Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London

Deep. Dark. Marvellous. Our biggest and best-loved game.

Mysteries Closure Messages in this topic - RSS

Flyte
Flyte
Administrator

1/31/2014
The mysteries tab will close at last at around 12pm GMT today. Someone will be awarding a small quantity of Fate for correct answers. If you haven't filled them in -- or perhaps, devised an ingenious explanation of the absence of foxes from the Fifth City -- a short time yet remains.
edited by Flyte on 1/31/2014
+3 link
Alexis Kennedy
Alexis Kennedy

1/31/2014
Mr Flyte is now assessing your responses. There are 402,428 answers, and unfortunately we do have to allow him time to eat and sleep, but we should be finished by the summer of 2031.

• +26 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

1/31/2014
    I hope that the best incorrect answers will be shared here, looking like the manifesto of London's wildest conspiracy theorist.

--
    Sir Frederick, the Emancipationist Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
    Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
    +24 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

1/31/2014
    Finally, my theory that they died off through limited food supplies and pressure from predators is gonna pay off!

--
    +18 link
    Flyte
    Flyte
    Administrator

2/6/2014
    dragonridingsorceress wrote:
    Flyte, did you accept funny ones as well? Or did I actually get some correct?
    I didn't accept answers simply for being funny, but I tried not to be pedantic. So had someone answered 'In which continent was the Third City?' with 'rat america' -- to take a purely hypothetical example -- I would have accepted it. Not that anyone would submit an answer like that, of course.
    +13 link
    NiteBrite
    NiteBrite

1/31/2014
    I will be very surprised if any of my answers are, such as "ratcolocation" or "the continent of rat america" turn out to be correct haha.

--
    I AM currently accepting calling cards.
    Stats loss counter: reset, irrigo equivalent: none
    [00:34] <@ortab> NiteBrite's laugh is that of a condemned soul gazing into the abyss.
    Merciless Modiste avatar by Paul Arendt (based on an original image by Joe England)
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/TheBriteModiste
    +11 link
    Pyrodinium
    Pyrodinium

1/31/2014
    Alexis Kennedy wrote:
    Mr Flyte is now assessing your responses. There are 402,428 answers, and unfortunately we do have to allow him time to eat and sleep, but we should be finished by the summer of 2031.

• Well I hope you got cellars full of Darkdrop Coffee back there.

• --
    My profiles: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Pyrodinium
    (A Monster hunter on the hunt of his twin brother's killer. Overprotective dad of his twin's daughter)
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Rudolph~of~Taured
    (an indeterminate person of potentially rubbery lineage)
    * All social actions except photographers and loitering welcome!
  • +9 link
    Shadowhand
    Shadowhand

2/6/2014
    The secret is that the real winner here is the person who got 7 correct, thus unlocking St. Alexis' candle.

• edited by Shadowhand on 2/6/2014

--
    Twitter: @mortshadow - Fallen London: Shadowhand

Benjamin Gabbay, a silly and crafty individual of mysterious and indistinct intentions
  • +5 link
    Rupho Schartenhauer
    Rupho Schartenhauer

2/8/2014
    Seberin wrote:
    Big congratulations to Rupho Schartenhauer, who is officially the only person to have correctly answered 16 questions!

Whoa!

Helen Demeter wrote:
    After reading the statistics, I have to ask: Who is the one who got the 'between stars' and 'where the foxes are' ones correctly?

Not me, alas! Nobody got the thing about the foxes, and I too would be interested to learn who made the connection to the Liberation of Night (seems so obvious, in afterthought!).

I'm still not sure whether it was my answer to the Mr Eaten question (NORTH!) or to the Mr Sacks question ("As many as offered themselves" -- I thought this was a trick question and never even considered the answer would be an actual number) that was considered correct -- and the number of Masters was just a lucky guess: I answered Eleven, Twelve, and Thirteen on my three accounts respectively.
    edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 3/24/2015

--
    Rupho Schartenhauer has killed a Master, well: most of it.
    Cortez the Killer has killed a Master, definitely.
    Deepdelver has begotten a star. It's... complicated.
    Dr. Kvirkvelia, gone NORTH on 23/12/1894.
    +5 link
    Snowskeeper
    Snowskeeper

1/31/2014
    Alexis Kennedy wrote:

• Technically you do have to allow him time to sleep, but there's no rules against promising to unleash a sorrow-spider into the room if he tries it.

