Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

Hurlers Messages in this topic - RSS

Aro Saren
Aro Saren

2/21/2021
Discussion go here.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Andre%20Alexin
Will accept only something interesting.
0 link
NotaWalrus
NotaWalrus

4/23/2021
Plynkes wrote:
Is there a card? I didn't get a card. Something popped up in my messages tab that told me I could continue in the Side Streets.

Oh, and I know it is my own fault, and I really should pay more attention. But who is the Sleeping Merchant again? I swear, I can't keep this convoluted FL lore in my head for anything above twenty seconds. I've had this problem for the entire time I've played this game, and have been playing it for many years.

Okay so basically

[spoiler] this first city merchant was a really good lad but got very into debt once the first city fell. Somehow it acquired the Seal of the Bazaar which allowed it to make deals on the Bazaar's behalf. He went to some strange western power (who we know as the Creditor) and took out a loan, offering to pay it back with some value multiplied for every soul in the Neath. The Creditor agreed to it. The problem is that the merchant did not know that there were other souls in the Neath, so neither he nor the Bazaar could actually afford to pay that debt, so the Masters decided to keep the whole affair secret from the crab and entombed the merchant for eternity.

At least for eternity until we started building railway in the west, which disturbed the Creditor (who was also sleeping?). So the Creditor sent its Solicitor (the deviless) to let everyone know that the debt is due and that the Creditor is gonna wake up the merchant so that he can collect the debt (or something, it's a bit needlessly convoluted).
Fortunately for us the unpayable debt turns out to be very easy to pay. As soon as the Bazaar learns that it is in the red, it just mints a bunch of really nice coins with our input and buries them under some tree in Jericho. The woken-up merchant makes good on the promise it made on the Bazaar's behalf, and the Manager of the Royal Beth is also there because first city.[/spoiler]

If you ask me, the whole thing kinda feels like the Efficient Comissioner has been undergoing a whole Ambition-level plot and we're a minor NPC that appears towards the end to give her the Cedar Seed that we randomly stole a while back and also help out a bit with the coins.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/NotaWalrus
Ignacious, the Fluid Professor, he will accept most social invitations, including boxed cats and affluent photographers (but only betrayals), though he is absent-minded and might take more time than entirely necessary. He apologizes.
+7 link
Mulligan
Mulligan

4/24/2021
Snort wrote:
And the point to burning more is ...?
Not sure there is much of a point. The game states, once you've done it, that the gesture is entirely symbolic and only means something to you. It seems to be one of those FL moments where you can just hurt yourself for no real reason beyond seeing a bit of text. If you did get a quality for doing so, I didn't see it and I burnt around 6500+ scrip. EDIT: Nevermind. Checked the wiki and cross referenced my Myself tab, lo and behold there is a quality. I'm probably just blind. Still don't know if there's much of a point, but at least that's something.

NotaWalrus wrote:
If you ask me, the whole thing kinda feels like the Efficient Comissioner has been undergoing a whole Ambition-level plot and we're a minor NPC that appears towards the end to give her the Cedar Seed that we randomly stole a while back and also help out a bit with the coins.
And to be honest, I love it. It gives the feeling of a more involved world and lends a sense of importance to NPCs that should be important. Being a commissioner that has access to the Tragedy Procedures and knows the truth behind the Bazaar and the Masters seems like it should be a big deal and the person entrusted with such a role should be very capable. Although these revelations about her character only come very briefly at the end, it was nice to see another character getting involved in the story. Considering I've seen quite a few people complain about their motivations for doing something in exceptional stories, and been among those people myself, It's nice to see the writers decide that there is very little reason for our characters to go out of their way to do something this big for the Bazaar and just have one of their characters do so while still involving us in some way. Could it have been done better? Probably, but I like the direction.
edited by Mulligan on 4/24/2021

--
Jean Morel, waiting for December.
More than happy to help with menaces.
Licentiate for hire, will murder for Rostygold.
+6 link
Captain Blood Storm
Captain Blood Storm

4/26/2021
Tsar Koschei wrote:
Toran wrote:
Huh, I’m really glad I put the Commissioner back on the board. That was oddly touching at the end.
I was not touched. I felt rather put out by it all. I let her know about it. We are no longer on speaking terms.

You know, it’s funny-I shared your exact opinion RIGHT UP UNTIL the Commissioner started explaining what she went through, given I spent most of Railway having her kicked off the board. I mean, “touched” is a REALLY strong word consdiering I was genuinely hoping to brawl with her personally in the opening fight but honestly hearing about how she was embarking on her own adventures to pursue her goal impressed me enough because I was genuinely convinced she was in it for some underhanded reward from the Bazaar. Knowing that she was willing to try to be a FL player character to see this through did wonders for my opinion on her.

