Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

Announcing Mr Chimes’ Grand Clearing-Out Messages in this topic - RSS

StuartFBG
StuartFBG
Administrator

7/12/2021
UPDATE: The Grand Clearing-Out has begun! Begin exploring the event anywhere in London.

THE BENENIMOUS MASTER OF THE BAZAAR, Mr. CHIMES, graciously invites YOU to take part in a CELEBRATION of SUBTERRANEAN PURSUITS – the GRAND CLEARING-OUT!

Mr Chimes’ Grand Clearing-Out is a new, one-off festival in Fallen London. It is the weirdest, most experimental festival we have ever done, and it begins on July 20th.

Read more on our blog: https://www.failbettergames.com/announcing-mr-chimes-grand-clearing-out/

edited by StuartFBG on 7/12/2021
edited by StuartFBG on 7/20/2021
+8 link
elderfleur
elderfleur

7/25/2021
Μαρσ wrote:
How do you, my fellow Londoners, picture it in your head?
The diggers have unionized and will not dig any more, not one last bit of dirt, until they've been paid in food, and paid in full. Deep underground, deep under the other underground, far from the Masters and surrounded by hungry workers, is no place to cross the picket lines.

Updated graph beneath the spoiler; it does look as if some Diggers and Suppliers from other holes were temporarily overcome with Moloch Madness:

[spoiler][/spoiler]
silurica wrote:
I love your charts. Please keep them coming!
Thank you! I've been fairly absent from Fallen London this past year, but this dig has got me engaged and creative; it's a neat Festival! I'm trying not to clutter the thread too much, but I trust that I'm not the only one helped by (or who just enjoys) a visual representation of a bunch of six-digit numbers.

--
—Elderfleur
+9 link
Tsar Koschei
Tsar Koschei

7/29/2021
Even with its various foibles and missteps, I think we can pretty much all agree that this event was a lot of fun and a big success.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Tsar%20Koschei

Sanguine Ribbon Society tournament champion.

No plant battles, loitering, coffee at Caligula's or Affluent Photographer, please.
+7 link
Captain Blood Storm
Captain Blood Storm

7/25/2021
Μαρσ wrote:
hmmm, I'm a tiny bit disappointed there is no in-game acknowledgement of our current situation, although that does leave some room for some fun headcanon. How do you, my fellow Londoners, picture it in your head? Are we having a celebratory banquet with the dig crew before ceremonially busting trough the last floor? Is Mr Chimes sitting us down, berating us for digging without eating our fill, like an odd overbearing mother figure? Or did our minds betray us in those tunnels, and did the digging and fueling actually never get out of sync?

I for one am assuming I am holding down a screaming ex-Railway worker in the deep, dark tunnels as I forcefeed him biscuit after biscuit-my very being consumed by the eternal cycle of grinding and feeding. As I let out a wordless howl of incoherent rage born out of two consecutive grindfests powered by determination, fury and the humiliation of begging Mrs. Plenty for her most disgusting swill, my pitiless sharklike gaze lets this man know one thing: He is not leaving this bloody tunnel until his liver has the same texture as foie gras.

Once he expires, I will tear free his head and claim I found the body near the Lost Wall. The echoes I "spent on Brass Skulls" actually go towards plating the severed head in brass, screwing it back onto his corpse, and paying off everyone I need to maintain plausible deniability before I stalk another ex-Railway worker to enact my terrible revenge.

--
Captain Blood Storm, the Discordant and Twice-Dawnburnt Vake Rider https://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/Hattington
+6 link
amalgamate
amalgamate

8/8/2021
Yeah, if we'd just voted for someone else, London would have experienced no catastrophes at all, everyone would frolic happily in the sunshine and there'd be no new plot threads or anything.

--
http://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/amalgamate

Social invitations of all kinds welcome! Deadly sparring, plant battles, etc.

Send me an in-game connection request if you need a discordant missive or a point of notability, or if there's some letters you want to trade.
+6 link
Toran
Toran

8/4/2021
Hi! London People! Welcome Back Hannah! You overdid yerselves. This is great. I love it. I don't care if my hair burns off.

Thank you. This is a legitimately special and interesting thing you collectively did. I appreciate it.

--
I have a Hepta-Goat. Do you have a Hepta-Goat?
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Anthony%20Toran
+5 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

8/3/2021
Sinning Jenny wrote:
"It shows just what the powerful can do if they think a problem is worth solving. And thus, by extension, how responsible they are for the suffering they allow to go on."

Damn, Jenny. Good point there.

--
Sir Frederick, the Emancipationist Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
+5 link
elderfleur
elderfleur

7/24/2021
I very much like the apparent loyalty of most Londoners to their particular hole; each has different rates of progression, but none are dropping off calamitously as the dig goes on:

elderfleur wrote:
I'll double check the code later, but [...]
The "off-by-one" error that sounded incorrect was, in fact, incorrect, and has been fixed. Intuition is correct and 7 is indeed the most likely number of Fuelling Turn-Ins to finish a "lap", although preparing for 8 Turn-Ins protects you against 80+% of cases (graph below the cut, for the curious): [spoiler]
(shout out to the 2 miserable cases in 36,000 laps which took 16 turn-ins to reach level 20) [/spoiler]

edited by elderfleur on 7/24/2021

--
—Elderfleur
+5 link
elderfleur
elderfleur

7/21/2021
Tsar Koschei wrote:
Less value per bone, but the payout is all biscuits
Slightly off-topic, but out of context this sounds delightfully like an in-fiction expression. One Urchin explaining a score to another, perhaps.

--
—Elderfleur
+5 link
Aro Saren
Aro Saren

7/29/2021
The gloves are the same for all participants, the special reward for preservers is sample/vestige.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Andre%20Alexin
Will accept only something interesting.
+5 link
elderfleur
elderfleur

7/28/2021
I feel that this new "supercharge food" mode was a terrible decision. I think if we had to wait longer to open up other locations they'd each feel more interesting. There's a lot of neat story and variation, but when they're openning up within a day of each other we're racing to see what they do instead of what they are, and then, as DuskWanderer put it, they're just "different ways to make things". At the pre-Cart rate we were scheduled to finish Moloch about 12 hours slower, and then the University 2-3 days later, and the rest over another 10 or so days; a few days each to appreciate and speculate, and each hole creating a new way to Fuel Workers to keep things from getting too stale.
I'm not opposed to a Card that adds some Feeding, just its rate: I'd often get the card 3 times in a stack of 10, which spent 3 actions Fuelling as much as ~44 actions of grinding Biscuits did before!

A reference graph below the cut for how bananas the new Feeding Speed is (if you combined days 1->4, you'd still fall short of day 7):

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

--
—Elderfleur
+5 link
Lienoth
Lienoth

7/30/2021
Beloved all,

I wholeheartedly want to agree with the aforementioned sentiments - this event was truly unique, wonderfully orchestrated and very, very enjoyable - a lot of Thanks and admiration to the creators!

yes, the timing might be a little tight - but it really managed to convey a certain sense of immediacy, urgency and dread.
yes, the different levels of possible involvement (due to your individual standing in the game) might have been slightly frustrating for many - but it was an attempt to create something that is involving and interesting for players of all stages (which is not that easy given the massive disparity of possibilities between early and late game) and I myself find it quite fitting if events of this scale are weird and confusing for new-arrivals in the Neath and amenable to influence if you have been around for quite some time.
yes, the lore was not presented for easy digestion - but is rarely is, and I am of the strong opinion that by now Failbetter Games is aware of and used to the many who like to collect and explore and combine and analyze and maybe in the end understand the greater whole in places like this one. so maybe it is sort-of a treasure hunt for the community. and in the end it was not too difficult for the hive-mind here to present the whole story.

what amazes me the most is the feeling of togetherness this event created. we as fellow Neath-citizens managed to avert impending doom, safe our [insert_emotion] city, give us all a future to continue to pursue whyever we are down here - and we managed that in a unique feat of shared efforts and resources. so much so that if even brought solitary and lonesome players like me out of hiding, instilled a need to communicate, to be part of this community. to at least once openly voice my thoughts ... well here they are.

Thanks.
+5 link
Wojciech
Wojciech

7/26/2021
Toran wrote:
Well, I'm glad I didn't get more headless corpses (is a sentence I never thought I'd write).

Four more sites to go!

And congratulations to everyone on digging & feeding the first site!

"Londoners! Tonight we dine in Hell! With stale biscuits!"
edited by Wojciech on 7/26/2021

--
Wojciech, a Glassman, Paramoun Presence of the Ancient Regime, The Holder of the Deck.

Fnardl, a Vake-Hunting Midnighter.
+4 link
elderfleur
elderfleur

7/22/2021
An updated visual timeline of our progress so far, which really highlights how quickly we ate through our food preparations. But, even with that, we're still chugging along quite nicely, especially in Moloch and the University.

--
—Elderfleur
+4 link
elderfleur
elderfleur

8/9/2021
Tsar Koschei wrote:
She's just a normal housecat outside of Parabola, though. No?
After seeing nothing but that black panther portrait for a year I'd internalized that she always looked like that and was one of the permanent Big Cats, but after a bit of sleuthing you're both absolutely correct. Yes, she's a house cat London-side, and yes, she most distinctly purrs when pleased:

Have a word with the Viscountess of the Viric Jungle wrote:
She is basking in the attention – sometimes even purring. [...] Someone – the Shopkeeper, or perhaps Virginia herself – has arranged a mirror at the back of the platform. It reflects the Viscountess in her Parabolan form, much larger and more dangerous. [...]
What's the opposite of "a roll", because that's what I'm on lately when it comes to remembering Fallen London lore. In my defence, there's 12 years of it scattered across tens of millions of words and 5 games at this point.

--
—Elderfleur
+4 link
Captain Blood Storm
Captain Blood Storm

8/8/2021
Aro Saren wrote:
DTravel wrote:
No one has a comment on the Viscountess' return to London?

Condensed version: the fleabag has returned and threatened Masters with something to let her be, possibly rousing the Pigs again and destroying the whole city.
And that's all the information we've got.

Okay I’m curious now: Who did you want to win the last election? Because you’ve been going on about fleabag this and fleabag that for a while, and unless it’s a joke I’m missing it sounds like you really wanted someone else to win.

--
Captain Blood Storm, the Discordant and Twice-Dawnburnt Vake Rider https://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/Hattington
+3 link
Israfel
Israfel

8/10/2021
An update to my previous post- I contacted support@failbettergames.com to determine the best course of action given that I was locked out of the options. I was advised that there are a few other players in the same boat as me, and Bruno kindly offered to refund the excess scrip back into Fate.

So for anyone in the same situation (have purchased Scrip with Fate AND purchased all Election/Great Clearing Out items AND have 20+ Scrip remaining) that appears to be the way to go.
edited by Israfel on 8/10/2021

--
Two futures, endlessly circling.

Adimarch - Yearning, Burning.
+3 link
PJ
PJ

8/8/2021
And a hypocrite is definitely the worst thing you can be whilst slinging insults!

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Peter%20James
+3 link
amalgamate
amalgamate

7/22/2021
The full cycle is:

1) Go to St. Trezigor's Folly in Marigold. There you can explore the folly to get 1 headless skeleton per action, no further requirements or costs. Do this a bunch to build up headless skeletons. (You can skip this step if you are a licentiate.)

2. Back in london, start with a headless skeleton (or use the licentiate option.)

3. Attach a bright brass skull (buy at the bazaar).

4. Declare a humanoid, sell to theologian for biscuits.

5. Feed the diggers. Sell the rewards for echoes, which should cover the cost of the skull. (Some of the rewards are harder to sell, but enough of them are sellable that you should be fine.)

Repeat steps 2-4.

