Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Salons

Here you can speculate on the game’s plot, discuss its characters, and compare notes with other players.

Spread your Tale of Terror! Messages in this topic - RSS

Zack Oak
Zack Oak

3/3/2012
Well, I've gone through this story completely, and have made a point of doing it again for the more lucrative deals that can result along the way. But I have to say that (spoilers) selling information to the devils netting me the "hellfarer" quality certainly raised an eyebrow. Just what sort of fate am I condemning myself to? (/spoilers) Things are getting *very* interesting.
edited by ZackOak on 3/3/2012

--
Roland Banning, The Ambitious Operative (Profile)
Tumblr RP Account
Ask me about the Delicious Friends RP group!
Open for social actions (no cats or photographers, please. Currently taking a break from K&C.)
0 link
KatarinaNavane
KatarinaNavane

3/3/2012
Success! finally. I must admit this is a pretty frustrating mechanic. I didn't keep track of my overall costs, but I have 40 fewer tales of terror than when I started, and I ran out of correspondence plaques halfway through and had to make more.

--
Storynexus sn Katarina Navane.

My art page (much of which is dark, Victorian, and/or full of tentacles): http://www.facebook.com/demonkittydesigns
0 link
Dave
Dave

3/3/2012
That's fascinating Zack... That sounds very much like the quality I had previously assumed came from the Theological Husbandry fate-locked story. Can anyone confirm that? I made a different choice on that embankment...

--
The Dave, a terrifying, lethal, inescapable and sagacious gentleman
0 link
Estelle Knoht
Estelle Knoht

3/4/2012
Dave wrote:
That's fascinating Zack... That sounds very much like the quality I had previously assumed came from the Theological Husbandry fate-locked story. Can anyone confirm that? I made a different choice on that embankment...

Yes, Hellfarer 1 from opting out during the "Deal with the Devil" stage.

SPOILER: I thought you get something like Hellfarer 34 from the embankment card?

--
Estelle Knoht, a juvenile, unreliable and respectable lady.
I currently do not accept any catbox, cider, suppers, calling cards or proteges.
0 link
Zack Oak
Zack Oak

3/4/2012
This is one of what I believe are two ways to get the quality. Spoiler: You net it at 34 when you get it from the theological husbandry story. Same with Fist of the Bazaar.

--
Roland Banning, The Ambitious Operative (Profile)
Tumblr RP Account
Ask me about the Delicious Friends RP group!
Open for social actions (no cats or photographers, please. Currently taking a break from K&C.)
0 link
Patrick Reding
Patrick Reding

3/4/2012
ZackOak wrote:
This is one of what I believe are two ways to get the quality. Spoiler: You net it at 34 when you get it from the theological husbandry story. Same with Fist of the Bazaar.

And Empire's Kingmaker.

--
http://echobazaar.failbettergames.com/Profile/Yana
0 link
MNess
MNess

3/4/2012
I have to say, I'm finding this storyline very frustrating. Part of the problem is that I'm not having much luck even with the "pretty good odds" of transforming Tales of Terror into Deja Vus. But the other problem is that so far, I have actually managed to get to the Dark Lens three times -- losing on several other attempts -- to lose all three times.

I don't mind the chance options on short storylines, but it's frustrating to have a purely chance storyline of six steps. And I'm guessing that players that joined after I did (I have Tales of Terror to burn, since as an older player I've been able to grind up all kinds of things) will find this even more frustrating once they reach this point. Perhaps at least switching the last few steps back to "pretty good odds" instead of "it could go either way"? (Mind you, with the number of Tales of Terror I lost on "pretty good odds" I'm not sure how helpful that is.)
0 link
Urthdigger
Urthdigger

3/4/2012
I think it's intended to be frustrating: You're gambling after all. With each step down the line, your profit becomes bigger and bigger, and it becomes a question of if you'll cash out now, or keep going for the grand prize. It should be noted that, outside of the aforementioned quality which can be gotten elsewhere and does not appear to actually do anything, as well as the end reward (which can be gotten by scraps with the relickers), there doesn't seem to be any unique rewards. So, I don't think it's anything you're expected to complete: You can ignore it and be perfectly fine.

--
Looking for second chances to maximize your loot output from those troublesome storylets? Check out our handy gang of volunteers in this thread, or even volunteer yourself!

@Urthdigger on twitter
0 link
MNess
MNess

3/4/2012
Urthdigger, I get that, except that I'm largely playing this to see where the story goes, and to a considerably lesser extent accumulate things with weird names smile Not for the rewards; I grind between new content releases so that I can immediately move on to the new stories as soon as they appear. So when it's this difficult to tell where the story goes, I find it frustrating. This is, in theory, only six storylets; in three days I've yet to reach number six.

Then again I'm not big on gambling real life, either. I find slot machines deadly dull. Others love them, so this is almost certainly one of those "your mileage may vary."
+1 link
Andrew Zelinske
Andrew Zelinske

3/4/2012
I just agreed to stop researching the fidgeting writer a second time, and got 1 change point to my hellfarer quality (so if I do it again I'll be at lvl 2 Hellfarer). perhaps this quality will eventually do something later on, and while those above mentioned ways are clearly the fastest, they decided to offer a very slow alternate means for others to get it as well?
0 link
Alva St-Snow
Alva St-Snow

3/4/2012
I like it but I wish I could use my social actions, like sudden insights or surprise attack plans, to get second chances. I get to the 'Deal with a Devil' story and lose each time. It's starting to feel discouraging.

EDIT: also, on a fail, you end up your Story tab, instead of returning to the Myself tab, which is frustrating. I wish it would behave like other inventory actions.
edited by Alva St-Snow on 3/5/2012

--
Alva St-Snow An irresistible individual of mysterious and indistinct gender. Fond of cats, books, gin & searing enigmas. Possibly photosynthetic. http://twitter.com/AlvaStSnow
0 link
Early
Early

3/5/2012
Patrick Reding wrote:
ZackOak wrote:

And Empire's Kingmaker.

Oh? I'd never heard about that one, just the other two.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Early
0 link
T WO Chandler
T WO Chandler

3/5/2012
Early wrote:
Patrick Reding wrote:
ZackOak wrote:

And Empire's Kingmaker.

Oh? I'd never heard about that one, just the other two.

You can pick up a variety of rare qualities for finishing that particular bit of fate-locked content.

I myself got Hellfarer 34, A Brazen Fate 10 - With Cleansing Blade and A Warrior's Code 1 - A Soldier of Principle for agreeing to help the Bishop.
edited by T.W.O. Chandler on 3/5/2012

--
For secrets are their own reward.
0 link