Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

Frequency of Newspaper Opportunity Cards Messages in this topic - RSS

Howard John Abrahall
Howard John Abrahall

2/20/2012
Doubt street spoilers ahead ->

Quick query to fellow fallen Londoners and our beloved Masters..

I'm the proud owner and editor of an Organ of the Press - (The Discerning Chronicle, except no imitations).

I have established myself as a Humble Servant of the Truth, no outlandish or salacious gutter tripe will be found staining my proud broadsheet. However, to reach the highest echelons and the high bar set by the erudite Mr. Huffman and his damnably succesful gazette requires more Meritorious copies, than the storylet stages can actually provide, even with 100% success.

This goes for the highest level for Outlandish, Salacious, or Meritorious in fact - requring 112 or thereabouts. Thus, I have bene holding out for opportunity cards, and keeping my 'Hours before the Deadline' at a suitable stage to aquire certain cards, (currently leaving it on 7).
BUT, the frequency of ANY bronze-bordered newspaper cards is low indeed. Too low to be perfectly frank, (and I own a 4-card property). Also, the overwhelming majority are the social action based ones that require a friend at a suitable stage with an ambition.
I have a small collection of delicious friends whom I frequent the coffee shop with - but I find the social action ops for my newspaper mostly discarded.

I have had I think 2 Opportunities in 4 days come up, (whilst on 'Hours before the deadline 7') that award copies, and neither of these have been Meritorious.

Has anyone else found the 'Hours before the deadline' opportunity cards to be too infrequent and/or not of use for fun or progression, or have I just been exceptionally unlucky?

--
-----------------------------------------------------

MY PROFILE: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Howard~John~Abrahall

- A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

- Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

- Oscar Wilde
0 link
Patrick Reding
Patrick Reding

2/20/2012
I have had the exact same problem. They definitely don't show up often enough. It would help immensely to have friends you can bug for copy, but sadly all my EB friends are also persuing the Marvellous.

--
http://echobazaar.failbettergames.com/Profile/Yana
0 link
travellersside
travellersside

2/20/2012
They don't come up anywhere near often enough, and you'll need two in order to hit the top level (more if you intend to skim some cash off the till). The best plan is to start an issue, then wait for a card to show up. Having done so, you can then tailor your edition to match.
Unfortunately, as there's nothing else to do in Doubt Street while you wait, you really want to go in with an empty candle, a full deck and a lot of items to convert. That should help keep you busy without wasting actions.
Or you can just wander away and pay the action cost to get back in later (but if you're able to find something to do while you wait, you're not wasting actions moving).
0 link
JohnPurple
JohnPurple

2/20/2012
Howard Abrahall wrote:
- requring 112 or thereabouts.

Actually, this requires exactly 104. So if you win all shadowy challenges, you'll still missing 12 copies, meening you can achieve it with 4 social-action cards, 2 other bronze card, or 2 social actions and one other bronze card.
It's not THAT bad.
In fact, when I start the presses, I immediately Attend to the Press, then leave Doubt Street, acquire a brand new Whirring Contraption, wait to have my 12 copies, and return to Doubt Street.
And, frankly, those cards are not so rare - I draw approximately one every 40-50 (plus the social ones). On the other hand, over thousands (yes, thousands!) cards, I drew only one card related to my "Clandestine Rendezvous at Watchmakers Hill" pet. But I must admit I don't search specifically Meritorious, Salacious or Outlandish copies, I just return to Doubt Street when I have 18 copies of one sort - so my readers are always surprised by my newspaper.

As you leave Doubt Street with 7 Hours before Deadline, may I assume the second set of bronze-bordered opportunity cards is rarer than the first? This can be an explanation.

--
http://echobazaar.failbettergames.com/Profile/John~Purple
"From which, remarkably enough, nothing develops"
0 link
Malt Jones
Malt Jones

2/20/2012
I had the same issue, and had to bug the same friend thrice, because she was the only one I knew who was still playing and had the light fingers ambition.

However, I from the posts above am I correct in asuming that these cards also appear once you leave Doubt Street (if you have "X Hours before Deadline")? That would pretty much make the low frequency a non-issue for me.

--
"I can resist everything except temptation"
0 link
Inpiun
Inpiun

2/20/2012
Malt Jones wrote:
However, I from the posts above am I correct in asuming that these cards also appear once you leave Doubt Street (if you have "X Hours before Deadline")?

That is correct, they can appear anywhere.

By the way, if anyone would like to hear my views on giant jewels, I'm always available.

