Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Election

A place for in-game political discussion.

Election 1898 Candidate Speculation Messages in this topic - RSS

Hannah Flynn
Hannah Flynn
Administrator

7/29/2019
With the 1897 election closing today, it's never too soon to speculate on who you'd like to see in the running next year. How did you find this year's candidates? What kind of competition would whet your appetites in future?

(As ever, we delight in these discussions, and often take nuggets of inspiration from them, but this is not a formal request thread, and next year's candidates will be selected by FBG. Pls have fun.)

--
Wields the news canon, aboard the hype train.
+3 link
Hattington
Hattington

7/29/2019
The office of mayor demands many things. Respectability, composure and a certain focused fierceness in every good leader. We need candidates who can be trusted to be the progress we deserve without changing anything we don't need, candidates who can broaden our horizens and candidates who already have tremendous experience in statesmanship.

I am of course suggesting, in complete sincerity, that the Dawn Machine, Stone and Salt run for the office of mayor next year.

--
Dreaded and judged
+10 link
Azothi
Azothi

7/29/2019
Jolanda Swan wrote:
I would love to see candidates such as
-The Soft Hearted Widow (A bone to pick with the Dawn machine? A signature FL character given more substance, for those who haven't played the ES?)

-His Amused Lordship (More about the Dilmun club - seeking lore - our friend the Sardonic Singer)

-Mr Huffam. (Spite, the press, the blackmail, oh the glorious blackmail).
I wholeheartedly support all of these. I'd love to see them as candidates.

To list a few more I'd suggest:

The Barbed Wit: Her invective would be unparalleled; her rhetoric a key threat in the Election. She also offers a chance to bring palace intrigue into the story, someone within high society but nevertheless appealing outside of it.

The Manager of the Royal Bethlehem: A candidate linked to dreams - to revolution - to the past. The lore opportunities are boundless.

The Dark-Spectacled Admiral: He may not be a common face in Fallen London, but with the focus on the Skies, a call-back to the zee would be an interesting topic.

--
Azoth I, the Amaranthine Wanderer - Midnighter - A Paramount Presence (not currently accepting new Proteges)
Away to where the Chain cannot bind us.
Hesperidean.
+8 link
Siankan
Siankan

7/29/2019
Hannah Flynn wrote:
What kind of competition would whet your appetites in future?

Hannah, dear, did you have to use this particular phrasing in the year Mrs. Plenty was running? (You did, didn't you?)

I thought this year's candidates were, in one sense, very inventive and interesting, with takes on the race that we've never really had before. On the other hand, it was also markedly difficult to nail any of them down. There was considerable obfuscation about ends and means in all three campaigns, and that left me feeling lukewarm toward all of them. Two years ago, I backed the DTC because I really believed in her (though I would've been happy backing the Detective if the DTC hadn't been running). Last year I backed the Contrarian because the other two campaigns were embodied disaster. This year, I sat on the fence between Mrs. Plenty and Mme Shoshana until the last day of the election, not because they were both so brilliant that I couldn't choose, but because neither of them were compelling enough to sell me.

The biggest challenge with the election is to make it a real race. We've talked for years about the races feeling like a foregone conclusion, though we may strive and struggle to lift up our own candidate just in case. The pattern, as I see it, is this:

Most years we have ended up with a strongly polarizing candidate. While individuals may change position from year to year, London as a whole breaks down into supporters and opponents of a dangerous candidate. In a three-man race, one of these camps is always split. In 1895 it was the opposition, and Feducci sailed on to an easy victory. In 1896 there were two dangerous, polarizing candidates, and the Contrarian won by playing the straight man. (If this pattern holds, Virginia will be the winner for 1897. I am entirely happy for it to break down.) As long we have two even-ish groups split three ways, the victory of the undivided camp will seem (if not be) foregone.

So what does one do about it? We could have two candidates, one a loose cannon, one straight-laced. (This isn't too far-fetched; our England was in 1898 a two-party country.) We could make all three candidates strongly polarizing, or none. Each solution comes with its own entailments; none are perfect. Perhaps the best solution is to simply switch between them, so that each year has its own pattern.

--
Prof. Sian Kan, at your service.
+8 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

7/29/2019
-The Soft Hearted Widow (A bone to pick with the Dawn machine? A signature FL character given more substance, for those who haven't played the ES?)

-His Amused Lordship (More about the Dilmun club - seeking lore - our friend the Sardonic Singer)

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
+7 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

7/31/2019
Could we... don't say no right away... could we... dress the Bazaar in the sentient pile of clothes?

--
Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
+7 link
JaneAnkhVeos
JaneAnkhVeos

7/30/2019
Vorwoda Hawksby wrote:
Mr. Eaten

A referendum will not be postponed indefinitely.
+6 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

7/29/2019
If there's one thing this year's election proved, it's that candidates don't have to have an established stake in government, society or business to throw their hat in the ring. Next year, anyone could run.

--
+6 link
Theodemos
Theodemos

7/29/2019
The Rubbery Entrepreneur would be interesting. He's just a normal chap, trying to venally exploit the role and at the same time give his cephalopodian brethren the vote...

