Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

Hallowmas 1897 Messages in this topic - RSS

Hannah Flynn
Hannah Flynn
Administrator

10/24/2019

The gaslamps flicker in the street. Sensible Londoners draw their curtains close and bank their fires high in their hearths. The Season of Hallowmas is here.

Hallowmas has returned to London! The Feast of Masks! A free festival, open to all citizens.

Hallowmas is a time of licence and liberty, when Londoners are permitted to don masks and engage in activities of dubious respectability.

Go masked to exclusive Hallowmas parties. Raise your scandal, suspicion and nightmares, and unburden yourself to the seven Attendants. Expose certain of your Companions to the sights of Hallowmas and leave them changed.

The Feast of Masks

There's a lot you can get away with when wearing a mask.

There are three masks available at Hallowmas. Select yours, gain access to a secretive Hallowmas revel, and indulge yourself to raise your Scandal, Suspicion or Nightmares.

The Attendants

In the small hours of the morning, seven individuals were brought to the Bazaar. Their identities concealed, each is now only the bearer of their mask. They have become the Attendants.

Many Londoners wear masks. Only seven have been called on to do so by the Masters themselves.

The Smiling Jester. The Glasswhisper. The Knight of Numbers. The Silent Shame. The False Student. The Fool’s Apostate. Hammerstrike.

Specific combinations of Confessions can be brought to the Visitors if you have a certain Companion. These Confession combinations can then be used to upgrade that Companion to a new, Hallowmas version.

Confessions

Confessions will be released for free during the Festival, and also available to buy for Fate. You will receive a maximum of 13 free Confessions (some in week one, and more in week two).

There are six types of Confession in total, though not all will be available until the second week of the festival. Confessions can be unlocked on the Streets of London: Hallowmas 1897 card, and traded with other players to achieve the combination you desire.

In order to make a trade with someone else in Fallen London, you will need to add them as an acquaintance, either by visiting their profile page and clicking ‘add contact’ or by typing in their character name during the trade.

Begin trading with other players on The Streets of London: Hallowmas 1897, available throughout London.

The Spirit of Hallowmas

Throughout the festival, look for a card in the Opportunity Deck called The Fool's Judgement. This will allow you to convert Scandal, Suspicion or Nightmares into Spirit of Hallowmas.

At the end of the festival, you'll be visited by a special character who will provide rewards dependent on the level of your Spirit of Hallowmas. The nature of this character will depend on the Menace you've most frequently converted.

Destinies

The Feast of Masks, when opposites meet at midnight! This is the season of unexpected guests… who carry terrible glimpses of possible futures.

Acquire a destiny, or change yours for a new one. This can only be done at certain times of the year, so take advantage of the chance! Begin with Attract a Visitor at Hallowmas.

Your Presence is Awaited

This year, London’s Feast of Masks will take place from 24th October until the 7th of November.

You will be able to glimpse your Destiny from the 31st of October.

After the festival closes on the 7th, you’ll be able to turn in confessions and claim rewards until the 14th.

We hope you enjoy the revels!

--
Wields the news canon, aboard the hype train.
+8 link
Hannah Flynn
Hannah Flynn
Administrator

10/25/2019
I'm glad to see everyone having fun with the new elements of Hallowmas!

--
Wields the news canon, aboard the hype train.
+9 link
Siankan
Siankan

10/26/2019
I wanted to point something out that I think is getting lost in the general delight of the Menace Masques and all their grandeur. Hallowmas has, ever since the major reboot of 1894, been dogged by two problems: confession pinches and limited information. I have mentioned these myself, and I've hardly been alone. This year, however, Failbetter has taken both of these problems head-on.

1. We were told, at the very beginning, precisely how many confessions we were getting, so that we could plan from day one exactly what we wanted and needed to do.

2. The new writing (which, let's admit, is becoming as big a Hallowmas draw as the companion upgrades) has been divorced from confessions entirely, so that we no longer have last year's choice of companions v. story for those of us on a budget. Consequently, we also have no need for the emergency confession distributions of years past.

3. Speaking of confessions, without all the extra draws on them, they no longer feel pinched. I can get all the companion upgrades I really want with the free confessions. Completionists will still need Fate, which is entirely reasonable, but I don't feel left out of the event simply because I'm an adjunct professor with three kids to feed.

4. When first-day confusion did pop up (as it will), we got in-game clarification within a few hours. People were confused about masks and masques; text appeared clarifying their relationship. People were confused about Menace gear; text appeared clarifying how that affects the judgement of the Fool's Apostate. These little in-game reminders are far more valuable than any number of forum posts, and will reach every player.

The in-game text, more loudly than anything else, tells me that Failbetter has learned from past events, and very much has its collective ear to the ground this year. So Chris, Olivia, James, Hannah, and all the rest of you, I just wanted you to know that the little improvements (and the hard work behind them) are noticed and appreciated.

Will you raise the Broken Giant with me? To failing better!

--
Prof. Sian Kan, at your service.
+8 link
James Sinclair
James Sinclair

10/26/2019
Siankan wrote:
Will you raise the Broken Giant with me? To failing better!
I agree wholeheartedly. A glass of Hell's best for everyone! The FBG team has really done a splendid job this year not only with setting up the event, but being responsive as well. And they addressed another complaint from last year: that the upgraded companions reused the same art as their normal counterparts. I'm really enjoying the new artwork for both the new companions and the event storylets.

--
James Sinclair

Curator of the Sanguine Ribbon Society 🗡

A fully-fledged rêveur of The Night Circus.

Wines is red
Spices is yellow
But old Jack-of-Smiles
Is a murderous fellow
+8 link
silurica
silurica

11/1/2019
Here are the stats of all the new companions we have this Hallowmas:

Basic companions:
  • Rubbery Feline (Shadowy +3, Bizarre +1)
  • Sedulous Cryptanalyst (Watchful +6)

Upgraded companions:
  • Condolent Monkey (Persuasive +5, Watchful +5, Bizarre +1)
  • Melancholy Monkey (Dangerous +5, Shadowy +5, Watchful +2)
  • Unforgiving Urchin (Dangerous +5, Persuasive +5, Watchful +2)
  • Dutiful Orphan (Persuasive +4, Watchful +4, Bizarre +1)
  • Consummate Wallflower (Watchful +6, Bizarre +1, Respectable +1)
  • Nimble-fingered Intelligencer (Watchful +6, Bizarre+1, Dreaded +1)
  • Rubbery Herald (Persuasive +8, Watchful +3, Dreaded +1)
  • Only-Semi-Retired Privateer Charter Clerk (Watchful +6, Dangerous +7)
  • Ex-Privateer Illustration Illuminator (Watchful +5, Shadowy +8)
  • Morally and Physically Flexible Rubbery Cat (Shadowy +8, Bizarre +2)
  • Iconoclastic Cryptanalyst (Watchful +8, Dreaded +2)

edited by silurica on 11/1/2019

--
Meika Osborne, the Reckless Researcher
Leonard West, the Scarlet Informant
Chizuru Nishiooji, the Rueful Ex-Diplomat
+8 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

11/5/2019
The Spirit of the North is here!

--
ESs items and quality requirements sheet. Please check if there are errors or if something is missing
Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
+7 link
silurica
silurica

11/4/2019
Sam, thank you for the heads up. I've checked the Masques myself, it seems these are the new cycles:

Pride → Impropriety (St Elmo, Watchmaker's)
Impropriety → Curiosity (Butterflies, Veilgarden)
Curiosity → Pride (St Dunstan, Spite)

Whimsy → Guile (St Dunstan, Spite)
Guile → Violence (St Elmo, Watchmaker's)
Violence → Whimsy (Butterflies, Veilgarden)

Yes, instead of ending at Violence, the flow now has been split into two.

I find this to be a shame, since I liked how there was the option of doing this solo for those who want it (at the cost of action efficiency), while those who don't mind trading with other players would've done so regardless of the existence of these branches in the Masques. How the flow ended at Violence before was an issue, but I think I'd have preferred it if it was fixed to make a full cycle instead of this.

--
+6 link
silurica
silurica

11/2/2019
I think the Masters of Ceremonies are...

[spoiler]The Saturnine Duke is perhaps the easiest one: the Bishop of St Fiacre's. The decoration, music, and dancing in the masque are said to have originated from the Elder Continent, the Duke speaks of the nature of change, and they said St Dunstan's has been running low on candles since he arrived.

For the Merry Captain, I'm not as sure about this, but I'll place my bet on Feducci. The hold of St Elmo contains a journal detailing Southerly expeditions and various items from the Elder Continent, and of note is the bottle of wine from Arbor, which Feducci once sought (though whether he managed to enter the city itself or not was left hanging).The Captain himself has a fondness for explorers and accounts of their expeditions.

As for the Queen of Air and Darkness, I have both an answer and no answer. The writing of the masque hints pretty aggressively at its Parabolan aspect, and the Queen herself has the aesthetic of the Bloody/Red-Handed Queen: vision of a sky with red lightnings, red gloves, red hands, red butterflies... even the Strangling Willow Absinthe is red! The issue is the Queen herself shouldn't be able to make an appearance here in the Is, therefore this must be one of her avatar or agents, but I don't know who between those that we know of would be such an extravagant queen as the Queen of Air and Darkness is.[/spoiler]

--
+5 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

10/24/2019
I love what I have seen so far. The mechanics seem simple and straightforward, the locations are wonderful, but most importantly, this feels like an actual celebration across the city, with lots of things to do, and parties, and merriment, and mayhem, and... and... masks! Actual masks that matter!

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
+5 link
the old man
the old man

10/24/2019
hallomass now eh time to chug black wings absinthian

--
an old man from the colony's mentioning his name to the right people might get you help to the wrong a beating
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/The%20old%20man
no plant battles please for the love of god
+5 link
Siankan
Siankan

10/24/2019
Well, I'm excited. It seems we've got an interesting year ahead of us. Thank you particularly for letting us know up front how many confessions we have to work with.

--
+4 link
silurica
silurica

10/26/2019
Pryno Belle wrote:
Did anyone saw different options in the menaces states? The Mirror-Marshes, Venderbight and the prison? It does say in the guide to Hallowmas that they opened up new options. Sounds like something to try before you switch your mask.

I have personally confirmed a new card each in the following menace areas: a state of some confusion, the Mirror-Marches, exile, and New Newgate Prison. The cards are standard frequency with silver border, all requiring the relevant menace to be below 6 (the exact wording is "you needed 5 at most"). The type of mask you wear doesn't matter. They only let you leave the menace area early, which I suppose come in handiest for dodging dream penalties in the nightmares areas and the quirks and action sinks in exile.

I tried checking death too, but (as expected) didn't find any new card. Might check it for the second time to be extra sure.

