Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Salons

Here you can speculate on the game’s plot, discuss its characters, and compare notes with other players.

Spread your Tale of Terror! Messages in this topic - RSS

Early
Early

3/2/2012
Aha, finished. And the reward is... er, impressive, in its way. An item worth over 300 echoes, anyway.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Early
0 link
Branden Linton
Branden Linton

3/2/2012
Myself being one of the luckier individuals in the Neath I am already at a point where stopping the search is quite profitable. For smashing my lens of black I have been offered a Searing Enigma, a Primeval Hint, a Bazaar Permit, and a Comprehensive Bribe. This has made my blood thirst even more powerful. On a side note I think this storyline is repeatable so with the right combination of luck and perseverance you could rack quite a lot of loot.

--
Brom Girvan: a man of shadows and secrets. http://echobazaar.failbettergames.com/Profile/Brom~Girvan
0 link
Aspeon
Aspeon

3/2/2012
Some quick calculations indicate that it's not that bad a deal. If I got my math right, assuming the data on the Wiki as of now is correct, "pretty good odds" is 70%, "it could go either way" is 50%, you value an action at 1 Echo, and you don't care about the cost to convert items from lower-tier ones:

Say you're looking for Antique Mysteries, so you'll cash out at that point and no sooner. You have a 24% chance of getting there, so on average you'll fail 3 times per 1 success. In those 3 failures, you'll waste a total of ~7.5 Echoes and actions. In the successful attempt, you'll spend 5 actions and 3 Echoes worth of goods, for a total cost of 15.5 Echoes+actions, but the payout's worth 25.
edited by Aspeon on 3/2/2012

--
A raccooning will not be postponed indefinitely.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Aspeon
0 link
Branden Linton
Branden Linton

3/2/2012
On a side note. I think failbetter games forgot the part where we get punished for going all the way to the end of the story. I mean I thought there would be a punishment somewhere. Nope just a 300 echo shiny and a muddied conscience. Not quite what I had in mind. >_>

--
Brom Girvan: a man of shadows and secrets. http://echobazaar.failbettergames.com/Profile/Brom~Girvan
0 link
Patrick Reding
Patrick Reding

3/2/2012
Branden Linton wrote:
On a side note. I think failbetter games forgot the part where we get punished for going all the way to the end of the story. I mean I thought there would be a punishment somewhere. Nope just a 300 echo shiny and a muddied conscience. Not quite what I had in mind. >_>

This isn't Mr. Eaten we're talking about here. Unless it is. I haven't gotten past the hotel yet.

--
http://echobazaar.failbettergames.com/Profile/Yana
0 link
Dave
Dave

3/2/2012
Patrick Reding wrote:
Maybe it's supposed to be a money sink, to keep people from just blowing through the next batch of content once it's released. Well, it seems to be working.

According to the steam-powered computational engine deep under my lair in the marsh, it should take approximately 115 turns on average to succeed, with a cost of just over 100 echos of goods (sell-able value.) Considering the payoff, that's actually a pretty decent money maker, rather than a sink - aside from the unfortunate vagaries of lady luck. Of course, a marsh wolf may have gotten stuck in the gears again, so my numbers may be steaming excrement.

--
The Dave, a terrifying, lethal, inescapable and sagacious gentleman
+1 link
Maurna Frost
Maurna Frost

3/2/2012
I am quite interested but I too find my "pretty good odds" to actually be really fairly poor. I shall wait to make further tries until I have more of the second item used. I have a bit of stock in Tales of Terror but not the Visions of the Surface.

But I do have PLENTY of other goals to keep myself occupied with so this one mystery will just have to wait in line!

~MF
A Lady juggling plans

--
~MF

I greatly enjoy meeting delicious new friends and participating in deliciously exciting new adventures! Please feel free to drop a card to meet for dinner, exchange favors, give an interview, or any other activity that comes to mind. I DO particpate in exchanges requiring Fate, BUT you must contact me first; twitter, facebook, or here on the forums via PM.

Note: I am currently exchanging parcels with a large number of dear friends and my parcel opportunities are rare. I am always willing to exchange but your rate of return may be rather slow. To find others to exchange with I recommend the Starveling list.
0 link
KatarinaNavane
KatarinaNavane

3/2/2012
Out of curiosity, how many steps are there? I got to the lens, but that's the furthest I've made it so far.