--
Captain Blood Storm, the Discordant and Twice-Dawnburnt Vake Rider https://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/Hattington
+3 link
idyl
idyl

4/26/2021
Tsar Koschei wrote:
Separate Übergoat statue option confirmed. I haven't got a heptagoat, but I'd hazard a guess it's there.
Correct, there's an option to put up a statue honouring your Heptagoat.

--
“Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est"
+3 link
Feldon Smithe
Feldon Smithe

4/27/2021
I will force my stove to come home to keep my new imp company. I'm really enjoying the story in this one.

And I absolutely did not witness a terrible game of Hurlers between teams one and two composed of goat-demons. It certainly did not take place within the Adulterine Castle accessible when you open your eyes on the frozen lake. I absolutely did not gamble on who would lose, since gambling is not allowed. Lastly, I most definitely did not cheat in the sporting match that did not happen.

I just don’t understand why, when I stopped the Disembarked Deviless from reading the stones that it did not give me the +1 Steward of the Discordance that it promised me. I wonder if this is some error or I am just confused.

--
Feldon Smithe, Fellow Londoner, https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/FeldonSmithe
Possessor of the Mythical Elixir, Caretaker of the Goat of Seven into Seven into Seven, and Model for the Chelicerous Sculptor's Masterwork
+3 link
Tsar Koschei
Tsar Koschei

7/16/2021
Baron Lagavulin wrote:
getting all the stats back up tires me so much that it's not worth it, for me.
I mean, it mostly just happens by itself while you're doing other stuff. And while you're in the process of building back the single lost skill point per stat, you don't exactly tend to feel the loss of it much. Every now and then if I've fallen behind I read a few letters, like just now when the max irrigo set me back two points instead of one, so I read a letter per stat to bring them all straight up by one point. But I don't really find it to be much of a struggle, generally speaking.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Tsar%20Koschei

Sanguine Ribbon Society tournament champion.

No plant battles, loitering, coffee at Caligula's or Affluent Photographer, please.
+3 link
BillyCosmos!
BillyCosmos!

7/17/2021
I could use a missive myself, and would be overjoyed to send anything in return. Hopefully I’ll remember to stay in London.

On a related note, wouldn’t it be nice if there was a way to tell if your contacts were still playing? I had to cross my fingers when withdrawing patronage from someone so my influence would be low enough to make new friends.

Edit: wow, just accidentally reported myself for moderation. I must be a jerk.
edited by BillyCosmos! on 7/17/2021

--
Overjoyed to finally have a decent secretary to take dictation. Even if it is a somewhat more mushroomy sort of secretary than one might be used to.

Dictated, thuroughly read.
William, "Billy" Cosmos, the !
+2 link
Tsar Koschei
Tsar Koschei

4/26/2021
Separate Übergoat statue option confirmed. I haven't got a heptagoat, but I'd hazard a guess it's there.

--

No plant battles, loitering, coffee at Caligula's or Affluent Photographer, please.
+2 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

2/22/2021
First things first, Wikipedia link for the real Hurlers, which are an actual stone circle in England. Of note, the legend that they can't be counted.

From Conversation with Furnace, it would seem Cornelius' condition (and Furnace's?) is directly a result of him attempting to read the inscriptions on the Hurlers.

When asking the Hell-Scarred Gondolier about territories west from his card, three of his responses are about the Hurlers. One cautions not to count the stones, lest you be counted (see above). A second mentions goat-demons. The third I reproduce in full:

Hell-Scarred Gondlier wrote:
"It's cold at the Hurlers," he says. "And there is a castle under the ice, built without permission. A castle built out of the absence of permission. It is there because it must not be there."

In the very specific circumstances that you decide on Hellish architecture for your station at Moulin, and Furnace is on your board, she will also mention the presence of goat-demons at the Hurlers.

So yes, goat-demons and discordance stones. Both of those features of the Hurlers are attested by two different characters. And, uh, not being counted.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/PSGarak
+2 link
Winthropx
Winthropx

4/21/2021
I’m thrown off by how human the bazaar seems and how mad it is at the masters now.

--
Bishop Winthrop, a kind-hearted soul
A Paramount Presence
I accept all social actions
His Appearance
http://community.failbettergames.com/topic9363-your-characters-appearances.aspx?messageid=229809&Page=10#post#post229809
+2 link
NotaWalrus
NotaWalrus

4/23/2021
Spoilers for this story ahoy

[spoiler]
This story felt a little weird. We've been building up this plotline about the debt pretty much since the railroad started, and now we just kinda suddenly solve it more or less in a day after the Masters randomly barge in and demand we solve it. The stakes were also placed way too high for this one. Now it is canonical that our PC has been instrumental for saving the Bazaar from a thousand-year-old debt that the space crab had no ability to pay... until the game arbitrarily decided that yes, it can pay it, actually. It just has to print out some really nice coins.

