Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

Noman Melt Rate Tracking (2021) Messages in this topic - RSS

idyl
idyl

1/11/2021
Who's going for the Noman tattoo this year? I'll once again be tracking the melt rate to see how it's changed from previous years. When Time the Healer visits, feel free to comment with a date/time and how much Noman's Friend was lost. Thanks!

A longer post (mainly with basic Noman Info) can be found on the subreddit here, if you're interested.

--
“Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est"
+1 link
Sir Reginald Monteroy
Sir Reginald Monteroy

1/19/2021
For the record, on 15th January, I've lost 38 NF and 37 NF with my alt and my main, respectively.

Tintinnabulum wrote:
I imagine (or at least hope) it was random. I did realize that with the loss of most (all?) of the deck refresh options, increasing Noman Knows is a lot harder than it used to be, at least without constantly checking every ten minutes for a new card.

This is, in fact, the only part of the Winter Balance patch which I am unhappy with. The removal of basically all possibilities of Fate-free deck reset makes all time-limited, solely card draw dependent endeavours risky and potentially highly frustrating. Particularly when you are required to invest a large amount of time, card draws and resources (e.g. quirks).

The yearly Noman Knows grind is a perfect case in point. I've been lucky enough that my Noman survived through 2 TtH hits (both for my alt and for my main). I have been drawing cards only in London, every 10 minutes possible, with a daily allowance of +-8 hours for sleep and other off-time, and still after almost 3 weeks, I need to draw 7-10 cards for the entire grind to matter AT ALL.

This change will be frustrating but bearable with the events such as the Feast of the Rose, when the relevant cards become pinned towards the very end. With the Noman, an all-or-nothing weeks long grind, missing the target by 1-2 cards would be quite heartbreaking.

I posit that with the removal of deck-refresh options, some form of a remake of this sort of grind would be warranted - either lowering of the Noman Knows requirement (perhaps to 12 or 13?), increasing the card frequency to Ubiquitous to help the odds and mitigate RNG-caused distress, or ideally adding some repeatable, card-independent, perhaps expensive option for those of us who have invested large amounts of quirks and even more precious time + card draws to grinding Noman Knows, and simply need to push the last few points within a few days.

I mean, the Noman has even been introduced into Helicon. It is sad that there is no practical way for its invitation to matter. Even such a little, inefficient thing as the Noman getting a single point of Noman Knows as one of the end choices, instead of the normal material rewards, would be enough to solve this problem for the advanced players; it would also be a flavourful representation of the experiences the Noman could gain in the highly stimulating environment of Helicon. Of course, a less endgame-dependent option would be even more useful for the sake of less advanced players. What if we were able to take our Noman to the Mahogany Hall, or carousing into the SInging Mandrake? If it cost enough resources and quirks so that covering the entire grind this way would cost (much) more than you obtain (i.e. the Elemental Secret), it would hardly be a game-breaking option, and it would go a long way towards limiting potentially gross disappointment.
With things as they are, I probably won't bother with the Noman next year at all. Definitely not if RNG hates me enough that I don't make it in the 3,5 days my Noman has left...

What do you think?

--
Sir Reginald Monteroy, Paramount Glassman of the Ancient Regime, Courier's Footprint, Poet-Laureate, Defender of Public Safety, Cider owner. Compulsively editing his posts.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Sir Reginald Monteroy

If you desire a sip of Hesperidean Cider, PM me in the game.

Rotsternchen, an up-and-rising Socialite, Demi-Monde-Sipping Lepidopteran, New Regime Silverer and Symboliste. The titular orchid of Blutrote Orchidee. Weimar-era Decadent in the making.
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Rotsternchen
+4 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

1/21/2021
Greetings from the Surface!

The lack of deck refresh is a burden for some, but in the end those are called opportunity cards.
With data gathered about 1 year ago, on average, an EF (10 cards) checking the game almost constantly and with 8 hours of absence for sleep, will draw about 105 cards per day. With this number, any card will standard frequency will pop about 1.35 times per day.
Don't have enough data, but a slower game pace lowers that number to ~1 so I will go with this number. All the above required will enable a player draw the Noman card 5 times per day.

For The Sense of an Ending option, the card must be drew at least 41 times which is about 8-9 days. Not impossible specially if you grab the Noman ASAP which will give you 14-21 days; the average is almost double the required days.

