Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

Mr Eaten: Afterparty Messages in this topic - RSS

OPG
OPG

12/10/2013
Alexis Kennedy wrote:
If you see any Eaten content still playable in the wild, please let me know so I can freeze it.
  • Aww, I just passed over the Fate-Locked Inconvienced by your Aunt storylets in favor of regaining my soul so I could take part in this damnation/insanity. Rats.

• Also, if we're asking for things back, then months ago when Archaeological Expeditions became a thing my Archaeologist's Hat went away. I would like it back, please, as a fond memento even if my Semiotic Monocle is 4x effective.
  • EDIT: Paragraph 2 was facetious. I'm expecting nothing and understand its removal, although I do miss it.

• edited by OPG on 12/11/2013

--
    overpoweredginger, an irresistible, magnificent, midnight and sagacious gentleman.

A Fallen London Roleplay Community exists. Contrary to popular belief, Richard Nixon is not involved.
  • 0 link
    EmilyAriel
    EmilyAriel

12/10/2013
    John Evans wrote:
    Wait, is there some reason the St. Beau's Candle card isn't working? (By which I mean "You need Impossible! 1"...which is probably deliberate rather than a bug)

Yes, all SMEN content is locked until further notice.
  • 0 link
    neongrey
    neongrey

12/10/2013
    Honestly I think the best thing for everything to do right now -- especially the people who are panicking-- is to sit down, take a deep breath, and do your best to chill. Nothing's going to happen while Alexis takes the time and space to decide how to proceed from here, and staying worked up over it isn't going to help anyone feel better. It sucks, and I'm not going to tell anyone not to care about what happens with the story and content, but don't let it turn into some bizarre meta-ARG. smile

• Just take a breath, have a hot bath, a nice cup of tea, pet a cat. If you do not have a cat to pet, a cat will be petted for you. We do have transitive cats standing by ready to be petted via the magic of the internet.

--
    My Profile
  • +10 link
    Laluzi
    Laluzi

12/10/2013
    Neon, get on that cat petting. I am suffering from severe cat withdrawal already. It's getting critical over here.

Having said that, I'm still panicking, now that I've noticed candles are 'retired'. Retired has a rather permanent ring to it. e_e

--
    Feel free to ask if you need something! Uninterested in Trailing the Affluent Photographer.
    Mercer - an enigmatic and brutal individual. Frightfully strong. Has even more frightful manners.
    +3 link
    MidnightVoyager
    MidnightVoyager

12/10/2013
    I am no longer a Seeker, but I do carry the marks from it. I wonder now... if Seeking is locked down, will things like the card to sell your soul still be affected by the stains on my soul? or will I just have to discard them or pick the "go away" option?

--
    Midnight Voyager - A blood-cousin to predators. Collector of beasts. Affably mad.
    +1 link
    Saharan
    Saharan

12/10/2013
    MidnightVoyager wrote:
    I am no longer a Seeker, but I do carry the marks from it. I wonder now... if Seeking is locked down, will things like the card to sell your soul still be affected by the stains on my soul? or will I just have to discard them or pick the "go away" option?

It's a good question, certainly. If Seeking does stay, even in some form deemed "more palatable for the unwashed masses", I suspect the Stains will stick around. If it's wiped from the map completely... well, personally, I think a storylet that lets each user decide whether to keep them as mementos, or wash their hands of SMEN entirely would probably be the best course of action.

--
    My Saint - My Twitter - My Seeker
    "To light one candle to God and another to the Devils is the principle of wisdom."
    +1 link
    Corran
    Corran

12/11/2013
    Many people have said many things on here, and I agree with quite a few of the sentiments but I wanted to post a little myself as well.

I liked the Seeking content for a few reasons:

The whole collaborative effort on the forums and even beyond gave an extra dimension to the discovery.

Losing/grinding made for a (good) reason to keep playing and as someone else said, it did seem like most new content was Seeker content lately. I think Seeking is one of the major reason why so many people stick around after hitting the level/content barrier but that's obviously speculation on my part.

I was actually quite prepared to use the next candle to bring all my stats back to 1. I made yet another alt a short time back and I am really enjoying going back over the low level stuff (which goes by too quick these days if you don't watch out); so doing it again at my leisure with my main seemed quite fun.