Paying this debt seems to be something of a historical event. The stakes are Ambition-worthy, if not higher than all four ambitions combined, but in the end it's very easy to solve it. Just had to mint some coins, wake up some dude in Parabola, and perform a little ritual in Jericho. Why was everyone so worried about it, at all?
[/spoiler]

--
Ignacious, the Fluid Professor, he will accept most social invitations, including boxed cats and affluent photographers (but only betrayals), though he is absent-minded and might take more time than entirely necessary. He apologizes.
+2 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

4/23/2021
Aro Saren wrote:
And January is confirmed to be a Jew. Although she's an anarchist, not a communist.

What do you mean? Lots of Jewish folks have been admired and respected contributors to the anarchist cause.

--
Sir Frederick, the Emancipationist Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
+2 link
Plynkes
Plynkes

4/23/2021
Is there a card? I didn't get a card. Something popped up in my messages tab that told me I could continue in the Side Streets.

Oh, and I know it is my own fault, and I really should pay more attention. But who is the Sleeping Merchant again? I swear, I can't keep this convoluted FL lore in my head for anything above twenty seconds. I've had this problem for the entire time I've played this game, and have been playing it for many years.

--
"Then tell Wind and Fire where to stop, but don't tell me."
+2 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

4/24/2021
At least there's an explanation somewhere, even though I missed it because I had her talk to Dr Vaughan.

I was hoping for a little more in terms of lasting effects. I'm glad there are text changes in Jericho, and especially the Octogonal Tomb itself. I was hoping to find something different or new underneath the Magistracy, but so far I have not.

Do we think the Creditor storyline is now fully done? That's been one of the primary driving narratives of the Railway as a whole, and I wasn't expecting that to conclude before we reached the end of the line. I suppose now the narrative is the Discordance and the TLU. Unless this ice-castle happens to be Hillchanger's second cousin or something, and we have to get the band back together.

--
+2 link
Mr J
Mr J

4/28/2021
Hattington wrote:
Hoping against hope, has anyone discovered the fabled means to raise Steward of the Discordance above 3 that apparently involves downgrading some other traits? Stumped where to go after “Nothing more to learn”, what’s that about getting seals from the castle that isn’t there?

edited by Hattington on 4/28/2021

I think so, or at least it depends at which point you are and what you mean.
I found a way to earn a couple more points of SotD over 3 (though not up to 4 yet, must be at 3.2, and I can't remember where I got those points...), but I do not think this is what you mean.

[spoiler]
You want to unlock Discordant Studies and start your training with the Steward of the Discordance.

From your statement, you already got a Discordant Law from reading the Stones, and the correct levels of Crystalline Knowledge (6).

From that point :
- (optional) go back to the Steward of Discordance to "Discuss the Discordant Law" to learn how you can remove this law
- Go to the Cave of the Nadir, in order to draw a super frequent card which will enable you to remove the law and unlock the Discordant Studies
- Go back to the Steward of Discordance to start this tortuous path

Anything beyond that should stay secret as requested by FBG.

I'm at this point and waiting for my candle to refresh before going further.
[/spoiler]

Hope this answers your question.
edited by Mr J on 4/28/2021

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Mr%20J
+2 link
Aro Saren
Aro Saren

4/29/2021
PM'ed.

--
+2 link
Tsar Koschei
Tsar Koschei

4/29/2021
I am DETERMINED to get a success on the Caveat Emptor option of the Don't Perform Research card. Four failures so far on a ~20% chance, but I won't stay in this damn castle flipping cards for as long as it doesn't take.

Got it on my seventh try. Slightly underwhelming, but not altogether uninteresting. Definitely not viable from an earnings standpoint.
edited by Tsar Koschei on 4/29/2021

--

+2 link
Rostygold
Rostygold

4/29/2021
Thus far, I am relying on the "Game Instructions" statements to guide me, since most of the story text is just a headache-inducing mess of bullhonkey.

I do hope that these are not red herrings.

Also, black.png, black.png, black.png. Good grief.
edited by Rostygold on 4/29/2021
+2 link
Rostygold
Rostygold

4/30/2021
Also, a tip to everyone here: if you have the Carnivorous Auroch from last year's Whitsun, you will want to spend a lot of time playing with it.