The Contrarian in A Wig. Of course it isn't him. He doesn't wear a wig!

The Boatman. Fair play. Penance. Regular working hours...
+6 link
C.H
C.H

7/29/2019
I want a tiger lord mayor. Do you want a tiger lord mayor?
+6 link
Gul al-Ahlaam
Gul al-Ahlaam

7/29/2019
The obvious choice for Lord Mayor is the great Doctor Carrywell, chief researcher of Venderbight's Grand Sanatorium. She's brilliant, charismatic, cunning, ambitious, and absolutely chockablock with secrets. What London needs is someone willing and able to plumb its mysteries in the name of scientific curiosity and the public good, and Carrywell would be a perfect choice. Not to mention, she has some... political experience already.

--
The Uncanny Hierophant.
The Delicate Princeling.
+5 link
Tom Davidson
Tom Davidson

7/29/2019
Gul, why do you keep encouraging mayoral candidates that I need to kill?

--
http://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/Black%20Tom
+5 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

7/30/2019
I'd be happy not to see any returning candidates. The Contrarian ran twice because that's his defining characteristic - he'll argue both sides of the same topic.

--
+5 link
Vladison Ianchester
Vladison Ianchester

7/29/2019
Diptych wrote:
If there's one thing this year's election proved, it's that candidates don't have to have an established stake in government, society or business to throw their hat in the ring. Next year, anyone could run.

I say it right here. Better double down on the bizarre to make the elections better if they' don't mean much anymore.

The Rubbery Entrepreneur. Yey for equality of the poor rubbery souls. Nobody will understand him but who cares. Plus a fan favorite as it seems.

A Bunch of Cavies lumped into a medieval armor or Rats in a suit. The cavies would be so huggable and still probably manlier than all the sailors and pirates down in Wolfstack. And I just can't wait to see the reaction of the Duchess and all the cats in London in the case of the rats.

A Random Clothes Colony. What else would better describe the nonsensical nature of London than saying to your unknowing friends: "Yes you heard me right, a literal pile of walking clothes got elected into the office by the people. It had my vote too, you know?" Honeymazed people must also have a good candidate choice, otherwise it is discrimination!
edited by Vlad on 7/29/2019

--
The Undecided Scholar.
Came looking for Correspondence and found gold in the Nadir.
Hard to piece together all the missing pieces in those faded mysteries, but enough darkdrop coffee should offer more than enough late hours. Good against Fingerkings too.
+4 link
JamesSilver
JamesSilver

8/2/2019
The Gracious Widow vs The Duchess vs The Manager, if you know what I mean.

--
an exceptional weasel
+4 link
Hannah Flynn
Hannah Flynn
Administrator

7/31/2019
So just to confirm for my notes - what's this say? - you're hoping for a sentient pile of clothes vs the Bazaar in a two-thing race for mayorship. Ok, noted! Big Grin

--
Wields the news canon, aboard the hype train.
+4 link
Calliope
Calliope

8/8/2019
A little known fact about the Neath is that there in fact exactly 3 Stone Pigs, and when they wake up, they immediately all go up to the city to run for mayor. After a brisk and enthusiastic political campaign where much antics and friendly banter is had between the candidates, a vote is held for the winner. For some reason, nobody much shows up for these votes (voter engagement is so difficult these days), so it usually ends with the 3 Pigs deciding which one of them did the best and electing that Pig mayor. Then, with the election complete, they immediately tuck themselves to bed and sleep throughout the entirety of their mayoral term, in honour of the mayoral tradition to get absolutely nothing done while in office.
edited by Calliope Rannis on 8/8/2019
edited by Calliope Rannis on 8/8/2019

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Calliope%20Rannis
+3 link
JaneAnkhVeos
JaneAnkhVeos

8/2/2019
JamesSilver wrote:

And each of the God-Eaters as their respective campaign assistants. Taking care of business, holding banquets... wink
+3 link
Tystefy
Tystefy

8/1/2019
I said it last year, I'll say it again: a Master with a fake mustache.

--
Will sometimes return to post absurdity.
+3 link
Vryl
Vryl

7/30/2019
Anne Auclair wrote:
It is a very weird world in which the Bishop of Southwark is not conferred Badass status. Very weird.

Anyway, I'd like to again propose that our first three mayors all have a rematch together next year. First, all three would be equally balanced, each having gotten a pretty overwhelming showing. Second, they're very different so they'd each represent very different alternatives. Third, all three no doubt heavily dislike one another by this point, so there would be a nice amount of conflict. And finally, having them return to the scene would help create some larger narratives to tie the elections together, as each candidate would not just be promising things, but also defending their past performance in office (and rubbishing the others). This would allow some retroactive fleshing out.

I most certainly do not want to see this. Jenny beat the Contrarian by a fair margin the first year, with the Contrarian doing as well as he did only because the Bishop got very, very little support. Throwing Feducci in when Feducci's *winning* percentage was lower than the Contrarian's *losing* percentage does not seem like it would really make a huge difference.

