Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

Hallowmas 1897 Messages in this topic - RSS

Kharsirr Lynx
Kharsirr Lynx

10/25/2019
Quidam wrote:
I love the three masked ball. I wish the type of Menace tied to each ball were better foreshadowed in the choice of mask, although they might already be foreshadowed and I'm just to stupid to notice it.

I don't quite understand how the confession system work. I choose the moth mask and went to the ball in Veilgarden (hehe, moth ball). Someone came to see me when my nightmare quality reached 7. After that, I could get a random confession, until the option disappeared, a little bit after (but not immediately after, if my memory is correct) I had changed my mask to the one representing a demon, and made an appearance to the ball in watchmaker's hill. However, I decided then to return to the derelict ship, and raised my suspicion to 7, to get another visitor (not to be confused with a strange visitor, who show your futur), but the option to get a confession did not reappeared. Speaking of strange visitor, was this because I made the moronic decision to choose a possible futur, and therefore made the "The Gates of Midnight" option appeared, when I already had a destiny?

Sorry for the questions. I don't think it's a bug, probably just a screw up on my part. It's probably incredibly obvious to everyone what I did wrong, but I have the intellectual capacity of a slug, so I don't understand.

You can get 7 Confessions first week, and 6 more on second one.

You can buy upgraded companions with Confessions.

You can exchange your Menaces, assuming you have Menace 7, to Spirit of Hallowmas.

The Spirit can't be cashed out in any way yet, we can only collect more.

It will be cashed out, somehow, at the end of the Hallowmas, depending of which Menace you would have trade in more.

Confessions and Spirit is the two totally different things mechanics-wise. I do hope there will be a way to convert Spirit to Confessions though! But only hope.

Oh, and different Masques will help you to get the Menaces up relatively quickly.

It's much easier if your chosen Mask correlates with Masque - better options are available then.
edited by Kharsirr Lynx on 10/25/2019

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Kharsirr%20Lynx
+3 link
Waterpls
Waterpls

10/25/2019
Looks like i have found use for my piles of Counterfeit Heads of John the Baptist.
edited by Waterpls on 10/25/2019

--
Long grinds: Heptagoat 1/7; Cider Done; Correspondence 21/21; Paramount 4/4.
0 link
JaneAnkhVeos
JaneAnkhVeos

10/25/2019
⚠️

1. The non-discardable mask-cards stay in your hand if you change the mask (becoming an inactive obstacle).

2. The gear bonus still helps summon the Fool at menace level 7, but the Spirit of Hallowmas gain now depends on pure menace level.

edited by JaneAnkhVeos on 10/25/2019

--
|| black ravens of dreams || white ravens of memories ||
0 link
James Sinclair
James Sinclair

10/25/2019
I currently have a Triple Crown and I'd really like to explore the new storylet(s) in New Newgate, but I don't want to increase my Criminal Record, and I don't want to take a hit to Shadowy by failing to rob the Brass Embassy (I recently overcapped with 15 Notability). Is there any other way to get sent directly to prison? If I hit Suspicion 8 during Hallowmas, does anything special happen, or do I have to sit before old Ironclad Wickes again?

--
James Sinclair

Curator of the Sanguine Ribbon Society 🗡

A fully-fledged rêveur of The Night Circus.

Wines is red
Spices is yellow
But old Jack-of-Smiles
Is a murderous fellow
+2 link
Tsar Koschei
Tsar Koschei

10/25/2019
This business of cards to get into masques for free, do you need to be anywhere in particular to draw them? Haven't seen any yet.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Tsar%20Koschei

No chess, loitering, friendly sparring, coffee at Caligula's or Affluent Photographer, please.
0 link
Tsar Koschei
Tsar Koschei

10/25/2019
This business of cards to get into masques for free, do you need to be anywhere in particular to draw them? Haven't seen any yet.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Tsar%20Koschei

No chess, loitering, friendly sparring, coffee at Caligula's or Affluent Photographer, please.
0 link
Ulysses Kingfisher
Ulysses Kingfisher

10/25/2019
Tsar Koschei wrote:

They are supposed to be "frequent" frequency but I haven't come across them very often. I wonder if you have to be in the location of the masque you have the mask for? (That would make sense.)

--
C'est moi
0 link
Siankan
Siankan

10/25/2019
Hannah Flynn wrote:
I'm glad to see everyone having fun with the new elements of Hallowmas!

Very much yes! You seem to have preserved what we loved about Hallowmas (upgraded companions! hooray!), eliminated what we least liked (Notability what again!?), and given us an odd but enjoyable grind that keeps us involved all Hallowmas. If the Spirit of Hallowmas cash-in isn't disappointing, then I'd say this year's Hallowmas is up to the level of the Feast of the Exceptional Rose.

The only point that worries me: we have no idea what this Menace grind is going for, or whether it would be worth it. We all love mystery around here, of course, but there's the built-in opportunity for disappointment (either "If I'd only done one more masque!" or "I did way too much of that!") when we don't have any idea where we're heading. Not sure I have a solution for that which satisfies all interests, but it's the only potential fly I see in the ointment. The mechanics themselves are a lot of fun.