Because there are no more deck refreshes, all the extra AP can be easily invested in the increase of the quirks that give 3 Noman Knows.

So yes, getting that option is still doable, but it must be done in time and can't be rushed like it used to. Please remember that that option was made available when there were no deck refreshing! smile

--
ESs items and quality requirements sheet. Please check if there are errors or if something is missing
Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
+2 link
Tigerfort
Tigerfort

1/15/2021
Just under an hour ago:
"You've lost 53 x Noman's Friend (new total 0)"

Which is absurd. From over half health to just gone, without any kind of warning or recovery option? As an endgame player, the loss of the resources (mostly actions and quirks) pumped into boosting it (Noman's Progress 14 at time of death) is irritating rather than anything more, but it definitely feels unreasonably punishing.

--
Tigerfort-in-Fallen-London: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Tigerfort
Sips of cider and Parabolan Kittens available to all (PM in game).
Usually happy to trade scandal/suspicion reductions; occasionally interested in some other social interactions (ask first), but has the opinion of "pass the cat" you'd expect from a person who pushed Connected: Duchess up to a leap year's worth of days....
+2 link
elderfleur
elderfleur

1/15/2021
Jan 08th, ~1500 UTC: You've lost 22 x Noman's Friend (new total 78)

Jan 15th, ~1500 UTC: You've lost 36 x Noman's Friend (new total 42)

--
—Elderfleur
+1 link
Amalgamate
Amalgamate

1/15/2021
Lost 45 today, Jan 15

--
http://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/amalgamate

Social invitations of all kinds welcome! Deadly sparring, plant battles, etc. I can also send sips of cider.
+1 link
Tintinnabulum
Tintinnabulum

1/15/2021
First week:

Tintinnabulum wrote:
Last Friday the 8th, I lost 45 NF, which seems unfair....

Second week, 3 hours ago: "You've lost 55 x Noman's Friend (new total 0)."

Well that was bloody fast....

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/Tintinnabulum
+1 link
hwoosh
hwoosh

1/16/2021
Tintinnabulum wrote:
I did realize that with the loss of most (all?) of the deck refresh options, increasing Noman Knows is a lot harder than it used to be, at least without constantly checking every ten minutes for a new card.

I set a timer for an hour and a half throughout the day. That's equal to nine new cards, hence no cards are wasted and you don't have to check in every ten minutes, which would be impossible to maintain. Plus, 90 minutes is a good interval to remind oneself to get up from the desk, stretch or take a walk, and give one's eyes a break.

--
Persona: hwoosh
R Fellow Oswho. Don't ask what the "R." stands for. The poor fellow is sensitive about it. And violent.
Most social requests gladly and promptly answered.
+1 link
Rachel
Rachel

1/11/2021
Around 6am Sunday (MST), TtH hit and I lost 25 Noman's Friend.
edited by Kaunisenkeli on 1/11/2021

--
Kaunis Enkeli, the spy who won the game of the Masters, and chose a false Heart's Desire in the hope it would get her the Time to achieve her true
Crazy enough to actually want Flame-proof Missives
+1 link
El Mar
El Mar

1/12/2021
(3 days ago)
Memory fades...You've lost 40 x Noman's Friend (new total 60 - A little time remains to the Noman).

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/El%20Mar
+1 link
Amalgamate
Amalgamate

1/12/2021
On Friday jan 8th I lost 21 NF.

Not going for a tattoo, I got one last year, so I'm just keeping track for a few weeks during the initial phase.

--
http://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/amalgamate

Social invitations of all kinds welcome! Deadly sparring, plant battles, etc. I can also send sips of cider.
+1 link
Dagforth
Dagforth

1/12/2021
On Wednesday (January 6th) afternoon (GMT) Amenneb lost 30 NF. Amenneb also discovered with some surprise that a lucky seeker can betray two Nomen in one year! (Amenneb will not be contributing further data points.)
+1 link
Tintinnabulum
Tintinnabulum

1/12/2021

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/Tintinnabulum
+1 link
Sir Reginald Monteroy
Sir Reginald Monteroy

1/13/2021
Tintinnabulum wrote:

Huh. I guess I was lucky with "only" losing 41 NF on Friday the 8th.

My alt lost 39 NF on 8th or 9th January.

--
Sir Reginald Monteroy, Paramount Glassman of the Ancient Regime, Courier's Footprint, Poet-Laureate, Defender of Public Safety, Cider owner. Compulsively editing his posts.