Jolanda Swan wrote:
....and now I have donned all three masks.
Note that they open not one but two extra options in each area. The second opens after menace 5. So if you want to experience everything in each ball, you will need to enter with the proper mask - plus you had better avoid any menace-gear. They help you exit faster, but they won't let you get the options as you will be expelled as soon as you get to 5 instead of 7.

It seems I'm late to this one, but correcting this for anyone else that might be reading: all but one option in the Masques are Airs-dependent and will lock when your menace reach 7. So, for example, in the Pavilion of Butterflies you can hunt for butterflies or toast to the Queen no matter what your nightmares level is at as long as you have the correct Airs.
edited by silurica on 10/26/2019

--
+4 link
JaneAnkhVeos
JaneAnkhVeos

11/2/2019
[spoiler]A dancing snuffer! Moreover, the dancing Bishop! Hell, it shouldn’t be half as cute as it is.

As for the Red-Handed Queen’s presence – perhaps the borders between Parabola and reality grow thinner that night, as befits Samhain?[/spoiler]

--
|| the Nocturnal Nostalgist, pawnbroker of dreams and memories ||
+4 link
silurica
silurica

11/2/2019
There is no sight of a +20 weapon, and there was no promise for it to begin with. What happened in past festivals may not happen again in future festivals, and so on.

--
+4 link
James Sinclair
James Sinclair

11/3/2019
As a reminder to anyone with access to the Finishing School (from the Christmas seasonal story The Empress' Shadow), the seasonal opportunity card 'Confessions' appears in the school card deck during Hallowmas. If you pass the luck check on the card, you will get a random visit from one of your students with some interesting text.

--
James Sinclair

Wines is red
Spices is yellow
But old Jack-of-Smiles
Is a murderous fellow
+4 link
the old man
the old man

11/5/2019
Skinnyman wrote:

do you recall how we came to this place

--
an old man from the colony's mentioning his name to the right people might get you help to the wrong a beating
+4 link
Waterpls
Waterpls

11/5/2019
Skinnyman impressive result! It would be quite amusing if FBG manually converts all your Spirit to Unaccountably Peckish
edited by Waterpls on 11/5/2019

--
Long grinds: Heptagoat 1/7; Cider Done; Correspondence 21/21; Paramount 4/4.
+4 link
JaneAnkhVeos
JaneAnkhVeos

11/6/2019
the old man wrote:

And they sang of the Feast made for hiding your face...

--
+4 link
Dudebro Pyro
Dudebro Pyro

11/7/2019
Well, this is delightful! At 1510 from rather leisurely partying, I just barely got enough for the one option that gives truly rare and mostly fate-locked items. The only more expensive option gives some fantastic profits, but nothing unique. And the fact that I don't have nearly enough to explore a variety of options is completely fine as well, since none of the options give anything truly unique, yet they're all worth enough and are hard enough to grind that none of the options feel like they would be a waste if I had the Spirit to spare.

On top of that, I persevered with the St Elmos masques because, despite not typically being a suspicion/criminal sort, it just struck me as the most agreeable and almost wholesome of the events. And who was the host but His bloody Amused Lordship himself, one of my favourite characters and the best affiliation I could have asked for!

Add to this the nice mechanics from the Feast itself, the well-explained and generously distributed confessions and the excellent new companions with actual art this time - I've now got one monkey who's sad, and one monkey that consoles the sad one, among other things - and this was honestly the best Hallowmas I've had so far (having only experienced the post-1894 reform ones).

--
Dudebro Pyro, eccentric scholar

Spare Starveling Kitties always welcome. I collect them.
For that matter, send me your unwanted cat boxes too.
+4 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

11/8/2019
Aardvark wrote:
I completely agree that this was likely the best and most enjoyable Hallowmas of them all - and I'm saying that as one of the two people on the forums who actually immensely enjoyed the Great Notability Grind of 1894 :P .

This Hallowmas was definitely an improvement over the last couple, but I still had more fun with old Hallowmas, when we got Spirit via social actions. The new mechanics are more polished and have more flavor, but exchanging social actions with hundreds of other players gave a sense of communal play that hasn't happened since. This year's Spirit grind was fun but quickly turned to just going through the motions. Although my perspective may be colored by falling short of 2500 Spirit this year, in contrast to my experiences with old Hallowmas after we learned the target amount.

I miss Huffam, though...

theonie wrote:
Can I ask did you end Hallowmas by wearing a mask, or had you removed it before the end? I tried on all three (for the lore) and kept the Moth Mask at the end so now I'm wondering whether that directed me towards the Queen. Otherwise, it must be as you say, and I spent more time in the Pavilion than I realized!

I still had my mask at the end. Pretty sure the only factor was how many times you turned in each menace—it was just very difficult to keep track for some reason.
edited by Optimatum on 11/8/2019

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Cider? Just say hi!

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+4 link
silurica
silurica

11/13/2019
Add me to the choir of those who miss Huffam. His interviews were always a delight and let us learn a little more about the involved parties. The Hallowmas edition of the Gazette is sorely missed.

--
+4 link
JaneAnkhVeos
JaneAnkhVeos

11/19/2019
Aardvark wrote:
Catherine Raymond wrote:
... The Pavilion of Butterflies (associated with the Moth Mask) at which I spent all my time involved some activities that left the participants' hands red. The text coyly suggests that fingerpainting was involved, but I suspect the real substance in question was blood. Ah, if only the text had been more explicit!

Ah yes, blood, clearly. But was it blood of human beings? Or something else altogether? Mayhap bloody tears Heaven itself cries in the realms of Is-Not, mourning the doomed rulers whose realms can never extend beyond the mirrors to simply Be?

Or we have found a cellar full of delicious cherry jam (and, alas, no spoons).

--
+4 link
dov
dov

11/8/2019
Aardvark wrote:
I completely agree that this was likely the best and most enjoyable Hallowmas of them all - and I'm saying that as one of the two people on the forums who actually immensely enjoyed the Great Notability Grind of 1894 :P .

I still sorely miss the mechanics of Hallowmas 1891 and 1892. Especially the "Trust" and "Betrayed by" qualities, which really added a unique level to character interactions.

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+3 link
Catherine Raymond
Catherine Raymond

11/12/2019
Chronos wrote:
Well,I liked this Hallowmas.
First thing, finally we have the masks (even if they are qualities and not items)for the feast of masks.
I liked the companions' upgrades this year. The different art for upgrades is a welcome back feature.
I fairly enjoyed the spirit grind; too bad I hadn't much time to raise my spirit enough to get the three Elements of Dawn.

I hope in the future notable londoners will come back too, maybe they could give you some of the 13 free confessions.

I missed a little the "Mayor wants confessions" part, but I also think this year I should have gone for the companions and not for the weapon.

Finally, If I'm not wrong, no Huffman this year. I'll miss him and I hope he comes back in the future with the Hallowmas Edition.

I also missed Huffman. Fancy having him interview you about your exploits at your favorite Masque!

--
Cathy Raymond
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/cathyr19355

Catherine Raymond aka Mrs. Rykar Malkus http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Catherine%20Raymond (Gone NORTH)
+3 link
enail
enail

11/10/2019
What a great Hallowmas! Interesting new content, a real sense of atmosphere, and lots of varied rewards. Even though I got sick towards the end and missed some spirit-grinding I'd intended to do, I still feel like what I got was very satisfying, without being excessive. I'm especially excited about the new affiliation/card. Thank you, Failbetter!
+3 link
theonie
theonie

11/7/2019
Optimatum wrote:
theonie wrote:
How did you end up with a choice of all three? The only option available to me was the Queen but I thought I had spent about the same time / number of visits to each party, and obviously converted all three Menaces to Spirit.

I was very careful to turn in each menace the same number of times (total quantity converted didn't matter) and used some tech wizardry to stay on track. It was really easy to get off-course; I think some of FBG's tweaks at the beginning of the holiday made things unpredictable.

Thanks for the reply -- keeping track of the vists/ menace conversion is a good idea! I should have made a spreadsheet smile will do next year if FB keep this format. Which, actually! does everyone not agree this has been the best Hallowmas? I think FB have finally found their winning plan for this holiday and should keep it -- perhaps with minor tweaks -- at least for another couple of years! smile

--
theonie, an inescapable, midnight, terrifying, and irresistible lady. All social actions except Affluent Photographer welcome. As a Midnighter, will gladly accept all invitations to Orphanages.
+3 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

11/6/2019
7777. Gods.

I am nowhere near and I have been partying non-stop in EF mode, with a small break to play the ES.
I think we found the Monarch of Hallowmass.

PS For some reason, upon seeing it was Skinnyman who made it, I almost typed Shallowmass, as in shallow, skinny cheeks, and then Lovecraft hit me with a stick.

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
+3 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

11/6/2019
Uh, thank you! It was indeed something interesting to do taking into account that the last one was pretty dull.

the old man wrote:
I can't see anything now.
Waterpls wrote:
Skinnyman impressive result! It would be quite amusing if FBG manually converts all your Spirit to Unaccountably Peckish
Lyme will end up buying the whole market!
Jolanda Swan wrote:
*snip*

PS For some reason, upon seeing it was Skinnyman who made it, I almost typed Shallowmass, as in shallow, skinny cheeks, and then Lovecraft hit me with a stick.
My name went like a glove with the So Hungry option. Option which I used few hundred times!
I'm afraid I don't have time for formatting so I'll just post this Reddit post on how I did it all. Worth mentioning that I discarded all cards except Rev, Flint, Visitors and One's Public, Wolfstack in fog while all of my AP went to this grind after Friday/Saturday.

--
ESs items and quality requirements sheet. Please check if there are errors or if something is missing
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
+3 link
Waterpls
Waterpls

11/7/2019
the old man wrote:
I see on the wiki there's a reward for having 2500 or more anyone care to inform us mortals of its contents

Its title. No material reward.

--
+3 link
Tozh Taurog
Tozh Taurog

11/6/2019
It has been probably already discussed somewhere, but I missed it, so allow me to say: I love the companion artwork this year! There new things, and there are some that are just minor changes from old pictures, but they are different! As one of the (only somewhat obsessive) companion collectors, I'm very happy. Thank you, FBG.

My favorites are the Rubbery Felines, both of them. Now I need to decide how to classify them - with the other cats, or with the Rubberies?

--
A Correspondent. Thrilled to advance science by educating the younger generation at your Orphanage. A Marvellous player. Willing to talk about it to the press. An amateur horticulturist.
Usually up for socializing, especially with text.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/TozhTaurog
+3 link
Dudebro Pyro
Dudebro Pyro

11/7/2019
Small correction, GMT is now off BST and back to UTC.