Moreover, seeing as Sinning Jenny actually did something she promised (if you pay fate to access it...) while Feducci had a wedding and the Contrarian didn't get any fate-locked story at all (we got a rubbery one instead), I assume that a lot of people who have been around since that first election would side with Jenny no matter who they voted for the first time. Really I see a mayoral rematch as going one way, straight to Jenny.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Vryl
+3 link
Salvage Tum
Salvage Tum

7/30/2019
We could use a clayman presence at some point. I’ve seen Jasper and Frank suggested as potential candidates. Perhaps even the Pirate-Poet?

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Salvage%20Tum

Open to anything save SMEN stuff. Won’t make that mistake twice...
+3 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

7/29/2019
I continue to advocate for the Ambitious Barrister.

I think Mr Huffam is an inspired choice. Slightly more difficult, what with him being a real person and all, but he has a special insight into what's wrong with London and no doubt some particular ideas about what to do about them. Lots of opportunities for interesting writing.

I would like to see the Veteran Privy Counsellor run on a platform of returning dignity to the office, so I can vote against him thoroughly and with great vigor.

Oh, an Urchin candidate. Definitely need one of those. Probably Molly.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/PSGarak
+3 link
JamesSilver
JamesSilver

7/29/2019
Aardvark wrote:
Because a ruthless megalomaniac caring for people's souls isn't enough, let's invite a homicidally insane sociopath to follow up on that by bodily vivisectioning people left and right!

Otherwise, where would be fun in that?

JaneAnkhVeos wrote:
Too radical, perhaps ("there is no third way" sounded pretty ominous), but intriguing.

Viva la Revolu-...never mind.

JaneAnkhVeos wrote:
Q. Pheevr wrote:
Dr Schlomo

Gul al-Ahlaam wrote:
Doctor Carrywell

Ooh, I'd love to see some interaction between them. Especially if the latter is confirmed to be the one involved in some recent events.

With the Manager as the third candidate? Oh dear. Oh dear...

--
an exceptional weasel
+3 link
Vorwoda Hawksby
Vorwoda Hawksby

7/30/2019
Jack of Smiles, a Sorrow Spider-Council, and Mr. Eaten.

Or a Talkative Rattus Faber, the Wry Functionary, and the Bazaar.

Or the Topsy King, a clothes colony, and the Rubbery Entrepreneur. Imagine the debates!

Or the Vake, the Cantigaster, and the Eater of Chains.

Any of those combinations should spice things up.
edited by Vorwoda Hawksby on 7/30/2019

--
Ambition: Nemesis
My darling lady-love,
Lies cruelly slain above;
To track her unknown killer I've descended,
To London, in the Neath.
And though I pass Hell's teeth,
I'll see her slayer's foul existence ended!
+3 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

7/30/2019
What I want (apart from Schlomo, Huffam, Soft-Hearted Widow and HaL) is an election that won't be a foregone conclusion.
By now, we know that badasses (Sinning Jenny, Feducci, Virginia) dominate the election the moment they appear. Which is fine (the point of the election is not to win, but to play) but can take some of the wind out of the sails for those who do not support the badass du jour.

Not sure how you solve the problem, since you do want interesting people running. But if Sophia or Lydia run, and I would love to see them, the opposition must be equally brilliant.

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
+3 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

7/30/2019
Siankan wrote:
Jolanda Swan wrote:

By now, we know that badasses (Sinning Jenny, Feducci, Virginia) dominate the election the moment they appear.

The Princess didn't.

She wasn't a badass; she was just bad.

I remain hopeful for a Topsy King/Pirate Poet ticket; failing that, the Barbed Wit.

--
+3 link
Aardvark
Aardvark

7/29/2019
Gul al-Ahlaam wrote:
The obvious choice for Lord Mayor is the great Doctor Carrywell, chief researcher of Venderbight's Grand Sanatorium. She's brilliant, charismatic, cunning, ambitious, and absolutely chockablock with secrets. What London needs is someone willing and able to plumb its mysteries in the name of scientific curiosity and the public good, and Carrywell would be a perfect choice. Not to mention, she has some... political experience already.

Because a ruthless megalomaniac caring for people's souls isn't enough, let's invite a homicidally insane sociopath to follow up on that by bodily vivisectioning people left and right!

Having Dr. Schlomo candidate would be a great way to find out more about him, and considering the secrets he holds about his innumberable patients, he would actually make a lot of sense.

But in the end, yes, I actually do want a tiger lord mayor wink

--
Sir Reginald Monteroy, Correspondent
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Sir Reginald Monteroy

Will gladly come teach at your Orphanage, if you PM me in game.
+3 link
JaneAnkhVeos
JaneAnkhVeos

7/29/2019
Still clinging to:
The Manager of the Royal Beth. London is one big madhouse, so we need a man with some experience. And charisma. And I wonder what he may be up to as May.

