Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Mr Pages’ Fabularities

“An archive of things that never happened”. An in-character forum for fanfiction and roleplaying. Beware - spoilers abound!

The Cintamani Ball Messages in this topic - RSS

Siankan
Siankan

3 days ago
Preacher Tzara wrote:

- "Ah,my sweet professor, forgive me for the interruption,but, your phrase gives me pause. What would exactly be your definition of a safe haven? For someone who,allow me to assume, does not exactly believe in the Lord men and women of my cloth profess faith to, what or where in your space or mind makes you feel safe enough as to dare treading in a place without gods? As a Preacher, i have always wondered in exactly what does lay-men place their faith. As they say, belief shifts. People star out believing in the god and end up believing in the structure- which, if I may dare, is the reason London has ended up with a deviless for a mayor. And now,us all being behind mirrors, I must believe in your safe haven.But what exactly am I believing? In what am I placing my faith as to whether they who rule this place shall not come to us?-he said,glancing at both Thanos and the old man".

The ripple of Tzara's question interrupt the conversations between him and the Professor; only the lively discussion at the far end continues apace. However, Sian remains in thought so long that they had begun to buzz again before he replies.

"That, sir, is an interesting assumption for a man of the cloth to make. I do not, however, see what grounds I have given you for it...

"But my butler, who is back in London supervising (no doubt to his heart's content) the feeding of several hundred strangers, would remind me that philosophical discussion should not occur in mixed company (meaning, of course, anyone present whom it would bore) until at least the meat course. Also, I believe your real question isn't about the nature of divinity, but about the nature of our immediate safety. I probably cannot answer you as you would like, first because I am not a glassman, second because Parabola is the least safe place to talk about Parabola. Nevertheless, I will say what can be said.

"The best way to deal with most dangers is preventative. The dangerous elements of Parabola are, in some ways, not unlike the dangerous elements of Spite or Watchmaker's Hill: they have certain desires, and they have certain abilities. You must understand both. Then what you want to do is, on first look, be uninteresting: unlikely to assist their desires, and not so strong as to draw attention to yourself. (As a wise woman once said, too strong a defense and something will turn up to see why it's there.) That will usually stop curiosity. To stop mischief, the second look must show you're more trouble than any value to them might be worth." Here he rubs the head of Midnight, the panther who accompanied him through the mirror. "If those fail, there are solider defenses--but we must speak of those in London."

--
Prof. Sian Kan, at your service.
0 link
Shadowcthuhlu
Shadowcthuhlu

3 days ago
Evnnsong stops delicately sipping zzzoup (a real achievement to be honest) to give an approving nod. "When I find myself on unsafe streets, I don't spend my words telling them that I feel unsafe. That only urges on the predators. So, let's stop painting a target for them, shall we?"

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Dirae%20Erinyes. Closed to calling cards, but open for all other social action. I also love to roleplay.
+1 link
Lady Sapho Byron
Lady Sapho Byron

3 days ago
Six Handed Merchant wrote:

The scandalous detective waves back daintily while Oscar salutes Sapho with a flute of champagne from atop Six's head. "I admit did not picture Tanith as a card player. Perhaps we could all get together for a friendly game at some point?" Six grins to sapho, while there is a gleam in Oscar's eye at the mention of a card game where betting might be involved.

"Oh yes, a Friendly Game would be just the thing!"

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Lady%20Sapho%20L%20Byron
Fighting the Menace of Corsetry Since 1892.
0 link
Siankan
Siankan

3 days ago
Something in Sapho's tone makes Ondine's eyebrow arch, just a bit. "Friendly like the second drink in a tavern, or friendly like lamps and letter openers?"
edited by Siankan on 2/14/2020

--
0 link
Lady Sapho Byron
Lady Sapho Byron

3 days ago
Siankan wrote:

"But la! you've made me be terribly serious, and it's only the soup course! Be warned, I will revenge myself." She winks and smiles, perhaps in challenge, perhaps in jest, perhaps in flirtation. With Ondine, it can be hard to tell.