--
Dudebro Pyro, eccentric scholar

Spare Starveling Kitties always welcome. I collect them.
For that matter, send me your unwanted cat boxes too.
+3 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

11/7/2019

This is going to be a tough choice...

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+3 link
Siankan
Siankan

11/7/2019
I also agree that the rewards setup was very good. The final reveal does sadden me a bit--I would have preferred HAL and was a bit shy of pocketing new Mountain-Sherds for the collection--but that's more my fault than anything. Well done, Failbetter! I think you've got us all hoping for next year's Masques. (Please?)

--
+3 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

11/7/2019
I wonder if they will keep the same format next year! It will be even more frantic, now that we know the amounts of Spirit required for the hightest rewards and the titles.

--
+3 link
Tsar Koschei
Tsar Koschei

11/7/2019
Siankan wrote:
So, did the Pavilion of Butterflies just get me involved with

[spoiler]a bunch of Seekers?[/spoiler]

Servants of the Red-Handed Queen, rather. A fearsome figure mainly active in Parabola, quite apart from Mr Eaten I think.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Tsar%20Koschei

No chess, loitering, friendly sparring, coffee at Caligula's or Affluent Photographer, please.
+3 link
Krysin
Krysin

11/7/2019
Wait wait wait! Did I make a stupid assumption; did I not read the thing properly!? Please please please tell me I can still get the companions!
I had just gotten the last confession I needed
to get all I wanted... nnnnnoooooooooo

earthbourn wrote:
For some reason, I took the statement that we could turn in our confessions for an additional week to mean that we could still upgrade companions in that time. Finished all my confession trades last night and failed to use any of them.

RIGHT!?! SERIOUSLY, COME ON!

--
I am Krysin.
+3 link
Jason5237
Jason5237

11/7/2019
I too had interpreted the announcement timeline as having until the 14th to utilize rewards. Looks like that meant spirit of Hallowmas and unused confessions, not companion upgrades.

J-

--
H.G.R.: Adventuer, Explorer, Paramount Londoner https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/User766505
+3 link
Krysin
Krysin

11/7/2019
The wording of the description is ambiguous! They should reset the end of Halloween so that people who didn't get any companions can get them and those who sold their confessions(perhaps in frustration) can still do it.

--
I am Krysin.
+3 link
silurica
silurica

11/5/2019
Shalinoth wrote:
Can we only select one of the new Chap on the Corner upgrades? Or is there a way to go collect a duplicate of him?

Yes, for all upgraded companions, you can get the base companion again with enough Favours in the same place where you first got them. For the Chap, this would be the Flit with five Favours: Constables.

--
+3 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

11/3/2019
The Masters of Ceremonies are described as "roles," and selected by the Masters themselves. Kinda similar to the Attendants.

I suspect that whoever is selected, they give themselves up to the role that they are playing. If this is the case, then each MC is actually two mysteries for the price of one: The role and the player. Note that if this is true, the Roles are probably ancient and have... complicated relationships to the Bazaar. I kind of suspect that the purpose or symbolism of Hallowmas is to ward against the Bazaar's enemies.

[spoiler]
I think that the Role of the Queen of Air and Darkness is unquestionably the Red-Handed Queen. I don't know who the player is, but the Captivating Princess is a sensible suggestion. I don't know where the butterflies come from. There's some purple, but not enough to be Lilac.

The Saturnine duke makes a lot of references to both Snuffers and Hell. One advantage of my theory is that it lets us cover both of these bases. Either the Player is the Bishop of St Fiacre and the Role is... some prominent devil, possibly The Chandler from that one ES. Or else, the Role is the Theif-of-Faces, and the Player a devil. But I don't know which one.

I don't have a lot to guess about the Role of the Merry Captain. I suspect it's connected to either Seeking or Sunless Sea/Sunless Skies. I agree that the two most likely players are Feducci and His Amused Lordship, with a slight edge towards Feducci from me.
[/spoiler]

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/PSGarak
+3 link
Kharsirr Lynx
Kharsirr Lynx

10/25/2019
Quidam wrote:
I love the three masked ball. I wish the type of Menace tied to each ball were better foreshadowed in the choice of mask, although they might already be foreshadowed and I'm just to stupid to notice it.

I don't quite understand how the confession system work. I choose the moth mask and went to the ball in Veilgarden (hehe, moth ball). Someone came to see me when my nightmare quality reached 7. After that, I could get a random confession, until the option disappeared, a little bit after (but not immediately after, if my memory is correct) I had changed my mask to the one representing a demon, and made an appearance to the ball in watchmaker's hill. However, I decided then to return to the derelict ship, and raised my suspicion to 7, to get another visitor (not to be confused with a strange visitor, who show your futur), but the option to get a confession did not reappeared. Speaking of strange visitor, was this because I made the moronic decision to choose a possible futur, and therefore made the "The Gates of Midnight" option appeared, when I already had a destiny?

Sorry for the questions. I don't think it's a bug, probably just a screw up on my part. It's probably incredibly obvious to everyone what I did wrong, but I have the intellectual capacity of a slug, so I don't understand.

You can get 7 Confessions first week, and 6 more on second one.

You can buy upgraded companions with Confessions.

You can exchange your Menaces, assuming you have Menace 7, to Spirit of Hallowmas.

The Spirit can't be cashed out in any way yet, we can only collect more.

It will be cashed out, somehow, at the end of the Hallowmas, depending of which Menace you would have trade in more.

Confessions and Spirit is the two totally different things mechanics-wise. I do hope there will be a way to convert Spirit to Confessions though! But only hope.

Oh, and different Masques will help you to get the Menaces up relatively quickly.

It's much easier if your chosen Mask correlates with Masque - better options are available then.
edited by Kharsirr Lynx on 10/25/2019

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Kharsirr%20Lynx
+3 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

10/30/2019
The lack of RNG related progress is deeeeeeply appreciated.

--
+3 link
Shaerys
Shaerys

10/31/2019
Μαρσ wrote:
So that means you can cycle through all Confessions except for Violence. smile
Guile → Impropriety → Curiosity → Pride → Whimsy → Guile → Violence

Hmm, should one read that as "all roads lead to violence," or rather that "violence leads you nowhere?"

--
http://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/Shaerys
Courier's Footprint, pleased to offer introductory Correspondence instruction to Orphans, Urchins, Waifs, Scamps, and other Tatterdemalions.
+3 link
Snort
Snort

10/31/2019
Siankan wrote:
Μαρσ wrote:

Hmmm... I get the feeling that that should've exchanged Violence for Guile instead of the other way around. That said, I'm going to chalk this cycle up as another good piece of design. It encourages you to trade (since it takes a lot less effort to trade directly for your confessions), but leaves those unwilling or unable to deal with other players a way to get the right set of confessions. Except for those with too much Violence, of course... so that was either an accident or (as far as I can see) a design flaw.

Or perhaps it’s an attempt to [cough] end the cycle of violence.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Snort
+3 link
Ulysses Kingfisher
Ulysses Kingfisher

10/24/2019
My fellow citizens might wish to know that choosing the "Change Your Mask" option commits one to doing so (i.e., there is no "perhaps not") at the cost of 10 points of the Spirit of Hallowmas.

--
C'est moi
+3 link
Aardvark
Aardvark

10/24/2019
Siankan wrote:
I wonder: is there a particular significance behind the Smiling Jester, or is the lovely new art just to make us all jealous for his mask?

(Also, is it weird to anyone else that the tall guy holding up his wine glass is actually a Winsome Dispossessed Orphan?)
edited by Siankan on 10/24/2019

Incredible how fast they're growing up, eh?

Perhaps it's one from the first batch we've sent to the tigers of the Wakeful Court, finished with his... apprenticeship?

--
Sir Reginald Monteroy, Paramount Glassman, Courier's Footprint, Poet-Laureate and Cider owner.

http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Sir Reginald Monteroy

If you desire a sip of Hesperidean Cider, PM me in the game.
+3 link
Ixc
Ixc

10/24/2019
Siankan wrote:

(Also, is it weird to anyone else that the tall guy holding up his wine glass is actually a Winsome Dispossessed Orphan?)

Maybe it's two Orphans in a big trenchcoat, toasting you with grape juice?

--
Pleased to meet you. Ixc, spy and detective. Inventor of the Correspondence Cannon.
Are you a Paramount Presence? Record your name here. For posterity, of course.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
+3 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

10/24/2019
I've never considered a Rubbery Feline before, but perhaps it was what I needed all along...

Catherine Raymond wrote:
I am more perturbed by the fact that you need to trade with Acquaintances. My Acquaintances have maxed out a long while ago.

I'm also maxed out on contacts, but the site redesign apparently works around this. If you try to add a contact while at the contact limit, they won't be permanently added to your list, but while in that social action you can still select them as recipient.

fafer.forums wrote:
This is my first Hallowmas, so i don't understand the whole process concept. Maybe i'm stupid, but what are masks used for? And which mask is tied with which menace?

About whole concept, so first i get confession (13 total for free?) and i can trade them for different ones or use them for companions upgrades at Attendants. Is there somewhere list of each companion bonus? Is there possibility to plan ahead for particular companion or is it luck based?

What is point of attracting a visitor?

If i already have destiny, can i change it for free now?

So, there's a few different moving parts here.
  • You can raise Spirit of Hallowmas by getting Scandal, Suspicion, or Nightmares to 7. There's a Masque corresponding to each menace, and it usually costs a Favour to enter, but having a Mask lets you enter the corresponding Masque for free and unlocks extra options inside. You can change your Mask to explore all the options by spending Spirit of Hallowmas.
  • Confessions can be used to upgrade specific companions. Each upgrade requires a specific combination of confessions, so you can trade with other players to get ones you need. Information on each companion's stats will soon be available on the wiki. Note that some companions require confessions that aren't available this week.
  • Attracting a visitor lets you get a Destiny, or a couple other niche uses. Changing your Destiny costs fate. There's some cool text you can explore though.

edited by Optimatum on 10/24/2019

--

+3 link
Aardvark
Aardvark

10/25/2019
the old man wrote:
...and only hell is honest about its intentions

Which, considering the fact that said intentions involve making our souls more palatable for consumption and then relieving us from them, hardly makes them the morally superior faction wink

Hannah Flynn wrote:

I add my voice to those expressing gratitude for and enthusiasm about this year's rendition of Hallowmas. I especially appreciate all the fantastic new artwork to go along with the (as always superb) new writing!

--
Sir Reginald Monteroy, Paramount Glassman, Courier's Footprint, Poet-Laureate and Cider owner.

+3 link
string
string

10/24/2019
Siankan wrote:
I do have one question: Thirteen confessions is cute and all, but why give an odd number, when every companion requires two to upgrade? Does this just doom Fate-less players to having one confession wasted?

