Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Mr Pages’ Fabularities

“An archive of things that never happened”. An in-character forum for fanfiction and roleplaying. Beware - spoilers abound!

The Cintamani Ball Messages in this topic - RSS

Siankan
Siankan

3/16/2020
the old man wrote:
the old man leans back and smiles as the bird which so often guided him out of madness flits out of sight, the old man sighs and says "this has been a fantastic evening truly, but I fear I have left it too long, my wife will be worried, so unless their is anything truly exceptional I must see, I will bid all good night."

Ondine surveys the lapping waters and the endless Parabolan horizon. Her eyebrow raises. "Were you intending to walk?"

--
Prof. Sian Kan, at your service.
+1 link
the old man
the old man

3/16/2020
the old man smiles "why not? I've been here before, no I amn't mad. I learnt a few tricks from my time here I should be fine." the old man puts on a ruined set of cosmogone spectacles and with a sparkle in his eyes stalks into the distance, "I'll drop by tomorrow and pick up my weapons. And to answerer your questions my dear ondilne, no I was intending to swim," And with that the old man leave (he'll probably be fine, he wouldn't willingly walk into parabola without being 100% sure he won't get attacked.)
edited by the old man on 3/16/2020

--
an old irish spy from the colonies, somewhat irrigo impaired but still sharp as a tack. friendly enough just don't mention parabola he gets awfully melancholic. (an honorary cat my life is complete)
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/The%20old%20man
no plant battles please for the love of god
0 link
Thanos Black
Thanos Black

3/16/2020
Mr Black had been watching the patterns in the bird's flight nearly entranced for quite some time when he is jolted awake by the old man declaring his departure. He raises his glass towards him in a wordless farewell and is soon enraptured once again by the majestic sights of Parabola.

--
Avid Collector of Multifarious Paraphernalia and all Manner of Things Useless, Unwanted and Unnecessary.
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Thanos%20Black
0 link
Aberrant Eremite
Aberrant Eremite

3/17/2020
As the old man begins to cavalierly swim away from the party, Sian stands up in alarm. "Sir! I -"

Tanith interrupts. She has spent the last two hours attempting to placate the guests, smiling and consoling, the picture of friendly humility. But when one of the guests abruptly leaves under his own power, she snaps to attention and her voice cracks like a whip. "Rex!" she calls out. A large dog bounds up to her, heavily furred and lanky with the last months of puppyhood, tongue lolling and eyes burning Viric. Tanith points out the old man. "Follow that man. See that no harm comes to him. Guard, Rex! Guard!" She jabs her finger toward the target, and the dog bounds after him. Soon Rex is lazily dog-paddling alongside the old man, eyes scanning the water for hazards, but favoring his principal with the occasional doggy grin.

--
Hieronymus Drake: Gentleman scholar, big-game hunter, scar-faced aristocrat. Remarkably sane, all things considered.
Tanith Wyrmwood: Longshanks cat-burglar; Bohemian author; now, perhaps, something more. Bubbly, expressive, and affectionate. It’s not only still waters that run deep.
Telemachia Lee: Gentle lady by birth, brawling Docker by choice. Good company in the drunk tank.
0 link
Siankan
Siankan

3/17/2020
Sian gives Tanith a long, hard look, the kind that says, Are you quite sure you aren't mad, friend? However, it doesn't do to question the sanity of one's guide while still in the field, and besides, when you've fought the Nadir for each others' memory, you have a certain base level of trust. After a moment he sighs, sends a last worried looked at the soggy bandages swimming away, and sits down.

"All right, friends. We may as well sit down. Nothing to be done about it now. But may I please ask, if anyone else feels like wandering off, that you at least wait for the main course? I've already got enough to explain to my chef as it is." He smiles for his guests, but a little worry creeps back in his eyes when he lifts them to the moon.

--
+1 link
Aberrant Eremite
Aberrant Eremite

3/17/2020
Tanith gathers her dignity about her like a cloak; it's very nearly visible. She tilts her chin and her smile flashes like a crown. "Trust me, Professor, Protecting visitors to Parabola is my vocation."

She relaxes, her smile becomes gentle, and she dwindles again to a slight young woman with a mischievous look in her dark eyes. "Besides, isn't it time for the main course?"

