Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

The Rat Market Messages in this topic - RSS

Mr J
Mr J

9/24/2021
The Rat Market has opened in the Flit!

What is it, you may ask?
At the Rat Market, you will be able to sell certain items and exchange them for rat-shillings, which can then be traded for other items – including certain rare economy items, as well as equippables. Some of the equippable items sold at the Rat Market are existing ones, though they are cheaper or easier to obtain than they were before. Some equippable items are entirely new.

The Rat Market changes week to week and season to season. What the ratty vendors are buying, and what they are selling, will vary over time. The market itself is also only available some of the time.

Find out all about the ratty goodness in this FL blog post!
https://www.failbettergames.com/the-rat-market-is-open-for-business/#comment-182679

And let's discuss everything about it here!

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Mr%20J
0 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

2 days ago
Tsar Koschei wrote:
So I haven't really checked out how the rotations of buying and selling coincide, but there's one thing I'd quite like to confirm: will there at some point be a weekend where the market will buy ivory organza and sell fabulous diamonds concurrently?

The items you can sell (Rat-Season) is cyclical. It's been mysterious up til know while we were still mapping out the Seasons, but as of this weekend the whole schedule will be fully known. Two weeks from now, when the Venge-Waders get replaced by the Winter item, Cartographer's Hoards will cycle back in.

Which items you can buy (Rat-Wind & Rat-Moon) is decided by the supreme antagonist of Fallen London, the RNG. All of your plans and machinations are but flour for its bakery of suffering, producing the finest pastries glazed with our collective tears.

The next time that Ivory Organza comes into the market (Feb 4th, if I can count right?), there will be three weeks each with a 1/16 chance that Diamonds are on sale. The odds for the three weeks are not completely independent, as the Rat-Wind and Rat-Moon are both guaranteed not to repeat week-over-week. On average it will take 64 weeks to see that particular combination of qualities, but there's no guarantee it will actually happen, ever.

I assume you're asking for Scrip-related reasons? Less than half of the Wind/Moon combinations have been observed yet. I wouldn't be surprised if there's another Scrip-convertible good lurking there somewhere.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/PSGarak
+6 link
Aronia
Aronia

9/24/2021
The most interesting thing for me right now is what the Rat Market looks like. Especially in terms of size. Can I walk there freely? Should I watch my step to avoid stepping on some rat or another? Do I have to crawl? Or maybe lie down, like the Lost Girl near her door under the glass table?
edited by Aronia on 9/24/2021

--
Lucy actually has a nice heart. Well, sometimes.
+3 link
Snort
Snort

9/24/2021
Tozh Taurog wrote:
It is also interesting if Sympathy to Ratty Concerns means anything here. And if no - why?
edited by Tozh Taurog on 9/24/2021

Apparently not. Bunch of ingrates, if you ask me.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Snort
+3 link
Tozh Taurog
Tozh Taurog

9/24/2021
It is also interesting if Sympathy to Ratty Concerns means anything here. And if no - why?
edited by Tozh Taurog on 9/24/2021

--
A Correspondent. Thrilled to advance science by educating the younger generation at your Orphanage. A Marvellous player. Willing to talk about it to the press. An amateur horticulturist.
Usually up for socializing, especially with text.

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/TozhTaurog
+2 link
Captain Blood Storm
Captain Blood Storm

9/24/2021
Well, that was a mildly amusing way to put the 5 Captivating Ballads I've been jealously hoarding for a while now to good use. Not truly profitable, but right now everything that goes towards the Hellworm grind can only be a good thing.

My first and most urgent feedback is that it would be really nice if we got a separate currency counter for rat-shillings the way we have one for echoes and scrip. As funny as it was to imagine an army of rats dogpiling my character as he flailed around on the floor in confusion for the high crime of not being able to tell how many rat-shilling he still had, it would probably be more convenient for everyone if there was a way to tell how many you had remaining after a certain threshold other than buying things with trial and error in the mini-Bazaar.

Edit: Oh, and my much more urgent advice for fellow players looking to buy a Location of a One-Time Prince of Hell of Hell is as follows: Do NOT buy any rat-shillings until you have taken a good, long look at what the prices for everything are. Remember, the rats will not let you go until you've spent every rat-shilling they've given you.
edited by Captain Blood Storm on 9/24/2021

--
Captain Blood Storm, the Discordant and Twice-Dawnburnt Vake Rider https://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/Hattington
+2 link
KenShi
KenShi

9/24/2021
The morning Gazette is a lovely addition.

