Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

December Exceptional Story: Por Una Cabeza Messages in this topic - RSS

Amalgamate
Amalgamate

6 days ago
Jolanda Swan wrote:

Finally, I really wish for more stories like that, where our actions matter and we are able to bring about a really happy ending if we wish so. It's Christmass, after all!

Actually, that was one of the bits that annoyed me here - our actions really didn't matter.

The three racers were in cahoots, so it didn't matter which one of them won - the three go into business the same way no matter what. Dona Villar gets away the same way regardless of what you do, as far as I can tell. (My heart never warmed up to her and I tried to sabotage her, making sure to tell her to bet on the wrong slug. Didn't matter, she outsmarts the Brass Embassy anyway.)

The funny thing is, I really didn't mind our actions not mattering for the three slug racers! I liked them all, and I was happy to see them all work together. On the other hand, it really annoyed me that Dona Villar got off scot-free regardless of what I did.

--
My profile is at http://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/amalgamate .

Social invitations of all kinds welcome, especially games of chess, deadly sparring, and plant battles! Let me know if you need help with nightmares; I'm always happy for any social actions which increase my nightmares. Or give me Sudden Insights.
+1 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

6 days ago
Amalgamate wrote:
Lettucefighting happens, I believe, every 2 phonograph actions.

...this game really is rather special.

--
Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
+4 link
Fadewalker
Fadewalker

6 days ago
I didn't like the sunken actions though I liked this mechanic. I didn't realize it at the beginning, but cheating is an art of subtlety after all. The phonograph was a secret and the progress of the racers would tell, so we shouldn't cheat in that obvious way.
And I loved some mechanics in this stories, which are actually clever ways of characterization. The discription of "You have a 0% chance of winning this game". And after you advised her to bet on the wrong slug, the covert plot of the spirifer turned overt, but this card would never be played if I helped her. I was a card in her hand, and it made no difference which card would go, she would always make it. All of these convinced me she is Dona Villar, "richer than a duchess, less trustworthy than a viper."
edited by Fadewalker on 12/3/2019

--
A fervent supporter of the Council and the Masters.
0 link
Lomias
Lomias

6 days ago
I just experienced a bug when choosing from options in "Approached by the Press", none of the three options yields a valid result. Could the devs fix this problem??

EDIT: OK it seems to be a universal problem, not ES specific. Anyway, hope that will be fixed soon.
edited by Lomias on 12/3/2019

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lomias
0 link
Shadowcthuhlu
Shadowcthuhlu

5 days ago
So trying to get back into my routine of actually being around here. . .
I enjoyed this story from the start Dirae Erinyes can easily forgive any rats that distract them from the endless schemes at this point. I'm glad the racers were in cahoots so I could give them all a happy ending but I wasn't a fan of the spending resources to cheat and then realizing that was no reason to cheat earlier when you get to the phonogram. Cheated hell out of another soul. If there is one disappointment, is that we don't have minor slug races to bet on

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Dirae%20Erinyes. Closed to calling cards, but open for all other social action. I also love to roleplay.
+1 link
NotaWalrus
NotaWalrus

5 days ago
Knocked it right out of the park. This is now one of my favorite stories, just below Lost in Reflections and Cricket, Anyone? Doña Villar is a brilliantly-written mastermind.
edited by NotaWalrus on 12/4/2019

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/NotaWalrus
Ignacious, the Licentious Scholar, he will accept most social invitations, including boxed cats and affluent photographers (but only betrayals), though he is absent-minded and might take more time than entirely necessary. He apologizes.

Good evening from Ignacious
Ignacious's Backtory
0 link
Yae
Yae

4 days ago
Hmm I dont know, I found this one to be rather disappointing.

Not only did our actions not matter at all, you also had no way of unconvering the plot.
The plot itself was obvious from the beginning, the urchins, them cahooting, and of course her being such a great super over the top mastermind totally untouchable UGH. Just aggrevating and boring. Way too forced.