The Condolent Monkey, Iconoclastic Cryptanalyst, and Morally and Physically Flexible Rubbery Cat each require three confessions, so if a player gets either one or all three then they can use all their confessions without fate.

Jolanda Swan wrote:
Another question: What will we need spirit of Hallowmas for? I want to try on all three masks, and then go back to my original crown mask. Am I likely to be short of it for something?

The rewards you get at the end of the festival depend on your Spirit of Hallowmas level.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Cass%20Wilder
+3 link
yetanotherone
yetanotherone

10/24/2019
This is a great new system for Hallowmas. So many new things to do and read.

After a bit of messing about with masques & masks and spirit, it looks like I'm going to have to figure out how to optimise menace gains, which is an interesting twist.

It's even better for new players, who can spam difficult challenges for stat gain with impunity, and then dump all the menaces from failing once it hits 7.

Or technically 5/6 - if you don't already have 'em, get the menace-boosting hats & stockings from Maywell at the Bazaar, because these count:

https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Hat#Nightmares
https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Boots#Scandal

Oh, and a rubbery cat! No-one knew they wanted one of them 'til now.

Jolanda Swan wrote:
What will we need spirit of Hallowmas for? I want to try on all three masks, and then go back to my original crown mask. Am I likely to be short of it for something?

Unknown, but:

"At the end of the festival, you'll be visited by a special character who will provide rewards dependent on the level of your Spirit of Hallowmas. The nature of this character will depend on the Menace you've most frequently converted."

This says nothing about the nature of the *reward* of coursewink My guess would be some sort of +20 watchful mayor-related 'weapon', based on the lance/debating lessons from the last 2 years, but who knows really. When there's expectations for things like this, FB do seem to like changing it up.

Anyway, if you don't have an alt character to try out the other masks on, the loss of spirit (max is 30 to try all 3, and that's assuming the one you have now is the one you want to max the menace type of) seems pretty low compared to how much you get - I already have 74 after just 3 menace wipes.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/AncientDrunkard
https://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/ModernDrunkard
+2 link
Siankan
Siankan

10/25/2019
string wrote:
Siankan wrote:
I do have one question: Thirteen confessions is cute and all, but why give an odd number, when every companion requires two to upgrade? Does this just doom Fate-less players to having one confession wasted?

The Condolent Monkey, Iconoclastic Cryptanalyst, and Morally and Physically Flexible Rubbery Cat each require three confessions, so if a player gets either one or all three then they can use all their confessions without fate.

Ah, I missed that somehow. Thank you for pointing it out.

--
+2 link
JaneAnkhVeos
JaneAnkhVeos

10/25/2019
Jolanda Swan wrote:
True. Still, if someone was to link their conversation with the Queen of Air and Darkness, I would love to read it...

Here. Both options which require the Moth mask.

(Considering the corresponding menace and some parts of that text, I wonder if she may be
[spoiler]the Red-Handed Queen?)[/spoiler]

--
+2 link
Lady Karnstein
Lady Karnstein

10/25/2019
Is there a listing of current suspicions of who each of the Attendants and heads of the parties are?

Hannah Flynn wrote:

Oh yes very much thank you! These shake-ups add some interesting elements.
edited by Lady Karnstein on 10/25/2019

--
Lady Caroline Karnstein, The Moral Hedonist (Description)
Infamous writer, artist, and courtesan. Unrepentant Invert.
Paramount Presence, Correspondent, Nocturnal. Poet Laureate of the Neath, Ambassador to Arbor
+2 link
the old man
the old man

10/24/2019
devil scandle crown suspicion moth nighmares

--
+2 link
Shadowcthuhlu
Shadowcthuhlu

10/24/2019
Time to spend all my favors on parties and regret nothing. Onward to Hallowmas spirit!

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Dirae%20Erinyes. Closed to calling cards, but open for all other social action. I also love to roleplay.
+2 link
Siankan
Siankan

10/24/2019
I wonder: is there a particular significance behind the Smiling Jester, or is the lovely new art just to make us all jealous for his mask?

--
+2 link
Shalinoth
Shalinoth

11/1/2019
I've run into the same problem from last year. When someone sends me an invite I can't figure out if the first Confession is the one they want, or the one they offer.

--
Profiles: Shally, Chimes & Jack~of~Smiles . . . Current Goal:
+2 link
MidnightVoyager
MidnightVoyager

10/31/2019
It is somewhat irksome doing even a little bit of math and seeing how getting confessions for new companions will cost nearly twice as much buying them outright next year will.

(nobody ever said I was good at math)
edited by MidnightVoyager on 10/31/2019

--
Midnight Voyager - A blood-cousin to predators. Collector of beasts. Affably mad.
+2 link
JaneAnkhVeos
JaneAnkhVeos

11/1/2019
Lady Karnstein wrote:
Question, if you get the modified Rubbery Cat or Crossword guy, do you get the option to buy another baseline one?

Yes.

--
+2 link
Ulysses Kingfisher
Ulysses Kingfisher

10/31/2019
My fellow citizens may wish to know that the masques now provide additional opportunities to exchange confessions. In particular:

Pavilion of Butterflies: pride for whimsy
St Dunstan's: whimsy for guile
St Elmo: guile for violence

So hopefully this will get some more of the recently-released, and relatively-rare, confessions into wider circulation!

--
C'est moi
+2 link
Lady Karnstein
Lady Karnstein

10/30/2019
yetanotherone wrote:
852 for me so far.

And this is slowly chipping away at years worth of stockpiled items, taking the expensive options for menace gains.

It's kind of slow to get menaces (outside of the masques) with stats maxed without unpleasant side effects. Although sipping cider every now and again to ensure nearly every other card gives some nightmares is a nice 'bonus'.

More concerning is this:
https://i.imgur.com/0s6s8Mi.png

I've been immediately discarding "Orthographic Infection" for so long I forgot what it would do on a failure, and just treated it as free nightmares for the spirit grind. I have only myself to blame.

Yeah Caroline is in the same boat. Gotta decide if she will recap immediately, or wait and hit the Nadir this Sackmass to spend ToL and get a 4th blood or not.

--
Lady Caroline Karnstein, The Moral Hedonist (Description)
Infamous writer, artist, and courtesan. Unrepentant Invert.
Paramount Presence, Correspondent, Nocturnal. Poet Laureate of the Neath, Ambassador to Arbor
+2 link
JaneAnkhVeos
JaneAnkhVeos

10/29/2019
Skinnyman wrote:
Doing some research and want to ask you the people of the forum: how high is your quality?

Siankan wrote:
In the mean time, I shall enjoy driving my characters to the brink of insanity (or slightly past), and then letting them feel better after speaking to an anonymous, sinister, masked figure.

Welcome to London.

That's the spirit!

--
+2 link
yetanotherone
yetanotherone

10/29/2019
852 for me so far.

And this is slowly chipping away at years worth of stockpiled items, taking the expensive options for menace gains.

It's kind of slow to get menaces (outside of the masques) with stats maxed without unpleasant side effects. Although sipping cider every now and again to ensure nearly every other card gives some nightmares is a nice 'bonus'.

More concerning is this:
https://i.imgur.com/0s6s8Mi.png

I've been immediately discarding "Orthographic Infection" for so long I forgot what it would do on a failure, and just treated it as free nightmares for the spirit grind. I have only myself to blame.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/AncientDrunkard
https://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/ModernDrunkard
+2 link
James Sinclair
James Sinclair

10/25/2019
I currently have a Triple Crown and I'd really like to explore the new storylet(s) in New Newgate, but I don't want to increase my Criminal Record, and I don't want to take a hit to Shadowy by failing to rob the Brass Embassy (I recently overcapped with 15 Notability). Is there any other way to get sent directly to prison? If I hit Suspicion 8 during Hallowmas, does anything special happen, or do I have to sit before old Ironclad Wickes again?

--
James Sinclair

Wines is red
Spices is yellow
But old Jack-of-Smiles
Is a murderous fellow
+2 link
Siankan
Siankan

10/25/2019
Hannah Flynn wrote:

Very much yes! You seem to have preserved what we loved about Hallowmas (upgraded companions! hooray!), eliminated what we least liked (Notability what again!?), and given us an odd but enjoyable grind that keeps us involved all Hallowmas. If the Spirit of Hallowmas cash-in isn't disappointing, then I'd say this year's Hallowmas is up to the level of the Feast of the Exceptional Rose.

The only point that worries me: we have no idea what this Menace grind is going for, or whether it would be worth it. We all love mystery around here, of course, but there's the built-in opportunity for disappointment (either "If I'd only done one more masque!" or "I did way too much of that!") when we don't have any idea where we're heading. Not sure I have a solution for that which satisfies all interests, but it's the only potential fly I see in the ointment. The mechanics themselves are a lot of fun.

--
+2 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

10/25/2019
So far the mechanics and the writing is superb! I feel like there is an actual celebration going on.
But I would love to have an estimate of how much spirit we are going to need at the end. For example should I try to go to the boatma with all three masks on? Or am I dooming my chances for a reward at the end? Even though I care more for the writing than the actual reward, I would hate to either come up short, or miss on exploring because I was scared I would come up short.
edited by Jolanda Swan on 10/25/2019

--
+2 link
silurica
silurica

10/27/2019
Siankan wrote:
Dudebro Pyro wrote:
Huh, there's an option in St. Elmo that costs a Knob of Scintillack. Seems to be unique among the Masques in being nearly Fate-locked.
For that matter, the wiki says it's available in the Temple Club; can be be obtained by receiving an Inivtation?

I have really been wondering what happens if you take that option. If anyone knows, I'd love a PM, or even just a link.

Here's what happen when you play that option. You'll get:
[spoiler]+7 CP Suspicion and a Muscaria Brandy.[/spoiler]
It's not worth doing more than once unless you happen to have a ton of Scintillack lying around for some reason.

--
+2 link
silurica
silurica

11/2/2019
abzot_tralfaz wrote:
I spent some fate to get rid of my destiny and managed to attract a visitor. Problem is I chose the wrong initial option from A Possible Future, so I don't have the choice I want on Gate of Midnight. Is it possible to attract another visitor to choose a different Possible Future option? I can't tell if this is impossible or if I just have not been lucky enough to get another visitor.

This is indeed possible. Good luck drawing the card again! It's an elusive one.

OctaviaCrowe wrote:
So, a silly question perhaps, but WHEN, exactly, does Hallowmass end?

When is the cutoff time for earning Spirit?

October 7th. This is in the first post:

Hannah Flynn wrote:
After the festival closes on the 7th, you’ll be able to turn in confessions and claim rewards until the 14th.