• --
    S.F., a midnight midnighter and invisible eminence. Impossible to locate them, personally, but there are dead drops and agents.
  • +4 link
    babelfishwars
    babelfishwars

2/6/2014
    The Mr Eaten answer makes me want to tug KittyHat's tail.

--
    Mars, God of Fish; Leaning Tower of Fish
    +3 link
    NiteBrite
    NiteBrite

2/8/2014
    "Adam" wrote:
    References to rats (including ‘rat’, ‘rodent’ and ‘rattus’ but not neologisms like ‘ratcolocation’): 194.

Haha dang, all that ratfort to rat-ify my ratswers and they didn't even get counted towards the rat total.
    [spoiler]True facts, my answer to the echos question was "the masters, being giant space rats know the value of using ratcolocation to navigate". Ah, I almost said bats, but it was just one letter away from rat, and after all, what is a bat if not a flying rodent? ah well. The continents of Ratrope, Ratfrica, and Ratsia were probably dismissed. I might have got the snuffers one. Although I mentioned it more as protecting the snuffers rather than the prisoners. Its hard to notice a floppy face when its hidden behind a mask afterall. Lots of stuff gets made to be more snuffer friendly, like outlawing death as a valid hiding place in knife and candle. I might have got the one about the consort, Prince Ratbert, assuming "consort" was a valid keyword. I might have got the Ratty Bethlehem Hotel for spelling the last bit of the name right. I -might- have got the King with a hundred Rats for including the word 'hundred'. Uh, I said mr eaten was in the Rats to the North, but I knew better about the godeaters. It just sounded cooler that way and I didnt think about it too hard. Ratalfields, Ratgarden, Ratbone road, and Ratwhich probably no points. Hm, what got me that fifth point. It probably wasnt that the number of masters was "rats" although I used ratleven for the sacks answer, I guess I got the two mix up oops. For the foxes I said something to the effect of how mr rat-candles hunted them to extinction to make the fine coat his mr sacks (at your window) now wears, also all the rat-candles seen in fallen london. Um, I answered the Ratzaar for between the stars. Not sure I get the liberation of the night being between the stars, exactly. I took it as that that was more of an 'event' staged by the revs and the actual thing the revs were attacking in that event was called something like the great chain of existence? idk. I'm a bit confused, if its a thing and not an event. If anyone can tell from the answers here which was probably my fifth point, let me know.[/spoiler]

Edit: Oh! It was rat america. haha, of course, how could I forget rat america (I choose to believe that having rat america accepted as a valid answer makes it canon that it exists :v ).
    edited by NiteBrite on 2/8/2014

--
    [00:34] <@ortab> NiteBrite's laugh is that of a condemned soul gazing into the abyss.
    Merciless Modiste avatar by Paul Arendt (based on an original image by Joe England)
    +3 link
    lost in light
    lost in light

2/8/2014
    Seberin wrote:
    I was rather astonished by how few players answered 14 or higher: a measly 41, or about 1 for every 1000 players who answered at least one question correctly. If I'm not mistaken, that's roughly equivalent to the number of active posters on this forum, meaning that we probably know every single person in that elite group. Wow!

Hullo, another 14-er here! (But credit for the fourteenth point goes to Streetfelineblue's realization that it was Sir Stamford Raffles who brought the tiger.)

On the topic of 'between the stars' and 'the liberation of night,' maybe it has something to do with the stars being the Judgments, and their light being the laws (natural and otherwise) from which the Bazaar is shielded. Maybe if you're in deep space ('between the stars'), you're similarly free of light and laws?

