Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London

Deep. Dark. Marvellous. Our biggest and best-loved game.

Feedback Messages in this topic - RSS

Azothi
Azothi

7/26/2019
MrCandles wrote:
Back "Enthusiastic Urchin" to game!
It definitely would be interesting to see what ideas Failbetter has floating around for post-Sunless Skies content, though I think it's safe to say it might be a while before we see developments on that front.

To address the request behind the request, though, I don't think it's clear at all that if the Enthusiastic Urchin returned, they'd come bearing Fate. Failbetter has (rightfully) moved away from a Fate-reward system towards more unique in-game currencies; for instance, while the original Mysteries rewarded correct answers with Fate, the redesign Mysteries rewarded correct answers with Regnant Coins to be traded in. The most recent Enthusiastic Urchin, if I recall correctly (the one that led to Sunless Skies) rewarded Darkdrop Coffee instead of Fate.

Furthermore, Failbetter has been making a concerted push to leverage its social media for promotional purposes, especially Twitter: this year's candidates were released on Twitter (and Discord) rather than the FBG blog, the Sunless Skies tie-in access codes were released via Twitter, and several Sunless Skies Kickstarter social goals focused on reaching follower goals for their social media. Essentially, while the Enthusiastic Urchin may return to survey the Fallen London base, Failbetter's social media operations have grown and may eventually (or perhaps already have) made the Enthusiastic Urchin obsolete.

--
Azoth I, the Amaranthine Wanderer - Midnighter - A Paramount Presence (not currently accepting new Proteges)
Away to where the Chain cannot bind us.
Hesperidean.
0 link
MrCandles
MrCandles

7/31/2019
What you make with game? Today only errors and bugs!
UPD 8/1/2019
This was connection error.

• edited by MrCandles on 8/1/2019
  • -9 link
    phryne
    phryne

8/4/2019
    Copy/pasting from another thread, I think these ideas have merit:

millea wrote:
    [...] Another idea would be, perhaps, to make some of the smaller - or older, or less wildly popular - ES free to play. One free ES a year would already be something nice for the free players, and paid customers will still be getting a whole lot of dedicated content. [...]

Optimatum wrote:
    [...] I'd love to see Failbetter let people choose a free Exceptional Story. We have over four years of them by now. Offer a choice from a handful of the popular older ones. Then free players get a treat while some people decide to buy other stories. It's only awkward for players who've already played all the offered stories, but I certainly wouldn't say no to replaying an old favorite for free. [...]

With the constantly increasing number of Exceptional Stories, I do think at some point some kind of discount model should be implemented. In addition to the ideas above, I could see something like "Subscribe this month and you get the current ES plus an older one for free". Maybe this would work especially well during the Festivals, when (I guess) lots of irregular players who don't often or ever subscribe are drawn back to the game. This might give them an additional incentive to subscribe.
    edited by phryne on 8/4/2019

--
    Exceptional Stories, sorted by Season and by writerFavours & Renown Guide
    Go play StoryNexus games - while you still can!
    +3 link
    Jolanda Swan
    Jolanda Swan

8/5/2019
    Mr Candles, Failbetter is always being vey considerate and thoughtful of our Feedback as this thread proves. Could you please change your tone? I understand the language barrier, but I doubt it is stopping you from being polite when discussing something.

--
    Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
    http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
    +3 link
    Plynkes
    Plynkes

8/5/2019
    Please, please, please bring back "Who Else is Here?" The game seems so dead without it. You have to go outside the game to find people to interact with, and I don't think that is a good thing.

--
    "Then tell Wind and Fire where to stop, but don't tell me."
    +6 link
    Jolanda Swan
    Jolanda Swan

8/6/2019
    Seconded!

--
    Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
    +1 link
    MrCandles
    MrCandles

8/6/2019
    FB, please, finish and add to game 4 Tier professions, I really want become Unbishop. Or add ends of Ambitions.
    +2 link
    Optimatum
    Optimatum

8/6/2019
    Please relax with the downvoting, people. Tier 4 professions and Ambition endings are perfectly reasonable requests.