I’ve been considering this ever since he was Contrarian’s initial campaign manager (before January). There was some serious hidden controversy going on, so he definitely has his own vision. Too radical, perhaps ("there is no third way" sounded pretty ominous), but intriguing. Even if it would be well-concealed behind a smile and a promise of affordable mental health care / defence of Clay Men rights / watching over each and every citizen (ahem).
+3 link
Q. Pheevr
Q. Pheevr

7/29/2019
Candidates I’d like to see (one of whom I might even support):

• Sophia, the monster-hunting academic
    • Dr Schlomo, the interpreter of dreams
    • the Pirate-Poet

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Q_Pheevr
  • +3 link
    Aardvark
    Aardvark

7/29/2019
    Azothi wrote:
    Jolanda Swan wrote:

I wholeheartedly support all of these. I'd love to see them as candidates.

To list a few more I'd suggest:

The Barbed Wit: Her invective would be unparalleled; her rhetoric a key threat in the Election. She also offers a chance to bring palace intrigue into the story, someone within high society but nevertheless appealing outside of it.

The Manager of the Royal Bethlehem: A candidate linked to dreams - to revolution - to the past. The lore opportunities are boundless.

The Dark-Spectacled Admiral: He may not be a common face in Fallen London, but with the focus on the Skies, a call-back to the zee would be an interesting topic.

I would very much appreciate all of the above. Specifically it would be hilariously amusing to see Mr Huffam try to impartially cover in his newspapers an election... in which he is simultaneously running for the office!

As for His Amused Lordship - whom I'd support without any hesitation against anyone else - hopefully some continuation of the Dilmun Club's expedition might be in the books regardless of mayoral candidacy? (And considering he was openly supporting Mrs. Plenty this year, I wouldn't expect him to run for the office himself quite so early ).

Finally, to suggest some other interesting possibilities:

- the Duchess and/or the Gracious Widow, as both are widely known and interesting characters, and come with both rich historical/cultural background and long-term plans they pursue
    - the Tiger Keeper, as another interesting agent of a foreign power to broaden the set, not to mention the tigers' penchant for incendiary mysteries
    - and how about the Bishop of st. Fiacre? Considering his ties to many of the Neath's deeper secrets, and the quite sincerely good-guy persona he's always demonstrated, he might appeal to a lot of the more well-meaning voters
    edited by Aardvark on 7/29/2019

--
    Sir Reginald Monteroy, Correspondent
    http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Sir Reginald Monteroy

Will gladly come teach at your Orphanage, if you PM me in game.
    +3 link
    Catherine Raymond
    Catherine Raymond

7/29/2019
    I would like to see His Amused Lordship run. Or the Bishop of St. Fiacre. The Bishop has dangerous overtones that FBG likes to see in one of the candidates in every race.

--
    Cathy Raymond
    http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/cathyr19355

Catherine Raymond aka Mrs. Rykar Malkus http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Catherine%20Raymond (Gone NORTH)
    +3 link
    Skinnyman
    Skinnyman

7/29/2019
    Sadly, I found all candidates a bit unappealing and none of them offered me a real desire to vote with them. Thought I will pick Mrs Plenty, her campaign wasn't impressive at all, but ended up supporting her because of the Rubbery lumps. No other incentive!

But speaking of Rubbery lumps, I just want to case my desire for a Rubbery man as a candidate! No one will understand what it will say, but most of us will agree! Big Grin

EDIT: I want to mention that I was very busy in the past few weeks. Maybe the lack of time to debate, read theories or any lore about our candidates was the reason none of them convinced me enough.
    edited by Skinnyman on 7/29/2019

--
    I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
    No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
    Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
    +2 link
    Sir Wensleydale of Hardwick
    Sir Wensleydale of Hardwick

7/29/2019
    How about the former governor of Port Carnelian? This person has experience.

"You call failure experience?"
    "I call experience experience."

By "former governor of Port Carnelian", I am referring to whomever had office before you arrived initially.

--
    Sir Wensleydale of Hardwick- Riverside Regular, Newspaper Editor, Legendary Charisma.

Mr Netae- SEEKING MR EATEN'S NAME

Aaron Wimbleton- Private Detective. Some Medical Experience.

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Aaron%20Wimbleton
    +2 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

7/30/2019
    It is a very weird world in which the Bishop of Southwark is not conferred Badass status. Very weird.

Anyway, I'd like to again propose that our first three mayors all have a rematch together next year. First, all three would be equally balanced, each having gotten a pretty overwhelming showing. Second, they're very different so they'd each represent very different alternatives. Third, all three no doubt heavily dislike one another by this point, so there would be a nice amount of conflict. And finally, having them return to the scene would help create some larger narratives to tie the elections together, as each candidate would not just be promising things, but also defending their past performance in office (and rubbishing the others). This would allow some retroactive fleshing out.

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
    +2 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

7/30/2019
    Oh, he's plenty badass. He just got out-badassed that year.

--
    +2 link
    Calliope
    Calliope

7/29/2019
    JaneAnkhVeos wrote:

Storm is offended.

I feel like Storm is always offended. The clues in the name is it not?

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Calliope%20Rannis
    +2 link
    Vryl
    Vryl

7/29/2019
    After a year of Virginia's ministrations, there is one specific person I want to see as mayor.

Sister Lydia. She may not be strictly in the church's good graces, but she is entirely dependable. And almost certainly a spy.

Newer players will not know her. Older players will have had her as a companion for the past three years. I feel that she deserves to get a little more light shed on her, and that she would be uniquely suited for rehabilitating London after whatever it is Virginia does.