Wild speculations: do different stars/judgments have different laws? If so, could life native to one star survive near another, or would they need to stay underground, hidden from the sun? Similarly, can monsters live in the Neath because they are free from the sun? Are the judgments tied to cosmgonic myths, where the universe begins in a state of chaos and darkness, and light and law arise/are established?
    +3 link
    Erika
    Erika

2/6/2015
    Oh, I do so hope, as it's been mentioned is possible, that there shall be new Mysteries to answer at one point.

--
    Where the sun is hot, the moon is beautiful, and mysterious lights pass overhead while we all pretend to sleep.
                               Going on a fate expedition? I'm collecting data! Help me?
                   "Bottles of Oblivion" drunk in the name of content: 57
                  Catboxes (send more!) opened in the name of science: 1093
                        Fancy a friend?
    +3 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

2/6/2015
    The link structure on the blog has changed, but the relevant posts are here and here!

--
    +2 link
    Snowskeeper
    Snowskeeper

2/8/2014
    Sara Hysaro wrote:
    There's a Delete Button! It's just after Edit.

• Thank you kindly. Pitchforks are no longer necessary; we will instead be having a bonfire. You can use the metal bits for marshmallows.

--
    S.F., a midnight midnighter and invisible eminence. Impossible to locate them, personally, but there are dead drops and agents.
  • +2 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

2/6/2014
    I'm well keen to see the answers, 'cause I submitted different guesses on each account, so that they'd all have a chance of winning something, but I wouldn't get any extra rewards to which I wasn't strictly entitled. Sir Fred got 14 and all the rest got at least a few points*, so some of my answers must have fit into a broad "eh, close enough."

* Except Doctor Taupe-Wainscot, who didn't entirely understand the questions.

--
    +2 link
    NiteBrite
    NiteBrite

2/6/2014
    Haha I just wrote the word "rats" over and over for my answers (and made bad rat puns) and that somehow got me five correct answers. I am thoroughly chuffed.
    edited by NiteBrite on 2/6/2014

--
    +2 link
    deadcrystal
    deadcrystal

2/5/2014
    Likewise, a solid 14. It would probably help if I remembered what my answers were, I'm fairly sure I'd left a couple as half-jokes.

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Alice~Darkmoor
    A determined Dolphin - Alexis
    Great Grind Empress, and Knife and Candle Queen
    +2 link
    streetfelineblue
    streetfelineblue

2/5/2014
    14! Now to know which one were right and wrong; full answers are announced for tomorrow (technically today, as it's 0:49 here ^^)

https://twitter.com/EchoBazaar/status/431203257386823680
    edited by streetfelineblue on 2/6/2014

--
    Twitter: @streetfelineblu
    Blue's LiveJournal
    Blue's Echo Bazaar profile
    Blue's Night Circus diary
    Link to Ocelot's Enigma Ambition hint page; PM for clarification. No direct solutions provided.
    +2 link
    Lady Red
    Lady Red

1/31/2014
    Oooh, exciting! Looking forward to the answers!

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lady~Red
    +2 link
    ladymadsci
    ladymadsci

2/1/2014
    Alexis Kennedy wrote:

• You do mean the summer of 2013, yes? There must be some great secret to having them in by yesterday. ; )

--
    {quiet smile} behind you
    +2 link
    Inky Petrel
    Inky Petrel

2/1/2014
    Oh dear, poor Flyte. I hope they are at least entertained by some of the conspiracies while being force-fed darkdrop coffee and menaced by spiders :p

--
    Re: Fallen London, please don't invite me to things or send me things, I'm only on occasionally, so you will waste your candle smile Thank you.
    +2 link
    Erik Vimes
    Erik Vimes

2/2/2014
    He (or someone else on the team) could make a simple program to search the spectrum of answers for certain answers (and slight variants, like "rats," "Rats," or "RATS!!!"). It would sort out a good portion of the responses as correct, and given the number 402,428, would save a LOT of time.

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Eric~Vimes
    +2 link
    dragonridingsorceress
    dragonridingsorceress

2/3/2014
    I do hope the answers will be shared. I know I gave up on being "correct" with my alt, and went for (what I thought were) funny answers.