Smiling over her zzoup (of course she's chosen zzoup!), Lady Byron flicks her eyes back and forth between Ondine and Ixc, eagerly awaiting the continuation.

And to Ondine's question she answers, "Friendly like books and bookmarks."
edited by Lady Sapho Byron on 2/14/2020

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Lady%20Sapho%20L%20Byron
Fighting the Menace of Corsetry Since 1892.
0 link
Six Handed Merchant
Six Handed Merchant

3 days ago
Six watches the conversations as well. Their demeanor is polite and relaxed, but their attention to small details betrays a mind that is busily absorbing intriguing snippets of any kind, from theory to gossip, like a sponge.

--
The Six Handed Merchant: If it's the truth you seek, The Six Handed Merchant is the gentlemen-, er, lady-, er, detective you need! Just pay no heed to that Eradication Officer tailing Six: that poor fellow is simply out of his mind!

Six's Mantlepiece (I am available for roleplaying and SAs. My schedule is pretty full, so please PM me first to work out the details.)
0 link
Siankan
Siankan

2 days ago
The tureens are removed, along with the bowls and Oscar's now-empty snifter of bisque. In their place comes that Neathiest of haute cuisine, the mushroom course. The diners are presented, à l'americaine, with artful plates holding a selection of mushrooms. There are stuffed morels, holding the lost flavours of the English kitchen garden. There are boletes soaked in a hot, spiced wine of the Elder Continent. There are indigo milk caps, cubed and drizzled in oleo santo. Small bowls of each are placed on the table so that, having sampled all, diners could refill with their favorites. (To the varying joy and dismay of the company, this course means those fiddly little mushroom forks that are all the rage.)

--
+1 link
the old man
the old man

2 days ago
Siankan wrote:
The tureens are removed, along with the bowls and Oscar's now-empty snifter of bisque. In their place comes that Neathiest of haute cuisine, the mushroom course. The diners are presented, à l'americaine, with artful plates holding a selection of mushrooms. There are stuffed morels, holding the lost flavours of the English kitchen garden. There are boletes soaked in a hot, spiced wine of the Elder Continent. There are indigo milk caps, cubed and drizzled in oleo santo. Small bowls of each are placed on the table so that, having sampled all, diners could refill with their favorites. (To the varying joy and dismay of the company, this course means those fiddly little mushroom forks that are all the rage.)

the old man makes a show of trying every dish and then inevitably picks the surface option, he smiles and turns to thaza, "so my dear fellow if I may ask perhaps a dangerous question, who are you? I don't mean the persona you've adopted for everyone down here, I mean who are you really, warts, blemishes, secretes, and all?" The old mans eyes burn with a determined fire daring you to answer, he seems to drop the person of an old gentleman for a few moments and one might wonder if he got his nickname some other way, before returning to normal, "well my good friend? you needn't answer of course"

--
an old man from the colony's mentioning his name to the right people might get you help to the wrong a beating
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/The%20old%20man
no plant battles please for the love of god
0 link
AbsolxGuardian
AbsolxGuardian

2 days ago
"I have to say I'm not even sure how your wife's card game ended," the Spidery Marchioness replied to Dirae Erinyes. "Vestiture isn't really a game that is meant to play, per se, let alone with Kingdom rules. I'm not even sure if we ended the game with outstanding debts to eachother. As for how I spend my time, I'm a courtier in the Shutter Palace. Other than that, I zail on research expeditions for the Universities. I've become a bit of a scholar myself and even dabbled in the Correspondence."

Evidence of her experience on the Unterzee, the Marchioness selects the zzoup without much consideration.

