Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

November ES: The Crocodile Who Would Be King Messages in this topic - RSS

James StAnthony
James StAnthony
Administrator

10/28/2021
Exceptional Story for November: The Crocodile Who Would Be King

An alligator in the sewers? Nonsense! It's clearly a crocodile, and Mr Inch is offering a bounty to anyone who can capture it: dead or alive. Embark upon a hunt beneath the city streets, confront what's really lurking in the waterways, and try not to lose any body parts you've become overly accustomed to.

Writing: Chandler Groover
Editing & QA: James Chew
Art: Paul Arendt

EXCEPTIONAL FRIENDSHIP

In addition to a new, substantial, stand-alone story every month, Exceptional Friends enjoy:

• Access to the House of Chimes: an exclusive private member's club on the Stolen River, packed with content
  • Access to Mr Chimes' Lost & Found, a shop in the Bazaar where you can exchange currency earned through playing Exceptional Stories for exclusive companions and items
  • An expanded opportunity deck: of ten cards instead of six!
  • A second candle: Twice the actions! 40 at once!

You no longer need to log in to claim your Exceptional Stories! If you have an active subscription when one is available, you'll receive it automatically.
+3 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

11/20/2021
There are some ties to deeper lore mysteries in this story, although they didn't seem to be the main focus. I'd like to pull on those threads a little.

The Crocodile was trying to become a King. That's something we've seen before, just a little bit. The ES Go Tell the King of Cats shows a Parabolan King that was created by making a deal with a Fingerking. And we see two other possibilities for what a Parabolan King might be when the Dome of Scales is under the sway of the Cats and Fingerkings, with the latter also letting the Ophidian Gentleman provide some elaboration. I'm not clear if this relates to kings on the Chessboard

This seems to be more significant than just "fingerking gets powerful." They do somehow seem to become entangled with the Parabolan faction that they represent. So... does this make Crocodiles a faction in Parabola like the Cats? Did they used to be a faction back in the Second City, and then stopped because there are no Crocodiles in the Third City?

There's clearly a lot of connection here with the Second City. And our involvement with the ritual reminds me of the myth of Osiris, who was tricked into a coffin, murdered, dismembered into dozens of pieces, and spread across the countryside, before his body and divine authority were reconstituted. This makes me wonder to what extent we are completing an event or continuing a cycle of events that were first put into motion by the Pharaoh's daughters.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/PSGarak
+5 link
BillyCosmos!
BillyCosmos!

11/15/2021
Am I the only one who suspects this whole story came about as an excuse to use the word “tintinnabulation”?

(A thing of which I would approve)
edited by BillyCosmos! on 11/15/2021

--
Overjoyed to finally have a decent secretary to take dictation. Even if it is a somewhat more mushroomy sort of secretary than one might be used to.

Dictated, thuroughly read.
William, "Billy" Cosmos, the !
+2 link
Lady Karnstein
Lady Karnstein

11/11/2021
I had a lot of fun with it. Caroline found herself in one unexpected situation after another. It was pretty fun.

I am really glad that the sewers did not require actions. That was a good choice. It also used a lot of excellent past stories. I hate that having a certain companion did not prove relevant when she appeared in the story. Something cool from that would have been nice as I do rather like the character.

--
Lady Caroline Karnstein, The Moral Hedonist (Description)
Infamous writer, artist, and courtesan. Unrepentant Invert. Hesperidean.
Paramount Presence, Correspondent, Nocturnal. Poet Laureate of the Neath, Ambassador to Arbor
+2 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

11/11/2021
Normally Exceptional Stories reward an item worth 62.5 echoes, like a Night-Whisper or something. The main material reward I received at the end of this story was 62.5 echoes of Rostygold. So yes, it's a bit unusual but it seems the Rostygold bounty was the main reward.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/PSGarak
+1 link
El Mar
El Mar

10/28/2021
Still a pity that EFs don't get to see the ES-teaserstory.

Lizard 1 vs. cat meaoow...

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/El%20Mar
+1 link
Meradine Heidenreich
Meradine Heidenreich

11/23/2021
The echoes of the story of Isis and Osiris were very strong and felt very moving. It is also worth noting the mention of feathers, which ties in with the feathered serpent of Mesoamerica. And the final lines
[spoiler]O my heart of my different forms!
Do not be hostile to me in the presence of the Keeper of the Balance.
Go forth to the happy place whereto we speed.[/spoiler]
are quoted from the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Spell 030.
A random insight: it was actually possible to remember the route through the sewers.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Meradine%20Heidenreich

The Starveling kit
Gobbled up the bit
of cheese on my tray ..
"O Weh!"
+1 link