Rotsternchen, an up-and-rising Socialite, Demi-Monde-Sipping Lepidopteran, New Regime Silverer and Symboliste. The titular orchid of Blutrote Orchidee. Weimar-era Decadent in the making.
+1 link
El Mar
El Mar

1/13/2021
From my alt:
(7 hours ago)
Memory fades...You've lost 31 x Noman's Friend (new total 36 - The Noman is almost gone)

(after losing 33 last week, apparently)

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/El%20Mar
+1 link
Sir Reginald Monteroy
Sir Reginald Monteroy

1/21/2021
Skinnyman wrote:
Greetings from the Surface!

The lack of deck refresh is a burden for some, but in the end those are called opportunity cards.
With data gathered about 1 year ago, on average, an EF (10 cards) checking the game almost constantly and with 8 hours of absence for sleep, will draw about 105 cards per day. With this number, any card will standard frequency will pop about 1.35 times per day.
Don't have enough data, but a slower game pace lowers that number to ~1 so I will go with this number. All the above required will enable a player draw the Noman card 5 times per day.

For The Sense of an Ending option, the card must be drew at least 41 times which is about 8-9 days. Not impossible specially if you grab the Noman ASAP which will give you 14-21 days; the average is almost double the required days.

Because there are no more deck refreshes, all the extra AP can be easily invested in the increase of the quirks that give 3 Noman Knows.

So yes, getting that option is still doable, but it must be done in time and can't be rushed like it used to. Please remember that that option was made available when there were no deck refreshing! smile

I agree with your math; I also came to the same approximate theoretical numbers. Nevertheless, over the last two weeks (I was able to generate the Noman on 7th or 8th January on both my accounts), I don't think I've drawn the Noman card 5-times on one day more than maybe 2-6 times, out of ~28 days of drawing (14 per account).
Of course, that's hardly a sufficient number of repetitions to reasonably claim that the card's frequency is in reality lower than it says; this sort of bad luck does, however, create disappointment when it happens on two separate accounts. Particularly when I went into the grind with a reasonable assumption that 14 days should be more than enough.

In many cases, there is some sort of a compensatory mechanism which allows you to invest more resources or reliably grind to prevent total loss (such as the newly added options to repeatably though inefficiently grind all the faction favours); or else the relevant cards become pinned at the end of the event so you can scrounge out at least a partial success. In the case of trying to achieve Noman's End, there is nothing like that in place, although it presumably is meant to be much easier to accomplish than the Noman tattoo (and for that reason, I don't count investing a large amount of Lacre into keeping the Noman alive for three TtH hits, which would far exceed the value of the Elemental Secret you're grinding for).

TL: DR - I don't believe the reset removal is such a big deal, actually; I'd just like to see more "safety nets" for players being hated by RNG, especially in cases like this where you invest a lot of time and resources and risk falling short by 1 card draw out of 20.

I guess I'm just averse to chance-dependent gambits, and always pining for ways to counteract these and stick to controllable ones...
edited by Sir Reginald Monteroy on 1/21/2021

--

+1 link
Judaspriester
Judaspriester

1/21/2021
Yesterday (Jan 21): 54 Loss.
That + the fact Sir Reginald Monteroy mentioned that its very hard to get hands on the necessary cards will make me ignore the norman cards from now. I'm still at Norman Knows 5, so I see no chance to get it done in time without risking my only tear.
edited by Judaspriester on 1/21/2021

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Judaspriester

"You say 'Prison Cell', I hear 'Holiday'"
+1 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

1/22/2021
Sir Reginald Monteroy wrote:
Of course, that's hardly a sufficient number of repetitions to reasonably claim that the card's frequency is in reality lower than it says; this sort of bad luck does, however, create disappointment when it happens on two separate accounts. Particularly when I went into the grind with a reasonable assumption that 14 days should be more than enough.
This I can perfectly understand and RNG can be a big bastard some times.
Sir Reginald Monteroy wrote:
Huh. I guess that RNG decided to consider my incessant complains as a form of veneration, since today, I've drawn the requisite card no less than 7 times, allowing me to finally harvest my Noman.

I am still in favour of safety nets being in place for endeavours of this length and magnitude, but perhaps it's just a matter of reasonable probabilities, and I was just randomly unlucky this year...
But it seems to compensate! Big Grin

The problem with those average numbers is that they aren't evenly distributed, but higher frequencies tend to do so faster.

