Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Salons

Here you can speculate on the game’s plot, discuss its characters, and compare notes with other players.

Peculiar Taxes Messages in this topic - RSS

Rupho Schartenhauer
Rupho Schartenhauer

3/1/2012
"The Masters apply peculiar customs duties: to fish below a certain size, to green ribbons but not red, to speckled eggs but not plain. Perhaps their strangest tax is a heavy duty on stories of love: but it only applies to stories leaving the Neath..."

The fish probably relates to "the tiny blind fish" that the Rubbery Men eat. That way, even the Rubbery Men have to pay taxes to the Masters.
We know that the Bazaar somehow lives off love stories, so taxing those leaving the Neath is not a surprise either.
But what about green ribbons and speckled eggs?

--
Rupho Schartenhauer has killed a Master, well: most of it.
Cortez the Killer has killed a Master, definitely.
Deepdelver has begotten a star. It's... complicated.
Dr. Kvirkvelia, gone NORTH on 23/12/1894.
0 link
Patrick Reding
Patrick Reding

3/1/2012
The eggs and ribbons are probably just examples of how the Masters' laws don't always make any sense. To a human mind, at least.

--
http://echobazaar.failbettergames.com/Profile/Yana
0 link
Lady Red
Lady Red

3/1/2012
If you look at the artwork, Gifts of Adoration have red ribbons (tax free) and Gifts of Scorn have green (taxed). So that would make sense, given that the masters seem to have a strange fondness for love.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lady~Red
+2 link
Little The
Little The

3/1/2012
Oh wow, that is a good find! You have keen eyes. Perhaps we should add this to the Fridge Brilliance section on the TV Tropes page?

Edit: But wait, why would the Masters tax an item of hate but not one of love? If the Bazaar subsists on love stories, isn't that kind of backwards?
edited by Little The on 3/1/2012

--
A gentleman of numerous descriptors that change far too often. Second chance and menace reduction invites are welcome.

My journey to Seek the Name is recorded for posterity here. I asked "Who is Salt?"

I am a member of the Temple Club. If you would like an invitation, feel free to request one!

Fallen London is a game of choices. When you make an important one, you can record your rationale here.
0 link
Rupho Schartenhauer
Rupho Schartenhauer

3/1/2012
Little The wrote:

Edit: But wait, why would the Masters tax an item of hate but not one of love? If the Bazaar subsists on love stories, isn't that kind of backwards?

Well, if the theory that the Masters somehow "feed" on love is right, then they would get something out of every sent gift: love from Gifts of Adoration, echoes from Gifts of Scorn.

--
Rupho Schartenhauer has killed a Master, well: most of it.
Cortez the Killer has killed a Master, definitely.
Deepdelver has begotten a star. It's... complicated.
Dr. Kvirkvelia, gone NORTH on 23/12/1894.
0 link
Felicity Chase
Felicity Chase

3/2/2012
Little The wrote:

Taxing Gifts of Scorn but not Gifts of Adoration would encourage more sending of the latter. ...Which doesn't explain the flavor text after you send a Gift of Adoration, now that I think of it.

--
@FelicityChase
Currently accepting: Almost all social actions. But please don't send me invitations to private dinners. And Nightmares may take a very long time to accept, unless you're willing to take some of mine in return.
0 link