--
    DragonRidingSorceress is an Author of good standing. Mostly good standing. She's happy to accept any social action except Photographer and Loitering, but requests warnings before duping/poisoning/etc.

Seeker of Names is a... being with an obsession. They're willing to accept all invitations.
    One who seeks to know all that is and may be. One who dances in the silence of the void. One whose fantasies make the reality come alive.
    +2 link
    Spacemarine9
    Spacemarine9

2/5/2014
    I got 14; which means I passed the Fallen London Exam with a 78% grade.
    Although I think I had at least one joke answer and two or three I was flipping back and forth on, so that's pretty good all considered.

--
    my rats will blot out the sun
    Ratgames
    FL lore/mechanics questions and answers
    #FallenLondon IRC (irc.synirc.net) Channel! Click to join via Mibbit.
    #SunlessSea IRC channel! Like the above, but zee-ier.
    +2 link
    dismallyOriented
    dismallyOriented

2/5/2014
    9. Not bad, for a month in the Fifth City.
    +2 link
    streetfelineblue
    streetfelineblue

2/5/2014
    Ohmyohmyohmy! No news for me yet - well, if they adopted the alphabetical order, I should probably be patient. But HEY! It's years that we're puzzling about these questions. I'm excited as a schoolboy *_*

--
    Twitter: @streetfelineblu
    Blue's LiveJournal
    Blue's Echo Bazaar profile
    Blue's Night Circus diary
    Link to Ocelot's Enigma Ambition hint page; PM for clarification. No direct solutions provided.
    +1 link
    RandomWalker
    RandomWalker

2/5/2014
    12 out of 19 for me, which is more than I expected. I'm looking forward to seeing the answers and grateful for Mr Flyte's speed in processing all those answers.
    +1 link
    babelfishwars
    babelfishwars

2/5/2014
    Spacemarine9 wrote:
    I got 14; which means I passed the Fallen London Exam with a 78% grade.
    Although I think I had at least one joke answer and two or three I was flipping back and forth on, so that's pretty good all considered.

I got the same as you which makes me a little happy.

--
    Mars, God of Fish; Leaning Tower of Fish
    +1 link
    Voodoo Master
    Voodoo Master

2/5/2014
    Well, I only got 10 of them right, but I think it's still respectable.
    10 Fate is a really nice sum, and is pretty useful. Especially since I'm planning on buying an Ubergoat soon. Very soon.
    edited by Voodoo Master on 2/5/2014
    +1 link
    circe
    circe

2/5/2014
    I just got a message and I managed to get 12 correct - I can't even remember what I answered for all the questions or even how many questions there were.

--
    Lady Circe in Fallen London - http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lady~Circe
    Adding no Suppers without prior arrangement, with only 5 Free Evenings a week and being a Patron I can't accept them all.
    No Affluent Photographer, Sharing Research with Another Scholar or Boxed Cats accepted. I will send Boxed Cats though. All other social actions welcome. Will help menaces, please be reasonable.
    +1 link
    RandomWalker
    RandomWalker

2/1/2014
    It shouldn't be THAT bad. I seem to recall that about eight questions have pretty easy-to-parse answers - convert the answers to the Ladybones Road question into a .csv, open in Excel, sort/filter around Marylebone (and the related misspellings if you're feeling generous), flag the winners, scan the rest for amusing mistakes and unusual misspellings and then move on. Say half an hour per, if you're feeling generous with the various possible typos.

The trickier ones should still be handleable via keywords and the like, or at least the major errors can be eliminated - if the foxes didn't all die due to being eaten by bats, it should be fairly easy to find all cases of the word 'bats' and flag them as wrong. Word cloud software can give hints on the keywords to search for. You should be able to eliminate a significant number of wrong answers that way, leaving the tedious maybe-right/maybe-wrong questions for the poor Mr Flyte.

