[quote=Gonen]I would vote for:

1. Silas, that rogue…
  2. The Tentacled Entrepreneur (a rubberyman? Is that legal? who’s behind him?). Oh, he will sweep all votes…
    3)Virginia. Yesssss[/quote]

We need a devil or deviless as mayor of London. An formal alliance between Hell and the Empire is something that we should all support as &quotits citizens.&quot With that alliance in place the London could become an &quoteven more&quot dominant force in the Neath. A vote for Virginia is vote for the expansion London’s influence and suppremacy in the Neath!
edited by Lord Gazter on 7/26/2017

• All of the ideas above are great. I already know I’d vote for Grace and it has nothing to do with bandage fetishism thank you very much.[/li][li]A devil. A literal devil. I don’t care which one. I heard provost of Summerset was a devil with clipped horns. Claiming this academic/hellish aesthetics in one swoop. Or Virginia. Or anyone really. I like devils.[/li][li]The catholic priest from Unplausible Penance. A criminal AND worse yet, a catholic, I know, I know. But we did just elect a foreign spy.[/li][li]The manager of Beth. I know he probably doesn’t want to run for mayor but think of it. He already knows how to manage a cit…- er, I meant to say, he already knows how to manage a madhouse- perfect experience for London management.[/li][li]The soft-hearted widow. Given her well, soft-heartedness, but also holding her fingers in a pie of a certain highly illegal murder game, she could be an interesting candidate. Like an unholy lovechild of DTC and Feducci and wow I didn’t need this mental image

The Turkish Girl, because I find her charming from the little content we have, and as a Shroom-Hopping Champion and low-born newcomer to the social circuit it’d be interesting to have an athlete/celebrity combo, perhaps with a backstory that could be fleshed out in greater detail, making her a blank canvas for whatever deeper mysteries your storytellers come up with… And after the Season of Stones, I could see her humble beginnings being a political selling point.

I also think it’s high time we saw the Widow stand for election. As with Feducci, there’s much more to her than meets the eye, but there’s less content – particularly new content – devoted to plumbing her very interesting character.
edited by Televangelist on 7/26/2017

As people were saying in the Early Speculation thread that they would like to see a Rubbery or Clayman candidate I thought of which ones would be recognisable.

Nearly everyone will encounter Lyme and I would love to see more of him in game.

Any one who attends the party, after they become POSI, will have met the Tentacled Entrepreneur. He has aspirations; is rich and wants to be accepted into society.

I think adding Madame Shoshana as the third candidate could be fun.

I’d like to see Doctor Taupe-Wainscot as a candidate, because I’d like to see how The Most Boring Man in Fallen London would fare in an election, what with my ‘don’t be boring’ theory. I’m certain he would have the support of many sensible people. And myself as well.

Though I suppose that being ‘the most boring’ is always going to be less boring than someone equally boring who can’t make a similar claim. A bit of a Catch-22.

Yeah, I’m rehashing what I said elsewhere, but that’s what one does in politics, right?

The Northbound Parliamentarian: She’s got a mission! She’s got a message! And she’s already in politics. Also, I would love to see more and extended 7 North rants.

Mrs Plenty: Being mayor, or even just running for mayor, would be a great boon for her business: campaign rallies at the Carnival! I want more Carnival content.

Political Tigress: I have a mayorship. Do you have a mayorship?

Whichever FL player becomes the first to achieve Paramount Presence should be Mayor for a year! ;)

Yeah, he managed his city SO well last time. Let’s give him another.

Sigh…

holds head in her hands. Why do I try?
edited by Kukapetal on 7/26/2017

Get with the program, bad management is not an impediment, it’s a part of the charm. We wouldn’t have elected Feducci otherwise ;)

Besides, hey. I’m all for second chances. And I mean, what’s the worst that could happen? (i love saying that.) London being re-sold to giant surface bats from Earth at a discount price? Un-Fallen London? London Fallen So Hard That It Re-Surfaced In Australia?

On the other note, I wonder what would happen if the amount of mayoral candidates was increased? Say, to four. Could maybe help split votes more evently rather than one candidate getting a huge cut of them, as well as make the election more unpredictable.
edited by gronostaj on 7/26/2017

[quote=Gonen]I would vote for:

1. Silas, that rogue…
    3)Virginia. Yesssss[/quote]

The why?..

1. No good reason. A lovable side character, down on his luck but with resourcefulness.

2. The Tentacled Entrepreneur - A Rubbery representative, a one we met and probably a suitable candidate, due to experience in London’s commercial affairs. Might be a good story behind this - who sponsors this one and what is the sponsor’s goal, regarding the Rubbery? How will London accept this familiar but still feared and hated race as its mayor? And Rubberymen are (I believe) likable characters by the FL players community. So we will be excited to see a candidate.

3. Mostly the same as #2. Virginia maybe isn’t the right representative for Hell, to be a mayor, but I could not find, off the top of my head, one that is known to us and right for the job.
    Someone will most likely find a better suited name from Hell to run for office, along this post.

I am actually surprisingly for this idea. It would be more strain on Failbetter though, so I don’t think it would happen. But I do think it would be fun.

Correction. Rubberymen are likable characters by a vocal group of the forum. We have no idea whether that is even a representation of the majority of the forum, never mind the overall playerbase. That of course doesn’t mean that it is either a good or bad idea to have one as a candidate, simply that I don’t think people should expect either a landslide victory or crushing defeat based on what one might have gotten an impression of on the forum.
edited by Akernis on 7/26/2017

Well, these statistics certainly prove that all the DTC supporters who were mumbling facetious nonsense about their candidate overtaking the Implacable Detective due to a letter-writing campaign were completely deluded.

I would love to see the Barbed Wit; I think she would provide the opportunity for a really interesting story, not least as the campaign for universal suffrage is specifically mentioned in her storyline. Narratively, having a possible former paramour of the player up for election is fun (plus I’d love it if she won & set up a club that wasn’t as male-oriented as our current options). Mechanically I think she’s a good balance between familiarity & novelty; she’s part of the persuasive tracker so most people will at least be aware of her, but there’s still lots we don’t know about her. I’d love to see a side of her outside court intrigue. Also I love herb& would like to throw more people out of windows in her name.

I’d also vote for Grace, she’s fantastic fun and I know almost nothing about her but she’d be bonkers. I was dearly hoping she was going to be our bandaged candidate this year.

Whoever next year’s candidates are, I hope they can be a bit more balanced in terms of popularity/familiarity. I suspect a more even race would be less bad tempered - I avoid the forum as much as I can during the election (unlike Old Hallowmas which was a frenzy of friendship ) and I’d love that to change.

Your Inconvenient Aunt running for mayor would be a rather abstract and silly turn of events, but also completely in character for her, I feel.
So embarrassing.

[quote=Màiread]I would love to see the Barbed Wit; I think she would provide the opportunity for a really interesting story, not least as the campaign for universal suffrage is specifically mentioned in her storyline

[snip]

Also I love her and would like to throw more people out of windows in her name.[/quote]

Ooh … I forgot about the universal suffrage bit … I, too, would like her as a candidate. Also, defenestration is one of my favorite words, so there’s that, too.

[li]