She is then drawn into Thanos' conversation with Sian on her other side. She also keeps a close eye on the strange Old Man from before as he weaves his way about the table. "Professor Kan, if you don't mind, I would also like to see those map pieces myself. Although I suspect my interest is more practical than Mr. Black's. I'm a zailing scholar myself. My research tends towards cyptozoology and archaeology, but I've dabbled in Correspondense studies myself, although much less than you," this last part is directed to Thanos, "I actually attended one of your more recent lectures, although I couldn't recognize you with the mask." Aranea's conversation is broken by Preacher Tzara, calling across to Sian from his seat. She doesn't know if it was Parabola or his own efforts that were twisting the sound of his voice. She listens as Sian addresses Tzara's concerns. "Professor Kan's argument is a lot more eloquent than mine, but there's something I would like to add. It's a saying you hear around the honey dens. 'There's no such thing as a mediocre glassman'. The fact is that if a glassman isn't good, one day they'll never really return from Parabola. Miss Tanith has been at her profession for years now, and has built a formal business on that fact. I'll reckon that if there is anything in Parabola she couldn't overpower, she'll know enough to avoid its attentions."

--
The Spidery Marchioness/Rogue- or Marquis Aranea Mindfang. All positive social interactions are welcomed, and RP messages appreciated. (I was really into homestuck when I first joined, and so I'm stuck with the name).

My characters: The Spidery Marchioness (Fallen London) | The Revolutionary Zailor (Sunless Seas) | The Optimistic Godslayer (Sunless Skies) | The Antiquated Scholar (The Silver Tree)
0 link
Siankan
Siankan

2 days ago
AbsolxGuardian wrote:
"Professor Kan, if you don't mind, I would also like to see those map pieces myself. Although I suspect my interest is more practical than Mr. Black's. I'm a zailing scholar myself. My research tends towards cyptozoology and archaeology, but I've dabbled in Correspondense studies myself, although much less than you," this last part is directed to Thanos, "I actually attended one of your more recent lectures, although I couldn't recognize you with the mask."

Sian's face lights up at Aranea's statement, though he doesn't have a chance to respond to it immediately.

When the mushroom has been served, Sian spears one of the indigo cubes and studies it a moment. "This, my friends, this is a little of my childhood brought to the Neath. My mother would buy these mushrooms at the market, when she could. Whenever she could find a truly beautiful specimen, one that was rich blue all through, she'd always make something special with it. Alas, they grow on tree roots, and you can't raise them down here, any more than truffles. Still, if you have the knowing of it and are very, very careful, they can be preserved for a while." He eats the cube with evident relish.

Spearing another, he contemplates it, then turns to the Marchioness. "My dear lady, you are a scholar after my own heart. Now, for cryptozoology, the real experts are down at the end of the table, Professors Logan and Drake. (He may prefer Captain these days, but don't let it fool you; he was an academic veteran before he became a zailing one.)" He gestures down-table with his brilliantly-topped fork. "Zailing and archaeology, however, those are my studies. You had a chance, I hope, to study some of my collection during the ball? Well, you must come back and see some of the rest of it. I've a particular interest in the Third City, though I have collected just about anything that caught my fancy and fit my wallet.

"Now tell me, what ship to you zail on? Is she a rust bucket or a queen? Or both?"

--
0 link
AbsolxGuardian
AbsolxGuardian

2 days ago
"Fasinating," the Spidery Marchioness replies after Sian explains the indigo cubes. As flattery, she takes some cubes for herself. She had previously taken any, sticking to the surface food this course and a few mushrooms she recognized. "From the color I assumed it was some Neath food I hadn't encountered before. I suppose the must be a few species on the Surface that one could argue fall under cryptozoology."

She takes a few bites, thankful she doesn't have to pretend to enjoy it for her host's sake as she listens to Sian's next statement. "I try not to mix my academic and social life too much. I shall have to call on Captain Drake and Professor Logan. This is quite the well educated crowd isn't it," she adds, thinking of how many professors were in attendance. She supposed there was also her, but her scholarly interests simply went as far as it let her identify treasures and know which data would be the most profitable.

"I was unable to look at your collection tonight, I was drawn into a card game. Drake is a member of your household- sorry family, is he not? The three of us must set a date for me to come over so we can have a proper scholarly evening in the future. And the Third City? That's an usual one. Too old to be easy pickings, but not old enough to take on a level of mysticism like the first two. You must have spent a lot of time in the Tomb-Colonies, then."