--
    +2 link
    MrCandles
    MrCandles

7/30/2019
    Rubbery is interesting, but why not Big Rat? If Rubbery, I want Nacreous Outlast. Two another - Dr Schlomo and Pirate Poet.
    +2 link
    Winthropx
    Winthropx

7/30/2019
    I want to see the Bishop of Southwick run again . After a year of being lorded over by a devil, I can’t imagine he’d just sit back. He’s fighter! He’d probably run on restoring, and cleansing, the office of Lord Mayor of it’s infernal influences. He’d also probably lead all sorts of investigations into Virginia’s spa and the state of London’s souls. He’d run or argue that Virginia didn’t help anyone and that the entire city needs to return to the church to be redeemed. Gotta have everyone repent after electing a devil into office.

--
    Bishop Winthrop, a kind-hearted soul
    A Paramount Presence
    I accept all social actions
    His Appearance
    http://community.failbettergames.com/topic9363-your-characters-appearances.aspx?messageid=229809&Page=10#post#post229809
    +2 link
    JaneAnkhVeos
    JaneAnkhVeos

7/30/2019
    Diptych wrote:
    I'd be happy not to see any returning candidates. The Contrarian ran twice because that's his defining characteristic - he'll argue both sides of the same topic.

I totally agree.

MrCandles wrote:
    Princess is deviless, so need London devil after devil?

She’s much, much worse than a devil. (Which is, paradoxically, better. Only not for London.)
    +2 link
    Greg M
    Greg M

8/1/2019
    But wait. Who is Salt?

smile

Hattington wrote:
    The office of mayor demands many things. Respectability, composure and a certain focused fierceness in every good leader. We need candidates who can be trusted to be the progress we deserve without changing anything we don't need, candidates who can broaden our horizens and candidates who already have tremendous experience in statesmanship.

I am of course suggesting, in complete sincerity, that the Dawn Machine, Stone and Salt run for the office of mayor next year.

--
    Profile: GregM.
    http://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/GregM

Available for any non-harmful social interactions.
    +2 link
    Greg M
    Greg M

8/1/2019
    Lettice the Mercy should run. "Bastards I said bastards!" She'd clean this city up right quick.

--
    Profile: GregM.
    http://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/GregM

Available for any non-harmful social interactions.
    +2 link
    Dudebro Pyro
    Dudebro Pyro

8/2/2019
    Tystefy wrote:
    I said it last year, I'll say it again: a Master with a fake mustache.

While perhaps meant as a joke, if taken seriously this is actually a very interesting proposal. On the face of it, there's absolutely no reason whatsoever for a Master to wish to be mayor. So what could possibly serve as motivation for running?
    A couple of imperfect ideas come to mind:
    - To interfere with elections if there's a candidate they really, really don't want elected - without openly disrupting the whole process, which they have authority to do but might wish to avoid for PR reasons. But it's hard to imagine the mayor's office having the potential to have enough impact to actually worry anyone, let alone the Masters.
    - In rebellion to the other Masters. I could imagine, say, Fires going totally incognito on a platform of stability and status quo, and then catching the other Master's off-guard by being able to actually enact his mayoral plans, unlike nearly every other candidate so far. But it's hard to imagine a Master being able to disguise themselves from the other Masters so well, especially since there's only a few of them and one going missing is not going to go unnoticed.
    - As an attempt to influence the public from a different direction, by going incognito to the public but known to his fellows. "How do you do, fellow Londoners!" style. This might be the most plausible scenario. But it's hard to imagine what they could possibly want to achieve this way - they don't seem particularly inclined on deep propaganda in general, other than boring stuff like censorship, and it's even harder to imagine why they might pick this course of action rather than just, say, bribing or coercing some influential figures to spread their ideas.

So, if FB manages to pull it off, having a Master run could actually be very, very interesting.
    edited by Dudebro Pyro on 8/2/2019

--
    Dudebro Pyro, eccentric scholar

Spare Starveling Kitties always welcome. I collect them.
    For that matter, send me your unwanted cat boxes too.
    +2 link
    Thomas K. Slaughter
    Thomas K. Slaughter

8/8/2019
    It would be fun to see the Topsy King run and perhaps even win. I can only imagine how absurd his public speeches and government would be like, all the more fun for Londoners!

As for the other two candidates, I'd love to see the Bishop of Southwark have another go, perhaps this time he'll secure a victory.
    The third candidate, would probably be an intellectual person. But I can't imagine someone like Dr. Schlomo or Dr. Orthos garnering up a lot of votes; maybe someone from the University, of Benthic college, inspired by Virginia's victory in the elections.
    edited by Thomas K. Slaughter on 8/8/2019

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Coppero324

Please don't mind the dreadful username, it was completely unintentional.
    +2 link
    Catherine Raymond
    Catherine Raymond

7/31/2019
    Siankan wrote:
    Diptych wrote:
    Could we... don't say no right away... could we... dress the Bazaar in the sentient pile of clothes?

I think that depends on whether or not you can find a pile that big. At that point we probably need a new term; clothes-colony seems too demure.

