Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Off topic: The Surface

Discuss topics unrelated to our games here - as ever, be courteous and have fun!

Alexis Kennedy hit w/ multiple #MeToo allegations Messages in this topic - RSS

dov
dov

8/29/2019
Emily Short has been retweeting several people's firsthand accounts on this.

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
0 link
Quidam
Quidam

8/29/2019
I am glad that these numerous accounts of sexual harassment are taken seriously. It is a good thing that some women, though probably not all unfortunately, now feel safe enough to report his behavior (I am not saying that any victim of harassment should report, but rather that those who want to report now feel that they can do it).

I am saying all this because I recently bought Sunless Sea (which I think he said was 1/3 written by him) and Cultist Simulator (which was almost entirely written by him, the exceptions being the multiples romance endings) and was enjoying them both. Not only that, but I was listening to multiple podcasts, streams and interviews with him and I was interest in his insight as recently as yesterday. I know that you can enjoy the good bit and separate it from the bad bit, that the author is dead anyway, and it would not be the first time I read a text and enjoy art from an author that is a "doofus" (to avoid stronger words), but if writing is supposed to reflect in some way the ideas of the writer, then are there subtle ways in which harmful idea are being communicated through his work? If so, I would hate to say to those that are harmed by the writing "yeah, but I liked those bits, so it doesn't matter what you say." That would be really awful, and hurtful. I know that this isn't what these women are talking about, but I have been told that these small things can be toxic.

Anyway, this whole post is very, very egoistic and I have no idea what am talking about. The important thing (I guess) is that I support those who have been hurt by Alexis Kennedy.

P.S.: As usual, you can correct my grammar if you want to. English is not my first language and I am happy to learn more.

--
Just another face in the crowd
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Quidam
+4 link
Lord Alexander Alderman
Lord Alexander Alderman

8/29/2019
I agree with a lot of this, but to state that because Alexis authored a lot of the things in the FL universe, means we should be suspicious of all his works, some, like H.P. Lovecraft, can be glaringly obvious in hindsight. But we shouldn't assume that, despite Alexis' undeniably high quality artistic writing, that he fits this definition of what writing is supposed to be, with his works relating to women being quite progressive despite what we now know his attitudes are. If we do see any of his works supporting his idea of what ''romance'' should be in the real world, then by all means try remove that influence. But we shouldn't get rid of the works that don't, just because they now have an air of suspicion. We should look carefully at parts that could be interpreted as being supportive of those behaviors when we see them, and make a verdict about what it really means, or decide if a somewhat more ambiguous case leans too far towards this bent of his. As I stated about deodands. (A rather useful word to know, when many people are discomforted by things when they are casually related to a negative event.)
edited by Lord Alexander Alderman on 8/29/2019
+3 link
Lord Alexander Alderman
Lord Alexander Alderman

8/29/2019
Suspicion is rising...

(too soon?)
edited by Lord Alexander Alderman on 8/29/2019
+3 link
rahv7
rahv7

8/30/2019
FWIW, Caoláin (aka Spacemarine9) has written a few words, too:

https://twitter.com/murinemach/status/1166875180184080384

This article also mentioned

Weather Factory's head of marketing and PR Claire Sharkey has announced that she has left the company, following several abuse accusations towards the studio's co-founder Alexis Kennedy.

(The article has been edited now and I can't find that part anymore, so take it with a grain of salt.)
edited by rahv7 on 8/30/2019

--
It's possible people have forgotten that there is an actual devil in the actual Lord Mayor's office. A devil who is promising to look after people's souls. What is wrong with everybody?

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/rahv7
+1 link
xKiv
xKiv

8/30/2019
Lord Alexander Alderman wrote:
We should look carefully at parts that could be interpreted as being supportive of those behaviors when we see them, and make a verdict about what it really means, or decide if a somewhat more ambiguous case leans too far towards this bent of his.

I see the original result in "the lead" in a different light now.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/xKiv - a witchful, percussive, dangermous and shadowry scholar of coexplodence, hopsidirean, and walker of fallen kitties.
0 link
Helen Demeter
Helen Demeter

8/30/2019
rahv7 wrote:
FWIW, Caoláin (aka Spacemarine9) has written a few words, too:

https://twitter.com/murinemach/status/1166875180184080384

This article also mentioned

Weather Factory's head of marketing and PR Claire Sharkey has announced that she has left the company, following several abuse accusations towards the studio's co-founder Alexis Kennedy.

(The article has been edited now and I can't find that part anymore, so take it with a grain of salt.)
edited by rahv7 on 8/30/2019

I can confirm that that bit was in the article. Google's snippet for the newspiece still has it pop up if you enter a certain term. It was removed since that bit of information was taken from Clarie Sharkey's private and locked Twitter account. (Which has now been deleted, from my understanding.)

--
Helen Demeter, the Bohemian Beauty
Has finally returned after an unexpected hiatus. Please mind the dust but do know that I'm now open to all social actions and invitations.
0 link
The Elfin Cannibal
The Elfin Cannibal

8/31/2019
May a reckoning not be postponed indefinitely.

--
DO you recall how the Hunger began?
I'm sorry, my darling, I don't think I can!
OUT past the High Wilderness and beyond
I fear I've gone Seeking, for of Him I'm fond.
--The Elfin Cannibal

Seven scars, seven chains, a soul too stained for Hell, and seven sainted candles burning at the well.

Gone to Grieve on the 17th day of the 7th month, 1897.
+3 link
Desirée
Desirée

9/4/2019
Thank you for posting this here for us who don't use Twitter. It was a heartbreaking read.
+5 link
Tystefy
Tystefy

9/6/2019
When I first learned of this, I audibly whispered "Oh no."