It would be interesting if the newspaper honchos of the Neath could wage media war, dispatching journalists and sales teams just like the Grand Clearing-out.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/KenShi%20Stormrider
+2 link
Waterpls
Waterpls

9/24/2021
Hmm four BiS items (one per season). Interesting.

--
Long grinds: Saddle 26/200; Hellworm Done; Narcissistic Statues 9/9; Heptagoat Done; Cider Done
+2 link
Tsar Koschei
Tsar Koschei

9/26/2021
Yes, the need for a proper currency display is pretty dire. It particularly comes into play when you've made all your main purchases and just want to get rid of your very last shillings via the bazaar tab.

But yeah, when the market opened I just dropped a cartographer's hoard and a few ballads, unlawful devices and fourth city echoes and snatched up those new kataleptic tox boots. Other than that I don't see much to get excited over in the trades currently being offered.

NotaWalrus wrote:
The exchange rate of rat-shillings is curious. The cartographer Hoard is the worst deal at 7.8 pence/shilling (p/s). The unlawful device is the best at 5 p/s, the captivating ballad is 7.1 p/s and the fourth city echo has no nominal value but I'm guessing it's supposed to be 12.5E and so it's 5 p/s too.
I think it's a safe assumption that the pricier items cash in at a worse exchange rate simply to offset the actions saved compared to repeatedly selling cheaper ones.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Tsar%20Koschei

Sanguine Ribbon Society tournament champion.

No plant battles, loitering, coffee at Caligula's or Affluent Photographer, please.
+2 link
Lady Karnstein
Lady Karnstein

1 days ago
PSGarak wrote:
Which items you can buy (Rat-Wind & Rat-Moon) is decided by the supreme antagonist of Fallen London, the RNG. All of your plans and machinations are but flour for its bakery of suffering, producing the finest pastries glazed with our collective tears..

I just feel you should be told this is absolutely awesome.

--
Lady Caroline Karnstein, The Moral Hedonist (Description)
Infamous writer, artist, and courtesan. Unrepentant Invert. Hesperidean.
Paramount Presence, Correspondent, Nocturnal. Poet Laureate of the Neath, Ambassador to Arbor
+2 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

10/15/2021
PSGarak wrote:
I would guess it refers either to Night-Whispers or [...]
Time to cash in the 600+ ones that I have. Well, part of them, but good anyway!
I need that Cider!

--
ESs items and quality requirements sheet. Please check if there are errors or if something is missing
Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
+2 link
Perlino the Thief
Perlino the Thief

13 days ago
Think we'll ever be able to hire rats in the Rat Market like you can at Redemptions in the Bazaar? But not just the Scuttering Squad. They have their own market, so buying them in Nassos' Zoologicals, a pet store of sorts, just feels wrong now for murine-liberation reasons. (And maybe we'd see a new whiskered face or two, that would be fun.)

(Sorry if this came up already. I didn't read all 8 pages of the thread).

--
"The Clay Men say 'THEY PAID ME IN COIN THAT PLOTTED MY DOWNFALL.' Little do they know, all coin does that."
-Azora Perlino, Ginger-Haired Gypsy and Rooftop Sybarite
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Azora%20Perlino
+2 link
elderfleur
elderfleur

10/9/2021
New grind, fresh from the oven! 4.94 EPA (or 47.67 Rat Shilling per Act plus some bric-a-brac).

requirements: Jericho Station; Newspaper; Modified Stats at 214+; Not Unwelcome At the University; An Endowment; a Rat Market which purchases Incunabula for 250 Shillings. Note: I'll be using fractions but rounding down to avoid needless precision, which will leave a little "extra" behind at some steps. This makes my calculated loop slightly less efficient than the actual long-term efficiency.

The Outlandish Newspaper Loop: no inputs, 5.5 acts to acquire your Whirring Contraption, 13 acts to make a 104 Outlandish newspaper for 118 Journals of Infamy and 4 Extraordinary Implications. (+18.5 Acts)

Every Newspaper provides enough for 2.36 Journal->Implication Conversions, yielding 23.6 Extra Implications (+2.36 Acts)

27.6 total Implications gives us 1.1 Implication->Incunabulum Conversions, yielding 5.5 Incunabula. (+1.1 Acts)

The above conversions costs us 33.8 Benthic Reputation, recovered with 7 Abominable Salts bought from the Bazaar (-1.4 Echoes) and 1.38 Acts. However, 60% successes on Journal conversion yields 1 Echo, or 25 Echoes on a rare; and for Implication conversions we get 2 Echoes, or 62.5 Echoes on a rare. Even a 0% chance of rares is enough to buy the salts back, statistically (2.716 Echoes per loop, leaving us 1.316 extra.) With a conservative (?) 5%, we net 5.03 Echoes after Salts.