--
+2 link
dov
dov

11/4/2019
SamNorrey wrote:
I'm a bit upset, it seems that overnight the confession exchanges at the masques have changed. The Guile > Impropriety at Elmo's is now Pride > Impropriety, and at the Pavillion the Impropriety > Curiosity is gone, and the Pride > Whimsy has changed to Violence > Whimsy.

The Pavillion's option of exchanging Impropriety into Curiosity is still there.

This allows for the following two mini-cycles:

1. Impropriety --> Curiosity (Pavillion)
2. Curiosity --> Pride (Saint Dunstan)
3. Pride --> Impropriety (St Elmo)

1. Violence --> Whimsy (Pavillion)
2. Whimsy --> Guile (Saint Dunstan)
3. Guile --> Violence (St Elmo)

----
edited by dov on 11/4/2019

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+2 link
phryne
phryne

11/3/2019
c-schroed wrote:
I had some problems with the spoiler tag. Can I use this only once per post?
That's correct, only one spoiler tag per post! smile

--
Ambition summaries project (work in progress)
Exceptional Stories, sorted by Season and by writerFavours & Renown GuideDestiny Guide
Go play StoryNexus games - while you still can!
+2 link
Shalinoth
Shalinoth

11/2/2019
silurica wrote:
I think the Masters of Ceremonies are...

[spoiler]
For the Merry Captain, I'm not as sure about this, but I'll place my bet on Feducci. The hold of St Elmo contains a journal detailing Southerly expeditions and various items from the Elder Continent, and of note is the bottle of wine from Arbor, which Feducci once sought (though whether he managed to enter the city itself or not was left hanging).The Captain himself has a fondness for explorers and accounts of their expeditions.

Merry? Loves expeditions? Could also be His Amused Lordship? But I think his booming laugh would have given him away unless he's being especially incognito, for the season. [/spoiler]

--
+2 link
c-schroed
c-schroed

11/5/2019
Regarding the ball host speculations, I just had an idea, after remembering a line from the opening post:

Hannah Flynn wrote:

At the end of the festival, you'll be visited by a special character who will provide rewards dependent on the level of your Spirit of Hallowmas. The nature of this character will depend on the Menace you've most frequently converted.

My educated guess is that we will get our Spirit of Hallowmas rewards from the host connected to our most frequently converted menace. So, maybe then we will get some final clues. Who knows, maybe even some masks might fall. How wonderfully exciting!

And maybe the rewards might be connected to the menaces as well, meaning that a nightmares-related reward might give a boost to watchful, a scandal-related reward to persuasive etc.

--
Cattus Schroedingeris, the Consulting Explorer, scientist and author, at your service!

Kitty Schroedingeris, the Plot-weaving Minx, his Cousin, who is always plotting something.

"Always look to love. Always."
+2 link
Shaerys
Shaerys

11/6/2019
Siankan wrote:
Anyone have the echo from getting the Nimble-Fingered Intelligencer or the Rubbery Herald? I am trying to decide whether these two choices are in character, and the wiki text isn't enough to answer.

Nimble Fingered Intelligencer
Rubbery Herald

--
http://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/Shaerys
Courier's Footprint, pleased to offer introductory Correspondence instruction to Orphans, Urchins, Waifs, Scamps, and other Tatterdemalions.
+2 link
ShadowedJorge
ShadowedJorge

11/7/2019
When did the number of free confessions change to 14?

--
http://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/ShadowedJorge
Accepting most social actions especially chess and lethal sparring bouts
+2 link
Snort
Snort

11/7/2019
My sense of timing is impeccable - the feast ended just as my alt exited the Pavilion, leaving him with 7 nightmares and no one to share them with. smile
edited by Snort on 11/7/2019

--
+2 link
æsc
æsc

11/7/2019
Well, as usual I didn't really understand what all was going on, but it was rather good fun anyway! Alas, I was trying to grind for a Chap on the Corner (didn't have enough Favours) to upgrade, and lost out on all the companions but the rubbery cat. I meant to turn in whatever I had left on the last day, but misunderstood that as well. Oops.

Still, I attended several marvelous parties, found some new sailing companions...and whatever AM I going to do with that bizarre cat?

--
Dr Cecily Morgan
an inescapable, sagacious, irresistible and breathtaking lady.
Devoted Scholar of the Correspondance, Author, and Excellent Dancer.

No photographers please. Most pleasant socials, invitations and calling cards welcome. Happy to accept Guest of Honour invites to salons looking for Authors.
+2 link
Siankan
Siankan

11/7/2019
Optimatum wrote:
Maybe the Fool should offer some last-minute way to offload your menaces...

This I agree with. I was worried someone would get caught like this.

My dear Failbetter, may I suggest that when the Fool checks his list, it includes a wipe of the three relevant Menaces? That way it's not repeatable (and therefore abusable), but it won't leave anyone stuck at 7 Nightmares (or worse yet, 9 Nightmares, a goldfish, and a walking stick).

--
+2 link
JaneAnkhVeos
JaneAnkhVeos

11/7/2019
A kiss from the Fool was the best of all gifts

--
+2 link
0bsidian Fire
0bsidian Fire

11/7/2019
This Hallowmas was great! It was nice being able to plan out most things right from the get-go. By accident, I ended up in the faction that best fit my character too!B

--
Kharagal Mierqid - Bohemian Correspondent who is obsessed with the Language of Stars...
+2 link
Shalinoth
Shalinoth

11/7/2019
Any chance of re-opening Companion Upgrades for a day?

--
+2 link
elderfleur
elderfleur

11/7/2019
If one turns in the last of their Spirit and was too poor (or forgetful) to acquire a new rubbery friend, the Fool takes pity and awards a "disgusting attempt at a feline" for free.

I've seen one of the Cards, and [spoiler]the St Elmo Card appears to be a source of ~1.50 Echoes worth of Cheap Wine and Memories, or a place to cash in Morelways for a Criminal Favour. Pleasant enough, and unequippable if unwanted--I like the design! [/spoiler]

--
—Elderfleur
+2 link
Shalinoth
Shalinoth

11/8/2019
Any chance of being able to upgrade Companions, for those of us who misinterpreted the Season information?

I left all my Confession decisions until the 7th.. when upgrades were locked out for some reason.

Sad urchin is sad.

--
+2 link
Bevan
Bevan

11/8/2019
Alexander Feld wrote:
Under "Myself," there should be a button to the left that says "Expanded." That lists the extra inventory slots like Affiliations, Ships, etc. The new items are Affiliations.
edited by Alexander Feld on 11/8/2019

Thanks! Finally found it under the picture of my lodgings. Wasn't even aware that that existed...!
+2 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

11/9/2019
I understand why the instructions were confusing to those for whom this was their first Hallowmas, but I'm surprised players with prior Hallowmas experience were confused too. The timeline has been relatively constant over the last few years.
edited by Optimatum on 11/9/2019

--

+2 link
Jason5237
Jason5237

11/9/2019
*shrugs*

They changed things this year. And if this many have expressed a different interpretation than what was intended, than the guidance could benefit from massaging next year.

J-
edited by Jason5237 on 11/9/2019

--
H.G.R.: Adventuer, Explorer, Paramount Londoner https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/User766505
+2 link
phryne
phryne

11/9/2019
I agree with both Optimatum and Jason: While I didn't misunderstand anything, as a long-time player I honestly just skimmed the guidelines anyway and played the festival based on experience. It's true that they're always run in relatively the same way, even when content changes.

But if a significant number of people misunderstood things (and we have more than a handful in this thread alone, I think), then the phrasing just wasn't clear enough. I feel for everyone who "failed" this Hallowmas just because of that! upset
edited by phryne on 11/9/2019

--
Exceptional Stories, sorted by Season and by writerFavours & Renown GuideDestiny Guide
+2 link
Chronos
Chronos

11/17/2019
By the way, I forgot to mention how I liked the new home conforts + cards mechanics. I hope to see more examples of this in the future.

--
Please don't send me harmful social actions
main: https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Chronos78

alt: https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Chronos2
+2 link
dov
dov

11/18/2019
Shalinoth wrote:
Do we need to equip 'A Seat At The Bishop's Table' in order for the new card (Attend a dinner at St Fiacre's) to show up in the deck? Or does simply owning the un-equipped item work for these new post-Hallowmas cards?

You need to equip it.

The card doesn't unlock with having "A Seat At The Bishop's Table", but by having "Noticed by the Saturnine Duke", which is one of the effects when equipping it.

The same goes for the other two Affiliations.

--
+2 link
Shalinoth
Shalinoth

11/18/2019
Thanks, dov! Equipment based cards is an excellent way to allow players to customise their own decks. Now if only all those annoying cards could be de-equipped... :P

--
+1 link
Aardvark
Aardvark

11/18/2019
Catherine Raymond wrote:
... The Pavilion of Butterflies (associated with the Moth Mask) at which I spent all my time involved some activities that left the participants' hands red. The text coyly suggests that fingerpainting was involved, but I suspect the real substance in question was blood. Ah, if only the text had been more explicit!

Ah yes, blood, clearly. But was it blood of human beings? Or something else altogether? Mayhap bloody tears Heaven itself cries in the realms of Is-Not, mourning the doomed rulers whose realms can never extend beyond the mirrors to simply Be?

As my last recap for the season, I wish to once again express utmost satisfaction with all aspects of this year's Hallowmas, not least being the nifty new affiliations. When you've been flipping endgame cards for several years, every new card face is an exciting change from the routine!
edited by Aardvark on 11/18/2019

--

+1 link
Ragnar Degenhand
Ragnar Degenhand

11/19/2019
Aardvark wrote:
When you've been flipping endgame cards for several years, every new card face is an exciting change from the routine!

edited by Aardvark on 11/18/2019

Indeed. I recently started an alt to do "Bag a Legend", and I'd completely forgotten how rich and varied the early deck is.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Ragnar%20Degenhand
+1 link
Catherine Raymond
Catherine Raymond

11/11/2019
I enjoyed this Hallowmas. If I'd been able to buy ES status I would have had more Spirit and gotten more material rewards. But the Masques were enjoyable, the returns on Spirit were good, and I was able to afford all the Companions I really wanted.

--
Cathy Raymond

Catherine Raymond aka Mrs. Rykar Malkus http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Catherine%20Raymond (Gone NORTH)
+1 link
Chronos
Chronos

11/12/2019
Well,I liked this Hallowmas.
First thing, finally we have the masks (even if they are qualities and not items)for the feast of masks.
I liked the companions' upgrades this year. The different art for upgrades is a welcome back feature.
I fairly enjoyed the spirit grind; too bad I hadn't much time to raise my spirit enough to get the three Elements of Dawn.

I hope in the future notable londoners will come back too, maybe they could give you some of the 13 free confessions.

I missed a little the "Mayor wants confessions" part, but I also think this year I should have gone for the companions and not for the weapon.