Clothes-metropolis might work, perhaps.

--
    Cathy Raymond

Catherine Raymond aka Mrs. Rykar Malkus http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Catherine%20Raymond (Gone NORTH)
    +2 link
    Jolanda Swan
    Jolanda Swan

8/1/2019
    I am going to be the spoilsport, set fire to the clothes metropolis before it applies for mayorship and ask for a morally good candidate with any hope of winning. Jenny fit the bill. After her, all the glorious badasses who tend to dominate the election -Feducci, Vriginia and the Princess, had she been the Princess we knew- were monstrous and not even English for God's sake! It would be lovely if us bleeding hearts magnanimous15 types had a winning choice again.
    For example a Sinning Jenny vs Virginia election would be more interesting than Virginia vs Plenty vs Shoshana. Not advocating for them to rerun - just illustrating my point.
    edited by Jolanda Swan on 8/1/2019

--
    +2 link
    Vorwoda Hawksby
    Vorwoda Hawksby

8/1/2019
    A morally good candidate with any hope of winning? Hmm. A race consisting of:

A Cheerful Goldfish, a Salt Weasel and the Warm-Hearted Widow (or a Complaisant Frost-Moth) would fill the bill. smile
    edited by Vorwoda Hawksby on 8/1/2019

--
    Ambition: Nemesis
    My darling lady-love,
    Lies cruelly slain above;
    To track her unknown killer I've descended,
    To London, in the Neath.
    And though I pass Hell's teeth,
    I'll see her slayer's foul existence ended!
    +1 link
    Catherine Raymond
    Catherine Raymond

8/9/2019
    MrCandles wrote:
    I know new three candidates: Merry Gentelman, Dr Schlomo and Bishop of Southwark.

Actually, the Bishop of Southwark ran before--in the very first Mayoral campaign, I believe. My character supported him. He didn't do very well.

But the Merry Gentleman and Dr. Schlomo have not run, and both could be interesting, in different ways.

--
    Cathy Raymond

+1 link
    Jolanda Swan
    Jolanda Swan

8/9/2019
    I am pretty sure the Merry Gentleman is too out of this world to run. Then again, I would love the art and the extra bits about the Bethlehem.
    Dr Schlomo is a strong candidate in my opinion, especially if FL has temporarily shifted to a dream-related narrative as seems to be the case.

--
    +1 link
    Jolanda Swan
    Jolanda Swan

8/9/2019
    So, to narrow down the suggestions that appeared in this thread into a list of actual, probable candidates:

-Dr Schlomo
    -The Pirate Poet
    -The Soft-Hearted Widow
    -Mr Huffam
    -F. Gerbrandt
    -The Bishop of St Fiacre
    -The Rubbery Enterpreneur
    -The Gracious Widow
    -The Duchess
    -His Amused Lordship
    -The Barbed Wit
    -The Dark-Spectacled Admiral
    -Sophia, the Monster Hunting Academic
    -Lydia
    -The Topsy King (commisserations to his speech-writers)

I imagine even the lesser known ones can be given a bit to flesh them out within the year i.e. Sophia could get a storylet in our much-neglected university.
    edited by Jolanda Swan on 8/10/2019

--
    +1 link
    JamesSilver
    JamesSilver

8/9/2019
    Jolanda Swan wrote:
    I am pretty sure the Merry Gentleman is too out of this world to run. Then again, I would love the art and the extra bits about the Bethlehem.

However, he is connected to a (mostly) political faction and has his share of experience with power and, well, management.
    And yes, some art would be great. /stares at wife/

--
    an exceptional weasel
    +1 link
    Jolanda Swan
    Jolanda Swan

8/9/2019
    JaneAnkhVeos wrote:
    The Pirate Poet, Graceful Widow and Topsy King are all undeniably splendid, but would a criminal want such publicity? Or would the constabulary tolerate a criminal as a mayor, for that matter...

Probably not. There are pros and cons to every character mentioned in the list, but I am sure FB can come up with a proper reason even for a criminal to decide to wear a civil mask and run for mayor.
    Well, maybe except the Topsy King. If they settle on him, even the campaign slogan would be a hec of a challenge, I am sure.

--
    +1 link
    Senforza
    Senforza

8/9/2019
    thefantodayhtml wrote:
    JamesSilver wrote:

I'm afraid I don't quite follow.

[spoiler]
    The Gracious Widow is from the fourth city. The Duchess is from the second. The Manager is from the first. If I recall correctly, all three were also the ones who made the deals that caused their respective cities to fall.
    [/spoiler]

--
    Professor F. L. Senforza, The Bloodied Philonoist: an Extraordinary Mind and the Director of Benthic's Department of the Correspondence.

Andrew Barnes, The Genial Gunslinger: "If you're not getting shot at at least once a week, what the hell are you doin' with your life?"
    +1 link
    Siankan
    Siankan

8/9/2019
    thefantodayhtml wrote:
    The Manager is from the fourth city.

Incorrect.

--
    +1 link
    thefantodayhtml
    thefantodayhtml

8/9/2019
    Siankan wrote:
    thefantodayhtml wrote:
    The Manager is from the fourth city.