This is significantly more efficient than brawling for biscuits, because the echoes are effectively reused. You take 62.5 Echoes of skull, convert to 62.5 echoes of biscuits, then use that to feed to get back more than 62.5 echoes of items, which you use to buy a skull again.

--

Send me an in-game connection request if you need a discordant missive or a point of notability, or if there's some letters you want to trade.
+3 link
elderfleur
elderfleur

7/23/2021
Tsar Koschei wrote:
Just out of curiosity, has anyone run the EPA numbers on digging and feeding?
Feeding Simulation Assumptions: [1] we accrue Fuelling at 3->60 (linear distribution of 3*[1->20] ), which seems to be a fair rate for a player with 200+ stats. [2] we have enough Nevercold Brass stockpiled that we don't grind any here, specifically 200 per skeleton, and we only value it at its 1 pence sale rate. [3] we get 1 Headless Skeleton for 1 action and no other cost, amortizing a possible train trip to effectively 0 actions; we get the skeletons in bulk! [4] we sell any rewards which we can sell at the bazaar; everything else is thrown in a pile and counted separately. They have value, but usually take actions to extract. They're shown "per act" if you want to ascribe your own value. [5] Nightmares are taken off at -4/act; if you want to ignore them, feel free to add on 0.03 EPA.

• 357166.0 echoes earned in 137221 acts
  • 2.603 EPA plus:
  • 0.0439 flourishing ribcages per act
  • 0.0985 certifiable scraps per act
  • 0.0049 anticandles per act
  • 15207 Skeletons made with 3041400 Nevercold Brass to fund 3500 laps
  • 2262 acts spent reducing nightmares at -4/act

--
    —Elderfleur
    +3 link
    hwoosh
    hwoosh

7/23/2021
    Feldon Smithe wrote:
    I am struggling with why I should continue to feed diggers. If Hinterland Script is worth about half as much as Echoes and it takes 16 Crates of Incorruptible Biscuits at a cost of12 Script each, then each time I feed them it is costing me 96 Echoes in return for items worth 42.50 echoes to 62.50 echoes.

So... given I have spent all my Script, exhausted my supply of Biscuits and Baskets repeatedly, made skeletons to acquire more many times, then why should I continue to do this?

I am at a loss to understand the Return on Investment (ROI) for this event. Am I wrong? If I am misunderstanding this, I hope someone can help me see the light. At this point, I am just going to step back and watch this experiment.

If you're buying Biscuits directly from the Upper River Exchange, then no, it's not profitable. So don't do that. A couple posts above yours someone has laid out the EPA on Feeding assuming you're getting Biscuits from selling headless skeletons with brass skulls. If you don't have a reliable source of Headless Skeletons, you can switch to Licentiate for the event to attach brass skulls even more efficiently. If you can't or don't want to do that, then there's always brawling for biscuits at the docks. That will make you a steady, if not spectacular, profit, though it's much much slower at accruing the necessary quantities of Biscuits to contribute to Feeding. If you don't want to do any of the above options, then feel free not to. The event isn't compulsory.

--
    Persona: hwoosh
    R Fellow Oswho. Don't ask what the "R." stands for. The poor fellow is sensitive about it. And violent.
    Most social requests gladly and promptly answered.
    +3 link
    PSGarak
    PSGarak

7/23/2021
    You're valuing Biscuits based on their Buy price of 12 scrip, rather than their Sell price of 5 scrip/2.5 echoes. This puts the cost at 40 echoes instead of 96, making you turn a profit. Definitely don't buy the biscuits outright; if you want to use up Scrip, buy Spam in the Upper River, sell it at the Bazaar and buy Brass Skulls, stick them on skeletons and sell to the Theologian. This will turn 125 scrip into 26 biscuits (vs 10.4 buying directly), plus or minus some pennies, brass, and actions.

--
    http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/PSGarak
    +3 link
    Tsar Koschei
    Tsar Koschei

7/21/2021
    Captain Blood Storm wrote:
    Got real burned trying to sell a Thorned Ribcage with a Brass Skull to Mrs. Plenty for a measly amount of pies.
    For big gains in pies, you definitely want to sell to the rubbery collector. Put together something suitably monstrous and you can clear upwards of 300 baskets pretty easy, though of course that will clog up your market for a while. If your exhaustion is full, you can just sell to the theologian. Less value per bone, but the payout is all biscuits and there's no cap on sales.

--

No plant battles, loitering, coffee at Caligula's or Affluent Photographer, please.
    +3 link
    elderfleur
    elderfleur

7/26/2021
    Waterpls wrote:
    @elderfleur what was average feeding speed for each day (overall, not per site)?
    Based on how much progress a Feed Action gives today (this might have changed, but I don't know how to verify that), the x-axis is "day number" (we're in day 6 right now), while y-axis and labelled numbers are "Feed actions taken by Londoners":

One slightly sillier way of answering the question is: how many seconds, on average, between Feeding actions? Each day, measured in seconds, overall: 3.39 / 6.14 / 6.17 / 6.20 / 6.28

edit: Confused my axes briefly, but shamefully.
    edited by elderfleur on 7/26/2021

--
    —Elderfleur
    +3 link
    Tsar Koschei
    Tsar Koschei

7/15/2021
    I consider biscuits, rubbery pies and sausage to be very solid bets for goods that will play a part, solacefruit also fairly likely. The kitchen stuff is a lot more exotic as a process and product, but who knows, it may still have a role in the event. But the ones that can be stockpiled make the most sense.

--

+3 link
    elderfleur
    elderfleur

7/21/2021
    I got tired of looking at numbers so I made a graph to show how we're doing:

--
    —Elderfleur
    +3 link
    PJ
    PJ

7/26/2021
    Waterpls wrote:

2. Gives +4 Someone is coming, so it's 8+ EpA in Bone Fragments.

5.5 EPA. 3 actions to get SiC to 4, then 1 action to redeem it. 22 / 4 = 5.5

It really does feel like someone threw in this card in order to hurry up and finish the event, though. I guess they had to do something, though. People without access to food sources were about to run out of things to do.

--
    +3 link
    Baron Lagavulin
    Baron Lagavulin

7/28/2021
    Yup. I really like this event. And I like being Mr. Cards too. Yup, yup. Gave Mr. Spices some booze, again. Because I always do that. Yup. I *may* be a bit tipsy myself. Yup.

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Baron Lagavulin
    +3 link
    Baron Lagavulin
    Baron Lagavulin

7/28/2021
    This is so much better than Elections, truly. I wonder what they'll do next year.

--
    +3 link
    Anthony
    Anthony

7/29/2021
    I want to applaud this event as well. Two parts in particular stood out for me.
    The first is the general excitement of London' Plight and , as someone else has aptly put it here on this thread, the fact that it retroactively justified years of hoarding in a good way.
    The second is the Spider Symposium . As someone with an amateurish interest in philosophy I don't even know where to begin with praising it. The idea , the execution, the self-aware humour that has made me laugh heartily multiple times exploring , just everything about it. I gagged in laughter at the subtle reformulation of "What is it like to be a bat?" , at the quip about the accusation of misunderstanding Aristotle and so many other tid bits masterfully weaved into well written explanations of the main arguments! I plan on sharing some passages with real life friends for fun and edification alike.Whoever it is at Failbetter who came up with this particular idea and did the writing , know that it is much appreciated and savoured.
    edited by Anthony on 7/29/2021
    edited by Anthony on 7/29/2021
    +3 link
    enail
    enail

7/29/2021
    Damn. That was beautiful. I genuinely feel like I did something desperately important with my fellow Londoners and that, for this one moment, everything is okay. And "breakfast will not be postponed indefinitely" made me laugh actually out loud.
    +3 link
    PJ
    PJ

7/30/2021
    The final thing on the most recently posted roadmap is a new event to take the place of elections. (But feel free to preemptively make a "discussions go here" posts titled "Unannounced future content". 😉)

--
    +3 link
    Plynkes
    Plynkes

7/29/2021
    Much as I'd like to blame the Masters for everything, I don't quite see it that way. To me it seems the business with the Stone Pigs' dreams is what set this off. So snakes and cats are to blame. I think the Masters got us digging to fix it.

--
    "Then tell Wind and Fire where to stop, but don't tell me."
    +3 link
    wziemniak
    wziemniak

7/28/2021
    I'll just say that this event gets more and more intresting.
    +2 link
    NNNnobody
    NNNnobody

7/29/2021
    There's a special action you can do when going upwards and chose a certain ending in A Kingdom for a Pig. It only gives text.
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/NNNnobody/23414024

Also yay for better Dangerous gear.

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/NNNnobody
    +2 link
    Tigerfort
    Tigerfort

7/29/2021
    What's the mouseover tooltip text for the "Vestige of a Starlit Reverie"?

With a "Sample of Lacreous Affection", it says "For a moment, there, she thought she could bear lingering here", which definitely puts a slant on this...

--
    Tigerfort-in-Fallen-London: https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Tigerfort/
    Sips of cider and Parabolan Kittens available to all (PM in game); occasionally interested in some other social interactions (ask first).
    Has the opinion of "pass the cat" you'd expect from a person who pushed Connected: Duchess up to a leap year's worth of days.
    +2 link
    Six Handed Merchant
    Six Handed Merchant

7/29/2021
    I'm not sure if this was the intended effect, but the finale of "Mr. Chime's Grand Clearing-Out" was an intense, white-knuckled time for me!

For context, I consider myself a high mid-tier player. I've been around for awhile, but I don't play often or efficiently. I have barely scratched the surface of any of the new content outside of the Lab, and I have not yet finished my ambition, but I'm happy to say I pilled off an Impossible Theorem today!

And oh my that cost a lot! I was too low on Searing Enigmas to research the Theorem in my lab, so I had to convert a ton of Mysteries items to get Uncanny Incunabulum, and then sacrifice them to the Truthbreaker Engine in the University, and even then I had to burn a Trade Secret to get the last of the 26 Searing Enigmas I needed. So 40 actions or so in and I haven't even started research.

So I burned through every last Coffee and Magnificent Feast that I've saved up over the years to get enough actions to complete the research. I am a patient person, so I never saw coffees or feasts as particularly useful, but that was before the introduction of this timed event!

The Searing Enigmas made the research go real quick, but as a mid-game player the Parabolean Research was Awful! I needed 300, and I didn't have any of the advanced, late-game researchers needed to make that go fast.
    So I had to dump 40 actions just on Parabolean Research.

I also didn't realize that "A Reckoning Postponed" was ticking off by the hour, so I thought I was running out of time. So I'm burning my last Advantage to get the Impossible Theorem on the first check, then waiting white-knuckled for my actions to refresh (having long run out of coffee and feasts) to turn it into a Breath of the Void, but it worked!

So maybe I didn't need to burn all 10 of my coffees and 3 feasts, but I'm glad to have made it. If you were wondering who the countdown was for, I guess it was for me. :-)
    edited by Six Handed Merchant on 7/29/2021

--
    The Six Handed Merchant: If it's the truth you seek, The Six Handed Merchant is the gentlemen-, er, lady-, er, detective you need! Just pay no heed to that Eradication Officer tailing Six: that poor fellow is simply out of his mind!

Six's Mantlepiece (I am available for roleplaying and SAs. My schedule is pretty full, so please PM me first to work out the details.)
    +2 link
    enail
    enail

7/29/2021
    Man, this event has been amazing! The experimental nature showed in all the trouble with timing, but that sheer thrill to seeing us blasting through the goals towards the end, even if it felt a little too fast and I was frantic trying to keep up! And this ending's been edge-of-your-seat exciting and tense. And I still have several of the new locations to check out!
    +2 link
    Baron Lagavulin
    Baron Lagavulin

7/29/2021
    PSGarak wrote:
    I was wondering if something else would show up in the meantime, after the rubble is cleared. I guess there's nothing to do now but await The Device.