--
Storynexus sn Katarina Navane.

My art page (much of which is dark, Victorian, and/or full of tentacles): http://www.facebook.com/demonkittydesigns
0 link
Branden Linton
Branden Linton

3/2/2012
KatarinaNavane wrote:
Out of curiosity, how many steps are there? I got to the lens, but that's the furthest I've made it so far.

That's the last step. The reward is right around the corner.

--
0 link
Estelle Knoht
Estelle Knoht

3/2/2012
'In the deepest matters of frustration, always look to luck. Always.'

Still, it is fun. And we get to see the soft-hearted widow again!
edited by Byron Man on 3/2/2012

--
Estelle Knoht, a juvenile, unreliable and respectable lady.
I currently do not accept any catbox, cider, suppers, calling cards or proteges.
0 link
KatarinaNavane
KatarinaNavane

3/2/2012
Branden Linton wrote:
KatarinaNavane wrote:

That's the last step. The reward is right around the corner.

Good to know!

--

My art page (much of which is dark, Victorian, and/or full of tentacles): http://www.facebook.com/demonkittydesigns
0 link
Estelle Knoht
Estelle Knoht

3/2/2012
Early wrote:
Aha, finished. And the reward is... er, impressive, in its way. An item worth over 300 echoes, anyway.

Also can be gotten by 680 scraps... so in the end it is a very good deal if you are lucky.

Yep, I just finished the storyline within 30 actions. I did it by make sure I have 3 copies of each stage before progressing to the next - I personally feel that it is less likely to fail three times in a row.
edited by Byron Man on 3/2/2012

--
Estelle Knoht, a juvenile, unreliable and respectable lady.
I currently do not accept any catbox, cider, suppers, calling cards or proteges.
0 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

3/2/2012
Fascinating story! Interesting mechanics. Obviously, it's shiny-new, so I'm absolutely obligated to explore it, but once it's established enough to be optional... yeah, it's a gamble, but it's fun! I like it.

--
Sir Frederick, the Emancipationist Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
0 link

3/2/2012
I think this kind of storylines (I suspect there will be more in the near future) are mainly for those who have capped their abilities (or are close to) and are a bit at a loss of what to do, and do not mind to waste a bit of items.
0 link
Alexis Kennedy
Alexis Kennedy

3/2/2012
As some people surmised, this is a little bit of gambling entertainment. Unlike most gambling, we have tuned the odds carefully so that in the long run you'll come out, on average, a little ahead, but of course you could be very lucky or unlucky. There's enough texture in there, in terms of different goods, that there are a variety of strategies you can weigh up in terms of cashing out for particular goods, if you're playing the economy game.

The mechanic came first; the story is ultimately flavour. But I think Chris did a blinding job on it, and it teases some upcoming content which will tie together existing mysteries.
+2 link
Patrick Reding
Patrick Reding

3/2/2012
Alexis Kennedy wrote:
The mechanic came first; the story is ultimately flavour. But I think Chris did a blinding job on it, and it teases some upcoming content which will tie together existing mysteries.

I had the feeling we'd be seeing these three gentlemen again. The story was great, and does a great job of answering questions with more questions, but mechanically I suppose I'm just not in the target audience for this particular piece of content, since I personally despise the feelings of tension and compulsion gambling-based mechanics tend to create in me.
edited by Patrick Reding on 3/2/2012

--
http://echobazaar.failbettergames.com/Profile/Yana
+1 link
Dave
Dave

3/2/2012

That was my first thought - that this story ties together at least two others (or at least hints at such ties.) I'm just trying to figure out exactly which ones. Very exciting stuff! I enjoyed the story more than the monetary payoff - impressive though it was. I suppose that may change once I have a use for the thing...

--
The Dave, a terrifying, lethal, inescapable and sagacious gentleman
0 link
Andrew Zelinske
Andrew Zelinske

3/2/2012
well it's something to do while waiting for doubt street op cards to show, at least. picked up a night-whisper so far, then got as far as the lens before failing
0 link
KatarinaNavane
KatarinaNavane

3/3/2012
Getting frustrated, I got to the lens three times and failed all three. I wish adventures turned over more quickly.

--

0 link
Lyssie
Lyssie

3/3/2012
Hmm... I'm saving up for an Overgoat, but the promise of payoff from this storyline is awfully tempting...

--
Profile - @Lyssiechan on Twitter
0 link