The whole adversarial part of Seeking is what I liked the least. I never stole any tokens, not even from people who stole from me; it just seemed pointless. I did really like the agreement but it never really worked and never could 100% just cause not everyone reads the forums.

I just like to take my time and was in no rush to do the island (or spend fate/nex on refreshes). I can imagine though how others were quite excited by it, certainly after speculation that it was time limited.

In closing; as I'm sure most people know: you can't please everyone. I hope Seeking will continue in one form or other but Alexis' and Failbetter's well-being are paramount.

--
    My Fallen London profile
    +4 link
    Corran
    Corran

12/11/2013
    neongrey wrote:
    have a hot bath, a nice cup of tea, pet a cat.

Sounds like the perfect day to me.

--
    My Fallen London profile
    0 link
    OPG
    OPG

12/11/2013
    I'm honestly surprised that in ~24 hours of collectively freaking out that nobody has remembered that all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.

--
    overpoweredginger, an irresistible, magnificent, midnight and sagacious gentleman.

A Fallen London Roleplay Community exists. Contrary to popular belief, Richard Nixon is not involved.
    +7 link
    Aspeon
    Aspeon

12/11/2013
    I gave my cat a good pet on behalf of anyone who's still freaking out.

--
    A raccooning will not be postponed indefinitely.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Aspeon
    +1 link
    MidnightVoyager
    MidnightVoyager

12/11/2013
    The option to seek further is still open in the Forgotten Quarter. ("In your dreams, you hear a voice echoing hollowly each night")

--
    Midnight Voyager - A blood-cousin to predators. Collector of beasts. Affably mad.
    0 link
    Inky Petrel
    Inky Petrel

12/11/2013
    CAKE! Big Grin *throws confetti* I would like to take a moment to celebrate the wonderful and engaging content I HAVE experienced, and to remember that (as OPG mentioned just now) ALL SHALL BE WELL AND ALL MANNER OF THINGS SHALL BE WELL.
    ...now, who wants punch? And where did I put that anachronistic music playlist. Watch your step, there's a well in the middle of the dancefloor for some reason *side-eyes it*
    edited by Inky Petrel on 12/11/2013

--
    Re: Fallen London, please don't invite me to things or send me things, I'm only on occasionally, so you will waste your candle smile Thank you.
    0 link
    LouBlue
    LouBlue

12/11/2013
    OPG is right, all shall be well. My earlier post came at a bad time of the day; it's just a game, after all, and Alexis stepping back isn't a bad thing in the grand scheme. Probably the best thing at the moment. I just happened to be one of the unfortunate few who got caught out on it. I apologize for any unseemly whining which added to the tumult. smile

--
    My name is Joshua Temple. I first came to spy, I'll admit. I figured Fallen London was no harder than Canaan. But I stopped sending letters up some time ago. I'm a Londoner, and they can find other spies.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Joshua~Temple
    0 link
    David
    David

12/11/2013
    Inky Petrel wrote:
    CAKE! Big Grin *throws confetti* I would like to take a moment to celebrate the wonderful and engaging content I HAVE experienced, and to remember that (as OPG mentioned just now) ALL SHALL BE WELL AND ALL MANNER OF THINGS SHALL BE WELL.
    ...now, who wants punch? And where did I put that anachronistic music playlist. Watch your step, there's a well in the middle of the dancefloor for some reason *side-eyes it*
    edited by Inky Petrel on 12/11/2013

• I'm sorry, there is no more cake. I seem to have eaten it. I do apologize, but I seem to be so damnably hungry these days. Let's move onto music. I know an excellent little ditty about weasels...
  • +4 link
    Kade Carrion (an_ocelot)
    Kade Carrion (an_ocelot)

12/11/2013
    Calming cat for those without actual cat available:

--
    Social Actions: send them to Kade Carrion (she/her; no Tournament of Lilies, please). an_ocelot has gone NORTH and cannot benefit from social actions!

Possibly-Useful Things: Spreadsheets and hints and link collections, oh my.
    +3 link
    neongrey
    neongrey

12/11/2013
    Aw yeah, this cat purrs so loud and she is so cuddly. :3

... nobody eat the cats.