--
My profile
@Inpiun
0 link
Malt Jones
Malt Jones

2/20/2012
Inpiun wrote:
Malt Jones wrote:
However, I from the posts above am I correct in asuming that these cards also appear once you leave Doubt Street (if you have "X Hours before Deadline")?

That is correct, they can appear anywhere.

By the way, if anyone would like to hear my views on giant jewels, I'm always available.

Marvelous! Then I see no problem about the frequency.

And thank you, I will most likely contact you for an interview when I start working on my next edition.
For those in need of a source with information on the Vake I can be found @Malt_Jones.

--
"I can resist everything except temptation"
0 link
Quil
Quil

2/20/2012
Perhaps we need a thread to list people available for interview?

I am doing Nemesis, and am always happy to give my views... @HelenKeeble

--
Quil, a midnight, sinister, inescapable and sagacious gentleman.
Twitter: @HelenKeeble
Always available for a rousing game of Pass the Cat!
0 link
Patrick Reding
Patrick Reding

2/21/2012
Would that I could interview you all, but I play through Facebook and refuse to create a Twitter account. Yana would be happy, though, to give interviews regarding their Heart's Desire at facebook.com/Sikyanakotik

--
http://echobazaar.failbettergames.com/Profile/Yana
0 link
Maurna Frost
Maurna Frost

2/21/2012
I am also on Nemesis and quite willing to give interviews. But I think I shall create a new thread for posting interviewees and interviewers just to keep things clean; hopefully that will get tacked (stickied) up on the various Londoner cork boards for interested parties.

~MF
A Lady that loves to chat

--
~MF

I greatly enjoy meeting delicious new friends and participating in deliciously exciting new adventures! Please feel free to drop a card to meet for dinner, exchange favors, give an interview, or any other activity that comes to mind. I DO particpate in exchanges requiring Fate, BUT you must contact me first; twitter, facebook, or here on the forums via PM.

Note: I am currently exchanging parcels with a large number of dear friends and my parcel opportunities are rare. I am always willing to exchange but your rate of return may be rather slow. To find others to exchange with I recommend the Starveling list.
0 link
JohnPurple
JohnPurple

2/21/2012
And of course, I will be delighted to answer any questions regarding a certain Game of Cards. You can always found me at my lodgings.
... What?
... Oh! apologies, I totally forgot to give me the adress:

https://twitter.com/#!/GaelViolet
Don't hesitate to knock hard on the door, I always may be in the basements.

--
http://echobazaar.failbettergames.com/Profile/John~Purple
"From which, remarkably enough, nothing develops"
0 link
Howard John Abrahall
Howard John Abrahall

2/24/2012
Got it finally.

Indeed, the cards are available wherever, so you can at least get on with other things - otherwise the frequency would be unbearable.
If it's entirely RNG driven, then perhaps I was very unlucky.

And a thread for interviews sounds like a Marvellous idea, (pun intended).

I can understand why there is such infrequency now, as it does [spoilers]award an accomplishment, if you manage to successfully complete a '104 copies' option. Making it one of the faster accomplishments to get. At least once you're all set up in Doubt St.[/spoilers]
edited by Kravan on 2/24/2012

--
-----------------------------------------------------

MY PROFILE: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Howard~John~Abrahall

- A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

- Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

- Oscar Wilde
0 link
Katherine Cunningham
Katherine Cunningham

8/21/2012
I have no idea if anyone might still need this, but I have been working to make my Meritorious newspaper, and I made a list of the best way I have found to do so, I thought I would share it:

The Editor’s Privilege: The Voice Of The Streets (8 Meritorious)
Send Out The Reporters: Covering the Bishop and Candles (12 Meritorious)
Fresh Copy: A Story About Devils in the Forgotten Quarter (12 Meritorious)
The Editorial Voice: Interview the Manager of the Royal Bethlehem (12 Outlandish)
The Meeting Room: A Disgruntled Naval Officer (12 Meritorious)
Wading Through The Slush Pile: Something Worthy About A Philanthropic Endeavour (12 Meritorious)
Photographs & Letters: Letters from Downside (12 Outlandish)
The Centre Page Spread: An Expose on the Dangers of Absinthe (12 Meritorious)
Filling In Before The Sports Pages: An Alarming Lack of Leadership from Parliament (12 Meritorious)
Deadline Approaching: Spirit Photography (12 Outlandish)
The Temptations of Power: Honest No Matter What (3 Meritorious, 3 Outlandish) or Dishonest Outrage (12 Meritorious)
Start The Presses: An Edition of Edification and Pleasing Truth (requires 60 Meritorious) or An Edition Brimming with Truth and Wisdom (requires 104 Meritorious)

