Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeSunless Sea

A game of survival, trade and exploration in the universe of Fallen London

DIAMOND IS HERE! Messages in this topic - RSS

Hannah Flynn
Hannah Flynn
Administrator
Posts: 426

1/7/2015
Just wanted to pop by and flag that the Diamond update to Sunless Sea has just gone live on Steam (Humble will follow a few hours later). Our last update before launch! DBig Grin


More info is on the blog.


My highlight is:
The Icarus in Black weapon will allow you to fire monster-hunters at monsters.


Happy zailing!

--
Wields the news canon, aboard the hype train.
+2 link
Fretling
Fretling
Posts: 529

1/7/2015
>Enemies should be able to spot you more easily when your lights are off.
Damn.

>Both weapons and usable items now have hotkeys (1-9)
Good.

>If you reach a storylet you have to resolve, and choose to exit to the title menu instead of resolving it, when you load the game back up, you will not be able to close the gazetteer. Instead, you will have to play an available storylet or close the game and reload it in order to continue.
That's not to prevent savescumming or what?

>There is now a conclusion to the Salt-Lions story; in fact, six different conclusions, including an Easter-Egg Legacy effect.
Wait, wasn't this already in place?

>ART
Goddammit, I *just* swung by Irem with a load of Tomb-Colonists, like twenty minutes ago. D'oh!
edited by Fretling on 1/7/2015
0 link
Chris Gardiner
Chris Gardiner
Administrator
Posts: 536

1/7/2015
Hannah Flynn wrote:
My highlight is:
The Icarus in Black weapon will allow you to fire monster-hunters at monsters.

The image of firing high-level Fallen London players at baddies makes me very happy.
+6 link
Fretling
Fretling
Posts: 529

1/7/2015
Speak with the Irrepressible Cannoneer > Invite them to dine with you > You need Content QA please 1

Hey, I know what's up for content QA now! :P


edit: So I just saw the effect of fog -- does it also baffle hostile creatures and ships, or is only the player adversely affected?
edited by Fretling on 1/7/2015
0 link
Alexis Kennedy
Alexis Kennedy
Posts: 1374

1/7/2015
Fretling wrote:


>There is now a conclusion to the Salt-Lions story; in fact, six different conclusions, including an Easter-Egg Legacy effect.
Wait, wasn't this already in place?


It's been out in story updates for a little while - but it's baked into this build. Only about half our players use the story update system (but probably many more than half on this board)
0 link
Hannah Flynn
Hannah Flynn
Administrator
Posts: 426

1/7/2015
Fretling wrote:

edit: So I just saw the effect of fog -- does it also baffle hostile creatures and ships, or is only the player adversely affected?
edited by Fretling on 1/7/2015



It baffles both.

--
Wields the news canon, aboard the hype train.
0 link
Fretling
Fretling
Posts: 529

1/7/2015
Ahhh, I see. That makes sense. Both answers smile

Is the Port Carnelian report intended for parties other than the Admiralty, or is that particular interaction simply not yet added in? Also, I see that you can speak to some of the upgraded officers now; is it intended that dining with the Nacreous Survivor doesn't actually consume the Strange Catch?
edited by Fretling on 1/7/2015
0 link
EmilyAriel
EmilyAriel
Posts: 124

1/7/2015
Chris Gardiner wrote:
Hannah Flynn wrote:
My highlight is:
The Icarus in Black weapon will allow you to fire monster-hunters at monsters.

The image of firing high-level Fallen London players at baddies makes me very happy.



rip spacemarine9
+4 link
Fretling
Fretling
Posts: 529

1/7/2015
Okay, hang on a moment, why is Port Carnelian in Adam's Way/Adam's Cape and not in the Carnelian Coast?
0 link
fortluna
fortluna
Posts: 306

1/7/2015
FROSTFOUND IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING if you would ever consider an artbook or card set I'd buy it in a snap. Also, the wax wind is terrifying. I do have a question about reversal speeds - was there any particular reason for halving it, besides to add difficulty?
  • 0 link
    Alexis Kennedy
    Alexis Kennedy
    Posts: 1374

    1/7/2015
    fortluna wrote:
    FROSTFOUND IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING if you would ever consider an artbook or card set I'd buy it in a snap. Also, the wax wind is terrifying. I do have a question about reversal speeds - was there any particular reason for halving it, besides to add difficulty?


  • A lot of players fell into the habit of reversing to keep the enemy in their prow light, because it looked like a dominant strategy. Worse, in a lot of cases, it wasn't the dominant strategy - it was likely to lead to them taking damage as well as having a weird-looking battle - but though we could see the cues that made people think it was, it proved very difficult to change those cues. So in the end we slowed reverse speed to discourage the strategy.