P.S. The Aurochs don't seem to be related to the Goat-Demons. I have yet to come across any story that mentions any relation, and there are no new non-Fate options that make use of the non-Fate Aurochs sub-species.
edited by Rostygold on 4/30/2021
+1 link
34Witches
34Witches

5/1/2021
Baron Lagavulin wrote:
Thanks, but I've already done this. And
[snipped spoiler]

Oh, I see. In that case, just
[spoiler]do the same thing you did to get to the Upper Castle, but with at least 5 Nightmares. That will send you to the Lower Castle.[/spoiler]

edited by 34Witches on 5/1/2021
edit: spoiler tags are one per post (so if you're quoting someone else you'll need to remove their spoiler tag if you want to use one of your own)

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/34Witches
+1 link
34Witches
34Witches

5/1/2021
Baron Lagavulin wrote:
[snipped spoiler]

Correct, that should do it.

[spoiler] When you entered the Upper Castle for the first time, you opened a seal (the Nth Seal, where N was your Nightmares and your Number). This should suggest that you should try entering the castle with different levels of Nightmares, in order to open more seals. (so the existence of numbered seals [and the manner by which you opened your first one] should be a hint) [/spoiler]

--
+1 link
Alexander Feld
Alexander Feld

5/1/2021
So, I'm at the point where the Deviless is about to try reading the stones. Is what I choose here at all important to the Discordance storyline? Is there a reason to have a -SotD item, or should I just stop her reading them?

--
I am a star-gazer, story-eater, and a smelter of words.

I filch hidden things from hidden places, to hide once more in my dark cabinet of curiosities

Alexander Feld, the mad, damned, lord of seekers.
+1 link
Sagrim-Ur
Sagrim-Ur

5/2/2021
You know, I'm looking at the posts here and wondering whether I really want to continue with what really looks like a headbanging exercise. I mean, the imp is cute, but if it's indicative of the rewards to follow, the game's not worth the candle, is it?

Not everyone would want to take this step. Indeed, there's no reason to take it. No reason whatsoever.

The Stewards of the Discordance would say: Do not do this.
+1 link
34Witches
34Witches

5/3/2021
Hattington wrote:
I have a question that I...don’t think DIRECTLY pertains to the Discordance spoiler stuff since I’ve finished it with encountering it. On someone’s mantelpiece, I dimly remember seeing an interaction with the Caprine Vagabound where instead of just ruminating with ruminants, he shows you a book and tells you a little about the history of the goat demons before the Devils came. Does anyone know how to unlock that interaction? All I managed a while back was to keep ruminating with the ruminants.

I believe the interaction you have depends on which Discordant Law you have (or if you have one at all). You'll need Frozen Thoughts to get that one, I think.

--
+1 link
Alexander Feld
Alexander Feld

5/6/2021
Alexander Feld wrote:

I seem to be having the exact same problem. Any idea what you did to fix it?

Ah, I figured it out. Exactly 0; -1 does not count.

--
I am a star-gazer, story-eater, and a smelter of words.

I filch hidden things from hidden places, to hide once more in my dark cabinet of curiosities

Alexander Feld, the mad, damned, lord of seekers.
+1 link
Scona
Scona

5/6/2021
A quick simulation shows that you save on average ~20 actions with the fidgeting writer (140sh) compared to the museum (160ish), but if the gods of RNG do not favour you the advantage is quickly lost

Tsar Koschei wrote:
Aro Saren wrote:
You can buy a coruscating at the museum of souls for a metric ton of other souls.
Is that actually significantly better than the fidgeting writer option? Has anyone run the numbers? At a glance the cost is pretty dire.
+1 link
Baron Lagavulin
Baron Lagavulin

5/6/2021
By the way, to anyone wondering if all the pain doing this was worth it: Yes. Yes it was.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Baron Lagavulin
+1 link
Captain Blood Storm
Captain Blood Storm

5/6/2021
I know most of the Hurlers stuff is supposed to be under tight wraps, but after finally biting the bullet and getting myself some Veils-Velvet I've found a very specific and out of the way interaction that may be of interest to those that have completed Bag a Legend. Suffice to say that however it was accomplished, killing the Vake will NOT go unnoticed.

https://imgur.com/a/tbKtup1

--
Captain Blood Storm, the Discordant and Twice-Dawnburnt Vake Rider https://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/Hattington
+1 link
Mr J
Mr J

5/6/2021
@Tsar Koschei : you asked earlier about a card unlocked with the Immaterial Material :
[spoiler] It unlocks an option on one of the cards drawn in the Adulterine Castle (Laundry Day). You can get a few whisper satn scraps with it.

The Discordant Stone also unlocks an option with an Adulterine card (again and again). It enables to get a memory of an anchorhold, which is nice to be able to visit the Anchoress without losing some more stats... I need to check the options she provides to see if any is particularly worth it.
[/spoiler]

If anyone needs a Discordant Missive, send me a calling card asking for one. It might not work after a while since I'm almost full in influence, but I'll answer while I can.
edited by Mr J on 5/6/2021

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Mr%20J
+1 link
PJ
PJ

5/16/2021
There are other things to do besides count stones. Specifically, [spoiler]meditate with the Anchoress[/spoiler]

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Peter%20James
+1 link
enail
enail

5/27/2021
Agh, I'm stuck. I've read this whole thread and as far as I can tell, I've followed all the advice for others stuck at this point and I Just. Can't. Get it.

