Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

Hallowmas 1897 Messages in this topic - RSS

Siankan
Siankan

4 days ago
Optimatum wrote:
Maybe the Fool should offer some last-minute way to offload your menaces...

This I agree with. I was worried someone would get caught like this.

My dear Failbetter, may I suggest that when the Fool checks his list, it includes a wipe of the three relevant Menaces? That way it's not repeatable (and therefore abusable), but it won't leave anyone stuck at 7 Nightmares (or worse yet, 9 Nightmares, a goldfish, and a walking stick).

--
Prof. Sian Kan, at your service.
+2 link
theonie
theonie

4 days ago
Optimatum wrote:
theonie wrote:
How did you end up with a choice of all three? The only option available to me was the Queen but I thought I had spent about the same time / number of visits to each party, and obviously converted all three Menaces to Spirit.

I was very careful to turn in each menace the same number of times (total quantity converted didn't matter) and used some tech wizardry to stay on track. It was really easy to get off-course; I think some of FBG's tweaks at the beginning of the holiday made things unpredictable.

Thanks for the reply -- keeping track of the vists/ menace conversion is a good idea! I should have made a spreadsheet smile will do next year if FB keep this format. Which, actually! does everyone not agree this has been the best Hallowmas? I think FB have finally found their winning plan for this holiday and should keep it -- perhaps with minor tweaks -- at least for another couple of years! smile

--
theonie, an inescapable, midnight, terrifying, and irresistible lady. All social actions except Affluent Photographer welcome. As a Midnighter, will gladly accept all invitations to Orphanages.
+3 link
Kaminski
Kaminski

4 days ago
The changes introduced to Hallowmas were unexpected but most certainly not unwelcome, I've had a great time this year and it's without doubt the best Hallowmas I've experienced so far. Proper job, Failbetter!

I'm a tiny tiny bit miffed about the fact that I fell just a few points of Spirit short to claim the best rewards from the Fool, but the fault is of course wholly my own and my busy real life schedule these past weeks. Becoming a member of the order with the Very Elaborate Name is a nice if slightly disturbing touch, seeing as the icon used is not dissimilar to a symbol used by a certain other order.

--
Kaminski; Correspondent, magnanimous hedonist. Available for most types of social actions
+1 link
Irym Ydell
Irym Ydell

4 days ago
Siankan wrote:
Optimatum wrote:
Maybe the Fool should offer some last-minute way to offload your menaces...

This I agree with. I was worried someone would get caught like this.

My dear Failbetter, may I suggest that when the Fool checks his list, it includes a wipe of the three relevant Menaces? That way it's not repeatable (and therefore abusable), but it won't leave anyone stuck at 7 Nightmares (or worse yet, 9 Nightmares, a goldfish, and a walking stick).

I agree. I was only saved (& just BARELY by my affiliation with the order of...... all that Red Handed) as it caused my left over nightmares to drop just enough. I fell asleep waiting for a turn last night to LEAVE the pavilion of butterflies & woke up to the event being over.

--
-Irym-
It's only when you cannot hear the bats, that is when the bats are coming. This is the only advice I have to give.
0 link
Irym Ydell
Irym Ydell

4 days ago
All that said though, I did love the entire atmosphere of the event & the aestetic. I miss my moth mask so much. I need more moth things. I need more red handed things. Let us be terrible in game. wink

--
-Irym-
It's only when you cannot hear the bats, that is when the bats are coming. This is the only advice I have to give.
+1 link
Siankan
Siankan

4 days ago
Kaminski wrote:
The changes introduced to Hallowmas were unexpected but most certainly not unwelcome

You've just told your age. Mine, too.

--
Prof. Sian Kan, at your service.
+1 link
thepetitecouturier
thepetitecouturier

4 days ago
Will any unused Spirit of Hallowmas disappear after the 14th or is it like Taste of Lacre that we can save for next year?
0 link
theonie
theonie

4 days ago
Optimatum wrote:
theonie wrote:
How did you end up with a choice of all three? The only option available to me was the Queen but I thought I had spent about the same time / number of visits to each party, and obviously converted all three Menaces to Spirit.

I was very careful to turn in each menace the same number of times (total quantity converted didn't matter) and used some tech wizardry to stay on track. It was really easy to get off-course; I think some of FBG's tweaks at the beginning of the holiday made things unpredictable.

Can I ask did you end Hallowmas by wearing a mask, or had you removed it before the end? I tried on all three (for the lore) and kept the Moth Mask at the end so now I'm wondering whether that directed me towards the Queen. Otherwise, it must be as you say, and I spent more time in the Pavilion than I realized!

--
theonie, an inescapable, midnight, terrifying, and irresistible lady. All social actions except Affluent Photographer welcome. As a Midnighter, will gladly accept all invitations to Orphanages.
0 link
Bevan
Bevan

3 days ago
OK - newbie is lost again...
I have navigated all of the rewards, and have got my token for spending all the time with the Queen (what can I say? I like moths...) But I didn't read the text properly, and I'm sure it said that I need to equip it somewhere. But I can't find the token either in my possessions or under Myself, and I can't find the slot to equip it. Am I being blind again?
0 link
Alexander Feld
Alexander Feld

3 days ago
Under "Myself," there should be a button to the left that says "Expanded." That lists the extra inventory slots like Affiliations, Ships, etc. The new items are Affiliations.
edited by Alexander Feld on 11/8/2019

--
I am a star-gazer, story-eater, and a smelter of words.

I filch hidden things from hidden places, to hide once more in my dark cabinet of curiosities

Alexander Feld, the mad, damned, lord of seekers.
+1 link
Aardvark
Aardvark

3 days ago
I completely agree that this was likely the best and most enjoyable Hallowmas of them all - and I'm saying that as one of the two people on the forums who actually immensely enjoyed the Great Notability Grind of 1894 :P . (In fact I wish some actual use for Notability popped up from time to time, for the sake of us long-term endgame players.)