I'm still wondering whether there's going to be a Round 3. I mean, the stakes can't get much higher than "donate a T8 item," right? Right?

...I hope those of you with Cider don't have a tough decision to make in a few hours.
    edited by PSGarak on 7/29/2021

I have an Ubergoat I'm willing to sacrifice. Cool

--
    +2 link
    Baron Lagavulin
    Baron Lagavulin

7/28/2021
    MadmanAtW wrote:
    This is difficult. I have what may be London's preeminent collection of Breaths of the Void- I have 14. But I'm not sure I feel like I can spare one. Collecting them is one of my greatest Fallen London joys. (They all come from scraps. I haven't done the railroad action that gets you one.)
    That said, Master's Blood and the College aren't hard to come by, and now that I can visit the Nadir again I guess a Fluke Core is just a matter of time, too... hmm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx51eegLTY8

--
    +2 link
    NNNnobody
    NNNnobody

7/28/2021
    Cerebral_Gent wrote:
    I decided to save a falling tomb colonist as this new stage of the event started, but my internet flickered and missed the actual event resulting from that decision. Does anyone know how trying to save the falling tomb colonist works out?

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/NNNnobody/23350152

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/NNNnobody
    +2 link
    NotaWalrus
    NotaWalrus

7/28/2021
    I agree with Elderfleur. If the card had been one-use-only, it would have been a nice boost, but as it was, it turbocharged the event way too much.

--
    http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/NotaWalrus
    Ignacious, the Fluid Professor, he will accept most social invitations, including boxed cats and affluent photographers (but only betrayals), though he is absent-minded and might take more time than entirely necessary. He apologizes.
    +2 link
    PJ
    PJ

7/28/2021
    I think Failbetter sensed that we were getting bored of the event and wanted to hit fast-forward, but things actually got more interesting after the first site opened up. I feel like it could have gone at least a day or two between each site opening, but they sped it up so much that it basically opened all the sites in one day.

They told me they wanted Apostate's Psalms and Verses of the Counter-Creed, but they didn't give me enough time to grind those and use them. I don't even know what the other things they wanted were; the event was over before that became relevant.

--
    +2 link
    DuskWanderer
    DuskWanderer

7/28/2021
    I'm really impressed with the options that going under these cities is giving us. Different ways to make things, that's pretty neat. Failbetter outdid themselves with this one.

However, now that everything is fueled, drawing that one silver card with the horse on it is bad, because you can't play it and can't discard it.
    edited by DuskWanderer on 7/28/2021
    +2 link
    lady ciel
    lady ciel

7/27/2021
    Guess I was the slowest to find the quote smile

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/lady%20ciel

Sorry RL means I am not a very active player at the moment. No social actions unless you are prepared to wait and definitely no sparring or other mult-action things.

No Calling Cards or boxed cats please. Will take dupes on the affluent photographers. Other social invitations welcome. Parabolan Kittens usually available, send me an in-game social action saying you want one and I will get one to you as soon as possible.

storynexus name - reveurciel
    +2 link
    elderfleur
    elderfleur

7/27/2021
    Goodness, that new opportunity card has had a ludicrous effect on feeding speed, even at less popular locations. I had to double check the numbers, but that was 58% -> 99% in a single 12-hour period at the University!

--
    —Elderfleur
    +2 link
    hwoosh
    hwoosh

7/21/2021
    Bluestocking wrote:
    As a low-mid player (is there a definition?), I can see me spending the next week just digging. The bombazine is handy for my wedding and the diamonds are so necessary for lenses. I do wish I could sell some of the items, though. I have zero use for a pre-lapsarian speaking tube!

Many of the unique gear from past seasonal events used to be thought of as essentially souvenirs of the event, with little practical use except bragging rights unless it was a best-in-slot. But as Failbetter have been adding enormous amounts of endgame content over the past couple of years, many if not most of these items have gotten new and genuinely useful uses. Just to pick one example, the Mutton Island Account is an incredibly convenient and cheap way to get rid of Railway Debt. I’ve no idea off the top of my head if the Speaking Tube has been given a special use, but even if not, it’s still worth holding on to in the expectation that FBG will continue their present philosophy of rewarding item hoarders with satisfying perks.

--
    R Fellow Oswho. Don't ask what the "R." stands for. The poor fellow is sensitive about it. And violent.
    +2 link
    Vorwoda Hawksby
    Vorwoda Hawksby

7/21/2021
    Great Flaming Gods of Death!

Haven't seen this one mentioned here yet, but by fueling the miners (level 14) I was rewarded with a tin of 4 Sausages About Which No One Complains! Considering that I don't have Mutersalt (and the seasonal opportunity to get some is not now) this is a GODSEND! Thank you, SALT!

--
    Ambition: Nemesis
    My darling lady-love,
    Lies cruelly slain above;
    To track her unknown killer I've descended,
    To London, in the Neath.
    My blade now in its sheath,
    I've seen her slayer's foul existence ended!
    +2 link
    elderfleur
    elderfleur

7/21/2021
    As someone who has just run out of food supplies, if I want to continue to F E E D is it more action efficient to build skellies? Or should I just swallow my pride and beg Mrs. Plenty/the Theologian for supplies if I want to get back in the dig before the event is over?
    If you want a self-sufficient grind, the Dockers Brawl has a few Biscuit opportunities in the 2.115->2.855 EPA range:
    • 0.846 bpa (Biscuits per Action) with Dangerous 209 (100% on 12 generic Fight checks)
    • 0.916 bpa with a single use of your Special Dispensation (then 10 generic Fight Checks)
    • 1.142 bpa with dangerous 292 (100% on 13 Solo Fight checks)
    • 1.222 bpa with [REDACTED]
    • 1.333 bpa with [REDACTED]
    [REDACTED]. There's likely a better self-sufficient bone-based grind, but it's definitely going to be more complicated, and 2.1->2.8 EPA for a specific item you want isn't shabby.

Edit: Forgot the difficulty ramped up on the special options, unfortunately. Alas!
    edited by elderfleur on 7/21/2021

--
    —Elderfleur
    +2 link
    Tsar Koschei
    Tsar Koschei

7/20/2021
    Aro Saren wrote:
    And it's all fully funded already.
    I view that as a good thing; the quotas for fate spending were clearly not unreasonably high.

--

+2 link
    Aro Saren
    Aro Saren

7/15/2021
    First, these islands are not part of London, thus do not belong to Masters. Second, it's designed so that everyone could participate, including low-level players, thus islands are excluded.

--
    +2 link
    StuartFBG
    StuartFBG
    Administrator

7/20/2021
    The Grand Clearing-Out has begun! Begin exploring the event anywhere in London.
    +2 link
    Azreal DuCain
    Azreal DuCain

7/15/2021
    Will we need Biscuits AND Pies or are Biscuits good enough? I have not hated anything in the game more than the Bone Market locking the railroad away from me behind itself. I haven't even gotten to Jerico Locks yet and not for lack of trying. I get biscuits from the Blind Helmsman. Can I even GET Pies in any realistic amount anywhere else with just Ealing Gardens unlocked? I LOATH the Bone Market.

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Azreal%20DuCain
    +2 link
    Meradine Heidenreich
    Meradine Heidenreich

7/26/2021
    You mean the "high fat offal tubes"?

Snort wrote:
    Please tell me I don’t have to eat the sausages I find.

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Meradine%20Heidenreich

The Starveling kit
    Gobbled up the bit
    of cheese on my tray ..
    "O Weh!"
    +2 link
    Aro Saren
    Aro Saren

7/26/2021
    PSGarak wrote:
    What if the thing buried under Moloch Street is the patron false-saint of baked goods, and the unlocked activity is baking rolls for Dante's Grill?

The Theologian probably wouldn't be too happy to learn the true origin of his crackers. But c'mon man. These things weren't made in sunlight. Only the Neath lets you blur the line between vegetable and mineral like that.

Honestly, this sounds like the effect of smoking the jasmine tea instead of drinking it.
    edited by Aro Saren on 7/26/2021

--
    +2 link
    Bluestocking
    Bluestocking

7/26/2021
    Μαρσ wrote:
    hmmm, I'm a tiny bit disappointed there is no in-game acknowledgement of our current situation

I was expecting another one of those earthquake shifts - even though the first one seemed to happen randomly, with no connection to the dig progress that I could see.

I suspect we have to feed the Thing that is blocking the opening. Sure, it may have disguised some of its tentacles as workers, but they're crude facsimiles. If the light were better we would see that.

--
    Main http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Alethea_Blueleg
    Alt http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Miranda%20Podoserpula

Send me anything you like. Be decent, though. Bad stuff is fine if you attach a warning.
    Timezone eastern Australia. Embrace asynchronicity.
    +2 link
    PJ
    PJ

7/26/2021
    fishandchips wrote:
    Philip Wolf wrote:

Is that a location-specific card, presumably for dig-completed locations? And is it common or rare?

Quite the dilemma... if one's spending actions to dig, that means opportunity cost of not flicking through the card deck.

Ubiquitous. Flipping through the deck is free; only playing cards costs actions. :-)

Playing this card actually provides more progress than supplying food, and four CP of Someone is Coming besides. Flicking the deck seems to come out on top here. You can always climb back down your hole afterwards
    edited by PJ on 7/26/2021

--
    +2 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

7/25/2021
    I just figured that as much digging as could be done by amateurs has been done, and the rest is up to the actual trained excavators. Who will need to be fed.

--
    +2 link
    amalgamate
    amalgamate

7/23/2021
    That could make sense, as people burn through their stockpiles of food and spend more actions digging instead.

--

+2 link
    elderfleur
    elderfleur

7/23/2021
    Progress seems to be holding more or less steady; a moment of silence for those poor hungry Spiders—er, I mean diggers—beneath the Singing Mandrake.

Aiza Moor wrote:
    Though not sure what you mean by 18 echoes since Biscuits cost 12 Scrip (~6 Echoes) on the Upper River.
    If it's saleable Upriver (or one already has the Scrip) the 6 Echo figure holds, but if one only has Echoes, or items which can only be liquidated at the Bazaar you're stuck with a 3:1 penalty (18 Echoes -> 12 Ablution Absolutions -> 12 Scrip -> 1 Biscuit) unless one wants to spend actions converting those items into Upriver items (such as through Skeleton making, as you mention). And one absolutely should spend those actions; it's ridiculous not to, unless one is really in a rush.

--
    —Elderfleur
    +2 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

8/9/2021
    Alright, folks, keep it civil. The office of mayor has been abolished; we don't have to keep rehashing these old arguments.

--
    +2 link
    Tsar Koschei
    Tsar Koschei

8/5/2021
    Yeah, chances are anyone spending fate on scrip would buy an amount with no leftovers. Unless they were deliberately holding onto some as a memento, in which case, again, no loss.

--

+2 link
    Tsar Koschei
    Tsar Koschei

8/9/2021
    Not even roleplaying as such, more just observing and critically assessing characters, actions and events as a reader.

The cat was such a dismal mayor that she is now literally the in-universe reason for the fact that we're not allowed to have mayors anymore. That's just how they wrote the story. She screwed up so badly that she nearly destroyed the entire city. Why would she deserve to be let off the hook for that?

--

+2 link
    Tsar Koschei
    Tsar Koschei

8/4/2021
    I don't understand the question. What "should"? Do what you like. If you want a horse, get the horse. If you don't, do the other thing. There's two options available, it's not like you're spoiled for choice. Why ask us?