We sell our 5.5 Incunabula one at a time for 1375 Rat Shillings. (+5.5 acts)

Final total: 28.84 Acts, +1375 Rat Shillings, +0.1 Extraordinary Implications, +0.1 Abominable Salts, +0.7 Benthic Reputation, and ~5.03 Echoes worth of Glim/Brass/Nodules/Threnodies if we're lucky.

Edit: Forgot that University Reputation takes 3 actions, but also forgot to include Upconversion bonus items, so it sort of cancels out.
edited by elderfleur on 10/10/2021

--
—Elderfleur
+2 link
elderfleur
elderfleur

10/22/2021
Waterpls wrote:
Just trolling I guess.
I mean, even if it seemed obvious that Sounders was the new item I probably wouldn't have gone out to the Khanate to grind them. Efficient or not, I don't want to be out there that long, and if I was out there I'd rather do something else!

--
—Elderfleur
+2 link
Captain Blood Storm
Captain Blood Storm

10/22/2021
elderfleur wrote:
Waterpls wrote:
Just trolling I guess.
I mean, even if it seemed obvious that Sounders was the new item I probably wouldn't have gone out to the Khanate to grind them. Efficient or not, I don't want to be out there that long, and if I was out there I'd rather do something else!

Agreed. More power to others if they get something out of this week’s Rat Market, but personally I’ll be sitting this one out.

--
Captain Blood Storm, the Discordant and Twice-Dawnburnt Vake Rider https://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/Hattington
+1 link
elderfleur
elderfleur

10/22/2021
fishandchips wrote:
And for no reason, Fourth City Echoes get nerfed again. 200 to 160.
Well not no reason; the Rat Market was ridiculously lucrative and now it's still reasonably lucrative. Before we could get 5+ EPA with negligible effort, and we can still get about 4.3 last I checked.
By the way, when does autumn end? I need to get the Venge-Rat Waders soon, preferably when Captivating Ballads can again be used to trade for it.
December 3rd is the first weekend of Rat Winter, but Ballads won't be saleable until... December 17th, if our public data is all in order, so you'll need to find something else, unfortunately.

--
—Elderfleur
+1 link
Waterpls
Waterpls

10/24/2021
Tozh Taurog wrote:
Could it be that all this nerfing isn't random, but part of a system?

As a new item for rat-season/moon/?? shows up, it's most expensive. Next week it goes down. Fourth-city echoes don't have a rotation, so might not fit this theory, but didn't they go down every 2 weeks? I'm not sure, haven't kept track.
No it's not. Nerfs are not random also. They are tuning the system.
BTW Fourth City Echoes might become less valuable next weekend, but cost no action to turn in.

--
Long grinds: Saddle 26/200; Hellworm Done; Narcissistic Statues 9/9; Heptagoat Done; Cider Done
+1 link
fishandchips
fishandchips

27 days ago
Nathalia wrote:
Can I ask if the 'Forgotten Slippers' at the Rat Market are exactly the same as the 'Forgotten Spidersilk Slippers' available from the Nadir? My main has to have one of everything, but obviously doesn't need two. Or four, in the case of slippers. Cheers!

I believe the slippers from the market is the Hushed pair.
The Forgotten pair is the upgraded version at the Nadir, using the Hushed pair as a base ingredient.

https://fallenlondon.wiki/wiki/Pair_of_Hushed_Spidersilk_Slippers
https://fallenlondon.wiki/wiki/Speak_to_the_Masked_Man

--
Add me, delicious ones

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Fishandchips
+1 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

10/10/2021
Waterpls wrote:
Hmm, now i know what to do with my 16k journals and 750 implications.
You sure kept your grinding speed over the years! Congratulations on it!