Not having seen the dataset, it might be more ghastly then I'm imagining, but I suspect the data to have relatively low entropy. The 'what did other people say' option will likely mean that most people will seize upon the most popular answer, encouraging large blocks of almost word-for-word identical text, which should be relatively easy to handle.
    edited by RandomWalker on 2/1/2014
    +1 link
    Rupho Schartenhauer
    Rupho Schartenhauer

2/6/2014
    varinn wrote:
    14 out of 19! Radical, nailed it.
    So, there were 19 mysteries in total? I never thought to count them... anyway, someone has got to beat my 16 correct answers?!

--
    Rupho Schartenhauer has killed a Master, well: most of it.
    Cortez the Killer has killed a Master, definitely.
    Deepdelver has begotten a star. It's... complicated.
    Dr. Kvirkvelia, gone NORTH on 23/12/1894.
    +1 link
    Shadowhand
    Shadowhand

2/5/2014
    12 over here. And here I thought we'd figured all this stuff out.

--
    Twitter: @mortshadow - Fallen London: Shadowhand

Benjamin Gabbay, a silly and crafty individual of mysterious and indistinct intentions
    +1 link
    Inky Petrel
    Inky Petrel

2/6/2014
    11 for me, not bad, but I did think a few more had been puzzled out than that. Really looking forward to seeing the answers! (Actually more excited for that than for the fate, though that is certainly very nice too.)

--
    Re: Fallen London, please don't invite me to things or send me things, I'm only on occasionally, so you will waste your candle smile Thank you.
    +1 link
    Helen Demeter
    Helen Demeter

2/8/2014
    Got 12 in an alt and 7 in my main character. 12 is when following someone else’s theories on the answers and 7 is going with the most common answers then, more or less.

After reading the statistics, I have to ask: Who is the one who got the ‘between the stars’ and ‘where the foxes are’ ones correctly? I’m pretty curious as to know what their thought process for that one was because those answers were a surprise for me.
    edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 2/8/2014

--
    Helen Demeter, the Bohemian Beauty
    Has finally returned after an unexpected hiatus. Please mind the dust but do know that I'm now open to all social actions and invitations.
    +1 link
    dragonridingsorceress
    dragonridingsorceress

2/6/2014
    o_O I got 7 as Seeker of Names... which I THOUGHT I only gave joke answers to.

Flyte, did you accept funny ones as well? Or did I actually get some correct?

--
    DragonRidingSorceress is an Author of good standing. Mostly good standing. She's happy to accept any social action except Photographer and Loitering, but requests warnings before duping/poisoning/etc.

Seeker of Names is a... being with an obsession. They're willing to accept all invitations.
    One who seeks to know all that is and may be. One who dances in the silence of the void. One whose fantasies make the reality come alive.
    +1 link
    KatarinaNavane
    KatarinaNavane

2/6/2014
    I got 12 and am thoroughly amused by the correct answers, though I agree the foxes one was entirely unfair. Allegedly hinted, but I'm sure I never saw any hints toward that. Did anyone else?

--
    Storynexus sn Katarina Navane.

My art page (much of which is dark, Victorian, and/or full of tentacles): http://www.facebook.com/demonkittydesigns
    +1 link
    Seberin
    Seberin

2/7/2014
    Big congratulations to Wieland Burandt, who is officially the only person to have correctly answered 16 questions!

I was rather astonished by how few players answered 14 or higher: a measly 41, or about 1 for every 1000 players who answered at least one question correctly. If I'm not mistaken, that's roughly equivalent to the number of active posters on this forum, meaning that we probably know every single person in that elite group. Wow!

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Seberin%20Cirion
    +1 link
    Suitov
    Suitov

2/9/2014
    Two of my answers are in the quoted funny answers...

Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh! *undignified squeeing*

(they were incredibly rude and we don't speak of it, so I thought they were fair answers...)

--
    Hello, savoury persons. Shall we become acquainted?
    +1 link
    Martial Canterel
    Martial Canterel

2/10/2014
    Sooo..
    Has anyone found those 'oblique hints' to the foxes's fate yet?
    I thought the Relickers would hold some clues but as far as I can tell neither they nor their rats tell you anything of consequence on this matter.

--
    Lost in light
    +1 link