--
Will sometimes return to post absurdity.
+2 link
Lord Alexander Alderman
Lord Alexander Alderman

9/6/2019
Look at what you've done, Alexis. You've perturbed this innocent puppy! Your reckoning will most certainly not be postponed indefinitely.
+1 link
Kaminski
Kaminski

9/7/2019
I don't use Twitter and am very much out of the loop even regarding the Failbetter forums so reading this after logging in shocked me greatly.

I've been considering buying Cultist Simulator, now I can safely say I won't be touching that product or any future works by AK.

--
Kaminski; Correspondent, magnanimous hedonist. Available for most types of social actions
0 link
Josiah Thimblerig
Josiah Thimblerig

9/8/2019
The talk page for AK's wikipedia entry now includes references to this thread and the FB twitter statement.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Josiah%20Thimblerig
0 link
Drake Dynamo
Drake Dynamo

9/8/2019
I know this will be quite the unpopular opinion, but I remain highly skeptical that these accusations only come now, when the eye of the outrage machine is turned towards the gaming community. Why not back in 2017, during the initial MeToo wave? If Alexis was such an awful person, why was nearly everyone so amiable about him?
Alexis has been open about his office relationships before- I believe he wrote a Eurogamer piece about maintaining a relationship with Lottie while both worked at FBG- and no one said anything then about him going over the line. Too many of the accusations against him- save Olivia's- are full of vagaries and unsubstantiated claims. I'm willing to accept that Alexis had a rocky and ethically dubious relationship with Ms. Wood, but beyond that I must hold the remaining allegations as just that until I see concrete proof.

--
Oh no. Another post from that goon who goes on about statistics.

Drake Dynamo -Correspondent, Hesperidean Cider Drinker , Matchmaker, and Paramount Presence
The Antioch - The Coffee God (I do not check this account often)
Mr. Mauvais - A ghostly skullduggerous fellow, chopped up for the time being (Only active during seasonal events)

Guide to becoming a Poet-Laureate
If you need to discuss RP matters, I can typically be found on the IRC in #Argo.
-7 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

9/8/2019
Drake Dynamo wrote:
Why not back in 2017, during the initial MeToo wave?

Because of the threats he made, and because those who have been abused and traumatised don't owe it to you to reveal that abuse and trauma at a time that suits your schedule.

Drake Dynamo wrote:
If Alexis was such an awful person, why was nearly everyone so amiable about him?

Because abusers are often good at hiding their bad behaviour and being charming, while those that did know the truth remained publicly silent out of respect for the wishes of the victims.

--
Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
+13 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

9/8/2019
Many other are out of the loop, so I'll reference the Reddit discussion here for more information, debates, questions and opinions.

--
ESs items and quality requirements sheet. Please check if there are errors or if something is missing
Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
+3 link
Televangelist
Televangelist

9/8/2019
Drake Dynamo wrote:
I know this will be quite the unpopular opinion, but I remain highly skeptical that these accusations only come now, when the eye of the outrage machine is turned towards the gaming community.

The fact that you derisively refer to it as the 'outrage machine' suggests you're not calibrated well on this topic.
+8 link
phryne
phryne

9/8/2019
Drake Dynamo wrote:
I know this will be quite the unpopular opinion...
... and absolutely nobody is surprised about it being you voicing that opinion. xD

--
Exceptional Stories, sorted by Season and by writerFavours & Renown GuideDestiny Guide
Go play StoryNexus games - while you still can!
+2 link
Drake Dynamo
Drake Dynamo

9/8/2019
Regardless, I think it best if we wait to hear all sides of the story before rendering judgement- a process of judgement which has worked, I might add, since the days of the Ancient Greeks. This whole situation reminds me of the debacle with ProJared- someone who was accused of a lot of scummy, & some illegal, behaviors, and was promptly crucified by the internet at large. Then, after a number of months passed, ProJared returned with evidence to refute the claims made against him, and a number of people had to apologize for rushing to judge him (I will admit, I was one of those people who judged him, and I have learned from the experience).

I understand these are tense and emotional times, but I think we'd all benefit from some forbearance, and consideration of all parties.

--
Oh no. Another post from that goon who goes on about statistics.

Drake Dynamo -Correspondent, Hesperidean Cider Drinker , Matchmaker, and Paramount Presence
The Antioch - The Coffee God (I do not check this account often)
Mr. Mauvais - A ghostly skullduggerous fellow, chopped up for the time being (Only active during seasonal events)

Guide to becoming a Poet-Laureate
If you need to discuss RP matters, I can typically be found on the IRC in #Argo.
+1 link
MidnightVoyager
MidnightVoyager

9/8/2019
Drake Dynamo wrote:
Regardless, I think it best if we wait to hear all sides of the story before rendering judgement- a process of judgement which has worked, I might add, since the days of the Ancient Greeks. This whole situation reminds me of the debacle with ProJared- someone who was accused of a lot of scummy, & some illegal, behaviors, and was promptly crucified by the internet at large. Then, after a number of months passed, ProJared returned with evidence to refute the claims made against him, and a number of people had to apologize for rushing to judge him (I will admit, I was one of those people who judged him, and I have learned from the experience).

I understand these are tense and emotional times, but I think we'd all benefit from some forbearance, and consideration of all parties.

Don't be that guy.

--
Midnight Voyager - A blood-cousin to predators. Collector of beasts. Affably mad.
+6 link