--
Hieronymus Drake: Gentleman scholar, big-game hunter, scar-faced aristocrat. Remarkably sane, all things considered.
Tanith Wyrmwood: Longshanks cat-burglar; Bohemian author; now, perhaps, something more. Bubbly, expressive, and affectionate. It’s not only still waters that run deep.
Telemachia Lee: Gentle lady by birth, brawling Docker by choice. Good company in the drunk tank.
0 link
Siankan
Siankan

3/17/2020
The Professor agrees. In a twinkling, the favrile bowls are taken away, and tantalizing smells are laid on the table. Beautifully-plated Chateaubriand, cooked in the Escoffier method. Thoroughly English roast gammon. Thoroughly un-English Khan's Heart lamb, sauced with scintillack and cream. A smiling servant stands by to carve each guest's chosen dish.

The sound of Haydn floats out through the moon-soaked night.

--
0 link
Lady Sapho Byron
Lady Sapho Byron

3/17/2020
Lady Byron turns her attention from the departing guest (is she considering a dip herself?) to the Chateaubriand.

"I don't think I'll need to eat for a week after this!" she remarks to Ondine. "Unless this food is not actually real ..."

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Lady%20Sapho%20L%20Byron
Fighting the Menace of Corsetry Since 1892.
0 link
Siankan
Siankan

3/17/2020
"Quite as real as you are, I assure you. The chef wouldn't waste himself on dream-stuff. And I do believe I won't bother with breakfast in the morning, either." Ondine takes her first bite of lamb. "Stunning."
edited by Siankan on 3/17/2020

--
0 link
Thanos Black
Thanos Black

3/17/2020
Mr Black half-heartedly passes on the juicy tenderloin and the delicious-looking gammon to try something from across the Unterzee. His lamb dish is exquisite, the delicious cream adding to its taste instead of drowning it out. Scintillac, on the other hand, is absolutely something he would have never thought of adding to a dish. He cheerfully tops the beginning of the main course by swigging a mouthful of wine with relish.

He takes a moment to close his eyes and allow his other senses to take over, his nostrils tickled with the heady aromas of the main courses, his mouth still filled with the balanced taste of the wine and his ears taking in Haydn's string quartets.

"Mmm, Haydn's music is I suspect the perfect way to accompany such an exquisite feast, dear Professor, although I do admit that Mozart's innovative take on chamber music is more to my liking."

--
Avid Collector of Multifarious Paraphernalia and all Manner of Things Useless, Unwanted and Unnecessary.
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Thanos%20Black
0 link
Shadowcthuhlu
Shadowcthuhlu

3/17/2020
Siankan wrote:

He stops, a bit embarrassed at how long and earnestly he had spoken. He watches for Evensong's reaction a trifle nervously.

Evensong gives him an encouraging smile. It softens up her icy exterior even more. "I love those surface stories of things that may not exist, not even here. Even some of the scarier stories. My spouse's first wife was apparently a treasure trove of stories. Stories that Dirae Erinyes passed down to me. Harpies, Stymphalian birds, sirens. . .I wonder if they told these stories to keep their children in line, from dreaming too far - not that much different from London. But all I can think is that they must have still been beautiful. Even Icarus when he fell."
"You know something that's odd? There are no swans I've seen down here. Don't they belong to the crown."

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Dirae%20Erinyes. Closed to calling cards, but open for all other social action. I also love to roleplay.
0 link
Siankan
Siankan

3/17/2020
Shadowcthuhlu wrote:
Evensong gives him an encouraging smile. It softens up her icy exterior even more. "I love those surface stories of things that may not exist, not even here. Even some of the scarier stories. My spouse's first wife was apparently a treasure trove of stories. Stories that Dirae Erinyes passed down to me. Harpies, Stymphalian birds, sirens. . .I wonder if they told these stories to keep their children in line, from dreaming too far - not that much different from London. But all I can think is that they must have still been beautiful. Even Icarus when he fell."
"You know something that's odd? There are no swans I've seen down here. Don't they belong to the crown."

"The swans on the Thames, ma'am, but they rarely came so far down as London, and I doubt Her Majesty has much chance to exercise that right now."

Tadhg pauses a moment, trying to gauge his conversation partner. Then, just a bit shyly still, "Would you like to hear a story?"

And so he tells stories. The Swan Knight, and the swan maidens of China. Sinbad penetrating the Valley of Diamonds with the help of a roc. The Bird Maidens. The many-colored fenghuang. The terrible vengeance of Weyland. Kinnara and Kinnari. Vishnu riding atop serpent-killing Garuda. The Emperor and the Nightingale. The ever-faithful swallows of Capistrano.

--
0 link
Shadowcthuhlu
Shadowcthuhlu

3/17/2020
Evensong listens, entrances, mindless chewing on her lamb. Dirae Erinyes looks over with a smile, before continuing the watch the Old Man and Rex swim int he parabola lake.
When Tadhg pauses for breath, Dirae Erinyes gives him a clap on the shoulders (probably knocking out the just captured breath).
"Have you ever thought of seeking your fortune with a pen as well as on the zee?"