--
    My Profile
    +2 link
    EmilyAriel
    EmilyAriel

12/11/2013
    neongrey wrote:
    Aw yeah, this cat purrs so loud and she is so cuddly. :3

... nobody eat the cats.

• Even for seekers, some things are just beyond the pale. Thousands of rats? A mere trifle. But not a cat.
  • +1 link
    OPG
    OPG

12/11/2013
    LouBlue wrote:
    Probably the best thing at the moment.
    Actually I'm relatively miffed that I dumped 15 Fate into the game to retrieve my soul for the purpose of self-damnation. I actually liked being soulless and was originally planning to re-delve into the ruckus my Aunt was causing. If I had known this would happen I would've skipped the damnation and used the Fate to dance with the devils instead.

My point beyond tactless whining is that there is always dissent. The thing about dissent, though, is that it can be easily worked through, like my example. This entire Winkinggate fiasco has been an escalating cycle of assumptions and failures to communicate. And as Cool Hand Luke taught us, we should probably step back and communicate before something bad happens to Paul Newman.

EDIT/Clarification:I was tired and up late when that was typed, so I forgot where I was going multiple times and decided to end it on a classic movie reference and go sleep.
    edited by OPG on 12/11/2013

--

0 link
    Maerion
    Maerion

12/11/2013
    Whether I get to eat my own delicious social prominence or not, I know that all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well. My Seeker will pass the time scaring away her former appreciation society with missives in Violant Ink.
    0 link
    NiteBrite
    NiteBrite

12/11/2013
    Now that I’ve actually had some sleep and time to think I can see the big picture now, what happened, what was supposed to happen, and where it all went horribly wrong. And honestly? I can’t help but laugh.

This post is going to be a winking island spoilers heavy post so I am including spoiler tags and color text to hid spoilers within the spoiler, but hopefully it will be very informative to those who wish to know. Be warned, it discusses mechanics and can shred a lot of the mystery around the island. It’s my understanding that the way winking island was supposed to work is

[spoiler] 1. A player gains or loses a random amount of fasting and meditating (F&M) between 1 and 10 on a 10 action storylet. Win or lose, the player gains menace.
    2. When menace hits 8, the island kicks the player off and removes all of their F&M. (this not happening properly was the bug).
    3. There is no way while on the island to reduce ones menace. (this is where I and alexander went wrong. Alexander by exploiting Christmas cards. I by exploiting stored social actions.)
    4. A player, having discovered that high menace destroys all progress will learn to make small trips to the island, gain a bit of menace, then leave to heal. A successful completion of winking island will have the player making several trips back … and forthigan (the candle name is a clever pun ahaha XD).
    5. High value scraps items can boost progress making the journey faster and more assured. Uncapped items like veils-velvet give minor amounts of progress but no menace. Other items give more progress, but can only be used in specific ranges of F&M.

So that’s what –should- have happened. Where did it all go wrong. The first issue was a bug. A very minor bug that actually, if it had been known in advance would have been extremely beneficial to the player, but left unknown created a situation where

the player did not know the ill effects of menace gain on the island until after they had invested a substantial amount of turns. The bug that the menace kick did not activate when it should have had to do with the unique way linked storylets were set up on the island. Instead of the player learning their lesson right away after 2 to 3 actions, one could be several hundred actions into progressing F&M before it randomly kicked in and booted them. It’s a lot less of a wound to lose 7 or 10 progress learning how the place work than it is to lose 40 to 50.

But even still, there was a backup safety system that should have prevented players from investing too many actions without learning the dangers of menace:

The menace gaining F&M storylets lock at either nightmares 8 or wounds 8. Since there is no natural way to reduce either of these menaces while on the island, this in effect locks the player out of wasting actions in the event the menace kick fails to trigger. You can think of the nightmares and wounds locks as a sort of fail safe or last line of defense. If the player does get locked out of making actions, and the menace kick does not occur, they still are not trapped forever. Time the healer will eventually remove their menace and let them leave or keep playing. But since time the healer only comes once a week, it’s not a major break in the ‘rapidly learn the dangers of menace’ mechanic.

