June Exceptional Story: The Garden Embassy

Has anyone managed to seduce the Ambassador successfully? I tried, but she didn’t seem interested…

I think Legendary Charismas/Paramount Presences should have been able to lol. But eh.

I do wonder if getting her approval of you to it’s highest possible result might have changed things, but also maybe she just ain’t one for quickie romances. I turned her opinion very much away from London, and also helped the Engineer with his surface contacts. I sold the sunlight off to Bohemians after the ball, but it seems like the expression of disgust on the Ambassador’s face was enough to please the Poet regardless. Rewards did feel a little on the low side (it does bring up a niggle I have had, where Searing Enigmas and apparently a Night-Whisper in this case just Shows Up at the end of a exceptional tale, and I don’t know really why in an in-universe sense?) but they did at least seem fitting enough as rewards you would get from one night at a ball.

Not the most compelling tale for me, but I did enjoy it regardless, every character felt pleasurable enough to talk to and everything. Out of the 5 I have played so far, this would be a close 4 over Stag and the Shark.

edited by Calliope Rannis on 6/1/2019
edited by Calliope Rannis on 6/2/2019

So, if I’m reading the backstory aright…

[ul][li]The colonies represented by the Garden Embassy are the Australian ones - which did indeed federate in 1901.[/li][li]The miners’ uprising mentioned is the Eureka Rebellion - one of the Embassy staff has a Eureka flag tattoo.[/li][li]The Ambassador’s mother is indigenous and her father is a colonist, and her mother’s culture has been suppressed - sadly accurate to real-world history.[/li][li]The particularly dramatic red-and-black flower in the garden is a Sturt’s desert pea.
[/li][/ul]

I wish I’d had a bit more time to show the Ambassador around. I didn’t even attempt the seduction. I thought I had a bit more time.

I really liked the party environment. It felt like everyone, including me, was going around and using the distractions to plot behind everyone else’s backs. Which is exactly how I’d imagine political parties in the Neath usually go.

As for the Ambassador…

[spoiler]I am all for surface countries not getting involved in the Neath. They should be free to go live their lives without having to worry about all this eldritch stuff that honestly doesn’t care about their existence. So the Ambassador left with the idea that she could go tell her countrymen to split from England.

That said… I don’t approve of the LoN and the Neath Revolutionaries. So I made sure a certain Admiral who does does care about keeping the Neath free of that influence knew which Revolutionaries he should be worried about.[/spoiler]

Does anyone have Echoes for what happens if you hang onto the sunlight until after the party? I know one option is to just sell it to some Bohemians, but is there any option to use it yourself?

Nope, you can sell it to Criminals or a Rubbery Man instead though. (Do not know what those do precisely though)

Charity is a crime, but did anyone not pay Mistress Gladrags and have an echo of it? I’d love a link.

…And now Mrs Frontispiece and the Vake can add Cups to their secret identity club.

edited by Lemonadeon on 6/6/2019

Here you go.

Here you go.[/quote]

Sorry if I was unclear! I’m looking for the echo where you don’t give it money.

I’m just starting this one – just a quick question, does it make any difference which outfit you wear to the ball – and is it possible to change them, later? Many thanks!

It does change which of two factions will talk to you, but you can change them as much as you want without affecting anything else. I didn’t realise you were supposed to get both outfits, but they provide you with what you didn’t get pretty much as soon as you get to the point you realise you messed up!
edited by Viric on 6/14/2019

It does change which of two factions will talk to you, but you can change them as much as you want without affecting anything else. I didn’t realise you were supposed to get both outfits, but they provide you with what you didn’t get pretty much as soon as you get to the point you realise you messed up!
edited by Viric on 6/14/2019[/quote]

Thank you very much! :)

[quote=Lemonadeon]Charity is a crime, but did anyone not pay Mistress Gladrags and have an echo of it? I’d love a link.

…And now Mrs Frontispiece and the Vake can add Cups to their secret identity club.

edited by Lemonadeon on 6/6/2019[/quote]

Hey, don’t forget a certain creature in the Labyrinth of Tigers!

I’m really pleased with the ending I got – was hoping that my choices when showing the Ambassador around London would lead towards this, but then the choice of speech (camaraderie) didn’t seem to quite match them? nevertheless it all worked out:

…&quotThe people of the colonies are ready to rise up. The London I’ve seen will not, or cannot, step in to stop them. Before London can respond, we will come and free our comrades underground.&quot…finally a real revolution that my character can support wholeheartedly! (very ambivalent about LoN)

Oh, my reward was a Night Whisper too, in case anyone’s keeping track.
edited by theonie on 6/16/2019

I’m… confused.

[spoiler]
I showed the Ambassador around London and then encouraged her to make a ‘Camaraderie Speech’. With the Admiral even congratulating me on the stronger relation with the colonies, as I wanted to.

But then the Ambassador tells me that she is happy that I helped her chose to split form London and rise up in rebellion? Which is the exact opposite of what I was trying to do and thought the text implied.

Do anyone know what you have to do to make her ally with London?
Or is it only possibly to either make her turn her back on London in disgust or want to rise up against them? Which would seem odd.[/spoiler]
edited by Akernis on 6/20/2019

It IS confusing. The things I did encouraged a split, but I could only suggest camaraderie or hostility, and it doesn’t seem to distinguish if your suggestion there was counter to everything before or what.

Here:

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/dov/16328316

I won’t be around on Thursday so, as usual, don’t forget to unlock the story by the 27th if you haven’t!