--

+2 link
    Tsar Koschei
    Tsar Koschei

8/10/2021
    Dunecat wrote:
    ...while it is unfortunate that Viscountess' entry resulted in a city-wide crisis, it is hardly predictable given consistent Fingerking activity. Our former mayor stood by her campaign promises when she sought to neutralize dream-weapon gap...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuPh6TfK4iY

--

+2 link
    elderfleur
    elderfleur

8/9/2021
    Sir Reginald Monteroy wrote:
    Surely, she's willing to pur for from time to time, when no-one else is looking?
    Regrettably pantherine cats (Tigers, Lions, Leopards, Jaguars) cannot purr, only the smaller Felinae branch of cats (a dream lynx or dream cheetah might, for example). I was willing to accept Neathyness might change this biological fact (something about bone density in the throat?), but after submitting typos to Failbetter for last Winter's Borrowed Glory and tentatively including one instance where the tigerish Love-Sickened Seneschal purrs, the reply suggested our talkative Big Cats keep that surface restriction:
    And er, how about a purr-like rumble? (I'll see whether I can work in 'chuff' without contorting the text too much.)

--
    —Elderfleur
    +2 link
    Tsar Koschei
    Tsar Koschei

8/9/2021
    She's just a normal housecat outside of Parabola, though. No?

--

+2 link
    Sir Reginald Monteroy
    Sir Reginald Monteroy

8/9/2021
    elderfleur wrote:
    In my defence, there's 12 years of it scattered across tens of millions of words and 5 games at this point.

It's a testament to the masterful writing that we're considering all that worth remembering and taking part in to such an extent, when you realise the titanic proportions!

May that last for all times, may the community stay as loyal, and may the grand success the Clearing-Out was be a herald of more just as wunderful things to come.

All things shall be well and all manner of things shall be well.

--
    Sir Reginald Monteroy, the Obsessive Professor
    Paramount Glassman of the Ancient Regime, Courier's Footprint, Poet-Laureate, Defender of Public Safety, Cider owner, Thirteenth Month. Inordinately fond of weasels. Consummate Academic. Compulsively editing his posts.
    http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Sir Reginald Monteroy

If you desire a sip of Hesperidean Cider, PM me in the game.

Rotsternchen, an up-and-rising Socialite, Demi-Monde-Sipping Lepidopteran, New Regime Silverer and Symboliste. The titular orchid of Blutrote Orchidee. Weimar-era Decadent in the making.
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Rotsternchen
    +1 link
    Dunecat
    Dunecat

8/10/2021
    Various wrote:
    ... fleabag this, fleabag that ... psychotic cat ... toxoplasmosis ...

Would you kindly tone down this ailurophobia?
    Path into the dreams of Stone Pigs was first trodden - and militarized by Fingerkings, and Masters of the Bazaar seem to have failed to anticipate that possibility altogether - one of the most important dreams in the viscinity of London was unguarded and unprotected. And while it is unfortunate that Viscountess' entry resulted in a city-wide crisis, it is hardly predictable given consistent Fingerking activity. Our former mayor stood by her campaign promises when she sought to neutralize dream-weapon gap - consider how well fared those of the Fourth City who threw their lot with Fingerkings instead.
    In short, Viscountess of Viric Jungle did nothing wrong.
    I voted for her, and would do so again.

edited by Dunecat on 8/10/2021
    edited by Dunecat on 8/10/2021

--
    Dr.
    +1 link
    fishandchips
    fishandchips

8/13/2021
    Toran wrote:
    Well, look at that - "Preserver" is now a title you can select from the Urchins if you achieved that status during the dig.

I didn't achieve that... I am not a Preserver... I am a Destroyer! Cool

--
    Add me, delicious ones

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Fishandchips
    +1 link
    PJ
    PJ

8/5/2021
    That's not marketing, that's just anticipating the hordes of people that would complain that they can't make the storylet go away without losing their precious Chthonic Scrip.

--
    +1 link
    lady ciel
    lady ciel

8/3/2021
    So the Preservers of London are getting their rewards. Has anyone who wasn't able to get one of the items or was pre-POSI seen anything yet?

--

Sorry RL means I am not a very active player at the moment. No social actions unless you are prepared to wait and definitely no sparring or other mult-action things.

No Calling Cards or boxed cats please. Will take dupes on the affluent photographers. Other social invitations welcome. Parabolan Kittens usually available, send me an in-game social action saying you want one and I will get one to you as soon as possible.

+1 link
    Tsar Koschei
    Tsar Koschei

8/3/2021
    MadmanAtW wrote:
    There's an alternate option on that card if you have the right values for your relationship with the Efficient Commissioner. You can see that response (which gives the same item, in the end) in my journal here: https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Madman%20Across%20the%20Water/23521729 .
    At a glance, the only difference here from the Bazaar/London option is that she's drinking wine instead of tea.

Revolutionaries are the only ones who don't run into her?

--

+1 link
    Tsar Koschei
    Tsar Koschei

8/4/2021
    PSGarak wrote:
    I sure hope I can share confessions with my pony this Hallowmas. It looks in need of guidance.
    If you're referring to the Clydesdale, a draft horse is NOT a pony.

--

+1 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

8/4/2021
    All horses are ponies, however large - same as how all dogs are puppies, however old.

--
    +1 link
    Plynkes
    Plynkes

8/4/2021
    There's a card? Haven't seen it yet on four bleedin' characters. I love you too, FL RNG.

--
    +1 link
    Tsar Koschei
    Tsar Koschei

8/4/2021
    Plynkes wrote:
    There's a card? Haven't seen it yet on four bleedin' characters. I love you too, FL RNG.
    Only standard frequency, which is very hit or miss, especially if your deck isn't particularly pared down. I've gotten it three times now.

--

+1 link
    Ragnar Degenhand
    Ragnar Degenhand

8/9/2021
    Any chance you lads could just give up on the shit stirring?

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Ragnar%20Degenhand
    +1 link
    Tsar Koschei
    Tsar Koschei

8/9/2021
    Ragnar Degenhand wrote:
    Any chance you lads could just give up on the shit stirring?
    The what? "Shit-stirring" is now defined as saying something you disagree with?

If that was what I was actually doing, I might be tempted to make some sort of remark about cat-fanciers and rabies. Maybe toxoplasmosis.

But perhaps I'd best leave off before the rhetoric gets any uglier than this.

--

+1 link
    elderfleur
    elderfleur

8/6/2021
    Tsar Koschei wrote:
    wasn't there an option, along with the larger amounts, to exchange 10 fate for 10 scrip?
    Thank you for the correction; I was certain the Chthonic Scrip options were 30/50/120, but it was of course 10/50/120, so I could have done 4×10. Although even now, the siren's call of "what might happen to this extra bit of Scrip" is, quite possibly, worth 10 Fate for me in connection with a Festival (were we in Ordinary Time I'd be probably feel more frugal). "A happy little accident", to borrow from Bob Ross.

--
    —Elderfleur
    +1 link
    Israfel
    Israfel

8/7/2021
    Tsar Koschei wrote:
    elderfleur wrote:
    I got the free 30, and then decided I wanted two 20s which meant 50 Scrip was the &quotbest&quot option. I could have picked another 30 to be more efficient, but I wanted none as much as those two 20s ... 50 Fate is about a (non-trade) paperback in Canada and I feel like I enjoyed the experience enough for that. And to me a memento was more interesting than a coffee and 62 echoes
    My point was, wasn't there an option, along with the larger amounts, to exchange 10 fate for 10 scrip? Meaning the only reason anyone who spent fate should have any scrip left over would be if they deliberately got more scrip than they intended to spend, or if they screwed up.

Indeed, I'm one of those in the second camp- I accidentally purchased an extra 120 Scrip back when the event began, and given the FAQ indicated that it could be spent on other things, I wasn't too concerned about it. I'm hoping that there will be another use for it before this storylet expires. I have purchased everything available, so currently it's just locked out for me.

I mean it isn't the end of the world if it isn't, but this event has been pretty dismal for me (spent a lot of time and resources on the dig, missed the "reckoning" portion entirely), so I'm hoping to salvage something at least, haha. Note that's not a criticism of the event at all, from what I pieced together afterward, it seems like it was great- the timing just didn't work out for me.
    edited by Israfel on 8/7/2021

--
    Two futures, endlessly circling.

Adimarch - Yearning, Burning.
    +1 link
    Tsar Koschei
    Tsar Koschei

8/9/2021
    I mean, did I, as a player, think this festival was great fun? Indubitably. Would I think, from an in-universe perspective, that it was a good thing to have happen to the city? God no. Does the part that the Viscountess played in it lead me to trust her judgement and motivations? Absolutely not.

--

+1 link
    Captain Blood Storm
    Captain Blood Storm

8/9/2021
    Tsar Koschei wrote:
    I mean, did I, as a player, think this festival was great fun? Indubitably. Would I think, from an in-universe perspective, that it was a good thing to have happen to the city? God no. Does the part that the Viscountess played in it lead me to trust her judgement and motivations? Absolutely not.

OH, I see you're roleplaying. That makes sense, I've never been any good at that stuff myself so I've never really had to think like that. I just assume my character is a bloodthirsty, grind-obsessed murderhobo that reflects my own in-game mad scramble for power, profit, vengeance and unpredictable and capricious sympathy for certain NPCs cough cough Turbulent Tabby cough Valkyrie. Nevermind then, forget I said anything.

...maybe that's why I subconsciously approved of the cat as a mayor, now that I think about it.
    edited by Captain Blood Storm on 8/9/2021

--
    +1 link
    Mulligan
    Mulligan

7/23/2021
    wziemniak wrote:
    *snip*
    It's a joint effort, everyone digging/fueling is contributing to the final result. It's not yet been three whole days and we're 30% of the way to the finish. The event will probably be done after ten days or so (so long as those biscuits keep rolling in decently quickly). It seems slow now, but that's because our efforts are split between five areas. Once one is done, we'll be able to finish the others faster.

edited by Mulligan on 7/23/2021

--
    Jean Morel, waiting for December.
    More than happy to help with menaces.
    Licentiate for hire, will murder for Rostygold.
    +1 link
    Toran
    Toran

7/23/2021
    Waterpls wrote:
    Mulligan wrote:
    wziemniak wrote:
    *snip*
    It's a joint effort, everyone digging/fueling is contributing to the final result. It's not yet been three whole days and we're 30% of the way to the finish. The event will probably be done after ten days or so (so long as those biscuits keep rolling in decently quickly). It seems slow now, but that's because our efforts are split between five areas. Once one is done, we'll be able to finish the others faster.

We are only 20% for feeding tracker. And this was fast part, when people burned through stockpiles. I still think that my initial estimate -- at least 3 weeks -- holds true.
    edited by Waterpls on 7/23/2021

We're at 45% currently for Digging, which means this is still in line with my last estimate of 2-3 more days to knock it out.

We added 10% to feeding tracker today, so tomorrow is going to show the post-hoarding rate for that, but if we keep it up, we're looking at another 8 days. The real wild card is how many people will jump from Digging to Feeding after Digging is complete a couple days from now and to how much effect?

Or will it Feeding hinge entirely on the end-game players?

To be fair, we're also staring down the weekend, which will likely mean less interaction with the game.
    edited by Toran on 7/23/2021

--
    +1 link
    Right Eye
    Right Eye

7/23/2021
    As a middle game player doing this, I only have 50% chance to sell the skeleton to theologian and the suspicion is driving me crazy LoL. So I guess it is even less profitable to me. But I really want to contribute to the fuel , and do not care that much about EPA smile

elderfleur wrote:
    Tsar Koschei wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone run the EPA numbers on digging and feeding?
    Feeding Simulation Assumptions: [1] we accrue Fuelling at 3->60 (linear distribution of 3*[1->20] ), which seems to be a fair rate for a player with 200+ stats. [2] we have enough Nevercold Brass stockpiled that we don't grind any here, specifically 200 per skeleton, and we only value it at its 1 pence sale rate. [3] we get 1 Headless Skeleton for 1 action and no other cost, amortizing a possible train trip to effectively 0 actions; we get the skeletons in bulk! [4] we sell any rewards which we can sell at the bazaar; everything else is thrown in a pile and counted separately. They have value, but usually take actions to extract. They're shown "per act" if you want to ascribe your own value. [5] Nightmares are taken off at -4/act; if you want to ignore them, feel free to add on 0.03 EPA.