Finally, If I'm not wrong, no Huffman this year. I'll miss him and I hope he'll come back in the future with the Hallowmas Edition.
edited by Chronos on 11/13/2019

--

+1 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

11/13/2019
Plus new players will not be able to upgrade the One's Public card.

--
+1 link
phryne
phryne

11/13/2019
Jolanda Swan wrote:
Plus new players will not be able to upgrade the One's Public card.
I thought some sort of upgrade for this year's Hallowmas was still coming up. It has always taken them a week or two to implement it...

--
+1 link
phryne
phryne

11/13/2019
æsc wrote:
I can never remember things from one year to the next - do Confessions expire if unused, or can they be saved for next time?
They expire.

--
+1 link
Josiah Thimblerig
Josiah Thimblerig

11/8/2019
I ended Hallowmas by gaining the Red-Handed affiliation and equipped it, then went on an Expedition in the Forgotten Quarter. As usual I used a buccaneering approach throughout. With every action, my Rivals' Progress increased. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Josiah%20Thimblerig
+1 link
sivartis
sivartis

11/9/2019
Shalinoth wrote:
Any chance of being able to upgrade Companions, for those of us who misinterpreted the Season information?

I left all my Confession decisions until the 7th.. when upgrades were locked out for some reason.

Sad urchin is sad.

Seconded. I really thought we had until the 14th to upgrade companions.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sivartis

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Travis%20Campbell
+1 link
Tozh Taurog
Tozh Taurog

11/9/2019
I, too, think this was most enjoyable Hallowmas. Even though I was too busy with RL to play enough for knighthood, or even getting my last companion update - it was still the best. New fun companions, upgrades to fairly rare interesting things, and something fun to do, with choices and collecting menaces. I wonder if Huffam will still show up? But even if he doesn't, it was still the best Hallowmas to date for me.

--
A Correspondent. Thrilled to advance science by educating the younger generation at your Orphanage. A Marvellous player. Willing to talk about it to the press. An amateur horticulturist.
Usually up for socializing, especially with text.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/TozhTaurog
+1 link
Plynkes
Plynkes

11/9/2019
Like others I failed to upgrade any companions this time, due to misreading the directions. I think they need to make that a bit clearer next time. I'm not all that miffed though, as I don't think anything would have been an upgrade for my character, she's been around quite a while.

--
"Then tell Wind and Fire where to stop, but don't tell me."
+1 link
Kaminski
Kaminski

11/8/2019
The changes introduced to Hallowmas were unexpected but most certainly not unwelcome, I've had a great time this year and it's without doubt the best Hallowmas I've experienced so far. Proper job, Failbetter!

I'm a tiny tiny bit miffed about the fact that I fell just a few points of Spirit short to claim the best rewards from the Fool, but the fault is of course wholly my own and my busy real life schedule these past weeks. Becoming a member of the order with the Very Elaborate Name is a nice if slightly disturbing touch, seeing as the icon used is not dissimilar to a symbol used by a certain other order.

--
Kaminski; Correspondent, magnanimous hedonist. Available for most types of social actions
+1 link
Her Ladyship The Ydell Sovereign
Her Ladyship The Ydell Sovereign

11/8/2019
All that said though, I did love the entire atmosphere of the event & the aestetic. I miss my moth mask so much. I need more moth things. I need more red handed things. Let us be terrible in game. wink

--
-House of Ydell-
It's only when you cannot hear the bats, that is when the bats are coming. This is the only advice I have to give.
+1 link
Siankan
Siankan

11/8/2019
Kaminski wrote:
The changes introduced to Hallowmas were unexpected but most certainly not unwelcome

You've just told your age. Mine, too.

--
+1 link
Alexander Feld
Alexander Feld

11/8/2019
Under "Myself," there should be a button to the left that says "Expanded." That lists the extra inventory slots like Affiliations, Ships, etc. The new items are Affiliations.
edited by Alexander Feld on 11/8/2019

--
I am a star-gazer, story-eater, and a smelter of words.

I filch hidden things from hidden places, to hide once more in my dark cabinet of curiosities

Alexander Feld, the mad, damned, lord of seekers.
+1 link
Aardvark
Aardvark

11/8/2019
I completely agree that this was likely the best and most enjoyable Hallowmas of them all - and I'm saying that as one of the two people on the forums who actually immensely enjoyed the Great Notability Grind of 1894 :P . (In fact I wish some actual use for Notability popped up from time to time, for the sake of us long-term endgame players.)

Irym Ydell wrote:
All that said though, I did love the entire atmosphere of the event & the aestetic. I miss my moth mask so much. I need more moth things. I need more red handed things. Let us be terrible in game. wink

Actually, for me, the Moth mask is still found in the Seasonal qualities. I don't know if that will hold after the Hallowmas is completely over, but so far we've kept it.

Lastly, I certainly hope the topics and themes of expeditions, Elder Continent and Parabola which have been the focus of this and last year's Hallowmas will be carried over and delved into more deeply. For me, these are the most intriguing aspects of the Neath, and less plumbed than many other areas.

Here's to more fine encounters - Red-Handed or otherwise - in the realms of Is-Not!

--

+1 link
the old man
the old man

11/7/2019
I did not grind enough for some of the more outre rewards but I did get a lot closer to my premisis on the bazzar 17 permits but I would have enjoyed gaining some of those fate locked items but alas I knew the risk with only 800
edited by the old man on 11/7/2019

--
+1 link
earthbourn
earthbourn

11/7/2019
For some reason, I took the statement that we could turn in our confessions for an additional week to mean that we could still upgrade companions in that time. Finished all my confession trades last night and failed to use any of them.

--
Tenterhook - A sun-seared creature learning to be human.
The Mechanist, L. - Found what she was looking for. Gone now.
+1 link
Siankan
Siankan

11/7/2019
Tsar Koschei wrote:
Servants of the Red-Handed Queen, rather. A fearsome figure mainly active in Parabola, quite apart from Mr Eaten I think.

You're right, of course, insofar as she was masquing as the Queen, and the text mentions [spoiler]red chess and a crimson promise in dream[/spoiler]. There were other points in the text, however, that made me think of the other option. That said, upon rereading, it seems less likely than it first struck me, so it is probably simply the Queen after all.

--
+1 link
Waterpls
Waterpls

11/7/2019
It looks right.

I dont know if anybody interested, but main sources of Spirit for me were Boneless Consort and Counterfeit Heads.

Consort have card with option to promenade in public. It sets Scandal to 8. So use the card, immediately clear some of my scandal with the help of an alt, cash in scandal for spirit.

Same scheme with Counterfeit Heads, but you need to have them in stock, Hedonist 12, and have to cash in Bohemian favours (with pretty good EpA).

I wonder how Skinnyman got his high values
edited by Waterpls on 11/7/2019

--
+1 link
Tsar Koschei
Tsar Koschei

11/7/2019
Well, Suspicion was absolutely the right choice. Glad I pushed Spirit above 2000 as well. Still missing that Shadowy +20 item, though.

--

No chess, loitering, friendly sparring, coffee at Caligula's or Affluent Photographer, please.
+1 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

11/7/2019
Snort wrote:
And the world wonders ... what does 7 or 8 thousand spirit purchase these days? smile
Nothing! Big Grin

--
+1 link
James Sinclair
James Sinclair

11/7/2019
Skinnyman wrote:
Good lord, that's true dedication. NiteBrite would be proud!

--
James Sinclair

Wines is red
Spices is yellow
But old Jack-of-Smiles
Is a murderous fellow
+1 link
earthbourn
earthbourn

11/7/2019
Shalinoth wrote:
"After the festival closes on the 7th, you’ll be able to turn in confessions and claim rewards until the 14th." ~ I took these rewards to mean Companions. D_mn and Blast.

Same for me! I'm glad to have the new feline and cryptanalyst, but I'm kicking myself for missing the chance to upgrade them.

--
Tenterhook - A sun-seared creature learning to be human.
The Mechanist, L. - Found what she was looking for. Gone now.
+1 link
c-schroed
c-schroed

11/7/2019
Oh, I forgot to mention: I especially liked that this event motivated me to gather menaces instead of avoiding them. That was a very nice change of perspective. I mean, usually, I'm not very happy to lose the nightmare-related "Orthographic Infection" luck challenge (and almost always play the Counting the Days option), but for the last two weeks, I never missed a chance to try my bad luck! Big Grin

--
Cattus Schroedingeris, the Consulting Explorer, scientist and author, at your service!

Kitty Schroedingeris, the Plot-weaving Minx, his Cousin, who is always plotting something.

+1 link
Tsar Koschei
Tsar Koschei

11/7/2019
Siankan wrote:
That is a hope that FBG would have followed up Feducci's lance and the Contrarian's lessons with an equally impressive piece of Shadowy equipment. For the record, they did not.

Don't forget the goat. So yeah, Shadowy is the one outlier.

--

+1 link
fafer.forums
fafer.forums

11/7/2019
A bit of feedback from me, it was very interesting content. Writing and images were so refreshing.
All unused confessions were swapped in the end and looking and spirit rewards (and especially comments here), i'm very glad that players are pleased.
Well done!

Any idea what new affiliations can be used for? Or that content is yet to be released?

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Fafer
+1 link
Shalinoth
Shalinoth

11/7/2019
I've made a terrible error. I thought today was the start of turning in Confessions for Companions. The date stuck in my mind as the date to start making decisions.

--
+1 link
Shalinoth
Shalinoth

11/7/2019
"After the festival closes on the 7th, you’ll be able to turn in confessions and claim rewards until the 14th." ~ I took these rewards to mean Companions. D_mn and Blast.

--
+1 link
c-schroed
c-schroed

11/7/2019
My, that was a fun event! In the end, it paid out for me to my complete satisfaction, in form of some beautiful shards and a very welcome boost to my silent soul collection - Well, technically it has just now started to be a collection, as I had almost never more than one of them before! Now they can be silent without being alone. How dear.

My last Hallowmas was shortly after I started playing, so I did not take much from it (except a still beloved upgraded mandrake), so this is the first Hallowmas I could really enjoy. And I loved the atmospheric writing as much as the clear and motivating mechanics. Thanks for the great time, Failbetter!

--

+1 link
theonie
theonie

11/7/2019
Optimatum wrote:

This is going to be a tough choice...

How did you end up with a choice of all three? The only option available to me was the Queen but I thought I had spent about the same time / number of visits to each party, and obviously converted all three Menaces to Spirit.

--
theonie, an inescapable, midnight, terrifying, and irresistible lady. All social actions except Affluent Photographer welcome. As a Midnighter, will gladly accept all invitations to Orphanages.
+1 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

11/7/2019
theonie wrote:

I was very careful to turn in each menace the same number of times (total quantity converted didn't matter) and used some tech wizardry to stay on track. It was really easy to get off-course; I think some of FBG's tweaks at the beginning of the holiday made things unpredictable.