And on top of that the reward for the whole story was just meh...

That reward point is something I noticed the last months in general. While before you could manage to get great gains in renown, favors or some other qualities, lately you only get large (but ultimately useless) quantities of "selling" materials Glim Shards, Scrap Cloth, etc

--
http://www.fallenlondon.storynexus.com/profile/Yae
0 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

3 days ago
Huh. You really couldn't change the outcome. True. But the fact that I noticed it just now... and the fact that the game told you that from the beginning... when it gave you O% chance to beat Dona Villar... I don't know, I didn't mind. Perhaps because the end was heartwarming, for a change, and even though I disliked the protagonist, I didn't mind at all.
Will the next one be a weasel story? Let it be a weasel story.

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
+1 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

3 days ago
I actually quite liked our inability to change the outcome this time. In most Exceptional Stories, the protagonist is a powerful force who can singlehandedly decide outcomes affecting many other characters. When we're guaranteed to fail, it furthers the story but often isn't sufficiently justified by in-story elements. For example, last month people said that The Committee's endings dissatisfied because each led to the same outcome, when in-universe many of our characters could have done more. It's the cutscene incompetence problem: our character is smart enough to beat the Boatman at chess but is tricked by some NPC, or can rob the Bazaar but can't sneak up on an amateur. The difference with this story is that your character isn't outplayed by someone less qualified—the game is rigged from the start. We're not forced to lose, it just doesn't matter when we win.

It also helps that, unlike Chandler's previous stories, this one ends up character-focused. We still have the trappings of an adventure story, gallivanting around and uncovering secrets, and that part's definitely fun. But while the big event of the story implies the racers are the important ones, the real focus is the woman who, for most of the story, seemingly does nothing to contribute. I can see why someone might dislike her shameless, unbeatable cheating, but that's not the point of her character. We're told from the start that she cons people; the story is about learning why.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Cider? Just say hi! Christmas Cards appreciated though, especially the Fogscape with Tentacles.

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+2 link
Arcengal
Arcengal

2 days ago
I feel like Chandler can't really put a foot wrong. Every story I've played that he's written (including my first, the Rat Catcher) has been simply amazing.

[spoiler] I can understand the murmurings about our actions not mattering as a player, but having gone from wanting the rats to win to suddenly wanting the urchins to win to OH LORD WHAT DO I TELL HER TO BET ON?!, it was a terrific ride and I was genuinely stumped about what to do in the end. I was glad of the happy ending because it made me feel my choices mattered, even if there was no *wrong* choice. I do feel the outcome of her bet with Hell should have been more impactful than it turned out to be (I chose to help her win) but, again, it was so well-written and well paced that I can't complain.[/spoiler]

I also loved that me going to Flute Street was something that came up, and from what I'm seeing I'm envious of all your crazy cider owners.

Was there a different bit of text for anyone on Heart's Desire! ? I saw that was a requirement for the lines I saw.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Arcengal
0 link
NotaWalrus
NotaWalrus

17 hours ago
I did also kinda like how our choices didn't matter so much. It was refreshing to face off against a mastermind who already has all the cards, has prepared for every eventuality, and just needs you to play your own part. This story nailed the feeling of being a pawn in greater game more than any story related to the Great Game I have played.

We didn't have a chance to change the outcome and that's kind of the point. After all, we have a 0% chance of success.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/NotaWalrus
Ignacious, the Licentious Scholar, he will accept most social invitations, including boxed cats and affluent photographers (but only betrayals), though he is absent-minded and might take more time than entirely necessary. He apologizes.

Good evening from Ignacious
Ignacious's Backtory
+1 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

9 hours ago
I understand that Chandler always uses as many of the player character's resources as he can. Which is... amazing. Even if it's just a mention of your profession, or your accomplishments. First because it makes you happy and makes the story more alive and personal, and second because it leaves no annoying plot-holes, that slight disconnect you feel when an ES pretends you have never been to the palace before. Masterful!

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
+1 link