Haha, now here is the part where some of the blame for how this thing exploded comes back to me and alexander and other players, completely independent of the content design:

while on the island, Alexander actively encouraged players to send him christmas cards. Christmas cards are a temporary, seasonal item that reduce menace drastically, and raise stats a lot too. It’s an exploit that they work even on winking island. An exploit that disabled the menace/wounds lockout fail safe mentioned above. For Alexander, this was a great boon, for he never did accidentally trigger the nightmares kick. He never had need to learn of the dangers of menace. I don’t know if he used other menace reduction methods such as social actions, but I suspect so.

When I went to winking island, I did a similar thing. Not with christmas cards, I wasn’t there long enough for that, but with social actions. I used stored wounds heals and nightmares confessions to lower my menaces while on the island, when I shouldn’t have been able to reduce menace at all. In both my case and alexander’s this was a serious break in the mechanics. It meant we could go longer without ever learning the most basic lesson that menace is really bad. At most, it just seemed to be a minor nuisance/time delayer.

To compound the issue further nex was used. Not the smartest idea when it comes to eaten content. This is the part everyone here already knows. Actions were refreshed. There was a sense of desperate urgency. Rumors of time limits. Literal angry mobs frothing at the mouth every second that someone held the card just a little longer than needed, and the overall impression from alexander’s roaring success that the whole thing was fairly painless and easy. I can say with confidence now that all of those rumors, impressions, and perceived advantages were false. If anything christmas cards and extra actions were a grave danger. The danger being they prolonged a bad situation, a situation of ignorance of very real dangers. There was no time limit. No one should have been angry over people taking their time. Wasted, foolish energy and panic is all that was. Haha, I have to say I was under tremendous stress because of all of these things (especially the deadline rumor) and that, along with the high action limit, drove me to foolhardy nex expenditures and gifting. A pity, but totally understandable. I wasn’t the only person there to do this either. Probably 3 out of five people who went spent fate while there. More on the number of visitors will be discussed below.

I think, if the rumor of a time limit had been dispelled a little earlier, and if winking island mechanics had discouraged nex abuse (such as working of short timer living stories like in rat sending simulator 2k13) the volatile emotions that made this thing explode so grandly could have been greatly diffused. I think that’s the situation we are in now. Everything exploded, people are taking a step back now and heads are cooling now that we know better. There are good reasons, I am sure that this didn’t happen sooner. Perhaps to maintain an air of mystery. Perhaps to drive hype to a fever pitch. We’ll never know, but the lesson here is mania is a fire, and if it’s not controlled completely it’s only a matter of time until someone gets burned.

Compounding the issue further

when the menace kick finally did trigger, well into my journey on winking island, it looped on itself. This was a bug, perhaps even, the same bug with linked storylets that prevented it from triggering earlier. This looping made it feel wrong. Like it shouldn’t have happened. Since the text is similar to that of getting sent to the royal beth, I had assumed I accidentally triggered getting sent there and broke a thing. It’s terrible to lose progress. Its worse to lose progress to something that feels and looks wrong. That looks like a bug. It’s even worse when that happens long, long after it should have.
    So I was blindsided. What should have been a light slap on the wrist became a death blow to the heart. And I went into meltdown. I couldn’t think straight, I couldn’t anything. Utter panic and chaos set in as my friends had to calm me down enough to remember that you can use a goldfish to lower nightmares. That was good enough to get me off the island. But it was too late for my materials. I had given up my profession as a midnighter to become a poet, for fear of needing to rapidly restats

no stats were lost on accepting the card

Because I had gotten to high levels of fasting and meditating with no problems, I expended my veils-velvet. An act I would not have done until after learning the dangers of menace if everything had worked as intended (and I hadn’t exploited social actions). I lost all the fate I spent attempting to rush because of the rumor mill and general hysteria of the masses about time limits. I had nothing and it left me reeling. So that’s why I posted such crazed and distressed messages to the boards. Friends and colleges who hold me in respect and high regard swooped in to console and defend me, but that just made things explode further.

And that’s the honest truth of what happened on winking island. You would think I would be mad about bugs and errors in gameplay, but honestly I am laughing now. I was as much the engineer of my own demise as the bug was haha.

It’s like having a gas stove with a broken auto-igniter. Gas slowly fills the room and it keeps trying to strike. Eventually it works and causes a large fireball. That’s what the

menace kick linked storylet failuire bug

Did. It took little fires and made them big.