• 357166.0 echoes earned in 137221 acts
    • 2.603 EPA plus:
    • 0.0439 flourishing ribcages per act
    • 0.0985 certifiable scraps per act
    • 0.0049 anticandles per act
    • 15207 Skeletons made with 3041400 Nevercold Brass to fund 3500 laps
    • 2262 acts spent reducing nightmares at -4/act
      +1 link
      elderfleur
      elderfleur

7/24/2021
      lady ciel wrote:
      I know the cp per action is variable but how many biscuits or peppercaps are necessary to get to the end of a fuelling cycle.

So has anyone worked out the average number of resources needed to get to feeding 20?
      If you're operating on a 3->60 CP level (200+ stats), I simulated an average of 8 turn-ins, or 128 Biscuits. 7 average rolls would get you there (231 CP / 210 CP), so I'm not quite sure why the discrepancy, although I think it has something to do with excess CP being "wasted" and not carrying over to future rolls? I'll double check the code later, but I think 8 is unintuitive rather than incorrect.

--
      —Elderfleur
      +1 link
      elderfleur
      elderfleur

7/22/2021
      Amalgamate wrote:
      This is significantly more efficient than brawling for biscuits, because the echoes are effectively reused. You take 62.5 Echoes of skull, convert to 62.5 echoes of biscuits, then use that to feed to get back more than 62.5 echoes of items, which you use to buy a skull again.
      To lend support to this, my rough estimate puts a Skeleton loop at 4.58 actions, whereas Brawling takes 14.75 actions (both loops incorporate a single two-action Fuelling). I think Skeletons end up with a slightly lower EPA (I'm estimating 2.8 vs 3.0 EPA, so definitely nothing massive), but if we step away from abstraction, turning in biscuits is the point, and Skeletons do it quick!

Although, one could also argue that a true patriot would sell everything they own and buy Biscuits for 18 Echoes a piece, turning them in at maximum efficiency: the two-action loop! I wouldn't advise that, though.

--
      —Elderfleur
      +1 link
      Tsar Koschei
      Tsar Koschei

7/22/2021
      fishandchips wrote:
      Seeking confirmation if Emetic Revelation and Bejewelled Lenses are digging rewards and not fueling ones.
      As was already previously explained to you, lenses are not available directly from the event, only diamonds, which are a component for crafting lenses.

--

+1 link
      Wojciech
      Wojciech

7/22/2021
      fishandchips wrote:
      Seeking confirmation if Emetic Revelation and Bejewelled Lenses are digging rewards and not fueling ones.

Emetic Revelations are a rare reward for Digging or a guaranteed reward for Feeding: 4 ERs at lvl 16-17.

--
      Wojciech, a Glassman, Paramoun Presence of the Ancient Regime, The Holder of the Deck.

+1 link
      Plynkes
      Plynkes

7/22/2021
      fishandchips wrote:

Yeah... I'm too newbie/poor/unqualified to feed and I think I got everything from digging except Emetic Revelation. upset

Just how much of a newbie are you? If you have A Name Scrawled in Blood 7 you can participate in the 'Brawling with Dockers' activity. Incorruptible Biscuits can be obtained there. Previously you had to be involved with the Railway to gain biscuits, but FB seems to have removed that, presumably so more people who aren't end game players can join in with the feeding part of the festival.

I just got a bunch of biscuits with one of my Ambition alts who is nowhere near starting with the Railway.

--
      +1 link
      Wojciech
      Wojciech

7/22/2021
      I've bought 20 brass skulls, obtained 20 headless skeletons and currently slowly process them into biscuits. A word of caution for those who do the same: don't forget that you also need 200 Nevercold Brass Slivers for each skull you affix.

--

+1 link
      Jack Vaux-Harrowden
      Jack Vaux-Harrowden

7/22/2021
      Toran wrote:
      I'd forgotten that there's an easy source of these now. Off to farm them, because you're right. That's blatantly the fastest way to convert echoes to biscuits. And doesn't burn off more valuable resources.

Is the easy source in question Saint Trezigor's Folly, or have I missed a better source? It seems like just buying them with jade would end up being easy, but rather expensive.
      +1 link
      Tsar Koschei
      Tsar Koschei

7/21/2021
      I can certainly see them being enthusiastic about "big gains in pies" as well.

--

+1 link
      Mulligan
      Mulligan

7/21/2021
      Here I am brawling at the docks, completely forgetting I'm a (semi)trained assassin! If you're also a licentiate, you can get a cozy 1.5 bpa by selling 'recently acquired' skeletons to the Theologian (4 actions, 6 biscuits).

--
      +1 link
      Aro Saren
      Aro Saren

7/25/2021
      I suspect that we dig the lacre reservoirs, so the celebration will manifest in dissolution. Although I think the liberationists will hijack the Masters' plan, and dissolve everyone not willing to dissolve someone else.

--
      +1 link
      silurica
      silurica

7/25/2021
      elderfleur wrote:
      *snip*

I love your charts. Please keep them coming!

--
      Meika Osborne, the Reckless Researcher
      Leonard West, the Scarlet Informant
      Chizuru Nishiooji, the Rueful Ex-Diplomat
      +1 link
      Pnakotic
      Pnakotic

7/25/2021
      I am but a humble biscuit farmer, tending my flock.

--
      J. Ward Dunn, Glassman

Book of All Hours 9:99: Journey's end in lover's meeting. Progress is ascendancy.
      +1 link
      Μαρσ
      Μαρσ

7/25/2021
      hmmm, I'm a tiny bit disappointed there is no in-game acknowledgement of our current situation, although that does leave some room for some fun headcanon. How do you, my fellow Londoners, picture it in your head? Are we having a celebratory banquet with the dig crew before ceremonially busting trough the last floor? Is Mr Chimes sitting us down, berating us for digging without eating our fill, like an odd overbearing mother figure? Or did our minds betray us in those tunnels, and did the digging and fueling actually never get out of sync?

--
      Μαρσ,
      A Londoner, Researcher, Chef, ex-Seeker, and Invisible Eminence. All social actions are welcomed.
      +1 link
      Diptych
      Diptych
      Administrator

7/25/2021
      elderfleur wrote:
      Deep underground, deep under the other underground, far from the Masters and surrounded by hungry workers, is no place to cross the picket lines.

That's 'cause the miners don't believe that you shouldn't pick a scab.

--
      +1 link
      xKiv
      xKiv

7/25/2021
      Diptych wrote:
      I just figured that as much digging as could be done by amateurs has been done, and the rest is up to the actual trained excavators. Who will need to be fed.

I assumed treachery of clocks. We haven't yet finished feeding the workers, but they already finished being fed.

--
      https://www.fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/xKiv - a witchful, percussive, dangermous and shadowry scholar of coexplodence, hopsidirean, and walker of fallen kitties.
      +1 link
      elderfleur
      elderfleur

7/26/2021
      PSGarak wrote:
      What if the thing buried under Moloch Street is the patron false-saint of baked goods, and the unlocked activity is baking rolls for Dante's Grill?
      The day we finished digging beneath the Brass Embassy our daily food supply totalled 6.66% of the goal! Just a fun coincidence, of course. Unless...?

Baking's on the rise (sorry), while Digging slowly declines; the snowball effect is quite real, though, and I have to assume some of the recent food production has come from converted diggers. Two visualizations beneath the cut, because a witch cursed me to make charts and graphs:
      [spoiler]Our time-lapse progress:

And daily actions spent on Digging and Feeding, with a bolded percentage on top to represent "share of total goal completed this day" in their respective category.

[/spoiler]

--
      —Elderfleur
      +1 link
      Philip Wolf
      Philip Wolf

7/26/2021
      It seems that we've all unlocked an opportunity card that lets us contribute feeding to a dig site of our choice. It's called "An Upturned Cart." This will for sure help out feeding cause even players without UR can contirbute without having to brawl.

--
      https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Philip%20Wolf
      +1 link
      PJ
      PJ

7/15/2021
      You can sell a Thorned Ribcage to Mrs Plenty for 5 pies without building a skeleton, or just beg her for a free Basket of Rubbery Pies. Technically that's still inside the bone market. There aren't any sources further up the railway, either; every Rubbery Pie source is in the Bone Market.

--
      +1 link
      Lady Karnstein
      Lady Karnstein

7/15/2021
      Wondering if Sausage About Which No One Complains or Solacefruit will be useful. Or Station VIII food. There seems to be a lot of interesting possibilities.

--
      Lady Caroline Karnstein, The Moral Hedonist (Description)
      Infamous writer, artist, and courtesan. Unrepentant Invert. Hesperidean.
      Paramount Presence, Correspondent, Nocturnal. Poet Laureate of the Neath, Ambassador to Arbor
      +1 link
      lady ciel
      lady ciel

7/15/2021
      FB said "this progression track is fueled by spending various Upper River and Bone Market sustenance items like Incorruptible Biscuits."

So any and all sustenance items may be useful

--

+1 link
      Macnia
      Macnia

7/14/2021
      This sounds really fun. I always ducked out on past elections because they seemed so contentious and frustrating to take part in. A collaborative summer event should be a lot more engaging for me to take part in, though. The whole fandom working together to dip up some no-doubt horrific excavation sites, that's going to be great. I'm looking forward to it.

--
      https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Macnia
      +1 link
      Ixc
      Ixc

7/14/2021
      I'm sure the working conditions for this event will be safe and entirely sanity preserving.

--
      Pleased to meet you. Ixc, spy and detective. Inventor of the Correspondence Cannon.
      Are you a Paramount Presence? Record your name here. For posterity, of course.

Being poked incessantly by nightmares? Poke them back!
      Vote the Viscountess for Mayor!
      +1 link
      amalgamate
      amalgamate

7/14/2021
      I think that means the "Free Gift" quality from the last election. If you didn't pick a free gift last time (and just kept the "You have one free gift!" quality) you get to get 30 cthonic scrip instead.

--

+1 link
      Captain Blood Storm
      Captain Blood Storm

7/20/2021
      As someone easily distracted enough to have a little pick at every dig site right off the bat out of curiosity, I'd just like to express my pride in my fellow players for POURING EVERYTHING INTO MOLOCH STREET, the dig site I personally was most invested in.

It was an utterly surreal experience to realise I was the first person to dig at every other site, except maybe the University.

--
      +1 link
      Mulligan
      Mulligan

7/20/2021
      10,000 units of tea to Moloch Street! If anyone needs a mug, I'm your man.

Cool to see the non-candidate election items being given as rewards for the digging and funding. This will be a nice way to sink actions for however long this lasts. Looking forward to it!

--
      +1 link
      Aro Saren
      Aro Saren

7/20/2021
      And it's all fully funded already.

--
      +1 link
      Snort
      Snort

7/20/2021
      Wojciech wrote:
      Will the CS still be available after all five digs are fully funded?