--

+1 link
Desirée
Desirée

11/7/2019
Waterpls wrote:

Yes you can. Every option subtracts its lowest value.

Thank you!
edited by Desirée on 11/7/2019
+1 link
Snort
Snort

11/7/2019
And the world wonders ... what does 7 or 8 thousand spirit purchase these days? smile

--
+1 link
Aardvark
Aardvark

11/7/2019
A wonderful ending of a wonderful season's event, kudos to the team for treating us so splendidly this year!
Can't wait to see what the cards associated with the new affiliations will provide smile

If anyone is interested in the text associated with the end of Nightmare and Scandal Masques, you can find the echoes here:

[spoiler]
The Saturnine Duke: https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Rotsternchen/17102536
The Queen of Air and Darkness: https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Sir%20Reginald%20Monteroy/17102659
[/spoiler]

Can someone post the echo of the Suspicious option? I'd be very much interested in what I have missed...

--

+1 link
Siankan
Siankan

11/7/2019
So, did the Pavilion of Butterflies just get me involved with

[spoiler]a bunch of Seekers?[/spoiler]

--
+1 link
Misfortune
Misfortune

11/7/2019
...you might be on to something.
+1 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

11/7/2019
Huh. I noticed that in all my dealings with FL through the years, i have being helpful and friendly with [spoiler] the Bishop of St Fiacre[/spoiler} again and again. Which makes the current situation very, very organic.

--
+1 link
Catherine Raymond
Catherine Raymond

11/6/2019
Skinnyman wrote:

I am impressed. Fortunately, I did not expect to have the highest level of Spirit in all of London.

--
Cathy Raymond

+1 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

11/5/2019
Congrats, Skinnyman! I just hope there'll be a reward left for the rest of us wink

abzot_tralfaz wrote:
About the Hallowmas Visitor again, the wiki says it is a standard frequency card. Is that just during Hallowmas or just incorrect? In either case, I still haven't drawn one in several days. Had to spend fate to force it, but then realized I need another to get Torment. I thought this would be easier.

It's a standard frequency card throughout Hallowmas, so will be available until Thursday. Good luck drawing another!

--

+1 link
c-schroed
c-schroed

11/3/2019
silurica, I find your conclusions regarding the Saturnine Duke and the Merry Captain very compelling, thanks for sharing! Regarding the Queen of Air and Darkness, however, I always had the feeling that [spoiler] it might be the Captivating Princess (lxc mentioned something like this, as well). Is there a connection between the Red-Handed Queen and the Princess? I thought I read something like that somewhere.[/spoiler]

P.S. As I am new here, I also briefly want to use the opportunity to express a huge "Thank You" to Failbetter for this d e l i g h t f u l Hallowmas Event!

Edit: I had some problems with the spoiler tag. Can I use this only once per post?
edited by c-schroed on 11/3/2019

--

+1 link
fafer.forums
fafer.forums

11/1/2019
So,it seems i don't have a need for any new companions. Are there any other uses for confessions? What happens to leftover confessions after hallowmass is finished?

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Fafer
+1 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

11/1/2019
Got it, thank you!
As for Spirit of Hallowmas... well, 2000 is probably far enough, but why would that stop you from going to parties?
They are parties!

--
+1 link
Chronos
Chronos

11/1/2019
I like this year's companion upgrades.
edited by Chronos on 11/1/2019

--

+1 link
c-schroed
c-schroed

11/3/2019
Thanks for the clarification, phryne. Then I shall henceforth use this feature with adequate austerity! wink

--

+1 link
JamesSilver
JamesSilver

11/2/2019
silurica wrote:
There is no sight of a +20 weapon, and there was no promise for it to begin with. What happened in past festivals may not happen again in future festivals, and so on.

smells like mayoral impeachment

--
an exceptional weasel
+1 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

11/2/2019
So, any more speculation on who the ball hosts are?

--
+1 link
SamNorrey
SamNorrey

11/4/2019
I'm a bit upset, it seems that overnight the confession exchanges at the masques have changed. The Guile > Impropriety at Elmo's is now Pride > Impropriety, and at the Pavillion the Impropriety > Curiosity is gone, and the Pride > Whimsy has changed to Violence > Whimsy.
I'm really not cool about these unannounced changes overnight, as I finished on my alt last night with halfway through the conversion needed, and now I'm stuck with the rug pulled out from under me.
Yes, I'm aware I can trade with players smile Still I don't think this is a fair move, especially as now we have a short circle of types that can be converted to each other, and a separate short one-directional chain.
Anyway, just a heads-up to others.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Sam~Norrey
+1 link
silurica
silurica

10/27/2019
navchaa wrote:
How does one cash in more than 7 scandal for spirit? I am at 7 now and have no more options to raise scandal at the ball. Is there any scandal reduction gear that I might have missed?

You don't. There is no scandal reduction gear as far as I know, only nightmares and suspicion.

--
+1 link
dov
dov

10/28/2019
Skinnyman wrote:
silurica wrote:
I have personally confirmed a new card each in the following menace areas: a state of some confusion, the Mirror-Marches, exile, and New Newgate Prison. The cards are standard frequency with silver border, all requiring the relevant menace to be below 6 (the exact wording is "you needed 5 at most"). The type of mask you wear doesn't matter. They only let you leave the menace area early, which I suppose come in handiest for dodging dream penalties in the nightmares areas and the quirks and action sinks in exile.
Glad to hear my Dreams won't be lowered in case I lack attention. It's very comforting to know this, thanks!

The menace area cards are these:

These are all non-discardable silver-bordered cards. They become available when the *modified* menace is less than 6, and they take you back to London without touching your menace level.

--
+1 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

10/28/2019
Jolanda Swan wrote:
I tried to copy the link my scintillac entry for anyone who wants to take a look, but it won't let me; however, it's the last echo in my journal for anyone who wants to take a look. The title is A Final Voyage.
That button takes you to the link containing the journal entry, but it's also your last one so you don't see the difference, but the URL changes and it looks like this:
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan/17044285
Navigating to the journal is sometimes confusing because replaces your history instead of pushing to it; thus, there's no use of the back button most of the times.

--
+1 link
Vorwoda Hawksby
Vorwoda Hawksby

10/29/2019
I'm really enjoying this, and have upgraded my Cryptanalyst, and got the base (adorably) rubbery feline. At last, a cat that doesn't set off allergies!

My only complaint is the rarity of the Masque Entry Cards. Wearing the Demon Mask in Spite and drawing card after card after card and still haven't seen one. I've been paying to get in, so the Mask's only real advantage has been getting the better options inside (depending on Airs). I really wish the card frequency was higher. upset

However, other than that, I'm very happy to raise a bottle of Broken Giant to FBG for making my first Hallowmas in the 'Neath a very happy one!

--
Ambition: Nemesis
My darling lady-love,
Lies cruelly slain above;
To track her unknown killer I've descended,
To London, in the Neath.
And though I pass Hell's teeth,
I'll see her slayer's foul existence ended!
+1 link
silurica
silurica

10/29/2019
I don't know about "less happy" but "morally flexible" sure suggests the kitty will become a greyer character. In any case, we can't tell for sure now because the upgrade requires a Confession of Violence and a Confession of Whimsy, both unavailable until the second week.

--
+1 link
the old man
the old man

10/29/2019
also in any case you have to upgrade it because if you do you can get the rubbery cat and the flexible one and we need as many of those as we can

--
+1 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

10/29/2019
the old man wrote:
my spirt is currently 622 I feel I may have gone overboard but at this point I just want to see if there's an upper limit
Oh, trust me, you didn't go overboard at all!

--
+1 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

10/29/2019
Tuxi wrote:
Jolanda Swan wrote:
I would appreciate reading the text from anyone who got the Hallowmass card at the Exile; I was really unlucky with this one.

Luckily that's the single one I've done yet.

Ah, thank you! I love all of these.

--
+1 link
Siankan
Siankan

10/29/2019
Skinnyman wrote:
Or just go max!

Why not? I'm personally enjoying wandering about the Butterfly Pavilion whenever I'm invited or have actions to spare. I have hopes that there will be a sufficient reward at the end, but I'm happy as long as it's interesting.

For those doing calculations, much depends on whether the rewards are tiered or scaling. Will we be rewarded for certain thresholds, or will the payout scale ad infinitum with our score? Will there be a hybrid element, with some things triggered at certain levels of Spirit but a base award tied to total amount? No way to know yet, unless FBG give us more information.

In the mean time, I shall enjoy driving my characters to the brink of insanity (or slightly past), and then letting them feel better after speaking to an anonymous, sinister, masked figure.

Welcome to London.

--
+1 link
Nathalia
Nathalia

10/29/2019
484. Aiming for 666, because that is amusing, and life should always be amusing, darlings.
+1 link
Siankan
Siankan

10/25/2019
the old man wrote:
how much spirt does everyone have at the time of writing I have 230 first time can someone say what is best to get a good reward

No one knows. Failbetter hasn't said anything more than what you can find in the announcement at the head of this topic. The mechanic is entirely new, so we know nothing.

--
+1 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

10/26/2019
Technically, we've seen Spirit of Hallowmas before a long time ago, and at the time the highest level reward required 500. That said, it worked very differently at the time.

--

+1 link
silurica
silurica

10/26/2019
The usual criminal record mechanics apply if you're caught with Suspicion 8.

--
+1 link
silurica
silurica

10/26/2019
the old man wrote:
do we know if there's anything in the tomb colonies

Yes, I said in my post above I've confirmed a card in exile. Exile = Tomb-Colonies.

--
+1 link
Siankan
Siankan

10/26/2019
Yes! I'd meant to mention that, too. It's a small thing, but it makes a big difference.

--
+1 link
Winthropx
Winthropx

10/30/2019
Mines at 870, but it’ll probably go higher. I’m loving the festive attitude of the balls, so I keep going to them. I’m imagining that they’re a blast to be at!!

--
Bishop Winthrop, a kind-hearted soul
A Paramount Presence
I accept all social actions
His Appearance
http://community.failbettergames.com/topic9363-your-characters-appearances.aspx?messageid=229809&Page=10#post#post229809
+1 link
sivartis
sivartis

10/29/2019
Skinnyman wrote:
Deathjack999 wrote:
*Accidentally gets rid of his 149 Spirit of Hallowmas by misclicking on Changing Masks*

Bugger
You actually lose only 10 unless there's a bug in there.
Thank you to those that told how high their Spirit is!