[spoiler]I've completed seals 2-8 and I'm trying to get 1. I've meditated on the lower principles and used up the Impossible Theorem, meditated with the Anchoress and died (twice! I thought maybe that would help somehow), gone back to the Hurlers, left the Hurlers to see if that sets the count for the Lower Circle to 0, refreshed my page, gone back to the Castle and looked everywhere for new options, and nothing is doing it. Any additional guidance on how on earth I get the Number That's Not In My Head to 1?? [/spoiler]
+1 link
Tsar Koschei
Tsar Koschei

5/27/2021
Yeah, it's important to notice when you're actually repeating the same thing and when it's different each time you do it.

--

+1 link
menaulon
menaulon

6/14/2021
El Mar wrote:
Bit late to the party, but having...

[spoiler] You are missing one of the numbers, which seems to be 1. Meeting the Anchoress with the complete Lower circle will allow you to remove counting the Lower Circle and set it to 0, which then makes it possible to get Number That's Not In Your Head of 1 and then unlock the First Seal with Nightmares of 1 the same way you've done the others.
[/spoiler]
edited by menaulon on 6/14/2021

--
Menaulon
Open to social actions, but would prefer to be betrayed in the search for Photographer.
+1 link
Maxi Reigl
Maxi Reigl

7/6/2021
I will also here reaffirm my willingness to send out Discordant Missives to those who need them.
Just send me a Calling Card and you can enjoy your very own Madness-Letter today!

--
Gotthard Redlich -http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Gotthard%20Redlich
Midnighter and Shattering Force
Sending out Discordant Missives on request. Please remember to send me a Calling Card first, as that is required for the Missive.
+1 link
Mulligan
Mulligan

7/9/2021
Sir Reginald Monteroy wrote:
I am also quite curious as to what happens once you go to Nadir with Steward 7 and a Discordant Law. If you were the first one, we have about 4 days before we know, right?

I hope you're not stuck with the last Law you get, but I kind of doubt that since the card requires only the Law to be drawn.
I believe it was mentioned somewhere else on the forums that you get a discordant soul when you remove the law at the Nadir while you have max SotD. I'll be able to confirm that in roughly 12 hours.

EDIT: yep, 1 discordant soul per week now. I've echoed the result, if anyone's impatient to see it.
edited by Mulligan on 7/9/2021

--
Jean Morel, waiting for December.
More than happy to help with menaces.
Licentiate for hire, will murder for Rostygold.
+1 link
Tsar Koschei
Tsar Koschei

7/15/2021
Nadir visits are still pretty worth it just for the loot.

--

+1 link
PJ
PJ

7/15/2021
Yeah, best part of all the caps getting to 15+ is that I could go back to the Nadir without permanent stat loss.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Peter%20James
+1 link
Sir Reginald Monteroy
Sir Reginald Monteroy

7/15/2021
Indeed. And for some reason, I was always very intrigued by the writing and atmosphere of Nadir. I was very happy to be able to safely return to one of my all-time favourite areas in the game.

--
Sir Reginald Monteroy, the Obsessive Professor
Paramount Glassman of the Ancient Regime, Courier's Footprint, Poet-Laureate, Defender of Public Safety, Cider owner, Thirteenth Month. Inordinately fond of weasels. Consummate Academic. Compulsively editing his posts.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Sir Reginald Monteroy

If you desire a sip of Hesperidean Cider, PM me in the game.

Rotsternchen, an up-and-rising Socialite, Demi-Monde-Sipping Lepidopteran, New Regime Silverer and Symboliste. The titular orchid of Blutrote Orchidee. Weimar-era Decadent in the making.
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Rotsternchen
+1 link
Lady Karnstein
Lady Karnstein

7/15/2021
Yeah honestly I found I weirdly missed the Nadir with Caroline when I started going back for Discordance related reasons. It's so melancholic, and mysterious. I am glad to be able to go without having to grind out 15 Notability after the trip.

--
Lady Caroline Karnstein, The Moral Hedonist (Description)
Infamous writer, artist, and courtesan. Unrepentant Invert. Hesperidean.
Paramount Presence, Correspondent, Nocturnal. Poet Laureate of the Neath, Ambassador to Arbor
+1 link
Tsar Koschei
Tsar Koschei

7/16/2021
Yep, like you guys pointed out, replacing overcapping with cap raises was hugely valuable for this. I didn't visit the Nadir for ages, but now I'd never miss it. I just pulled the maximum stat loss from a visit (11 irrigo), but couldn't care less since I got two searing enigmas out of it.