Irym Ydell wrote:
All that said though, I did love the entire atmosphere of the event & the aestetic. I miss my moth mask so much. I need more moth things. I need more red handed things. Let us be terrible in game. wink

Actually, for me, the Moth mask is still found in the Seasonal qualities. I don't know if that will hold after the Hallowmas is completely over, but so far we've kept it.

Lastly, I certainly hope the topics and themes of expeditions, Elder Continent and Parabola which have been the focus of this and last year's Hallowmas will be carried over and delved into more deeply. For me, these are the most intriguing aspects of the Neath, and less plumbed than many other areas.

Here's to more fine encounters - Red-Handed or otherwise - in the realms of Is-Not!

--
Sir Reginald Monteroy, Correspondent
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Sir Reginald Monteroy

Will gladly come teach at your Orphanage, if you PM me in game.
+1 link
dov
dov

3 days ago
Aardvark wrote:
I completely agree that this was likely the best and most enjoyable Hallowmas of them all - and I'm saying that as one of the two people on the forums who actually immensely enjoyed the Great Notability Grind of 1894 :P .

I still sorely miss the mechanics of Hallowmas 1891 and 1892. Especially the "Trust" and "Betrayed by" qualities, which really added a unique level to character interactions.

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+2 link
Dudebro Pyro
Dudebro Pyro

3 days ago
Aardvark wrote:
I completely agree that this was likely the best and most enjoyable Hallowmas of them all - and I'm saying that as one of the two people on the forums who actually immensely enjoyed the Great Notability Grind of 1894 :P.

Wasn't 1894 the one where you only needed N4, or N5 to force-draw the Amanuensis? My memory is in no way particularly reliable but to my recollection the year after that (1895) they suddenly bumped it to N7/N8 respectively (and everyone plunged into frantic panic), the next year again (1896) they removed confession purchase/grinding completely while simultaneously adding the Arbor component to spend confessions on, and that was last year - and now we're in 1897 where they actually struck a reasonable balance between available confessions and confession uses again.

--
Dudebro Pyro, eccentric scholar

Spare Starveling Kitties always welcome. I collect them.
For that matter, send me your unwanted cat boxes too.
0 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

3 days ago
Aardvark wrote:
I completely agree that this was likely the best and most enjoyable Hallowmas of them all - and I'm saying that as one of the two people on the forums who actually immensely enjoyed the Great Notability Grind of 1894 :P .

This Hallowmas was definitely an improvement over the last couple, but I still had more fun with old Hallowmas, when we got Spirit via social actions. The new mechanics are more polished and have more flavor, but exchanging social actions with hundreds of other players gave a sense of communal play that hasn't happened since. This year's Spirit grind was fun but quickly turned to just going through the motions. Although my perspective may be colored by falling short of 2500 Spirit this year, in contrast to my experiences with old Hallowmas after we learned the target amount.

I miss Huffam, though...

theonie wrote:
Can I ask did you end Hallowmas by wearing a mask, or had you removed it before the end? I tried on all three (for the lore) and kept the Moth Mask at the end so now I'm wondering whether that directed me towards the Queen. Otherwise, it must be as you say, and I spent more time in the Pavilion than I realized!

I still had my mask at the end. Pretty sure the only factor was how many times you turned in each menace—it was just very difficult to keep track for some reason.
edited by Optimatum on 11/8/2019

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Cider? Just say hi!

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+3 link
Shalinoth
Shalinoth

3 days ago
Any chance of being able to upgrade Companions, for those of us who misinterpreted the Season information?

I left all my Confession decisions until the 7th.. when upgrades were locked out for some reason.

Sad urchin is sad.

--
Profiles: Shally, Chimes & Jack~of~Smiles . . . Current Goal:
+2 link
Bevan
Bevan

3 days ago
Alexander Feld wrote:
Under "Myself," there should be a button to the left that says "Expanded." That lists the extra inventory slots like Affiliations, Ships, etc. The new items are Affiliations.
edited by Alexander Feld on 11/8/2019

Thanks! Finally found it under the picture of my lodgings. Wasn't even aware that that existed...!
+2 link
the old man
the old man

3 days ago
thank you for the fool for giving my alt a rubbery cat it was too poor in secrets from seeking that which should not be looked for
0 link
Josiah Thimblerig
Josiah Thimblerig

3 days ago
I ended Hallowmas by gaining the Red-Handed affiliation and equipped it, then went on an Expedition in the Forgotten Quarter. As usual I used a buccaneering approach throughout. With every action, my Rivals' Progress increased. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Josiah%20Thimblerig
+1 link
sivartis
sivartis

3 days ago
Shalinoth wrote:
Any chance of being able to upgrade Companions, for those of us who misinterpreted the Season information?

I left all my Confession decisions until the 7th.. when upgrades were locked out for some reason.

Sad urchin is sad.

Seconded. I really thought we had until the 14th to upgrade companions.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sivartis

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Travis%20Campbell
+1 link
Tozh Taurog
Tozh Taurog

2 days ago
I, too, think this was most enjoyable Hallowmas. Even though I was too busy with RL to play enough for knighthood, or even getting my last companion update - it was still the best. New fun companions, upgrades to fairly rare interesting things, and something fun to do, with choices and collecting menaces. I wonder if Huffam will still show up? But even if he doesn't, it was still the best Hallowmas to date for me.

--
A Correspondent. Thrilled to advance science by educating the younger generation at your Orphanage. A Marvellous player. Willing to talk about it to the press. An amateur horticulturist.
Usually up for socializing, especially with text.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/TozhTaurog
+1 link