Opportunity Cards:
The Food You Eat: A Matter Of Public Health (6 Meritorious)
A Canceled Salon: A City Washed In Tears (6 Meritorious)
Your Day On Court Duty: Quite Jolly for a Court (6 Meritorious)
Reports of Your Circulation Have Been Greatly Exaggerated: The Best Form of Defense (6 Meritorious)

From what I found the Opportunity Cards will show up anywhere, but they say Unlocked with 10 Hours Before Deadline. I have yet to determine whether that mean you have to be 10-12, 10-1, or exactly 10.
edited by Katbeth86 on 8/21/2012
0 link
Abraham Bounty
Abraham Bounty

8/21/2012
Katherine Cunningham wrote:
From what I found the Opportunity Cards will show up anywhere, but they say Unlocked with 10 Hours Before Deadline. I have yet to determine whether that mean you have to be 10-12, 10-1, or exactly 10.
edited by Katbeth86 on 8/21/2012

This means that the card is unlocked/added to your deck when you have ten or more Hours Before Deadline, which since you start with twelve means that it is available immediately until you have nine or less If it is only available during a certain range, then the card will say something along the lines of Unlocked with X, but not more than Y, Hours Before Deadline.

--
News in the Neath: Noted citizen of Fallen London, Abraham Bounty, has acquired six hundred and sixty six souls. Additionally rumour has it that the lion's share of those souls was from a theft of The Brass Embasy itself. We are quite certain that this portents nothing ominous for him. Well, nothing unusually ominous anyway.
0 link
Tesuji
Tesuji

8/21/2012
Abraham Bounty wrote:
This means that the card is unlocked/added to your deck when you have ten or more Hours Before Deadline, which since you start with twelve means that it is available immediately until you have nine or less If it is only available during a certain range, then the card will say something along the lines of Unlocked with X, but not more than Y, Hours Before Deadline.

To be pedantic, it will only say that if you're not within the correct range. The 'Your Day on Court Duty' card, for example, will just say 'Unlocked with 4 Hours Before Deadline' so long as you're between Hours 4 and 6, only adding the "but not more than 6" if you have more.

The range for the four Meritorious cards are:
- The Food You Eat (Hours 10-?)
- A Cancelled Salon (Hours 7-9)
- Your Day on Court Duty (Hours 4-6)
- Reports of your Circulation have been Greatly Exagerrated [sic] (Hours 2-3)

I haven't tested the first level, so it might be 10, 10-11 or 10-12, though I would presume the last. The social opportunity cards will show up during Hours 2+.

--
Tesuji.
0 link
Dave
Dave

8/21/2012
Tesuji wrote:
Abraham Bounty wrote:

To be pedantic, it will only say that if you're not within the correct range. The 'Your Day on Court Duty' card, for example, will just say 'Unlocked with 4 Hours Before Deadline' so long as you're between Hours 4 and 6, only adding the "but not more than 6" if you have more.

The range for the four Meritorious cards are:
- The Food You Eat (Hours 10-?)
- A Cancelled Salon (Hours 7-9)
- Your Day on Court Duty (Hours 4-6)
- Reports of your Circulation have been Greatly Exagerrated [sic] (Hours 2-3)

I haven't tested the first level, so it might be 10, 10-11 or 10-12, though I would presume the last. The social opportunity cards will show up during Hours 2+.

As one of the more prolific print shops of FL, I can state that cards do in fact show up at hours before the deadline 12. Generally, I set the print machine in working order before leaving Doubt Street every time, and accumulate enough of the appropriate cards/copy before returning to finishing an edition - after which, I again make sure to leave the machine in working order when I leave again to ensure a steady supply of those all-too-rare cards.

--
The Dave, a terrifying, lethal, inescapable and sagacious gentleman
0 link
maleclypse
maleclypse

4/21/2016
Is there a guide anywhere to getting all three types of newspaper? I'm not finding one by the search feature or google. Thanks!

--
Maintaining a controlling interest in my soul requires a pretty constant negotiation between the various shareholder interests. Thankfully the Fingerkings 23% control makes a pretty good foil to unite the other factions enough to get to 51%.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Maleclypse
0 link
Kaigen
Kaigen

4/21/2016
This page has a breakdown of which actions give which copy: http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Category%3AHours_before_the_Deadline

--
Just a simple doctor with a chess habit. Publisher of The Flit Dispatch.

"One must remember that the impossible is, alas, always possible."
-Jacques Derrida
0 link