--

+1 link
Feldon Smithe
Feldon Smithe

7/16/2021
Tsar Koschei wrote:
Yep, like you guys pointed out, replacing overcapping with cap raises was hugely valuable for this. I didn't visit the Nadir for ages, but now I'd never miss it. I just pulled the maximum stat loss from a visit (11 irrigo), but couldn't care less since I got two searing enigmas out of it.

I got the same this time. Irrigo 11, with 2 Searing Enigmas, 1 Fecund Amber, 1 Discordant Soul, and 1 Irrigo Box. I gave up going to the cave a long time ago because of the capping problem. I even did a second round of maxed-out renown just to re-raise them after going on some unplanned lark. It's nice to have unhampered access again and the irrigo is fine.

--
Feldon Smithe, Fellow Londoner, https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/FeldonSmithe
Possessor of the Mythical Elixir, Caretaker of the Goat of Seven into Seven into Seven, and Model for the Chelicerous Sculptor's Masterwork
+1 link
NotaWalrus
NotaWalrus

4/24/2021
Unrelated to the Commissioner's Tale. I laid track while keeping an eye out for bones and it failed to redirect me to the storylet where I cash out paleontological discoveries. I still have the discoveries in my profile. Seems like a bug.

--
+1 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

4/24/2021
I don't know if it's a bug or not, but I'm grateful for it. I was planning on just banking the Discoveries anyways, so I was happy not to have to spend the extra action to decline rushing over to the bone market.

--
+1 link
Captain Blood Storm
Captain Blood Storm

4/24/2021
Waterpls wrote:
Aro Saren wrote:

Commissioner in her adventures sounds like an absolute badass nerd, and that's pretty cool.

And yes, I like the point that PC isn't the axis of the world others are spinning around, and other characters can have their own stories off-screen.

Yeah, this is nice touch. But her misadventures are like a 2% of what PC experienced in the past and she is already burned out, depressed and on the brink of nervous breakdown. Makes our PC even more overpowered omnipotent Mary/Marty Sue in comparison.

This. The FL PC can get as Connected to Fingerkings as much as they like, and still be requested for help from the cats. The FL PC can get away with royally pissing off Mr. Spices by drugging it up in an ES, compel a confession from Mr. Wines with the Correspondence without fear of retaliation or become the Bloody-Handed Queen's new champion. The FL PC can take vengeance on Mr. Cup, bring a half-human half-Miser being into the world, win the right to be anointed the next Master of the Bazaar or shred apart the Vake except for the aspect that agrees to support them.

I'm all for NPCs having their own lives to live, and I do like the Commissioner getting her own arc even if you kick her from the Board. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm considering putting her back on. While there are a few I'd peg as being on another level from PCs I wouldn't say the Commissioner is one of them. And most of them are Masters, or y'know-December, who Sunless Skies implies is literally a higher order of being by the Great Chain's reckoning.

--
+1 link
Grouchybeast
Grouchybeast

4/24/2021
Hattington wrote:
I kinda figure that all the reward, if it exists, will transpire at the final stop at Hell. Mostly I'm just nervous if the insane Heptagoat breeders are gonna get something nobody else will have a hope of. With the best grind my lazy braincells can focus on, I can afford an Ubergoat at best come the hour.

It would be funnier if getting to the last stops on the Railway gave the player an alternative way to get Cider and a Heptagoat. After all, the Railway has been handing out far more accessible options for the big ticket relicker items, so why shouldn't the big two echo grinds get the same treatment in the final stations?

Hmm...the blog post about The Hurlers does mention goat demons...

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Elizabeth%20Malroye
+1 link
Aro Saren
Aro Saren

4/24/2021
I would like to aggree, but this misses the point: scrap-less features let you nor rely on luck to grind the scraps, instead simply wasting lots of actions and resources. On the other hand, goats and cider require only echoes, which can be reliably ground in many ways.

Also, it would be plausible for Hurlers statue to require goats. Yes, even Heptagoat would make sense this way.
edited by Aro Saren on 4/24/2021

--
+1 link
NotaWalrus
NotaWalrus

4/25/2021
Grouchybeast wrote:
Aro Saren wrote:
I would like to aggree, but this misses the point: scrap-less features let you nor rely on luck to grind the scraps, instead simply wasting lots of actions and resources. On the other hand, goats and cider require only echoes, which can be reliably ground in many ways.

On the third tentacle, FB seem to spend a fair amount on time on tweaking and balancing echo grinds. The largest driving forces behind min-maxing long-term echo grinding are probably goats and cider. Giving those two goals alternate achievement paths would relieve the pressure on players to feel they need to focus on echo grinding efficiency over everything else. Imagine, for example, a time-gated activity like board meetings or castellen gifts, that if repeated over an appropriate period delivered goats or cider. They'd still take time to achieve, but they wouldn't end up being the only thing that players did with their moves every day.