"As for my ship, the Spinneret isn't quite a rust bucket or a jewel. It's a Phorcyd class cutter. But I don't live spartanly while out at zee. I've made sure to furnish my own quarters as lavishly as I'm used to at home"

--
The Spidery Marchioness/Rogue- or Marquis Aranea Mindfang. All positive social interactions are welcomed, and RP messages appreciated. (I was really into homestuck when I first joined, and so I'm stuck with the name).

My characters: The Spidery Marchioness (Fallen London) | The Revolutionary Zailor (Sunless Seas) | The Optimistic Godslayer (Sunless Skies) | The Antiquated Scholar (The Silver Tree)
0 link
Preacher Tzara
Preacher Tzara

2 days ago
the old man wrote:
Siankan wrote:

the old man makes a show of trying every dish and then inevitably picks the surface option, he smiles and turns to thaza, &quotso my dear fellow if I may ask perhaps a dangerous question, who are you? I don't mean the persona you've adopted for everyone down here, I mean who are you really, warts, blemishes, secretes, and all?&quot The old mans eyes burn with a determined fire daring you to answer, he seems to drop the person of an old gentleman for a few moments and one might wonder if he got his nickname some other way, before returning to normal, &quotwell my good friend? you needn't answer of course&quot

The good Preacher nodded to the Proffessor, and conceded the argument. He did not pay much attention to the dishes- a side-effect of the frugal life of the parish and of his hunger for smoke. Right now,he really could use a cigar. Or several. Alas,civilization called for civility.
( They are watching, and you know. Slithering, waiting. We must be ready)
He turned to the old man and grinned, with certain savagery.
-&quot Me? No one of consequence. A journalist, a seeker of truth. A somewhat terse bohemian. Upwards? One of troubles. But down here? We all Fall at different speeds. But we have fallen. Some slow days it appears only I remember that. So, if I could resume: I am just a hunger who would murder suns. A poor storyteller. And a Preacher,now. They call me Tzara&quot.
He extended his arms,as in prayer. He yawned.
-&quotWould that do it? I find it odd,to speak of myself. And you? Who are you,beneath those bandages? Why the odd speech and the brass?&quot.
edited by Preacher Tzara on 2/15/2020

--
Preacher Tzara: A curious storyteller wrapped in smoke and candlelight. A Journalist of some dubious skill. We began with the river, remember?
0 link
Siankan
Siankan

2 days ago
AbsolxGuardian wrote:
"Fasinating," the Spidery Marchioness replies after Sian explains the indigo cubes. As flattery, she takes some cubes for herself. She had previously taken any, sticking to the surface food this course and a few mushrooms she recognized. "From the color I assumed it was some Neath food I hadn't encountered before. I suppose the must be a few species on the Surface that one could argue fall under cryptozoology."

She takes a few bites, thankful she doesn't have to pretend to enjoy it for her host's sake as she listens to Sian's next statement. "I try not to mix my academic and social life too much. I shall have to call on Captain Drake and Professor Logan. This is quite the well educated crowd isn't it," she adds, thinking of how many professors were in attendance. She supposed there was also her, but her scholarly interests simply went as far as it let her identify treasures and know which data would be the most profitable.

"I was unable to look at your collection tonight, I was drawn into a card game. Drake is a member of your household- sorry family, is he not? The three of us must set a date for me to come over so we can have a proper scholarly evening in the future. And the Third City? That's an usual one. Too old to be easy pickings, but not old enough to take on a level of mysticism like the first two. You must have spent a lot of time in the Tomb-Colonies, then."

"As for my ship, the Spinneret isn't quite a rust bucket or a jewel. It's a Phorcyd class cutter. But I don't live spartanly while out at zee. I've made sure to furnish my own quarters as lavishly as I'm used to at home"

"The world is filled with wonders, my lady, on the Surface and under it. I find as many as I can, and keep those I'm allowed to. In a world of auroras and moonbows and flying fish, a blue mushroom that's highly palatable isn't too great a thing to ask.

"And yes, I suppose we are a well-versed crowd. Of course, it usually wouldn't do to take your average costermonger with you to a place like this, not unless you're trying to drum up business for Dr. Schlomo. But even so, I suspect the table holds more familiarity with the mysteries of the Neath than is strictly necessary."