--
ESs items and quality requirements sheet. Please check if there are errors or if something is missing
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
+1 link
Waterpls
Waterpls

10/10/2021
Skinnyman wrote:
Waterpls wrote:
Hmm, now i know what to do with my 16k journals and 750 implications.
You sure kept your grinding speed over the years! Congratulations on it!
Thanks, I am still enjoying the game a lot. And one modern year is like 3-4 old years in terms of EpA.

--
+1 link
PJ
PJ

10/12/2021
Waterpls wrote:
500 rostygold and 2 actions, -6 CP Suspicion, -6 CP Scandal.

One action. Sending the letter after its written is free. 🙂

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Peter%20James
+1 link
Emma DeLeskie
Emma DeLeskie

10/15/2021
So...the rat cane seems to be a curiosity rather than a weapon, a mistake certainly but I suppose it is sort of a curiosity
+1 link
Waterpls
Waterpls

10/22/2021
Just trolling I guess.

--
+1 link
PJ
PJ

9/27/2021
I find this "pence per shilling" talk confusing. Shillings have a value of 10 pence, per the blog post and per the most efficient shilling-liquidation option (the 1-shilling items on the Bazaar tab).

Turning in Captivating Ballads gets you 87e worth of shillings, 24.5 echoes of profit. If you had a grind that produces them, add one more action and 24.5 echoes more profit to calculate that grind's new EPA.

Purchasing Tales of Terror? You're just taking a 20p loss in exchange for the convenience of not having to grind them the normal way, whatever the "normal way" would have been.

I find the whole thing much much easier to think about if you mentally convert shillings to pennies right at the start, before even trying to do any further calculations.

--
+1 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

9/27/2021
The Market's closed for the first week, and the Gazette is telling is what winds and moons will be there next week! This is somewhat less useful right now since we don't know what a East Wind or Hard-Boiled Moon will actually bring. But can at least tell that Ballads and Devices can still bring in Shillings, while Hoards cannot.

I have a bunch of Waswood flasks I'll be converting into stolen poems this week.

--
+1 link
KenShi
KenShi

9/28/2021
Hopefully the Rat Market would have some sort of connection with L. B. Industries, that at least one reward from the factory could be spent.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/KenShi%20Stormrider
+1 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

9/29/2021
Kylestien wrote:
If you are unsure what to grind in a given week for Rat Market, 4th city echoes from LB is always a option, though do note it was recently nerfed from 250 shillings per to 200. So it's worse then other options, but you sacrifice the extra shillings for consistancy.
Oh, this already happened, thanks for mentioning!

--
+1 link
Emma DeLeskie
Emma DeLeskie

10/1/2021
fishandchips wrote:
Toran wrote:
Waterpls wrote:
The Starstone Demark!

In the sense that it's available for purchase from or sale to the rats?

It can be purchased.

Also can be purchased is the Eyeless Skull... not sure why anyone wants to buy that. Just do some digging in the Forgotten Quarter, you'll find one or more eventually.

Five of them can be used to craft the ray-drenched cinder, which is useful both for opening up the nadir and for getting a pretty useful piece of equipment if you are seeking your heart's desire, it seems much more convenient to me to buy them here than to rely on luck in the forgotten quarter
+1 link
DuskWanderer
DuskWanderer

10/2/2021
It'll be interesting if this is the way we get a box of Apocyan light
+1 link
NotaWalrus
NotaWalrus

10/3/2021
Captain Blood Storm wrote:

Wait, the Rat Market is actually more profitable than selling things direct from the Parabolan War? 15% is quite a lot for a Cider grind.

To be clear that's 15% of what's left. It was "only" 1600 Echoes out of 10000 I have remaining.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/NotaWalrus
Ignacious, the Fluid Professor, he will accept most social invitations, including boxed cats and affluent photographers (but only betrayals), though he is absent-minded and might take more time than entirely necessary. He apologizes.
+1 link
PJ
PJ

10/3/2021
I believe they were just tweaking the numbers when they adjusted the prices this week, and the items at that level will remain at the same price once they figure out what the right price is.

I think the ballads are here next week, but not the week after

--
+1 link
elderfleur
elderfleur

10/7/2021
Bluestocking wrote:
Just, why?
It's a puzzle and puzzles are fun! This game's inevitably a chimeric mix of story and collecting, and inevitably one finds oneself up to date on almost every story, and a few weeks away from the new Festival or content batch, and luckily the game has some idle collecting to keep one's attention. And, inevitably, one gets to a project that will take days or weeks or even years, and some quick calculations to shave off literal days (or months!) can become worth it. Day to day I'll waste plenty of actions reminding myself of certain stories or just playing Cards I like, but if I'm out of Cards and have 34 actions left to burn, I may as well collect 20-80% more stuff than I otherwise might. But this is all secondary to the first point: coming up with schemes is fun!