--
Prof. Sian Kan, at your service.
+2 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

10/25/2019
So far the mechanics and the writing is superb! I feel like there is an actual celebration going on.
But I would love to have an estimate of how much spirit we are going to need at the end. For example should I try to go to the boatma with all three masks on? Or am I dooming my chances for a reward at the end? Even though I care more for the writing than the actual reward, I would hate to either come up short, or miss on exploring because I was scared I would come up short.
edited by Jolanda Swan on 10/25/2019

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
+2 link
the old man
the old man

10/25/2019
how much spirt does everyone have at the time of writing I have 230 first time can someone say what is best to get a good reward

--
an old man from the colony's mentioning his name to the right people might get you help to the wrong a beating
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/The%20old%20man
no plant battles please for the love of god
0 link
Siankan
Siankan

10/25/2019
the old man wrote:
how much spirt does everyone have at the time of writing I have 230 first time can someone say what is best to get a good reward

No one knows. Failbetter hasn't said anything more than what you can find in the announcement at the head of this topic. The mechanic is entirely new, so we know nothing.

--
+1 link
the old man
the old man

10/26/2019
thank you kindly

--
an old man from the colony's mentioning his name to the right people might get you help to the wrong a beating
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/The%20old%20man
no plant battles please for the love of god
0 link
NotaWalrus
NotaWalrus

10/26/2019
My alt is in disgraced exile with the demon mask and I don't see any extra options.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/NotaWalrus
Ignacious, the Licentious Scholar, he will accept most social invitations, including boxed cats and affluent photographers (but only betrayals), though he is absent-minded and might take more time than entirely necessary. He apologizes.

Good evening from Ignacious
Ignacious's Backtory
0 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

10/26/2019
Technically, we've seen Spirit of Hallowmas before a long time ago, and at the time the highest level reward required 500. That said, it worked very differently at the time.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Cider? Just say hi! Christmas Cards appreciated though, especially the Fogscape with Tentacles.

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+1 link
Siankan
Siankan

10/26/2019
I wanted to point something out that I think is getting lost in the general delight of the Menace Masques and all their grandeur. Hallowmas has, ever since the major reboot of 1894, been dogged by two problems: confession pinches and limited information. I have mentioned these myself, and I've hardly been alone. This year, however, Failbetter has taken both of these problems head-on.

1. We were told, at the very beginning, precisely how many confessions we were getting, so that we could plan from day one exactly what we wanted and needed to do.

2. The new writing (which, let's admit, is becoming as big a Hallowmas draw as the companion upgrades) has been divorced from confessions entirely, so that we no longer have last year's choice of companions v. story for those of us on a budget. Consequently, we also have no need for the emergency confession distributions of years past.

3. Speaking of confessions, without all the extra draws on them, they no longer feel pinched. I can get all the companion upgrades I really want with the free confessions. Completionists will still need Fate, which is entirely reasonable, but I don't feel left out of the event simply because I'm an adjunct professor with three kids to feed.

4. When first-day confusion did pop up (as it will), we got in-game clarification within a few hours. People were confused about masks and masques; text appeared clarifying their relationship. People were confused about Menace gear; text appeared clarifying how that affects the judgement of the Fool's Apostate. These little in-game reminders are far more valuable than any number of forum posts, and will reach every player.

The in-game text, more loudly than anything else, tells me that Failbetter has learned from past events, and very much has its collective ear to the ground this year. So Chris, Olivia, James, Hannah, and all the rest of you, I just wanted you to know that the little improvements (and the hard work behind them) are noticed and appreciated.

Will you raise the Broken Giant with me? To failing better!

--
+8 link
James Sinclair
James Sinclair

10/26/2019
Siankan wrote:
Will you raise the Broken Giant with me? To failing better!
I agree wholeheartedly. A glass of Hell's best for everyone! The FBG team has really done a splendid job this year not only with setting up the event, but being responsive as well. And they addressed another complaint from last year: that the upgraded companions reused the same art as their normal counterparts. I'm really enjoying the new artwork for both the new companions and the event storylets.

--
James Sinclair

Wines is red
Spices is yellow
But old Jack-of-Smiles
Is a murderous fellow
+8 link
Siankan
Siankan

10/26/2019
Yes! I'd meant to mention that, too. It's a small thing, but it makes a big difference.

--
+1 link
Shaerys
Shaerys

10/26/2019
Has anyone with Spirit in the 1000+ range (I'm sure there are a few by now) noticed any change in the text attached to the Quality? Mine is currently "Your deeds this Hallowmas are drawing attention". I was hoping perhaps changing text on the quality levels might signal relative standing. (Which would be a nice in-game way to telegraph when enough is enough, though perhaps they'll be setting the bar based on distributions as they did for connected-to-favour conversions before.)

PS I'll add my voice to the chorus of "nicely done this year, FB!"
edited by Shaerys on 10/26/2019

--
http://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/Shaerys
Courier's Footprint, pleased to offer introductory Correspondence instruction to Orphans, Urchins, Waifs, Scamps, and other Tatterdemalions.
0 link
James Sinclair
James Sinclair

10/26/2019
NotaWalrus wrote:
My alt is in disgraced exile with the demon mask and I don't see any extra options.
While wearing the Moth mask, I came across a new opportunity card in the Mirror-Marches featuring the Glasswhisper ("A Face in the Mirror", silver-bordered, standard frequency, requires Nightmares 5, moves you to Lodgings for 1 action, does not reset Nightmares). If there is a new card in the tomb-colonies (and I assume there is), you may just not have drawn it yet.
edited by James Sinclair on 10/26/2019

--
James Sinclair

Wines is red
Spices is yellow
But old Jack-of-Smiles
Is a murderous fellow
0 link
Pryno Belle
Pryno Belle

10/26/2019
I have seen nothing in the Tomb-Colonies with the demon mask. Then again, I might have been out of luck (and cards). I did draw 18 cards.

--
A sweet smile for urchins. A deceitful grin for everyone else.

A forensic doctor, gone to the Neath to pursue a relationship with a zailor. He has gone East, but she remains, the heart full of ambition.
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Pryno

Available for social interactions, especially those that raise making waves.
0 link