Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Salons

Here you can speculate on the game’s plot, discuss its characters, and compare notes with other players.

The early days Messages in this topic - RSS

Estelle Knoht
Estelle Knoht

6/6/2012
Are there any players that was playing Echo Bazaar from the very beginning, and have screenshots of it?

I am just... well, very curious about how Echo Bazaar looked like in its early days. I joined around the time Velocipede Squad was released, and had no chance of seeing how does Knife-and-Candles looked. And somebody told me that the map used to be different, and traveling is not free...

If any Neathy veterans would entertain this little pointless request, please do! smile

Thanks in advance.

--
Estelle Knoht, a juvenile, unreliable and respectable lady.
I currently do not accept any catbox, cider, suppers, calling cards or proteges.
+3 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

6/6/2012
An interesting question! Let's see... when I came to Fallen London, things looked much the same as they do now, though there were only six portraits total for our characters. I was sorry to lose my old one when we got the current lot, as it suited me rather well. Haven't got pictures to share, though, alas - wish I did!

--
Diptych, the Emancipationist Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
+1 link
Endy
Endy

6/6/2012
found a picture of the old map. I'm assuming as you progressed more of the areas were uncovered.

a couple mini screenshots:

--
sonantem aeternum ad terram

Through the darker shadows.
+5 link
Estelle Knoht
Estelle Knoht

6/6/2012
Endy wrote:
found a picture of the old map. I'm assuming as you progressed more of the areas were uncovered.

That's a pretty map! The style seems decidedly more cartoon-ish than what we have, though. But the pale, green mist / fog adds a feel of... exploration to Fallen London.

--
I currently do not accept any catbox, cider, suppers, calling cards or proteges.
+3 link
Branden Linton
Branden Linton

6/6/2012
I joined in a month or so before knife and candle was shut down. Right around when Extra Credits (For those of you not in the know. Extra Credits is a phenomenal internet show about the games industry created by three of the industries finest minds. Also its got pictures so I can pay attention. http://extra-credits.net/) did its first games you might not have played segment. Echo Bazaar was one of those games and I made an account shortly there after.

P.S. To be honest I think the old map is way cooler.

--
Brom Girvan: a man of shadows and secrets. http://echobazaar.failbettergames.com/Profile/Brom~Girvan
+1 link
hwango
hwango

6/6/2012
I've been playing since mid 2010, so I don't have any really old screenshots. I have a few shots with the old art for Souls, various rats, Warm Amber, Diamonds, Cheerful Goldfish, etc. This is the oldest screenshot I seem to have of my character screen from July 30, 2010, which shows the old portrait style (and my humble early days).

--
Mantelpiece || Art Gallery of Doom
+5 link
Spacemarine9
Spacemarine9

6/6/2012
I can remember knife and candle being the worst thing ever because you pretty much lost all of your money within seconds (every time someone killed you in K&C you lost a couple pennies. it added up fast though!). You could get a Sweet Mansion out of it but I didn't get my rank high enough upset

--
my rats will blot out the sun
Ratgames
FL lore/mechanics questions and answers
#FallenLondon IRC (irc.synirc.net) Channel! Click to join via Mibbit.
#SunlessSea IRC channel! Like the above, but zee-ier.
+2 link
Aryenke
Aryenke

6/6/2012
I love this thread! I hope there are more pics to come.

Also, I think the old portrait is wonderful. I love the full silhouette. The old map is pretty sweet too.

Not that I'm complaining about the current - just that I DO like the old.

--
@Aryenke
She looks boring, but she has a secret!

Current Chair of the Confident Rogues and Counterfeit Scholars Club (open admission season)

Want to spar, play chess, loiter, share a meal, count days, collect change? I'm available. (PM me about others)
0 link
Catherine Raymond
Catherine Raymond

6/6/2012
hwango wrote:
I've been playing since mid 2010, so I don't have any really old screenshots. I have a few shots with the old art for Souls, various rats, Warm Amber, Diamonds, Cheerful Goldfish, etc. This is the oldest screenshot I seem to have of my character screen from July 30, 2010, which shows the old portrait style (and my humble early days).

I like this style of profile portrait better, but prefer the current map.

--
Cathy Raymond
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/cathyr19355

Catherine Raymond aka Mrs. Rykar Malkus http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Catherine%20Raymond (Gone NORTH)
0 link
djcrashoverride
djcrashoverride

6/6/2012
That old portrait page is gorgeous.

--
An inescapable, sagacious, irresistible and magnificent gentleman:

http://echobazaar.failbettergames.com/Profile/DJCrashoverride
+1 link
Little The
Little The

6/7/2012
Indeed. I wonder why they changed it to faces-only?

I must admit I find the old map quite attractive as well. The current one looks a bit...I don't know, minimalist? I'm sure it's much easier to update, though.
edited by Little The on 6/7/2012

--
A gentleman of numerous descriptors that change far too often. Second chance and menace reduction invites are welcome.

My journey to Seek the Name is recorded for posterity here. I asked "Who is Salt?"

I am a member of the Temple Club. If you would like an invitation, feel free to request one!

Fallen London is a game of choices. When you make an important one, you can record your rationale here.
0 link
streetfelineblue
streetfelineblue

6/7/2012
Little The wrote:
Indeed. I wonder why they changed it to faces-only?
edited by Little The on 6/7/2012

Maybe to let people free to imagine their character with his own gear on? For example - I see both a Scrutinizer and a Tasselled Cane (Sword-Cane?) in the portrait (and a Battered Gray Overcoat maybe? Gee, that portrait could be my Blue of a little time ago, before he sacrificed the Overcoat to rescue the Clothes-Colony), but the character doesn't necessarily have any of them.

The old map... Is it a perspective illusion, or the Ladybones Road was in a different position then, west of the Shuttered Palace?

--
Twitter: @streetfelineblu
Blue's LiveJournal
Blue's Echo Bazaar profile
Blue's Night Circus diary
Link to Ocelot's Enigma Ambition hint page; PM for clarification. No direct solutions provided.
+4 link
Estelle Knoht
Estelle Knoht

6/7/2012
Found two more.

I personally prefer the new portraits, the old one seems *too* detailed to me smile

--
+3 link
MaskedGentleman
MaskedGentleman

6/7/2012

--
I would like to thank this community and game for the many years of joy you have brought me. May you find your Heart's Desire.

Daniel Redwood
+8 link
Woogawoman
Woogawoman

6/7/2012
Not sure if it was ever used in game, but here's another version of the map. I snagged it on Jan 11, 2011. (Not posted inline because I can't scale it down with this board's limited bbcode, and I didn't want to blow out the width.)

--
----------
Eleanor Smythe's Profile
0 link
Estelle Knoht
Estelle Knoht

6/8/2012
Woogawoman wrote:
Not sure if it was ever used in game, but here's another version of the map. I snagged it on Jan 11, 2011. (Not posted inline because I can't scale it down with this board's limited bbcode, and I didn't want to blow out the width.)

Um, that's the one we are having now....

--
0 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

6/8/2012
I believe that particular map, with its annotations, can be found on Mister Arendt's deviantart page.

--
Diptych, the Emancipationist Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
0 link
MaskedGentleman
MaskedGentleman

6/8/2012
Byron Man wrote:
Woogawoman wrote:

Um, that's the one we are having now....

There are some differences. The Labyrinth and Ladybones Roads are in different places and many other places are written on the map that we cannot travel to.

--
I would like to thank this community and game for the many years of joy you have brought me. May you find your Heart's Desire.

Daniel Redwood
+2 link