June Exceptional Story: The Garden Embassy

I was a little confused at the wording of some things around the end, but I usually am, so I don’t think it’s a mark against the story or such. I gave the Decorated Ambassador the impression &quotLondon is Weird&quot, which was exactly what I wanted, and urged her against open hostility/distrust of London. She told me the colonies would likely federate when she got back, which I also wanted, and I’m guessing that that’s either standard or a result of not giving her the impressions that London was powerful/unjust.

I liked the setting of this one, and it was fun to participate in all the guest’s sidequests! They gave a good sense of separate motivations for everyone involved. I also loved the references about the Ambassador’s heritage, it gave her character and her own motivations great depth.

I am, however, left with one question: Was mistress Gladrags a measurer? As in, like the ones from Sunless Skies. It talked like they do, with the obvious stuff about paying debts, and it’s hand is described as &quotchitinous&quot, which also holds up to the measurers being, like, beetles. Why was it in the Neath, though?!
edited by cadwynknivlove on 6/26/2019

A pretty decent story. Much more focused on characters and atmosphere than on actual plot.

I appreciated the interactions with all the minor characters (and that each had a small mini-quest to reward checking and re-checking all the options). And meeting Sinning Jenny again is always a delight.

I also appreciated that most movements at the party cost no actions, though it was still tedious at times to go back and forth just to toggle some qualities to unlock a new option.

The ending felt a bit abrupt and strangely inconsequential, considering that it involves statements that can change the world’s status-quo quite a bit (potentially, this can be as impactful as the final choice of The Empress’s Shadow, but there the implications are built-up better).

Personal ranked list of all Exceptional Stories:

[spoiler]
Masterpiece:

• Cricket, Anyone?

Excellent:

• Lost in Reflections[/li][li]Cut with Moonlight[/li][li]Hojotoho![/li][li]For All The Saints[/li][li]The Frequently Deceased[/li][li]The Waltz that Moved the World[/li][li]Steeped in Honey[/li][li]Flint[/li][li]All Things Must End[/li][li]Written In The Glim[/li][li]The Century Exhibition[/li][li]The Twelve-Fifteen From Moloch Street[/li][li]The Persona Engine[/li][li]Where You and I Must Go[/li][li]The Sinking Synod[/li][li]A Little Pandemonium[/li][li]The Attendants

Good:

• Noises From Upstairs[/li][li]The Murgatroyd Formula[/li][li]Lamentation Lock[/li][li]The Web of the Motherlings[/li][li]The Pentecost Predicament[/li][li]The Calendar Code[/li][li]Daylight[/li][li]The Rat-Catcher[/li][li]The Art of Murder[/li][li]The Chimney Pot Wars[/li][li]The Final Curtain[/li][li]The Garden Embassy[/li][li]Tauroktonos[/li][li]The Magician’s Dream[/li][li]The Bones of London[/li][li]The Heart, the Devil and the Zee

OK:

• The Stag and the Shark[/li][li]The Price of Loss[/li][li]Our Lady of Pyres[/li][li]Required Repairs[/li][li]The Clay Man’s Arm[/li][li]Five Minutes to Midday[/li][li]Discernment[/li][li]The Haunting at the Marsh House[/li][li]The Pursuit of Moths[/li][li]Factory of Favours

Meh:

• Trial and Error[/li][li]The Last Dog Society[/li][li]The Seven-Day Reign[/li][li]The Court of Cats

Terrible:

• The Stone Guest

I don’t know anything about Sunless Skies lore, but I understood Mistress Gladrags to be a Master of the Bazaar, specifically Mr Veils (who trades in Rags)… though why it would be so interested in this particular affair isn’t clear to me.

I don’t know anything about Sunless Skies lore, but I understood Mistress Gladrags to be a Master of the Bazaar, specifically Mr Veils (who trades in Rags)… though why it would be so interested in this particular affair isn’t clear to me.[/quote]

Cadwyn is probably correct. Sunless Skies has a species called Measurers, who among things are described as chitinous, are all named Mistress, and offer a gift supposedly free of charge but later show up and extract payment at inconvenient times.

Thanks!

Hello,

I saved this story for later off the Season of Bargains card and now I can’t find which storylet starts it properly; anyone recall the name?

That should be “An Elaborate Invitation” :)