In theory, a mood card can be drawn about once in 10 days with those numbers, but this is the example of lower distribution. While I was testing those numbers, they were hastened with FLs and in less than 2 weeks I had: 3 mood cards in a single day, 2 mood cards in another day and, the rarest of them all, 2 mood cards one after the other.

--
ESs items and quality requirements sheet. Please check if there are errors or if something is missing
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
+1 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

1/22/2021
Got my 3rd TtH so here are my numbers for ~14:00 GMT:
Jan 08 - 33 lost NF
Jan 15 - 42
Jan 22 - 58

--
+1 link
Feldon Smithe
Feldon Smithe

1/22/2021
I've had my noman for 6 days. I lost 72 NF this first week. Jan 22.

--
Feldon Smithe, Fellow Londoner, https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/FeldonSmithe
+1 link
hwoosh
hwoosh

1/22/2021
22 January, 14:43 UTC:

Acct 1: lost 61 NF
Acct 2: lost 57 NF

--
R Fellow Oswho. Don't ask what the "R." stands for. The poor fellow is sensitive about it. And violent.
+1 link
CameoAppearance
CameoAppearance

1/23/2021
22 January, 14:something UTC:
You've lost 77 x Noman's Friend (new total 104 - The Noman is pristine).

I got some additional mileage out of my snow buckets after I made my initial post, but still, yikes?!
edited by CameoAppearance on 1/23/2021

--
Dr Cameo “Scary Teeth” Thurlow, that toothy androgyne with the wickedly sharp curly quotes
+1 link
Judaspriester
Judaspriester

29 days ago
You've lost 48 x Noman's Friend (from 48 to 0, so possible more).

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Judaspriester

"You say 'Prison Cell', I hear 'Holiday'"
+1 link
c-schroed
c-schroed

28 days ago
I just saw this thread, so here are my characters' melt rates (all times are CET):

Cattus
06 January, 10:17: -48 x Noman's Friend (new total 52)
13 January, 10:17: -38 x Noman's Friend (new total 14)
(17 January: Noman is gone due to "The Sense of an Ending")

Kitty
12 January, 00:42: -24 Noman's Friend (new total 76)
(15 January: Noman is gone due to "The Sense of an Ending")

--
Cattus Schroedingeris, the Consulting Explorer, scientist and author, at your service!

Kitty Schroedingeris, the Plot-weaving Minx, his Cousin, who is always plotting something.

"Always look to love. Always."
+1 link
futouristka
futouristka

26 days ago
17:01 GMT +3, lost 96 x Noman's Friend

--
Alysanne Watson / Correspondent
+1 link
hwoosh
hwoosh

26 days ago
29 January, 14:43 UTC:

Acct 1: lost 92 NF
Acct 2: lost 120 NF

--
+1 link
CameoAppearance
CameoAppearance

26 days ago
29 January, ~13:56 UTC:

You've lost 116 x Noman's Friend (new total 0).

Absolutely blindsided by the fact that the melt rate got that high before January even ended, to be perfectly honest. I suspected my noman wouldn't last until the Feast considering last week's melt, but what I expected to happen at this point in the season was that it'd survive this TtH with anywhere from thirtyish NF to a single-digit number left over. My luck seems to be particularly rotten this year.

--
Dr Cameo “Scary Teeth” Thurlow, that toothy androgyne with the wickedly sharp curly quotes
+1 link
Tyrconnell
Tyrconnell

25 days ago
1/22: 53 NF
1/29: 91 NF

--
Tyrconnell, a gentleman and doctor of diverse interests and multifarious proclivities
+1 link
Feldon Smithe
Feldon Smithe

25 days ago
NF Lost 1/22/2021: 72
NF Lost 1/29/2021: 107

Total NF lost so far: 179
Current Noman's Friend: 593

--
Feldon Smithe, Fellow Londoner, https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/FeldonSmithe
+1 link
Vorwoda Hawksby
Vorwoda Hawksby

23 days ago
NF Lost 1/29/2021: 114

Noman bought on 1/23 (after TTH)
Total NF lost so far: 114
Current Noman's Friend: 220
edited by Vorwoda Hawksby on 2/1/2021

--
Ambition: Nemesis
My darling lady-love,
Lies cruelly slain above;
To track her unknown killer I've descended,
To London, in the Neath.
And though I pass Hell's teeth,
I'll see her slayer's foul existence ended!
+1 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

23 days ago
I see that the 29th hit everyone pretty bad.
Mine took a hit of 107 NF!