Yes, it is, and they are.
      edited by Snort on 7/20/2021

--
      https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Snort
      +1 link
      Sir Reginald Monteroy
      Sir Reginald Monteroy

7/15/2021
      Spiffy. Finally something meaningful to do with my hoard of 621 Rubbery Pies, 452 Incorruptible Biscuits and 109 Parabolan Orange-Apples. And if there's any use for Tinned Ham and Canned Zzoup, I may even utilize the 11000+ Scrip, 7000+ Nightsoil, 5000+ Peppercaps and several thousand Echoes worth of bones ready for skeleton assembly smile
      What can I say? I expected Hell to be somewhat more open to mercantile exchange Cool

I can't overstate how excited I am for this event. Like many others said, it seems to have all the best stuff, and I'm looking forward to contributing my fair share. I am also really anxious to see what Hinterland economy items may find their first use here. I'm still waiting for any sign as to the estimated worth of Moonlight Scales, the supposed Infernal delicacy.

Aro Saren wrote:
      First, these islands are not part of London, thus do not belong to Masters. Second, it's designed so that everyone could participate, including low-level players, thus islands are excluded.

And third, even for the Fruits of the Zee festival they introduce a way for the Ship-less people to get to the festival grounds, so they'd certainly implement something similar if there's a less accessible place involved.

--
      Paramount Glassman of the Ancient Regime, Courier's Footprint, Poet-Laureate, Defender of Public Safety, Cider owner, Thirteenth Month. Inordinately fond of weasels. Consummate Academic. Compulsively editing his posts.

Rotsternchen, an up-and-rising Socialite, Demi-Monde-Sipping Lepidopteran, New Regime Silverer and Symboliste. The titular orchid of Blutrote Orchidee. Weimar-era Decadent in the making.
      +1 link
      PSGarak
      PSGarak

7/15/2021
      I kind of doubt that the items from the Station VIII lab will be used for this. Meals from the Station VIII kitchen are plausible, especially that one dish that's a substitute for sausage.

I would keep in the kitchen in mind as a source of solacefruit and cherries, via the Castermonger. I haven't run the numbers but my gut instinct is that if we end up needing both those items in bulk, the best source will be serving her Curatorial Cocktails via War in Parabola.

--
      +1 link
      Tsar Koschei
      Tsar Koschei

7/20/2021
      I'm not sure it's been explicitly stated, but I do rather expect they'll all be available again during whatever event we'll have next year instead of this one.

--

+1 link
      Plynkes
      Plynkes

7/20/2021
      Nice to have found something to do with all the Jasmine tea that I have somehow accumulated.

I seem to have mislaid that bag of Lethean tea leaves I used to have knocking about, would have been fun to slip those in when nobody was looking, just for the sheer devilment of it.
      edited by Plynkes on 7/20/2021

--
      +1 link
      Plynkes
      Plynkes

7/20/2021
      fishandchips wrote:
      I bought 30 Chthonic Scrips, now have 'An Investor in Mr Chimes' Grand Clearing-Out 1' and can't buy more Chthonic Scrips.

Will that quality be removed when I spend the 30 Scrips?

No, it doesn't reset. I think the idea is that you can get 30 scrip once using glim, if you want any more you have to pay with Fate (paying with glim requires that you don't have the quality, paying with Fate requires that you DO have it.).

--
      +1 link
      hwoosh
      hwoosh

7/20/2021
      fishandchips wrote:
      Do certain options reset Delving? Once my Delving was reset at 14.

The unique rewards reset it, and so do the options at Delving 20 (which is the end of the carousel, so you get to pick one 20-level reward, even if not unique, then reset and start again.)

EDIT: that should read, “at or above level 20”. I didn’t realize there were discrete rewards for level 21+ until I happened across one! And indeed, anything at or above level 20 resets the carousel.
      edited by hwoosh on 7/20/2021

--
      +1 link
      Tsar Koschei
      Tsar Koschei

7/20/2021
      "Exactly 21" feeding at University gave me a tragedy fragment.

--

+1 link
      Aro Saren
      Aro Saren

7/20/2021
      Apparently the tables are the same at every place, only number itself matters.

--
      +1 link
      Tsar Koschei
      Tsar Koschei

7/20/2021
      Right, so as they said "While the activities hidden beneath them vary, all the dig sites are more or less mechanically identical."

So I guess what that means is that while the thing uncovered after the dig is completed will be different in each area, the process of excavation itself and rewards gained thereby are the same across all of them.

--

+1 link
      PSGarak
      PSGarak

7/20/2021
      fishandchips wrote:

So each (non-Fate) player is only allowed to get 30 Scrips? And redeem them for one reward? Or keep them for future?

That's correct. That seems to be FBG's new model for Festival rewards. There are some items that can be obtained through progress, and there are some items that are Fate purchases. But the use of "event currencies" means players can pick one Fate item for free.

The FAQ in the announcement seems to indicate this currency will not be useful after the conclusion of the festival.

--
      +1 link
      Winthropx
      Winthropx

7/20/2021
      I was hoping the new currency had an option to ask the Numismatrix about. She doesn’t have one yet at least.
      Also, do any of the new items unlock options anywhere?

--
      Bishop Winthrop, a kind-hearted soul
      A Paramount Presence
      I accept all social actions
      His Appearance
      http://community.failbettergames.com/topic9363-your-characters-appearances.aspx?messageid=229809&Page=10#post#post229809
      +1 link
      Toran
      Toran

7/20/2021
      Yeah, I think their estimate of 1-2 weeks was pretty rosy. Especially with the food costs.

--
      +1 link
      Tigerfort
      Tigerfort

7/20/2021
      The announcement article (on the blog at https://www.failbettergames.com/announcing-mr-chimes-grand-clearing-out/ ) says "This new currency is 1:1 to Fate (10 Fate buys you 10 scrip), but it exists so we can tie Fate purchases to progressing specific dig sites".

But not everyone reads blog posts (or forums, discord, wiki, etc), so I agree it would be good to mention it on the purchase actions. (I think the only reason the 120 Fate option already does is to emphasise that 120 plus the free 30 is enough to buy all the new fate items from the festival, and any more will be wasted.)
      edited by Tigerfort on 7/20/2021

--
      Sips of cider and Parabolan Kittens available to all (PM in game); occasionally interested in some other social interactions (ask first).
      Has the opinion of "pass the cat" you'd expect from a person who pushed Connected: Duchess up to a leap year's worth of days.
      +1 link
      Sir Reginald Monteroy
      Sir Reginald Monteroy

7/20/2021
      enail wrote:
      I'm a bit confused by the fact they don't seem to tell you how much Chthonic Scrip the two smaller fate options will get you. That's pretty important for deciding whether/which to buy!

I believe Chthonic Scrip goes at 1:1 ratio with Fate across all three options. At least that's what FBG clearly stated...

--

+1 link
      Wojciech
      Wojciech

7/20/2021
      enail wrote:
      I'm a bit confused by the fact they don't seem to tell you how much Chthonic Scrip the two smaller fate options will get you. That's pretty important for deciding whether/which to buy!

It's always 1 Scrip for 1 Fate, so it's pretty easy to devise. But, yeah, a bit confusing.

--

+1 link
      Captain Blood Storm
      Captain Blood Storm

7/21/2021
      elderfleur wrote:
      As someone who has just run out of food supplies, if I want to continue to F E E D is it more action efficient to build skellies? Or should I just swallow my pride and beg Mrs. Plenty/the Theologian for supplies if I want to get back in the dig before the event is over?
      If you want a self-sufficient grind, the Dockers Brawl has a few Biscuit opportunities in the 2.115->3.332 EPA range:
      • 0.846 bpa (Biscuits per Action) with Dangerous 209 (100% on 12 generic Fight checks)
      • 0.916 bpa with a single use of your Special Dispensation (then 10 generic Fight Checks)
      • 1.142 bpa with dangerous 292 (100% on 13 Solo Fight checks)
      • 1.222 bpa with [REDACTED]
      • 1.333 bpa with [REDACTED]

[REDACTED]. There's likely a better self-sufficient bone-based grind, but it's definitely going to be more complicated, and 2.1->3.3 EPA for a specific item you want isn't shabby.

Edit: Forgot the difficulty ramped up on the special options, unfortunately. Alas!
      edited by elderfleur on 7/21/2021

Hah! I just learned the hard way about the difficulty-ramping. Still pretty good all things considered, but I really should've just minmaxed Dangerous and then milked the Dispensation for all it was worth.

Edit: I must also confess I completely forgot I also had the option of liquidating my 3.5k Scrip at the Extramural Trading Company on the Railway for the sake of biscuits. It's probably better to have the grind as an option anyway. FB has conditioned me into fretting over there being something, someday, I'll be glad I had all that Scrip for.
      edited by Captain Blood Storm on 7/21/2021

--
      +1 link
      amalgamate
      amalgamate

7/21/2021
      Yeah, I'm pretty excited about those bottles of airag, that's a great reward, since I need to replenish those since I gave up a Masters' Blood for the Shadowy 21 capstone. ...but none of those are unique, there's plenty of ways of getting those items elsewhere.

Feeding allows you to trade late-game items for other late-game items (at a reasonable but not huge profit), digging gets you mid-game items. Both give you the same *unique* items, though.

--

+1 link
      Mulligan
      Mulligan

7/21/2021
      Hey, that's pretty good! Chugging along decently, I would say. Although, I do feel that fueling the digs is going to take a fair bit longer than actually digging given the resource requirements.

After 24 hours I think I can readily say I'm really into this event. It's pretty cool that the end-game players should be finding efficient ways to source materials for the workers while the newcomers can spend their time hammering away in the mines. Your progress as a player pushing you towards a role in the event is thematically appropriate and decently rewarding for everyone involved.

--
      +1 link
      Tsar Koschei
      Tsar Koschei

7/21/2021
      Each site individually will unlock something upon completion, and we need to finish all five of them in order to to clear the event.

--

+1 link
      amalgamate
      amalgamate

7/22/2021
      Seems like the way to proceed is headless skeleton + brass skull. It’s a minimal skeleton that basically serves to convert brass skulls to biscuits. Since the rewards are worth more than the inputs cost, you can just sell them to buy more skulls.

--

+1 link
      Bluestocking
      Bluestocking

7/22/2021
      fishandchips wrote:

Oooh, I don't have that yet. I'm guessing that's one of the Delving 21 rewards, I don't see that ever offered for Delving 20.

I'm unclear on what you mean by "that". Perhaps I was unclear, too. Bejewelled lenses are a thing you make at the Bazaar sidestreets, and they need the diamonds - the golden reward at level 20. The Smock of Four Thousand Three Hundred and Eight Pockets is a thing that I plan to buy at the bazaar, for which I need lot of cash (420 echoes).

Level 21 is a suitcase with mourning candles and an unlawful device.

Level 22 I have not seen yet.

I am more and more convinced that stats matter. The pattern of my alt going much more slowly than my main persists.

--
      Main http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Alethea_Blueleg
      Alt http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Miranda%20Podoserpula

Send me anything you like. Be decent, though. Bad stuff is fine if you attach a warning.
      Timezone eastern Australia. Embrace asynchronicity.
      +1 link
      PSGarak
      PSGarak

7/22/2021
      fishandchips wrote:

I'm guessing Unprovenanced artefacts, Flourishing ribcage and Aeolian screams are rewards from fueling, not digging. We shall see.

Someone on the Wiki said the Emetic Relevation is a reward when your Delving hits exactly 15.

You're correct, Artefacts, Ribcages, and Screams are all rewards from the food-supplies options.

Emetic Revelations can be obtained from either, as it turns out. From food options, you get four of them in the 15-17 range (and Nightmares, which is annoying). From Digging options, it seems to be a rare success and also some varying text which is a little spooky.

Bluestocking wrote:
      I am more and more convinced that stats matter. The pattern of my alt going much more slowly than my main persists.

I hadn't considered this before but it would explain why i always go straight to 8+ progress on my first swing. Wonder what it's based on specifically?