    We'll blog more about this after launch, but we're hunkered down for the last few weeks now.
    0 link
    Darkas
    Darkas
    Posts: 17

    1/7/2015
    Frostfound is awesome looking, as well as Kingeater's Castle. Congratz on these!

    Also:
    "thus your reward. But I must now pronounce this curse upon you. Stand still, please..."
    [spoiler]When giving the heart of his daughter to the Fathomking...[/spoiler]
    Excellent :P
    edited by Darkas on 1/7/2015
    0 link
    MidnightVoyager
    MidnightVoyager
    Posts: 823

    1/7/2015
    Well, now I don't know how to fight things, if it's not to jam in reverse. What am I supposed to be doing here? Everything turns faster than me or just as fast as me, so trying to strafe is absolutely definitely not the way to go.

    --
    Midnight Voyager - A blood-cousin to predators. Collector of beasts. Affably mad.
    0 link
    Fretling
    Fretling
    Posts: 529

    1/7/2015
    I'm just annoyed that even with 100 Veils, avoiding combat is so much more difficult now -- things just follow you for ages and ages, and it feels like they have a wider detection radius.

    Has anyone been down to Port Carnelian (the one in the southwest with the Sapphire Exchange shop) post-update? Is Port Carnelian still there ferreals or has it just been up and bodily removed to Adam's Way on purpose?
    0 link
    Darkas
    Darkas
    Posts: 17

    1/7/2015
    Still there in my game.

    For the avoiding combat thing, maybe it's a good change, you can use "Full Power" for something now :P

    Oh, and Port Stanton (Empire of Hands) is not available in the Diamond Release, even if the description says it would. You lied to me : (
    edited by Darkas on 1/7/2015
    0 link
    Fretling
    Fretling
    Posts: 529

    1/7/2015
    Iunno, you'd have to crew up pretty heavily to have buffer against Fire!, which would require big ships with big holds. Small ships become even more useless than ever. New players are fucked over, because they can't fight OR run.
    0 link
    Sidewasy
    Sidewasy
    Posts: 10

    1/7/2015
    A lot of players fell into the habit of reversing to keep the enemy in their prow light, because it looked like a dominant strategy


    I have to ask, what is the dominate strategy then? I tried picking a fight with the Lifeberg between Venderbright and Wither, and it roughed me up
    pretty badly before I got away. How am I supposed to fight something like that?
    0 link
    MidnightVoyager
    MidnightVoyager
    Posts: 823

    1/7/2015
    I already just stopped trying to fight larger things because my diminished gun capacity makes it take a billion years even with the nicest gun money can buy. If it takes a billion years AND my only strategy is out, I'm not sure how to even try to go about this?

    --
    Midnight Voyager - A blood-cousin to predators. Collector of beasts. Affably mad.
    0 link
    MrChapeau
    MrChapeau
    Posts: 31

    1/7/2015
    Fretling wrote:
    Iunno, you'd have to crew up pretty heavily to have buffer against Fire!, which would require big ships with big holds. Small ships become even more useless than ever. New players are fucked over, because they can't fight OR run.



  • Idea: perhaps 20 admiralty favor could buy the player special military grade armour plating that adds 100 hull but isn't repairable and needs another 20 favor spent to renew.

    Or something like that. I too can't imagine surviving in the initial vessel without being able to turn my lights off and flee so easily.

  • edited by MrChapeau on 1/7/2015
  • 0 link
    MidnightVoyager
    MidnightVoyager
    Posts: 823

    1/7/2015
    MrChapeau wrote:
    Fretling wrote:
    Iunno, you'd have to crew up pretty heavily to have buffer against Fire!, which would require big ships with big holds. Small ships become even more useless than ever. New players are fucked over, because they can't fight OR run.



  • Idea: perhaps 20 admiralty favor could buy the player special military grade armour plating that adds 100 hull but isn't repairable and needs another 20 favor spent to renew.

    Or something like that. I too can't imagine surviving in the initial vessel without being able to turn my lights off and flee so easily.

  • edited by MrChapeau on 1/7/2015

  • But that still won't help because almost all the ships available fire only forward and to the sides a bit. We jammed in reverse because our gun fires forward and we can't turn as fast as almost anything else without a particularly dumb sort of spinning in place and taking damage and hoping you can eventually catch up.


  • --
    Midnight Voyager - A blood-cousin to predators. Collector of beasts. Affably mad.
    0 link
    1234 ..8




    Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.0.2.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software