The christmas cards and social action exploits were akin to turning up the gas flow the stove isn’t lighting. Using nex was like ripping the pipes out of the walls haha. Of course that was a bad idea. I didn’t know at the time, but stepping back it’s comically foolhardy.

Oh man, “stove won’t light, better rip the pipes out of the walls :v” –NiteBrite quote of the year. You can’t say I am not foolish. In fact, I was selected for receiving the card because I am extremely foolish. The most foolhardy fool of all the seekers. And that’s why I can say, yes, I was satisfied with the winking island content. Folks wanted a show, and I think I gave them their monies worth (not literal money, its a figure speech) by exploding into a fantastic firework. I can only imagine the look on Alexis’s face as the tiger see this massive gas cloud billowing out of NiteBrite’s house right before the big boom Big Grin

My apologies, Alexis, and the rest of my fellow seekers. I blew up the SMEN-ence lab by being too reckless. It’s a shame whoever saw this mess tried to swoop in and prey on it with unfounded legal threats. That was just the icing on the cake. While everything is exploded, director of the SMEN-ences, Alexis has wisely closed the lab for rebuilding. It makes sense. Everything is on fire still, give it a little time to heal. It can be rebuilt and safeties can be implemented to prevent this from happening again (I particularly like the short living story timer suggestion). I hope all shall be well again in my aftermath, and that SMEN opens once again. I may have blown up, but I still love it so <3

Oh, and I would be remiss to forget the others. I may have been the epicenter, of this explosion, but others were caught in my wake due to

the card duplication bug. When Alexander was giving up his card, he came up with a mad plan. He would send the card and have me accept after he landed on the island. He wanted to see what would happen.

Alexis had anticipated such a mad strategy. Being on the island without the card should have triggered an auto-kick story. But that didn’t happen to alexander. He landed safely, unawares that he now had two cards after sending it to me, rather than one. I in turn, returned home after exploding, to lick my wounds and heal. I was in a right state, and unfit to return to the island so I passed the card along to my chosen next in line, Dolan.

Dolan, was a controversial choice. Folks from the pact don’t like him much, but I know him well enough from K&C and chat that I knew I could trust him to stick to a plan. He was prepared, in a similar manner as me, and he had three of the high value items to cash in. The desire for rare text and the knowledge he could be trusted and that he was prepared to a similar level as I was were deciding factors in this choice. He legitimately received the card from me then went on to the island.

It was at this time I noticed I not only still had the card, but that I had two. I passed it on again, to see what would happen. It duplicated the card, confirming my suspicions. So I asked the person I sent the card to to wait. The card could have been a bug but with SMEN content, its hard to tell. Arguably, it could have been intended to duplicate all along, making the infighting and rage and popularity contests all comically unnecessary all along. Haha, that would have been great. A total troll on the part of Alexis. I sent a duplicated card to spacemarine (who was asleep) as a teasing joke since I knew he couldn’t accept for a week due to candle curious. Unfortunately, it turns out it was a bug. Words were misunderstood on forums posts between me and Alexis. This lead to people on the island, including dolan, who should have legitimately had the original card, getting booted, as what should have happened to alexander when he first attempted his silly card passing plan. I can understand dolan feeling cheated and asking for a refund. For all he knew, he had a legitimate card and was kicked for no reason. This was my fault! I am sorry to have caused this incident by not recognizing the duplication as a bug proper and not an intended act sooner. You were caught in my error, and that wasn’t right. Alexis, probably, at that point had no idea where the card legitimately belonged. This is my speculation as to why I kept the cards and no one else did. And that’s why others suffered in the aftermath of my explosion.

And so, that’s the entire story of everything, at least, from my perspective. I am really sorry to have caused so much trouble and chaos. I like to think of this as a hard earned lesson in being reckless with SMEN and content boundaries. I share my story, in hopes that others will learn from me not to be so foolhardy. Apologies to everyone again. [/spoiler]
    edited by NiteBrite on 12/11/2013

--
    I AM currently accepting calling cards.
    Stats loss counter: reset, irrigo equivalent: none
    [00:34] <@ortab> NiteBrite's laugh is that of a condemned soul gazing into the abyss.
    Merciless Modiste avatar by Paul Arendt (based on an original image by Joe England)
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/TheBriteModiste
    +16 link