--
      +1 link
      Tigerfort
      Tigerfort

7/27/2021
      wziemniak wrote:
      So... those new locations we dug up. They're going to stay here forever or just for the event?

The blog post says "Excavating these dig sites will unlock new repeatable activities – permanently, for all players".

--
      +1 link
      PSGarak
      PSGarak

7/27/2021
      Plynkes wrote:
      Don't want to cast doubt on what other people have been saying, but what are we basing the assumption that the excavated locations will stick around after the event on?

The announcement.

https://www.failbettergames.com/announcing-mr-chimes-grand-clearing-out/

Relevant part:

FBG wrote:

Excavating these dig sites will unlock new repeatable activities – permanently, for all players; each one is roughly the same size as Brawling with the Dockers.

--
      +1 link
      lady ciel
      lady ciel

7/27/2021
      Plynkes wrote:
      Don't want to cast doubt on what other people have been saying, but what are we basing the assumption that the excavated locations will stick around after the event on?

The original blog post says :- Excavating these dig sites will unlock new repeatable activities – permanently, for all players; each one is roughly the same size as Brawling with the Dockers. They touch on many different corners of the setting, from Clay Men to Sorrow-Spiders and beyond.

--

+1 link
      Waterpls
      Waterpls

7/26/2021
      Mortification grind:
      1a choose direction
      16a spy-holes
      1a payout
      = total 18 actions

payout 1x mortification (62.5e) + 8 beeswax

62.58 / 18 = 3.47 EpA

297 Watchful to 100%
      edited by Waterpls on 7/26/2021

--
      Long grinds: Hellworm 167/200, Narcissistic Statues 9/9; Heptagoat Done; Cider Done
      +1 link
      Waterpls
      Waterpls

7/27/2021
      University is over 90% and going fast. In few hours maybe.

--
      Long grinds: Hellworm 167/200, Narcissistic Statues 9/9; Heptagoat Done; Cider Done
      +1 link
      Arcanuse
      Arcanuse

7/27/2021
      University is now full. Time to go take a look and see whats down there.
      edited by Arcanuse on 7/27/2021

--
      https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Arcanuse
      +1 link
      Tigerfort
      Tigerfort

7/27/2021
      The game of Knife-and-Candle returns, it would seem, though presumably in rather different form.

--
      +1 link
      Sir Reginald Monteroy
      Sir Reginald Monteroy

7/27/2021
      Waterpls wrote:
      Is University much harder than Moloch or FBG adjusting grinds on the fly? With my 298 watchful I was able to 100% in old embassy, but in old newsgate I am at 78% or something for the similar best option.

Both University and Spite areas seem to have higher challenges for the most rewarding option. I've gone back to check at the Embassy and it's still at 100% for me.
      Either these are meant to have different difficulties, or we can expect a difficulty upgrade at the Embassy in the near future.

--

+1 link
      PJ
      PJ

7/28/2021
      You know what I hate? Time-limited things. The last area is going to be fully-fueled before I get enough actions to use all the fuel I brought. I can see it happening, but there's nothing I can do to stop it or slow it down.

--
      +1 link
      PJ
      PJ

7/28/2021
      And now they're all full. No more chance to use the resources that I spent yesterday building up. I regret every action that I wasted exploring one of the new areas when the deadline was closing in.

--
      +1 link
      NotaWalrus
      NotaWalrus

7/28/2021
      All locations are fueled now. The horse card is now undiscardable dead weight.

--
      Ignacious, the Fluid Professor, he will accept most social invitations, including boxed cats and affluent photographers (but only betrayals), though he is absent-minded and might take more time than entirely necessary. He apologizes.
      +1 link
      Snort
      Snort

7/28/2021
      PJ wrote:
      Eh, it's an annoyance, but it's not like I lost anything that I could have saved with the Darkdrop. Save that for when I have 42 Making Waves and I just need one more level to bump my Notability before TtH comes in the next hour

And the Cart cards are *still* turning up. Aarrgghh.

--
      https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Snort
      +1 link
      Alexander Feld
      Alexander Feld

7/26/2021
      I just bought 60000 rostygold by accident instead of selling it to fund brass skulls. *sigh* This is why I prefer simple, mindless grinds.

--
      I am a star-gazer, story-eater, and a smelter of words.

I filch hidden things from hidden places, to hide once more in my dark cabinet of curiosities

Alexander Feld, the mad, damned, lord of seekers.
      +1 link
      KenShi
      KenShi

7/28/2021
      A spelunking adventure, a hack-and-slash battle royale, an underground migration service. Lovely tales so far.

--
      https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/KenShi%20Stormrider
      +1 link
      Wojciech
      Wojciech

7/28/2021
      fishandchips wrote:
      On site at the Singing Mandrake, 4.5k more to 1mil before digging is complete.

Blind Helmsman at around 29k more to completion.

I might explore what's beneath the Singing Mandrake later, then dig another full round at the Blind Helmsman, and that should be the end of digging.

By the way, which item should I get with those 30 free Scrips? They are all so pretty!

Depends on your current equipment, but if I had to choose one, I’d take the Ring. If you have a +2 Mithridacy Warbler, it’ll get your Mithridacy to 10 and ensure 100% completion on a number of checks (including, ironically, affixing brass skulls).

--

+1 link
      Aro Saren
      Aro Saren

7/28/2021
      Alas, no.
      But I see that PSGarak has echoed the book (and hadn't tell us).
      edited by Aro Saren on 7/28/2021

--
      +1 link
      Kaminski
      Kaminski

7/28/2021
      Wicked223 wrote:
      I’ve been sitting on this Vial of Master’s Blood for almost five years; it’s the most valuable thing I own… do I really wanna give up for a seasonal event?

You can reliably get bottles of Airag by delivering agents to the Khanate, a new Vial shouldn't be super hard to come by.

--
      Kaminski; Correspondent, magnanimous hedonist. Available for most types of social actions
      +1 link
      Toran
      Toran

7/28/2021
      Cups is among the worst. I'm glad it's dead.

--
      +1 link
      Wiwaxia foliosa
      Wiwaxia foliosa

7/28/2021
      I gave Wines the vial of his former friend's lifeblood that I collected when I killed him. Sad to lose it, but I didn't have any of the other items and it seemed fitting, somehow.

--
      https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Wiwaxia%20foliosa
      +1 link
      Frenzgyn
      Frenzgyn

7/28/2021
      Honestly while, storywise, I am liking the event a lot, I am also feeling a bit confused by all the world qualities (and rapid completion rates) and overwhelmed by so many possibilities.

--
      http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Frenzgyn
      +1 link
      NotaWalrus
      NotaWalrus

7/28/2021
      A small mechanical tidbit about this event is the way it has used recycled storylets. It is very obvious that the different flavors of volunteering, and the different ways to explore the various dig sites, as well as the different dig sites themselves, are all the same storylet, with minor text changes based on some quality. Initially it seemed a little strange to me that you had to take a 0-action slet to go down into the digs, but now it makes perfect sense. I'm pretty sure there was only one digging storylet, and it just hid/showed different options based on a hidden "location" quality.

It's a clever way to reuse assets, but the implementation in the case of the volunteering feels a little too transparent for my tastes.

The only other time I've noticed this technique was in the Caveat Emptor ES, where the different lodgings you explored were mechanically identical but had wildly varying text. I feel like the different flavors of volunteering could have used more variation so that the asset reuse isn't as obvious.

--
      +1 link
      DTravel
      DTravel

7/29/2021
      Personally this is all moving way too fast now. I have to work full time and I feel like I missed an entire section of this one-time event while I was at work.

--
      https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Dimensional%20Traveler
      +1 link
      CaptainNemo
      CaptainNemo

7/29/2021
      Interesting, I see some people talking about 'long time' players... I happen to be a strange sort, where I played early on and had a hiatus when I lost interest, came back when 'Hearts' was finished. After fulfilling my heart's desire, I went on to fill FB's desire in my becoming a bone-statue-tolgoist, railway tycoon and many other subsets of bizarrism, for instance, Artisan of the Red Science, (which is extreme DNA manipulation and beyond) and don't even ask me about why I invested so much in Stewart of a (CENSORED).

My point being: this game is a playground for the imagination and nothing makes sense fully. It's joyfully bizarre and bizarrely enjoyable. Finally, it's the only game I've ever grinded so far to find out what comes next. They got me skillfully pegged like a slightly sedated stone pig.

--
      Meet me where the sunless sea meets the city...https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Villads
      +1 link
      Orioza
      Orioza

7/29/2021
      fishandchips wrote:
      I see a way to make an Impossible Theorem... but it's too risky.

Upconvert:
      Tales of Terror - Extraordinary Implication - Uncanny Incunabulum

Shadowy Dealings at the University - Visit the Professor Denuntiatus of Infernal Rarefactions - The Other Thing in the Other Chapel - Manufacture Searing Enigmas
      (Each time Requires 25 Uncanny Incunabulums)

Then
      Locate an Impossible Theorem

Challenge information
      Watchful 500 || 342 - very chancy (41%) || 425 - chancy (51%) || 509 - modest (61%) || 592 - very modest (71%) || 675 - low-risk (81%) || 759 - straightforward (91%) || 834 - straightforward (100%)

---

Very low chance of success, very costly failure. But if you're a gambler, go for it.

It's easier to just research it in the lab if you have access to one.
      And maybe a little faster in terms of the grind time.

--
      https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Orioza

Orioza, the obsessive compulsive captain, exploring the many aspects of the Neath.
      +1 link
      fishandchips
      fishandchips

7/29/2021
      CaptainNemo wrote:
      Interesting, I see some people talking about 'long time' players... I happen to be a strange sort, where I played early on and had a hiatus when I lost interest, came back when 'Hearts' was finished. After fulfilling my heart's desire, I went on to fill FB's desire in my becoming a bone-statue-tolgoist, railway tycoon and many other subsets of bizarrism, for instance, Artisan of the Red Science, (which is extreme DNA manipulation and beyond) and don't even ask me about why I invested so much in Stewart of a (CENSORED).

My point being: this game is a playground for the imagination and nothing makes sense fully. It's joyfully bizarre and bizarrely enjoyable. Finally, it's the only game I've ever grinded so far to find out what comes next. They got me skillfully pegged like a slightly sedated stone pig.

Pegged can have another meaning... wink

--
      Add me, delicious ones

+1 link
      menaulon
      menaulon

7/29/2021
      Kylestien wrote:
      Also note: It's revs or nothing if you plan to donate the item to this cause. There is no donate option for Location of a prince of hell, or for impossible therom. Which means you want the M-s B-d from revs.
      edited by Kylestien on 7/29/2021

This is no longer the case. If you have no other donatable items, it is currently possible to exchange Impossible Theorem or Location of a Prince of Hell (or the other equivalently expensive items) for a Breath of the Void, which you can then donate: https://fallenlondon.wiki/wiki/Assistance_from_Pinnock
      edited by menaulon on 7/29/2021

--
      Menaulon
      Open to social actions, but would prefer to be betrayed in the search for Photographer.
      +1 link
      Wiwaxia foliosa
      Wiwaxia foliosa

7/29/2021
      I'm liking my new affiliation, but too much nonsense in my youth has left me unable to take the description entirely seriously.

The Masters stole the precious thing, evidently.

--
      https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Wiwaxia%20foliosa
      +1 link
      Toran
      Toran

7/29/2021
      This affiliation also feels like the kind that will pop up later as a special quality delivering action options in the future. Or possibly an opportunity card after the event.

--
      +1 link
      Tsar Koschei
      Tsar Koschei

7/29/2021
      I'm pretty sure it's all set up and ready to go, just a question of how much of a pause they'll hold before advancing events. If we've understood the timetable correctly, things may be about to jerk ahead again in about ten minutes.