Other vanity grinds like Renown 40/50/55, Scholar of the Correspondence, Poet Laurate, Defender of Public Safety, Parabolan Sceptres,tier 8 items, etc already fulfill that purpose. None are as long as Cider/Goat, but they're already there.

--
+1 link
Captain Blood Storm
Captain Blood Storm

4/23/2021
Plynkes wrote:

No no there isn’t a card, that was me misremembering. You do get a message to your email telling you to continue it automatically in the Bazaar Side-Streets if your have those alerts set up, though. Also I am slowly realising that living in another timezone means I get all the FL updates slower than everyone else here.

Also the Sleeping Merchant is the caravan trader fellow who got into too much debt, was taken pity on by the Creditor and inadvertently imprisoned by the Bazaar to prevent it from being obliged to fulfil a debt it couldn’t afford to pay out on i.e. the lives of it’s current city. You first get to visit the man’s tomb at Jericho Locks but he’s alluded to in the Commissioner’s nightmare a bit earlier than that I think. You can also visit the throne room in which he knelt before the Creditor with the Bazaar’s seal in the Magistracy’s depths.

--
+1 link
Lady Karnstein
Lady Karnstein

4/23/2021
Aro Saren wrote:

Old RL conspirological stuff about communism being a Jewish plot to undermine everyone else.

I am lost how does antisemitism relate to anything here?
edited by Lady Karnstein on 4/23/2021

--
Lady Caroline Karnstein, The Moral Hedonist (Description)
Infamous writer, artist, and courtesan. Unrepentant Invert. Hesperidean.
Paramount Presence, Correspondent, Nocturnal. Poet Laureate of the Neath, Ambassador to Arbor
+1 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

4/22/2021
Once you have at least one Conceptual Breakthrough, you can return to the Bazaar Sidestreets and use it to start designing currency. Once you have at least one design feature, you can pitch it to the Creditor's Solicitor.

--
Sir Frederick, the Emancipationist Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
+1 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

4/22/2021
Impressive dedication to foreshadowing. Chekhov's gun has been hanging over the fireplace for nine months, with barely any notice given to it. But the pay-off was worth the wait.
[spoiler]And by gun I mean viol.[/spoiler]
edited by PSGarak on 4/22/2021

--
+1 link
idyl
idyl

4/22/2021
PSGarak wrote:
The rubbery euphonium. If there are others, I didn’t see them.
Theres also an option for the Irresistible Drum, if we're talking about the same thing.

--
“Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est"
+1 link
Toran
Toran

2/22/2021
People with heptagoats don't deserve anything nice. Not like the fancy people with cider.

--
I have a Hepta-Goat. Do you have a Hepta-Goat?
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Anthony%20Toran
+1 link
DTravel
DTravel

2/23/2021
Toran wrote:
People with heptagoats don't deserve anything nice. Not like the fancy people with cider.

Says the gentleman with a heptagoat. What about cider bearing heptagoats?

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Dimensional%20Traveler
+1 link
Plynkes
Plynkes

4/26/2021
Interesting. It seems both options to venture out in to the cold require an item I picked up during my ambition. This can't be a Light-Fingers-only storylet I don't imagine, so I suppose if you don't have that item you see something else. It's funny how sometimes FL shows you the options unavailable to you with the lacking qualities or items greyed out, and sometimes it just straight-up hides the options that aren't available to you. Is there a rule for which method they use that I haven't picked up on, or is it just random?

--
+1 link
Tsar Koschei
Tsar Koschei

7/17/2021
BillyCosmos! wrote:
wow, just accidentally reported myself for moderation. I must be a jerk.
I do that constantly. Bet the mods love me.

--

+1 link
Perlino the Thief
Perlino the Thief

7/18/2021
BillyCosmos! wrote:
On a related note, wouldn’t it be nice if there was a way to tell if your contacts were still playing? I had to cross my fingers when withdrawing patronage from someone so my influence would be low enough to make new friends.

It's pretty hit-or-miss, but if I want to know if someone's actively playing, I check if I can see when the last entry was added to their journal/profile page. If I ever had to guess who to drop, I'd pick the one who had the oldest visible last entry.

--
"The Clay Men say 'THEY PAID ME IN COIN THAT PLOTTED MY DOWNFALL.' Little do they know, all coin does that."
-Azora Perlino, Ginger-Haired Gypsy and Rooftop Sybarite
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Azora%20Perlino
+1 link
amalgamate
amalgamate

4/27/2021
Aiza Moor wrote:
Is there a way to go back and fill a mirrorcatch box with Gant if you missed it the first time? The text seemed to imply I could get back to that location later, but I must have misread that because I can't find it.