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Dirae%20Erinyes. Closed to calling cards, but open for all other social action. I also love to roleplay.
0 link
AbsolxGuardian
AbsolxGuardian

3/17/2020
The Spidery Marchioness listens to Sian's stories, taken from all around the world, as she eats her own quite sublime meal.

"I'm not as well versed in mythologies, other than a standard education in the Classics," The Marchioness adds in, not quite realizing that for many people at this table, there would be no such thing as a 'standard classical education', "Of which I don't remember much. But I do remember the tales of the Fair Folk- the faires. I didn't learn of them from my books, but from my nanny- a local Irish woman. She taught me all of their local superstitions, like not to walk through a fairy ring, avoid the fairy mounds, and leave out some food as offerings. She also spoke of their home, the Fairy Realm. A place that- well it's Parabola without the mirrors. She also said that the Fair Folk were angels who'd only fallen half way from Heaven to Hell, so they had to give Satan a tithe of everything they took from humans."

--
Guide to my characters
0 link
Siankan
Siankan

3/17/2020
Shadowcthuhlu wrote:
"Have you ever thought of seeking your fortune with a pen as well as on the zee?"

Tadhg is a touch embarrassed (and a bit out of breath). Sian, however, smiles proudly.

"That is just what we're training him for, to tell you the truth. He's promised to read one of his own compositions for Christmas dinner."

--
0 link
Shadowcthuhlu
Shadowcthuhlu

3/18/2020
Dirae Erinyes continues to beam with approval. "Excellent! Christmas is the time for sharing such stories around a crackling fire - though I'm a touch traditional. Always got to start with a few ghosts to set the mood."
Meanwhile, Evensong stares at the Spidery Marchioness with complete and utter seriousness. "Why would they only give a tithe to hell? Wouldn't they need to appease heaven as well?"

--
0 link
Ixc
Ixc

3/18/2020
Ixc nods sagaciously to the discourse near him, but he is seemingly lost in thought. As the next course arrives, he eats almost automatically, even the fiery edge of scintillack (however muted in cream) failing to nudge him. And then, a napkin rolled into a perfect ball shoots out of nowhere and gently smacks against his face. He slowly comes back to it, and looks around for the source. When he's unable to do so, he says "My apologies. It seems I have missed a lot."

In the meantime, Nora samples the dishes laid out on the table. Curiously, she is missing a napkin.

--
Pleased to meet you. Ixc, spy and detective. Inventor of the Correspondence Cannon.
Are you a Paramount Presence? Record your name here. For posterity, of course.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
0 link
AbsolxGuardian
AbsolxGuardian

3/18/2020
Shadowcthuhlu wrote:
Dirae Erinyes continues to beam with approval. "Excellent! Christmas is the time for sharing such stories around a crackling fire - though I'm a touch traditional. Always got to start with a few ghosts to set the mood."
Meanwhile, Evensong stares at the Spidery Marchioness with complete and utter seriousness. "Why would they only give a tithe to hell? Wouldn't they need to appease heaven as well?"

"I'm not sure," The Marchioness replies to Evensong, giving the question serious consideration. "It certainly wasn't something five year old me would have thought to ask. I suppose if heaven has everything they need, or consider themselves too good for the Fair Folk, they wouldn't ask for it. I suppose if you want to teach your child to be properly afraid of them, you'd only talk about their tribute to Hell."

--
Guide to my characters
0 link
Shadowcthuhlu
Shadowcthuhlu

3/19/2020
"I guess your nurse's bias and agenda in sharing that information with you does make it harder to discern the truth of the matter. I would assume this tribute would be in souls, correct? If Fair folk are fallen angels. . .does that mean angels have souls? Or did I make too big a leap in my first question?" Evensong ponders this while stealing a bit of Dirae Erinyes dish. Dirae Erinyes sneaks a bit of lamb in return.

--
0 link
AbsolxGuardian
AbsolxGuardian

3/19/2020
"Well I don't think it would be their own souls," Aranea replies to Evensong, enjoying this hypothetical. "I haven't thought much about the Fair Folk since I've learned how Hell actually works, but a lot of things are falling into place now- no pun intended. The Fair Folk are feared because they steal people away. Will-o'-the-wisps lead travelers to their doom. They take away children and leave behind Changelings. If you eat from their table, you belong to them. They're also a fan of deals and bargains, but I never heard what happens when you owe them. Perhaps they extract the souls from the people they take, and give their tithe to Hell, and maybe even Heaven."

--
Guide to my characters
0 link