--

+1 link
      Baron Lagavulin
      Baron Lagavulin

7/29/2021
      fishandchips wrote:
      NotaWalrus wrote:
      This was a great event. A few blunders were made, particularly when it comes to that one horse card, but it doesn't eclipse the fact that the event was amazing and really brought the community together.

It was very rushed towards the end, probably not well thought out beforehand.

Also, I do not like the new players vs old players differentiation for completing the 'final' quest. It should solely hinge upon your participation in the main activities of the event itself e.g. digging or feeding.

It's the first time they're doing this, so I assume it isn't an exact science. If they do another one next year, they'll have this year's data to properly calibrate.

I really liked that the rewards differ depending on how much you've been playing FL. Makes it worth the while. Next event, players that didn't get higher level rewards this year, will have a chance to. That is, if they do an event like this again. I hope they do, it was really fun!
      edited by Baron Lagavulin on 7/29/2021

--
      +1 link
      Tsar Koschei
      Tsar Koschei

7/29/2021
      And here we are, at the end.

Edit: oh, Hell. Do I go up or down? Should I observe this from above or below? Choices, choices!
      edited by Tsar Koschei on 7/29/2021

--

+1 link
      fishandchips
      fishandchips

7/29/2021
      May Winter wrote:
      I'm feeling as if I have missed opportunities with this experience. I am chalking it up to my stats being too low to access more interesting events and or the limited time I have to actually play the game.

My stats were maxed but I was a fresh new POSI: no Laboratory, no Railroad, no ship. So I could only dig, and dig some more.
      There was no way for me to build the device.

--
      Add me, delicious ones

+1 link
      Aro Saren
      Aro Saren

7/29/2021
      Went down, see my profile for details.

--
      +1 link
      Huey
      Huey

7/29/2021
      enail wrote:
      Damn. That was beautiful. I genuinely feel like I did something desperately important with my fellow Londoners and that, for this one moment, everything is okay. And "breakfast will not be postponed indefinitely" made me laugh actually out loud.

Indeed! A funny close for a pretty intense climax; a few in-course corrections were clearly overtuned (the undiscardable Cart card) or sorely needed for an event with no warranted preparation (the conversion of top tier items), but for such an experiment it has gone pretty well, although the (accidental) fast pacing of the final steps could come off as pretty alienating for people that can't refresh the game as many times per day as, say, me.

It started like funny spelunking effort in which the stakes were possibly "I want to be sure to explore this site before the event ends" to "oh mother of **** what the **** is happening" in a way that I don't think was available before, which speaks well for the compelling use of World Qualities and this kinds of far-reaching events in general. The Preserver being an Affiliation makes sense and has definitely appropriate stats, and the two Preserver items... I'm excited to see what use they might have, but even if it won't amount to much, they're definitely two kickass mantlepieces (I also echoed the two paths with my characters)

Sooo yeah, the preliminary digging was cool, the explorable sites interesting (I'll definitely play around a bit more now that we've sure to have time) and the climax appropriately intense, although some pacing issue made things a bit weird in certain points.

PS: Like Wojciech, I definitely hope there'll be at least some hint as to what exactly postponed yet another reckoning. It seems we'll have some more closure next week, so definitely hyped for that.
      edited by Huey on 7/29/2021

--
      Huey Nomure (she/her) - Gathered are the candles of saints devoured. A traveler has returned to a corner of sun and intrigue she had lost in her heart. She will always return, but never return. [Gone NORTH]
      The Perky Talespinner (Addressed as Silver, she/they) - Daring adventurer and enthusiastic huntress on both sides of the mirror, kind in a "tough love" sort of way.
      The Mischievous Socialite (Addressed as Advocate or (Lady) Elphisa, she/her) - Hopeless hedonist, always on the prowl for the next caper with a playful little smile on her lips and a worrying glint in her eye.
      +1 link
      NotaWalrus
      NotaWalrus

7/28/2021
      My own hand right now consists of a horse, a merry gentleman, two moods and a discordant ripple. I guess I'll go use up my actions exploring the new places so I can use the ripple

--
      +1 link
      PJ
      PJ

7/30/2021
      In fact, we did not find the thing that they desperately needed. https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Peter%20James/23349690

--
      +1 link
      PJ
      PJ

7/30/2021
      fishandchips wrote:

Also, I do not like the new players vs old players differentiation for completing the 'final' quest. It should solely hinge upon your participation in the main activities of the event itself e.g. digging or feeding.

Wasn't the whole point of digging and feeding to differentiate the new players and the old players?

--
      +1 link
      phryne
      phryne

7/30/2021
      PJ wrote:
      In fact, we did not find the thing that they desperately needed. https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Peter%20James/23349690

Thank you very much. Those echoes do indeed explain everything. I'm not quite sure I like the concept of a tiny percentage of players getting the full lore while everyone else is left guessing. Points for realism though wink

And these are hilarious:
      "The timetable was accelerated considerably, outside of our control," says Pages.
      "By my calculations, Londoners sped up the rate of excavation by several orders of magnitude", mutters Pages, sullenly.

One more thing: could some kind soul please link me to the echoes from the bit with the dream and the Viscountess in the Viric Jungle?
      edited by phryne on 7/30/2021

--
      my accounts, with all 4 Ambitions completed: Bag a LegendLight FingersHeart's DesireNemesisBag a Legend, again
      Exceptional Stories, sorted by season and by writerDestiny Guide
      +1 link
      Mulligan
      Mulligan

7/30/2021
      phryne wrote:
      *snip*
      Here you go.

Overall, I really dug the event. I do think Failbetter succeeded in creating the feeling of a "you had to be there" moment, particularly in regards to the ending. The additional carousels from the event are quite nice, and I especially enjoy the flavour of the spider symposium and the conflict under Old Newgate. Being able to experience the Bazaar's dreams was a treat, so I'll be sure to treasure my Sample of Lacreous Affection. The overall mechanics were good, but I do feel that everything got a bit rushed towards the end. Despite that, the event was a definite success in my book.

P.S. I blame the Viscountess for everything.

--
      +1 link
      Toran
      Toran

7/30/2021
      phryne wrote:
      PJ wrote:

Where the heck did that conversation come from? I had everything else and never saw anything like this. Maybe it's a card I haven't gotten yet...

Oh wait, is this a Mr. Cards thing?
      edited by Toran on 7/30/2021

--
      +1 link
      PJ
      PJ

7/30/2021
      Yup, Mr Cards was privy to the masters real discussion. I haven't even read the version that the other Londoners saw.

And for the record, the snakes have been stealing things from the Stone Pigs' dreams for years. Sunless Sea had a whole quest to build an engine based on plans that the snakes stole from the pigs' dreams.

--
      +1 link
      Kumondo
      Kumondo

7/30/2021
      Decently long time but silent player, popping in to give my two cents on the event. I greatly enjoyed all the event had to offer, and am more excited than ever about Fallen London going forward. The artwork has been lovely, the story snippets have been riveting, the exploration thrilling, and the comradery delightful and heart-warming. I'll echo the critique about the later stages progressing rather quickly, and I hope that not too many players missed out on anything, but I'll also admit that the increasing speed did help the feel of London suddenly dropping out from under our feet.

One particular tidbit I'd like to share, that I noticed just before the Master's device was activated, is that even with only one day to rescue trapped and stranded civilians amidst the earthquakes we had managed to save over 600% of the expected amount! Surely with that many Londoners giving their assistance everyone that was in need had a choice of rescuers!

I also want to thank this thread here, both for tips on the best ways to get biscuits for the hungry diggers and the like, as well as consolidating the lore uncovered along the way. Each of you here deserves a pat on the back.

My one regret is that I had been thinking of making an alternate character for a while, and I should have made it at the start of the event; what fun would it be to have a backstory as a humble digger, before tumbling headlong into the Neath's mysteries?

I am greatly looking forward to giving a thorough poking about into the newly opened holes now that the dust has settled. My two remaining questions though, are thus: What is the Theologian of the Old School going to do with all those brass-skulled skeletons, and what am I going to do with all these leftover biscuits?
      +1 link
      Plynkes
      Plynkes

7/30/2021
      I thought the whole thing was great, definitely the way forward for events. I don't even really have the minor complaints others have voiced. The frenetic pace was exciting, but I was lucky in that I was able to dip in to the game at various points during each day, so I didn't get left behind. I can see how it would be disappointing to find you had missed great chunks of the action through not being able to do that, though.

And the weird, confusing story that was only picked up in pieces and not by everybody? Well, I am used to FL lore being arcane and impenetrable, I guess. Often at the end of an ES I am left scratching my head and thinking 'well, what the hell was that all about?' I am no stranger to feeling utterly lost in FL lore.

--
      +1 link
      phryne
      phryne

7/29/2021
      It was the Masters who got us digging. The digging then stirred the Stone Pigs. That threatened London, so the Masters had to save it.

With their knowledge, the Masters kinda had to see this coming when they got us digging.

Am I the only one thinking that this whole thing was basically a PR stunt by the Masters in order to look good as saviours of the city? Initiating a natural disaster and then expecting to be celebrated for averting it seems in line with their weird way of thinking.

If not, then I'm at a loss as to what the point of the whole digging exercise would've been. It's not like we found anything the Masters desperately needed, or did we?

Unless the Bazaar was so desperately unhappy and about to do something bad** they had to come up with something on the quick. In that case, well done I guess? Though I begin to actually feel bad for the Bazaar for being constantly duped into thinking something might come out of this experiment after all. Poor old lovesick crab.

**Take flight and leave them behind because they couldn't fulfill their contract?
      edited by phryne on 7/29/2021

--
      my accounts, with all 4 Ambitions completed: Bag a LegendLight FingersHeart's DesireNemesisBag a Legend, again
      Exceptional Stories, sorted by season and by writerDestiny Guide
      +1 link
      lady ciel
      lady ciel

7/30/2021
      Overall I enjoyed this. I was confused at times and didn't realise that the Dreams of Immobility gave more information (or would disappear so soon), thanks to all those who linked to the outcome.

Like the new equipment, some good stats for everyone.

Now to explore the new areas and catch up on some things I haven't got around to - mainly Railway; Ambition and the new Zailing. So many things to do and choices to be madesmile

Also looking forward to whatever comes next year.

--

+1 link
      c-schroed
      c-schroed

7/30/2021
      I also loved the festival, especially because for me it made a splendid turn from "Hey, we just want to try out some new overarching features and maybe also introduce a few new places for grinding." to "Actutally, this will take you deep into Fallen London's lore. Oh, and remember that new dream quality that came out of nowhere? Yes, that's important now. Like, right now!" Very well done, Failbetter!

I have a theory to add, by the way (sorry if someone else already posted it). It contains a medium Sunless Sea spoiler, just so you know.
      [spoiler]Could this "truffle" that the Stone Pigs seek be related to the Cladery Heart from the Cladery Heir's questline in Sunless Sea? If I recall correctly, this ship was made from some kind of organ that the Cladery Heir's mother had cut away from the Bazaar, to ensure that the Bazaar would stay below. I think the organ was described as an urge to travel on or so. For me, this sounds exactly like something that the Stone Pigs would want to have (or rather have back?).[/spoiler]

--
      Cattus Schroedingeris, the Consulting Explorer, scientist and railway entrepreneur, at your service!

Kitty Schroedingeris, the Plot-weaving Minx, his Cousin, who is always plotting something.

"Always look to love. Always."
      +1 link
      Diptych
      Diptych
      Administrator

7/30/2021
      If that's what they were looking for, then [spoiler]I had it all along. Sorry![/spoiler]

--
      +1 link