@MrCandles: I believe Failbetter said finishing the Ambitions is planned to happen soon. We don't know exactly when, but they haven't been abandoned.

--
    Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Cider? Just say hi!

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
    +1 link
    Skinnyman
    Skinnyman

8/7/2019
    I think the problem is the tone and the individualism in most of his posts. He, himself and him.
    Everyone wants finished ambitions, T4 professions and a glimpse of a possible future.

--
    I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
    No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
    Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
    +2 link
    Catherine Raymond
    Catherine Raymond

8/7/2019
    Plynkes wrote:
    Please, please, please bring back "Who Else is Here?" The game seems so dead without it. You have to go outside the game to find people to interact with, and I don't think that is a good thing.

"Who else is here?" had another useful function. It would let you know whether a character was logged in currently, and thus was still being actively played.

--
    Cathy Raymond
    http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/cathyr19355

Catherine Raymond aka Mrs. Rykar Malkus http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Catherine%20Raymond (Gone NORTH)
    +2 link
    Jolanda Swan
    Jolanda Swan

8/7/2019
    Mostly this. Not every player is active in the social platforms. I know I only visit the forums, and I did that only after a year of playing. "Who else..." made social actions possible.

--
    +1 link
    MrCandles
    MrCandles

8/15/2019
    Why Nemesis image is now red?
    0 link
    Asagi iro inko
    Asagi iro inko

8/19/2019
    Please change or remove references to women not having the right to vote. They are inaccurate and inappropriate.

For starters, plenty of female characters did vote in the previous mayoral election. I am not sure how exactly, but since false moustaches are banned and notability is taken into account, one assumes openly. (If voting refers to Parliamentary elections, not mayoral, then no one has the right, not just women).

If we examine FL, we find that the last Mayoral Election was carefully designed so that a female candidate would definitely be elected, that there is one female member of parliament, and a lot of female characters who can go on to fight monsters, lecture at university, captain ships, govern colonies, own property, in fact do just about anything but apparently not vote.

As an example of what I mean, `Graduate Advice` has “these 'Benthic Ladies' and their struggle for power. If it goes on like this, they say, women will be "voting." `The Wit and the Physician` has “the wish to have the vote and to enter education - this affliction is caused by vapours arising from the womb.”

Furthermore, the game stat changes and penalties related to these options imply unspoken approval of women not having the vote, both by Fallen London but also by the writers. (Else surely adrift on a sea of misery would be more appropriate than scandal).

Now ostensibly these form part of the Victorian atmosphere of Fallen London and are roughly parallel to real life London at the same time, and are presented somewhat tongue-in-cheek, sort of `Ha ha, weren`t they quaint back then. We of course know better now.`

This is offensive to players on FL who do not have the right vote in real life, and it is offensive to women.

Considering that elsewhere FL seems to strive quite hard for gender balance in NPCs, that all stories are open to all genders, that there is even the choice to be gender ambivalent, the fact that this content should remain to give historical flavour seems odd. In theory, yes, the Empress was against women`s suffrage. However, I don`t see why that particular detail should carry over and not so many others.

Racism and colonial imperialism would also be historically accurate, but these elements in the game have been neatly patched over with the help of fiction. We now have Clay “Men” and Rubbery “Men,” Devils and Khaganians. Imagine player reaction, for example, if it raised your scandal to be seen with a black man or if you had the option to lure a chinaman into a honey den, rob him and end his miserable existence? What if sending a ratwork gattling gun to a contact in India raised dangerous or if sending fungus flour laced with plaster of paris to a contact in Africa raised shadowy? Not on, am I right. Clearly FB stayed away from that for a reason. So why is it okay to make snide references about women being inferior and not voting because it is “historically” accurate?