Incorrect.

The offending post was caused by what I believe was a word prediction algorithm gone horribly, horribly, awry. I hereby disavow any and all of its contents. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to need a really, really, good tech guy to sort that out. Or an exorcist.

• edited by thefantodayhtml on 8/9/2019

• edited by thefantodayhtml on 8/9/2019
  • +1 link
    Senforza
    Senforza

8/9/2019
    Calliope wrote:
    -snip-

[spoiler]I'm rusty on my lore, but I think (think) that the God Eaters, which basically amounts to a set of priest-kings from the Third City, traded their city for immortality. They got that immortality by eating the flesh of a 'god', AKA Mr Eaten, AKA a Master of the Bazaar the other Masters betrayed for being too attached to the second city. In a manner of speaking, I guess; there were wells somewhere in the whole eating/dying process, probably. wink[/spoiler]

As for the reason your spoiler tags aren't working, it's because the part of the message where you quoted me also had a spoiler tag and for some reason there's a limit of one spoiler tag per post.

--
    Professor F. L. Senforza, The Bloodied Philonoist: an Extraordinary Mind and the Director of Benthic's Department of the Correspondence.

Andrew Barnes, The Genial Gunslinger: "If you're not getting shot at at least once a week, what the hell are you doin' with your life?"
    +1 link
    Vryl
    Vryl

8/11/2019
    JaneAnkhVeos wrote:
    MrCandles wrote:
    Siankan wrote:
    Been there, done that, gambled away the T-shirt and then burned it to ashes.

What you mean?

Feducci already ran (and won).

And blew the mayoral residence up at the end of his term, hence the 'burned it to ashes' part.

--
    +1 link
    Dehno
    Dehno

26 days ago
    I’m surprised that in this entire thread no one has mentioned Lyme! He’s a Clay Man sure, but he’s learned his letters, he knows how to use a spoon, and he has begun to ask dangerous questions about the power structure in the Bazaar and London, and may have some desire to rock the boat without capsizing it like the revolutionaries want to.

Really, he just checks all the Mayoral requirements for me. I bet Virginia doesn’t even use a spoon.
    +1 link
    Jolanda Swan
    Jolanda Swan

25 days ago
    Nameless Jane wrote:
    Merry Gentelman, Dr Schlomo and Lyme. After three female canditates - three male candidates.

I am seriously getting Mr Candles Déjà vu.

--
    +1 link
    Salvage Tum
    Salvage Tum

8/2/2019
    I fully support the Mercies idea, that would be well cool! Another candidate that has little to no presence in fallen london, I feel, would be F.F. Gebrandt. With how common her tonics are, it’s strange how little we know of her.

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Salvage%20Tum

Open to anything save SMEN stuff. Won’t make that mistake twice...
    +1 link
    Siankan
    Siankan

8/2/2019
    I am surprised that Gebrandt hasn't shown up in the conversation more over the years.

--
    +1 link
    Catherine Raymond
    Catherine Raymond

7/30/2019
    Diptych wrote:

I agree with Diptych, on both counts. Anyway, we have seen all we are likely to see of our prior Mayors in an election context. I'd rather see new candidates.

--
    Cathy Raymond

+1 link
    Dudebro Pyro
    Dudebro Pyro

7/31/2019
    Siankan wrote:
    London does have a limited pool of proper nouns, and an even smaller pool of mayor-quality proper nouns. If we never repeat, we'll run out of them fairly quickly, and then be on all repeats, all the time.

You only need three per year. Assuming FL lasts for another decade, you only need 30 more unique candidates. I am fairly certain there's been easily more good suggestions than that in just these threads; and keep in mind that FBG is entirely free to take "not mayor-quality" NPCs and add whatever's needed to make them mayor-quality. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we knew relatively little of, say, the Contrarian before the first run, outside of his appearence at Polite Invitation parties (though I haven't played many of the older revolutionary-themed ESes so I may be missing information).

Anne Auclair wrote:

See, he's generally "good". Wrestling and shouting is in no way scandalous. He's loud, but his goals are all "goody-two-shoes": be pious, follow proper church doctrine and avoid heretical deviations, oppose literal Hell and its inhabitants in every way. His confessions provide some vague backstory, but that's a tiny part of his character that's barely ever touched upon, and anyway it's more sad than scandalous.
    Jenny might be a nun, but a prostitute nun is a lot more scandalous and taboo, triple so if it's a warrior nun at the same time, so of course everyone got really excited. She also doesn't seem to have any fundamental problems with devils. She's "good" in the sense of wanting to help the poor, but this really was less of a character trait, or at least not presented as such: twist Feducci's campaign promises a bit and you could have had him be almost similarly "good" while keeping everything else about him and his character the same.