The one when dealing with the Sleeping Merchant in Parabola, with the Manager and the Commissioner?

It's a fakeout option. It doesn't fill the mirrorcatch box with gant.

--
http://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/amalgamate

Social invitations of all kinds welcome! Deadly sparring, plant battles, etc.

Send me an in-game connection request if you need a discordant missive or a point of notability, or if there's some letters you want to trade.
+1 link
Waterpls
Waterpls

4/27/2021
Now I need to grind Master Thief for ~2 days. Nobody predicted this quality for Hurlers preparations.

--
Long grinds: Saddle 26/200; Hellworm Done; Narcissistic Statues 9/9; Heptagoat Done; Cider Done
+1 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

4/27/2021
Do we think that the Anchoress is The Anchoress? There's still apparently more for me to discover in the Castle, but the text for her statue is making the connection.

--
+1 link
Waterpls
Waterpls

4/27/2021
https://fallenlondon.wiki/wiki/Blog:Asarta/A_second_Announcement_regarding_Hurler_puzzles

--
Long grinds: Saddle 26/200; Hellworm Done; Narcissistic Statues 9/9; Heptagoat Done; Cider Done
+1 link
Captain Blood Storm
Captain Blood Storm

4/28/2021
Based on my experiences in Parabola, I think it's safe to say that UNLESS the check is at 80% or above, the percentiles for given options in the game are like the mathematics involved in studying the Discordance: An occasionally helpful delusion that doesn't actually have anything to do with the subject matter at all.

--
+1 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

4/26/2021
Plynkes wrote:
Interesting. It seems both options to venture out in to the cold require an item I picked up during my ambition. This can't be a Light-Fingers-only storylet I don't imagine, so I suppose if you don't have that item you see something else. It's funny how sometimes FL shows you the options unavailable to you with the lacking qualities or items greyed out, and sometimes it just straight-up hides the options that aren't available to you. Is there a rule for which method they use that I haven't picked up on, or is it just random?

I believe the default in Storynexus is that if the requirement is more than you have then it's visible, but if it's less than you have then it's not. This lets you see what you need to accomplish to unlock the next step, while (usually) hiding the parts of the story that you've already played. However these are merely defaults, and can be overriden.

I think one general rule is that they hide options which you can never qualify for. Which is what the LF option is doing in this case. It's not possible for a player to lose their Everlasting candle, if you have one you will never be eligible for the non-Candle options, so there's no reason to show them.

As an aside, the Everlasting candle was tied to the... anomalous... darkness around the Orphanage. Should I be reading anything into the fact that we're using the Candle in a situation related to Discordance? Is the Orphanage's darkness related to the Hurlers in any way?

--
+1 link
Plynkes
Plynkes

4/26/2021
Snort: I don't know. My method was the tried and tested 'Looking through my stuff' approach. My items with that quality mostly came from stuff we got at Whitsun last year. Furry boots, coat, gloves, and an unquenchable firebird. But I am also currently wearing a hellish hymn on my head (however that works - perhaps it means I am singing it?)
edited by Plynkes on 4/26/2021

--
+1 link
Tsar Koschei
Tsar Koschei

4/26/2021
I do wonder what happens if you keep stoking the stove all the way up to eight. A fire? An explosion?
idyl wrote:
Correct, there's an option to put up a statue honouring your Heptagoat.
Could you tell us what it says about the effects?
Übergoat statue, for anyone curious, is hell favors to collated research.

--

+1 link
Aro Saren
Aro Saren

4/26/2021
You'll need to cash in Trust several times. If you talk with her and it doesn't advance anything - go and advance Deviless' storyline until she moves to read the stones.

--
+1 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

4/27/2021
If you're not making progress talking to the Steward, then go pick up loose ends elsewhere. I had to go back to the Frozen Lake two or three times in-between talking to her. There's nothing there of prominent interest.

--
+1 link
Feldon Smithe
Feldon Smithe

4/27/2021
Rostygold wrote:
The Stove just turns alive and wanders off.
There does not seem to be any way to reduce Stoking the Stove.

Mine never came home. And after everything I did for it, feeding it all those candles and plaques. Maybe it's out petting goat demons.

--
+1 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

4/26/2021
You can, in fact, build a statue to your Overgoat.

--
+1 link
Aro Saren
Aro Saren

4/24/2021
"Arsonist" is a hidden quality, it doesn't appear on the storylet.

Commissioner in her adventures sounds like an absolute badass nerd, and that's pretty cool.
And yes, I like the point that PC isn't the axis of the world others are spinning around, and other characters can have their own stories off-screen.

--
+1 link