I finally got my Spirit up to 1013, probably going to stop there.
I think the main problem is that we don't know if the reward is going to be entirely proportional (e.g., for every 100 points of SoH you get 50 of Item A, 10 of Item B, and 2 of Item C), or if there's a tiered element (you can only get item X if you have 500 points, item Y if you have 1000 points, etc.).

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sivartis

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Travis%20Campbell
+1 link
Siankan
Siankan

10/30/2019
Dudebro Pyro wrote:
It seems to be a given for each and every seasonal event that the event's cards are going to be an elusive rarity. I'm starting to wonder whether after years of the same complaint surfacing over and over, if perhaps this is an intentional choice to make the card-based interactions a small bonus for flavour, if you're lucky, rather than intending for them to be a core part of the gameplay, although if so it could probably be communicated clearer.

I think rather that it means there's a RNG involved, and in the nature of randomness someone is going to get stiffed. It also means that people who feel they have something to complain about tend to say more and say it more loudly than people who don't. For my part, I have only rarely felt the RNG's ire during events, and I certainly haven't felt it this Hallowmas. After the first few days I stopped burning favours to get into the masques, and yet I still go there several times a day.

One of the strengths of this year's design, however, is that you aren't cut out, even if you do become hated by the RNG. There's still a way in. In fact, there seems to be a concerted effort to give even the most unlucky participants something to do. The Mask cards have an option to gain resources which the appropriate Masque uses, and the base option at each Masque gives a different resource that is also used there. So, even if you've run entirely out of wine for the Pavilion of Butterflies (or are a brand-new Surfacer who never had any), you can just promenade, using the toasting option every few times as a sort of bonus option. The cycle feeds itself.
edited by Siankan on 10/30/2019

--
+1 link
Reused NPC
Reused NPC

10/30/2019
I'm late I'm late I'm LATE!
Much as I'd love to don my cloak and mask again this year, things have been busier than ever, so I've only just now gotten back to Hallowmas. I'll have to get right to work on raising my Spirits.
In the meantime: I don't suppose anybody has poked their head through the ether to see whether the Hallowmas companions are particularly strong anywhere? Not that I'd EVER pass up my Rubbery Feline in favor of some new BIS.

--
ReusedNPC, a d__ned lunatic.

Edmund Viric, a rather dreamy sort.

"I won't stay long, I shan't stay long! Tell me a secret."
--the Baldomerian
+1 link
silurica
silurica

10/31/2019
The masks are not equipable, rather they're qualities you can find in Myself tab under the Seasonal category.

--
+1 link
the old man
the old man

10/31/2019
Ulysses Kingfisher wrote:
My fellow citizens may wish to know that the masques now provide additional opportunities to exchange confessions. In particular:

my good man you are a life saver

--
+1 link
Μαρσ
Μαρσ

10/31/2019
Tsar Koschei wrote:
950 Spirit ... [I] hope I won't regret prioritizing suspicion grind despite it being the most annoying one. ... Particularly hope there'll be some kind of decent payout directly proportional to the amount of Spirit. Also fingers crossed for a Shadowy +20 item.

Same here: I got a little over 1000 Spirit in the first week, mostly via Suspicion. I had no Scintillack to begin with and I used up my Presbyterate Passphrases and consequentially my Elder mysteries, Visions, and Plaques. Let's hope it's all worth it.

Ulysses Kingfisher wrote:

So hopefully this will get some more of the recently-released, and relatively-rare, confessions into wider circulation!

--
Μαρσ,
A Londoner, Zubmariner, Chef, a Doctor, and an Invisible Eminence. All social actions are welcomed.
+1 link
phryne
phryne

10/31/2019
Does someone have the stats for the new companions that became available today? smile

--
+1 link
Shalinoth
Shalinoth

11/1/2019
Mystery solved: The first one they want, the second one they offer.

_____ invited you to trade a Confession of Whimsy for a Confession of Guile

You've lost 1 x A Confession of Whimsy (new total 0). You now have 1 x A Confession of Guile.

edited by Shalinoth on 11/1/2019

--
+1 link
Μαρσ
Μαρσ

10/24/2019
13 Free confessions, while you need 25 to get all companion upgrades. That's going to mean a few hard choices next week. The Cryptanalyst & Cathulu companions are nice though.

--
Μαρσ,
A Londoner, Zubmariner, Chef, a Doctor, and an Invisible Eminence. All social actions are welcomed.
+1 link
Kharsirr Lynx
Kharsirr Lynx

10/24/2019
So, we can get 7 confessions for now, and 6 more after that?
edited by Kharsirr Lynx on 10/24/2019

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Kharsirr%20Lynx
+1 link
Siankan
Siankan

10/24/2019
Toran wrote:
How does one acquire a Rubbery Feline in the first place? Is it fate-locked?

I have a short memory, but I believe the option to acquire the Feline (and the other new companion) appears in the Hallowmas storylet.

--
+1 link
Toran
Toran

10/24/2019
Oh, excellent, thank you! I've also noticed there seems to be no limit on my ability to gain confessions today, which I'm not sure is intentional...

--
I have a Hepta-Goat. Do you have a Hepta-Goat?
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Anthony%20Toran
+1 link
Morucant
Morucant

10/24/2019
Siankan wrote:

I just got an opportunity card about the Winsome Dispossessed Orphan stealing Laudnum.

So honestly, it's in character.

--
Morucant, who was once called Scholar of the Name.
Good for Chess, Sparring, Caligula's, and perhaps Midnighter lectures at Orphanages.
Uilx-Magnus, who truly loved...to Hate.
October is as unpredictable as wildfire and twice as dangerous. Don't ask his real name.
He has seen Hallowmas, now he will stay silent no more.
+1 link
phryne
phryne

10/24/2019
So is there absolutely no way of getting more than 13 confessions without paying Fate, or am I missing something? And what if I don't collect my 7 free Confessions in week one? Will I still get 13 in week two?

--
+1 link
Siankan
Siankan

10/24/2019
phryne wrote:
So is there absolutely no way of getting more than 13 confessions without paying Fate, or am I missing something? And what if I don't collect my 7 free Confessions in week one? Will I still get 13 in week two?

Apparently yes, to the first question.

To the second, there's a quality (can't find the name, sorry) that ticks up each time you get a confession. I assume then that next week will simply raise the cap in the confession storylet, so that you'd be able to get them all either way.

(N.B. This is an educated guess, with all the usual caveats appertaining thereunto.)

--
+1 link
Μαρσ
Μαρσ

10/24/2019
Just found out that menace levels from gear DO count when meeting the Fool. That makes using Scandal considerably easier.

--
Μαρσ,
+1 link
Catherine Raymond
Catherine Raymond

10/24/2019
I am more perturbed by the fact that you need to trade with Acquaintances. My Acquaintances have maxed out a long while ago.

For any of them listening, I have (among other things) 3 Confessions of Curiosity. I seek to trade two of them One for a Confession of Guile, one for a Confession of Whimsy.

--
Cathy Raymond

+1 link
Siankan
Siankan

10/24/2019

--
+1 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

10/25/2019
Using revolutionary favours for music-related masterpieces (I do ballets) increases suspicion.

--
+1 link
Μαρσ
Μαρσ

10/25/2019
James Sinclair wrote:
Does the card 'Visitors at Hallowmas' only show up if you have 5+ Nightmares?

It does also show up if you have less Nightmares. You'll be locked out of most options till you raise it to 5 though.

--
Μαρσ,
+1 link
mp
mp

10/25/2019
The amount of Spirit you get now appears to be tied to the unmodified Menace level:

Menace - Spirit
3 - ?
4 - 10
5 - ?
6 - 22
7 - ?
8 - 34
9 - 40

Presumably, 7 still gives 28, and the reward seems to be growing by 6 per Menace level.
edited by mp on 10/25/2019

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/mp
+1 link
xKiv
xKiv

10/25/2019
mp wrote:

Presumably, 7 still gives 28, and the reward seems to be growing by 6 per Menace level.

So it's still better to use menace-increasing gear, because the CP cost to increase menaces is higher at higher levels?
It will also, of course, depend on how much menace CP you get per action (because the trade-in also costs an action).
Let's say 6 menace cp/action (actions to cycle through are rounded up, because you lose any extra menace without getting any extra spirit, at least I expect so) ...
3 .. needs 6 cp ... 6/6+1=2 actions ... presumably 4/2=2 spirit/action
4 .. needs 10 cp ... 10/6+1=3 actions ... 10/3=3.33 spirit/action
5 .. needs 15 cp .. 15/6+1=4 actions ... presumably 16/4=4 spirit/action
6 .. needs 21 cp .. 21/6+1=5 actions ... 22/5=4.4 spirit/action
7 .. needs 28 cp .. 28/6+1=6 actions ... presumably 28/6=4.66 spirit/action
8 .. needs 36 cp .. 36/6+1=7 actions ... 34/7=4.85 spirit/action
9 .. needs 45 cp .. 45/6+1=9 actions ... 40/9=4.44 spirit/action

looks like at high menace addition gear the extra action per cycle wins
and at high menace reduction gear the higher CP cost per menace level wins
and you want to target gearing with -1 menace, but it's only barely better than no modifier at all

--
https://www.fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/xKiv - a witchful, percussive, dangermous and shadowry scholar of coexplodence, hopsidirean, and walker of fallen kitties.
+1 link
mp
mp

10/25/2019
Μαρσ wrote:
mp wrote:
The amount of Spirit you get now appears to be tied to the unmodified Menace level: snip

Looks like Menace CP to Spirit level is 1:1 (makes sense). So it is most efficient to use less actions converting.
Thus grinding with Menace reduction gear.

Edit: Spelling mistake.
edited by Μαρσ on 10/25/2019

It's not quite 1:1, except for when you're exactly at Menace 4 or 7. Menace CP between full levels also don't seem to be affecting the outcome.
edited by mp on 10/25/2019

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/mp
+1 link
James Sinclair
James Sinclair

10/25/2019
Catherine Raymond wrote:

For any of them listening, I have (among other things) 3 Confessions of Curiosity. I seek to trade two of them One for a Confession of Guile, one for a Confession of Whimsy.
There is a storylet at the Sacristy of St. Dunstan where you can exchange a Confession of Curiosity for one of Pride when the Airs of Hallowmas are 34-66. That's the only storylet I've found so far for trading confessions without the aid of another player; there may be others.

--
James Sinclair

Wines is red
Spices is yellow
But old Jack-of-Smiles
Is a murderous fellow
+1 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

10/25/2019
There are indeed - at least one at every revel.

--
Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
+1 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

10/24/2019
True. Still, if someone was to link their conversation with the Queen of Air and Darkness, I would love to read it...

--
+1 link
Desirée
Desirée

10/24/2019
Jolanda Swan wrote:

One can do that? Huh. I never saw an option for this. Are there certain requirements for this or was I just unlucky?
+1 link