Big cheers to idyl for maintaining this and compiling the lovely early rates!

--
+1 link
Nikito3
Nikito3

23 days ago
NF Lost 2/1/2021: 118
Noman bought on 1/28 (after TTH at 6 pm)
Total NF lost so far: 118
Current Noman's Friend: 144
+1 link
futouristka
futouristka

19 days ago
17:01 GMT +3 lost 119 Noman's Friend

(Noman is not going to survive the next Time, the healer)
edited by futouristka on 2/5/2021

--
Alysanne Watson / Correspondent
+1 link
Vorwoda Hawksby
Vorwoda Hawksby

19 days ago
NF Lost 2/5/2021: 115

Total NF lost so far: 229
Resulting Noman's Friend: 105

I used the Presumptuous Opportunity card to craft my seventh Airag bottle at the end of last week, and had to wait for this TtH to give me a new Favourable Circumstance, so I could force draw the card again. Having done so, I obtained 1 more Tears of the Bazaar (I'd used my others warming pails during the main run), and fed the new one directly to the Noman, gaining another 25 Noman's Friend. Which brings me back up to:

NF regained from bottle: 25
Resulting Noman's Friend: 130

So from probable death next week (the 12th), it now looks like my snowy friend will likely last till the 19th, hopefully allowing me to get the tattoo. Thank Salt, Stone and Storm!

--
My darling lady-love,
To London, in the Neath.
+1 link
Feldon Smithe
Feldon Smithe

19 days ago
NF Lost 2/05/2021: 116

Total NF lost so far: 295
Current Noman's Friend: 477

--
+1 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

19 days ago
The 5th of Feb hit for another 118 NF.

--
+1 link
hwoosh
hwoosh

18 days ago
5 Feb., 14:43 UTC:

Acct 1: lost 107 NF
Acct 2: lost 116 NF

--
+1 link
Tyrconnell
Tyrconnell

18 days ago
2/5: 93 NF

--
Tyrconnell, a gentleman and doctor of diverse interests and multifarious proclivities
+1 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

12 days ago
120 more NF gone today, the 12th of Feb!
Way higher than last year, but they look like the ones from 2 years ago.

--
+1 link
hwoosh
hwoosh

12 days ago
12 Feb., 14:44 UTC:

Acct 1: lost 120 NF
Acct 2: lost 97 NF

--
+1 link
idyl
idyl

12 days ago
Skinnyman wrote:
120 more NF gone today, the 12th of Feb!
Way higher than last year, but they look like the ones from 2 years ago.
I'd have to agree. 2020 was strange because there was a much lower melt rate starting in February. Everything for this year looks exactly like it did for the 2017-2019. I can only guess they were testing something out last year and opted to go back to the old formula for some reason. As a bunch of people have said, last year was the year to get the tattoo; it was a breeze for so many.

--
“Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est"
+1 link
Vorwoda Hawksby
Vorwoda Hawksby

12 days ago

NF Lost 1/29/2021: 114
NF Lost 2/5/2021: 115
NF Lost 2/12/2021: 102
Total NF lost so far: 331
Resulting Noman's Friend: 28

--
My darling lady-love,
To London, in the Neath.
+1 link
Feldon Smithe
Feldon Smithe

12 days ago
NF Lost 2/12/2021: 111

Total NF lost so far: 406
Current Noman's Friend: 366

--
+1 link
Tyrconnell
Tyrconnell

11 days ago
2/12 112 NF.

Still two, maybe three weeks left together. It is so short a time. It is a lifetime.

--
+1 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

5 days ago
The 19th of February was a little less cruel with only 101 NF loss. smile

--
+1 link
hwoosh
hwoosh

5 days ago
19 Feb., 14:44 UTC:

Acct 1: lost 98 NF
Acct 2: lost 106 NF

--
+1 link
Feldon Smithe
Feldon Smithe

4 days ago
NF Lost 2/12/2021: 111
NF Lost 2/19/2021: 108

Total NF lost so far: 514
Current Noman's Friend: 258

--
+1 link
Tyrconnell
Tyrconnell

4 days ago
2/19: 96 NF

--
+1 link