So I think candidates have to be both bad (or at least, scandalous) and badass. The Contrarian turned out to be a fluke because neither of his opponents were badass, they were both just bad. One can argue that he himself could be argued to be badass in his own way (plenty of people will admire a person who can debate someone into apoplectic shock, even if it's not the same kind of badass) and he also had vague sinister revolutionary plans to draw in the "vote for the evil and cool guy" crowd. However, I think the opponents contributed to his victory just as much - the Princess was petulant and had no clear goal or platform (vague artistic/bohemian aspirations just don't cut it - she came off as just wanting a new way to entertain herself more than anything concrete), and Slowcake was a nondescript, bumbling figure with zero charisma (which is entirely in-character, but that doesn't help with getting elected). The Contrarian was the only candidate who had charisma and seemed like he actually cared about governing the city, in his own way.

--
    Dudebro Pyro, eccentric scholar

Spare Starveling Kitties always welcome. I collect them.
    For that matter, send me your unwanted cat boxes too.
    +1 link
    Siankan
    Siankan

7/31/2019
    Diptych wrote:

I think that depends on whether or not you can find a pile that big. At that point we probably need a new term; clothes-colony seems too demure.

--
    +1 link
    Siankan
    Siankan

7/30/2019
    phryne wrote:
    I still find the idea of three slightly disillusioned but implacable and dauntless :P former candidates running against each other one more time quite appealing, specifically:
    • The Bishop of Southwark (after a year of Virginia, what else can he do?),
    • The Captivating Princess (I bet she's still smarting over her defeat) and
    • either The Implacable Detective or The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner.
    You know, I like this--but I think the Princess would win, for all the reasons I mentioned above. Now, perhaps if we had Southwark, the Detective, and the DTC all in one go... Not sure I'd want to do have two repeats from the same year, though. Maybe replace the Princess with Mrs. Plenty?

--
    +1 link
    phryne
    phryne

7/29/2019
    I still find the idea of three slightly disillusioned but implacable and dauntless :P former candidates running against each other one more time quite appealing, specifically:
    • The Bishop of Southwark (after a year of Virginia, what else can he do?),
    • The Captivating Princess (I bet she's still smarting over her defeat) and
    • either The Implacable Detective or The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner.
    I imagine the Captivatingly Sulking Princess not bothering with an actual platform this time (she hardly had one the first time round), simply resorting to open threats ("If you don't vote for me this time, I'm going to...")
    Of course, that leaves the question of just what she might do to London if she were refused a second time...
    edited by phryne on 7/29/2019

--
    Exceptional Stories, sorted by Season and by writerFavours & Renown Guide
    Go play StoryNexus games - while you still can!
    +1 link
    JaneAnkhVeos
    JaneAnkhVeos

7/29/2019
    JamesSilver wrote:
    JaneAnkhVeos wrote:
    Q. Pheevr wrote:
    Dr Schlomo

Gul al-Ahlaam wrote:
    Doctor Carrywell

Ooh, I'd love to see some interaction between them. Especially if the latter is confirmed to be the one involved in some recent events.

With the Manager as the third candidate? Oh dear. Oh dear...

Not necessarily within the context of the Election, I mean.
    (But YES.)

JamesSilver wrote:
    Viva la Revolu-...never mind.

Actually, if it involves some good old Liberation, all the better wink
    +1 link
    JaneAnkhVeos
    JaneAnkhVeos

7/29/2019
    Q. Pheevr wrote:
    Dr Schlomo

Gul al-Ahlaam wrote:
    Doctor Carrywell

Hattington wrote:

Storm is offended.
    +1 link
    Siankan
    Siankan

7/30/2019
    Diptych wrote:

Yes, and no. London does have a limited pool of proper nouns, and an even smaller pool of mayor-quality proper nouns. If we never repeat, we'll run out of them fairly quickly, and then be on all repeats, all the time.

--
    +1 link
    Kestrel Zestvim
    Kestrel Zestvim

7/30/2019
    The Pre-emptive Guinea Pig.

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Kestrel Zestvim
    +1 link
    Winthropx
    Winthropx

7/30/2019
    Another candidate I’d want to see again is The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner. Since Virginia's flash lay revivals she had the backing of members of DTC’s movement, I’d want the original to comeback. She could campaign on finishing/continuing Virginia’s work if the Spa is successful. Or, she could work to re-legitimize the movement. Maybe this time she could more explicitly focus on campaign for the rights of clay and rubbery men. If she ran more for their rights, I think she’d do much better. I can’t remember if another mayoral candidate campaigned explicitly for those groups rights before. DTC would be perfect for it since she had it in the background of her campaign.

--
    Bishop Winthrop, a kind-hearted soul
    A Paramount Presence
    I accept all social actions
    His Appearance
    http://community.failbettergames.com/topic9363-your-characters-appearances.aspx?messageid=229809&Page=10#post#post229809
    +1 link
    Azothi
    Azothi

7/29/2019
    Catherine Raymond wrote:
    That's very true. I still don't know why Virginia bothered to run if her motivations and intentions were what Azothi theorized that they were.
    I could very well be wrong! At the very least, Shoshana's concession did essentially confirm the (I must note, much more concretely supported) theory that her backup plan was escaping into Parabola; we'll hopefully be seeing more of Virginia as her term progresses.

--
    Azoth I, the Amaranthine Wanderer - Midnighter - A Paramount Presence (not currently accepting new Proteges)
    Away to where the Chain cannot bind us.
    Hesperidean.
    +1 link