In fact, I challenge this very notion of historical accuracy. Yes, most of Europe granted women the right to vote between WWI and WWII. The colonies, however, were way ahead of you. Pitt-cairn Island in 1838 and Norfolk Island in1856. South Australia gave property-owning women the vote in 1861. New Zealand was the first to give all women the right to vote in 1893 and South Australia second in 1894. (NZ, though, did not grant women the right to stand for parliament but SA did). Australia upon becoming a country (not a group of colonies) in 1901 granted all women the right to vote.

Interestingly enough, a large part of the reason behind granting the vote was environmental - having a very small base of voters to collect votes from and a “hostile” new environment blurring traditional gender roles and creating lots of male-absent households and property-owning widows. In a way, Fallen London, with its perils of strange new surroundings and a significantly reduced population, is far more like Adelaide or Auckland than London.

Incidentally, another great stumbling stone along the path towards women`s suffrage, would be religion. Yes, FL still has the Church, but we are reminded each week that it now has an Exceptionally New Testament. It also has an influential Bishop who seemed quite happy to canvass for women`s votes when he stood for election.

It is implicit in the game that given the 30-40 year interval of time since the Fall, a lot of the old, established customs and attitudes have abruptly disappeared. Everything else has changed; why not this? It is non-essential to the game and it would be easy to make it a non-issue by simply deleting the content or replacing it with another in-game concern like poverty. Please change it.
    -1 link
    MrCandles
    MrCandles

8/20/2019
    Characters not really vote. They just work as agitators, fixers or campaigners. Only head of guild vote to Lord Mayor. So female characters not vote. You are wrong. If you are SJW, you are entirely wrong.

Babel: MrCandles has been banned for persistent low-value posts and incivility, and for not making any recognisable efforts to improve in these respects after a warning.

Edit: MrCandles/Hermione has also had their FL accounts deactivated, for seeking to evade a forum ban.

edited by babelfishwars on 8/20/2019
    -1 link
    phryne
    phryne

8/20/2019
    Hermione Granger wrote:
    MrCandles wrote:
    Characters not really vote. They just work as agitators, fixers or campaigners. Only head of guild vote to Lord Mayor. So female characters not vote. You are wrong. If you are SJW, you are entirely wrong.

Babel: MrCandles has been banned for persistent low-value posts and incivility, and for not making any recognisable efforts to improve in these respects after a warning.
    edited by babelfishwars on 8/20/2019

Why banned? He is right.

Just saying, MrCandles has an alt called Hermione Granger. He linked to it somewhere at some point...

--
    Exceptional Stories, sorted by Season and by writerFavours & Renown Guide
    Go play StoryNexus games - while you still can!
    0 link
    babelfishwars
    babelfishwars
    Administrator

8/20/2019
    phryne wrote:
    Just saying, MrCandles has an alt called Hermione Granger. He linked to it somewhere at some point...

hi Phryne - we found them and their alt. You were fast on posting!

MrCandles/Hermione has also had their FL accounts deactivated, for seeking to evade a forum ban.

--
    Mars, God of Fish; Leaning Tower of Fish
    +1 link
    Jolanda Swan
    Jolanda Swan

26 days ago
    Nameless Jane wrote:
    If watch from Nuncio (Fruits of Zee) have kifers, why it not be usable on heist like Bazaar-gear kifers?

Anyone else getting Déjà vu?

--
    +3 link
    Jermaine Vendredi
    Jermaine Vendredi

25 days ago
    Oh, yes.

--
    No plant battles, please.
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Jermion
    +2 link
    Corran
    Corran

9 days ago
    I haven't gotten the "A familiar face by the school railings" card in ages, even though I have all the unlock qualities for it.

Has this got anything to do with the card drawing bug?

Update: I finally got the card but it took way longer than in the past.
    edited by Corran on 9/12/2019

--
    My Fallen London profile
    0 link