He bites into one of the boletes and smiled. "Piquant."

--
0 link
the old man
the old man

2 days ago
Preacher Tzara wrote:

The good Preacher nodded to the Proffessor, and conceded the argument. He did not pay much attention to the dishes- a side-effect of the frugal life of the parish and of his hunger for smoke. Right now,he really could use a cigar. Or several. Alas,civilization called for civility.
-&quot Me? No one of consequence. A journalist, a seeker of truth. A somewhat terse bohemian. Upwards? One of troubles. But down here? We all Fall at different speeds. But we have fallen. Some slow days it appears only I remember that. So, if I could resume: I am just a hunger who would murder suns. A poor storyteller. And a Preacher,now. They call me Tzara&quot.
-&quotWould that do it? I find it odd,to speak of myself. And you? Who are you,beneath those bandages? Why the odd speech and the brass?&quot.

the old man replies simply, "down here someone of little consequence I go to party's I laugh, I drink, I smile, I keep up a reputation of a gentleman, someone killed my family up there, I was a man of disreputable means, I hunted them down, slowly destroyed anything and everyone they held dear, and then when I got my hands on him, well suffice to say he had a lot less skin than he started with, he's still alive being kept in custody by constables of my acquaintance, when I realized what I did I fled down here, a glassman of my acquaintance kept me in parabola during the man hunt, I was captured on leaving the place and thrown into new newgate a fresh tomb colonist, so you ask who I am, my answer is someone the world is better off without. As for the devils I thought they may redeem my soul with them I realized that was a futile endever soon, I now try to work with the church for my sins, and the constables to lock up my old gang who flee to the neath". The old man just for a second looks as if he's said too much, and then simply says "or indeed I could be lying, but the real question is what on earth would be preferable to that?"

--
an old man from the colony's mentioning his name to the right people might get you help to the wrong a beating
0 link
Preacher Tzara
Preacher Tzara

1 days ago
the old man wrote:
Preacher Tzara wrote:

the old man replies simply, &quotdown here someone of little consequence I go to party's I laugh, I drink, I smile, I keep up a reputation of a gentleman, someone killed my family up there, I was a man of disreputable means, I hunted them down, slowly destroyed anything and everyone they held dear, and then when I got my hands on him, well suffice to say he had a lot less skin than he started with, he's still alive being kept in custody by constables of my acquaintance, when I realized what I did I fled down here, a glassman of my acquaintance kept me in parabola during the man hunt, I was captured on leaving the place and thrown into new newgate a fresh tomb colonist, so you ask who I am, my answer is someone the world is better off without. As for the devils I thought they may redeem my soul with them I realized that was a futile endever soon, I now try to work with the church for my sins, and the constables to lock up my old gang who flee to the neath&quot. The old man just for a second looks as if he's said too much, and then simply says &quotor indeed I could be lying, but the real question is what on earth would be preferable to that?&quot

-" To hope,perhaps. Our faces matter not, but our intettions and dreams. We are now below, in a place where the Law does not hold its sway. We shall all die. Why not Have interesting times,hum"?

--
Preacher Tzara: A curious storyteller wrapped in smoke and candlelight. A Journalist of some dubious skill. We began with the river, remember?
0 link
the old man
the old man

1 days ago
Preacher Tzara wrote:

-" To hope,perhaps. Our faces matter not, but our intettions and dreams. We are now below, in a place where the Law does not hold its sway. We shall all die. Why not Have interesting times,hum"?

the old man chuckles and eventually starts laughing, "thaza I cannot figure you out, a devout clergyman to the point of hatred to the devils, but equally you have no interest in confession, you spout most un orthodox views on the neath, you know if I didn't know better I would say your heading down the path of luther, and a new church for the neath." The old keeps a smile, and it is difficult to believe that the earlier statement was true, difficult but not necessarily impossible.