--
—Elderfleur
+1 link
amalgamate
amalgamate

10/7/2021
Bluestocking wrote:
The loutside, LOL! Love it. That's me, then.

I'm actually quite a bit puzzled by those people who calculate the whole thing out. To me, it's a game, and I'm enjoying the roleplay and story and generally doing what seems best in a common sense way to make money within character. Sure, I make the odd mistake and use the odd spoiler, but it's not a job, it's fun. (And I have worked a lot with numbers, statistical programming etc so I could do it if I wanted. Just, why?)

It's something to do after all the stories are done.

At this point I've played every single exceptional story, I'm up to date on all the content, collected basically everything - except for the super-expensive vanity items. ...and if I'm collecting those, might as well do it efficiently, right?

--
http://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/amalgamate

Social invitations of all kinds welcome! Deadly sparring, plant battles, etc.

Send me an in-game connection request if you need a discordant missive or a point of notability, or if there's some letters you want to trade.
+1 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

10/8/2021
Huey wrote:
I just managed to get the Waders and all the Boots I'll need for a certain hunt in one fell swoop, I feel incredibly satisfied Big Grin

For future reference: is there a way to turn a significant profit selling items here? Being Goat-less and about to take down a pretty big quarry, an opportunity to get extra cash is never amiss.

Congratulations on the boots!

Profiting is definitely possible. tl;dr you increase your net worth when you gain Rat-Shillings, and with care you can avoid losing net worth when you use those Rat-Shillings.

Rat-shillings are valued at 10 pence each (and convert to that amount of Rostygold when the rat market turns back into a pumpkin at midnight). All of the items that you can sell to the Rat-Market give you more rat-shillings than the equivalent Bazaar price. E.g. a Parabolan Parable can sell to the Bazaar for 312 echoes, or at the Rat Market for 400 echoes of shillings.

Some uses of Rat-Shillings lose you a bit of money, and some do not. In the "Shop" tab, basically everything you can buy for 1 shilling each sells to the Bazaar for 10 pence. And letting it time out and convert to Rostygold will also earn you 10 pence per shilling. Larger items tend to lose you a bit, e.g. Correspondence Plaques can be bought for 8 shillings but only sell to the Bazaar for 50 pence (you're better off buying Maniac's Prayers and upconverting).

If you have spare items, liquidating them is generally a net-gain-money proposition. Gaining items from scratch, of course, depends on how efficiently you can do that. But the Parabolan Warfare is a good grind, so Parabolan Parables is pretty attractive.

--
+1 link
Waterpls
Waterpls

10/9/2021
Parabola War is designed for 200+ base stats. I would not recommend diving into it with underleveled character. On topic of sides, play all campaigns at least once for lore, stick to your favorites after that, if your are not tired yet. For me Parawar is too tedious, boring and inconvenient, even if it's top grind right now.
edited by Waterpls on 10/9/2021

--
+1 link
The Dark Gentleman
The Dark Gentleman

9/24/2021
I am now in possession of a teeny tiny revolver that can apparently blow a hole through a train car. I can only assume the ratly gunsmiths are employing nuclear fusion to power such itty-bitty bullets with that amount of force.

--
The Dark Gentleman~ Social actions welcome. Menace reductions upon request. Newspaper interviews by appointment. Falconry by invitation only.
+1 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

9/24/2021
You're probably better off grinding 4th City Echoes from LB Industries. Expeditions have a lot of fixed overhead, and you only get 1 device per expedition regardless of length.

The economics of selling items for shillings are odd, I'm not sure what's the right way to look at it. On the one hand, Devices or Khaganian Echoes get double-your-value while Hoards only get you a 28% bonus. Or a different way of looking at it, the action to sell a Device/Echo is worth a bonus 12 echoes, while the action to sell a hoard gives a bonus 85 echoes. Hard to tell what's better unless you map out a full cycle of obtaining something.

--
+1 link
Mr J
Mr J

9/24/2021
I just hope we can get an affiliation for being an honorary rat. I'm already an honorary cat. Do they mix?

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Mr%20J
+1 link