--
0 link
Ixc
Ixc

15 hours ago
Siankan wrote:

Ondine leans in, less to keep from being overheard (Sapho and Six, at the least, would hear) than as a hint for future discretion. ”If anyone understands the dangers of Parabola, it is Tanith. Her chief pastime is rehabilitating those who've become addicted to unreality. It's the chief reason she uses her talents the way she does. There may be dangers lurking in the wide world of Parabola, but I suspect our little raft is as safe as a place may be. And if I know the woman, she'll be watching after we are gone for... irregularities.”

Ixc smiles at the tales of the Professor and his family, and the tension that had seeped into his body eases. “Truth be told, I was curious about those gentlemen. But I’m happy to hear that the Professor is so kind to his employees. Especially given how rare that is in London. And in my line of work.”

He leans forward in curiousity, careful to avoid nudging Sapho’s dishes and glasses. “You clearly are in the know about the Backstage proper, but do you know about Mahogany’s Hall backstage? Perhaps Tanith has enlightened you?”

--
Pleased to meet you. Ixc, spy and detective. Inventor of the Correspondence Cannon.
Are you a Paramount Presence? Record your name here. For posterity, of course.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
0 link
Siankan
Siankan

13 hours ago
Ixc wrote:
Ixc smiles at the tales of the Professor and his family, and the tension that had seeped into his body eases. “Truth be told, I was curious about those gentlemen. But I’m happy to hear that the Professor is so kind to his employees. Especially given how rare that is in London. And in my line of work.”

He leans forward in curiousity, careful to avoid nudging Sapho’s dishes and glasses. “You clearly are in the know about the Backstage proper, but do you know about Mahogany’s Hall backstage? Perhaps Tanith has enlightened you?”

Ondine does not seem to hear him. She is watching the other end of the table, where Sian offers a stuffed morel to the panther. She says, half to herself, "You know, the Professor really is quite fond of cats."

A moment later, her attention returns to present company. "So tell me, Mr. ...ah! I do not seem to have been given your name! So first, I suppose, tell me who you are, and then perhaps the question I was going to ask, about how you spend your time around London."

--
0 link
Six Handed Merchant
Six Handed Merchant

11 hours ago
the old man wrote:
"down here someone of little consequence I go to party's I laugh, I drink, I smile, I keep up a reputation of a gentleman, someone killed my family up there, I was a man of disreputable means, I hunted them down, slowly destroyed anything and everyone they held dear, and then when I got my hands on him, well suffice to say he had a lot less skin than he started with, he's still alive being kept in custody by constables of my acquaintance, when I realized what I did I fled down here, a glassman of my acquaintance kept me in parabola during the man hunt, I was captured on leaving the place and thrown into new newgate a fresh tomb colonist, so you ask who I am, my answer is someone the world is better off without. As for the devils I thought they may redeem my soul with them I realized that was a futile endever soon, I now try to work with the church for my sins, and the constables to lock up my old gang who flee to the neath".

Six appears to nibble absentmindedly on the occasional mushroom as they digest the conversations flowing amicably around them, but when the old man begins to tell the table on his sordid past, the scandalous detective can't help but be drawn in. The mushrooms are soon forgotten, and their aloof mask begins to slip as they try to piece all of the old man's cryptic clues into a more useful secret.
Meanwhile Oscar, wielding a mushroom fork like a foil, pilfers most of Six's mushrooms.

the old man wrote:
The old man just for a second looks as if he's said too much, and then simply says "or indeed I could be lying, but the real question is what on earth would be preferable to that?"

The detective sighs and smiles ruefully. It is likely he is tooling with them. But on the off-chance he is not, Six mentally files away the least dubious details for later reflection.

--
The Six Handed Merchant: If it's the truth you seek, The Six Handed Merchant is the gentlemen-, er, lady-, er, detective you need! Just pay no heed to that Eradication Officer tailing Six: that poor fellow is simply out of his mind!

Six's Mantlepiece (I am available for roleplaying and SAs. My schedule is pretty full, so please PM me first to work out the details.)
0 link
the old man
the old man

6 hours ago
the old man flashes a grin to thaza, and gives a spys nod to six, he absentmindedly looks around and sees eveningsong drinking the zzoup (truly an achievement), "may I congratulate you on drinking the zzoup quite the achievement, have you spent long on the zee."

--
0 link