Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

August Exceptional Story: The Shallows Messages in this topic - RSS

Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan
Posts: 1536

7/29/2019
I doubt they will force it. This is, after all, a game about choices. Still, losing an ES is probably frustrating. Perhaps they didn't realise that so many people made not dying a part of their RP?
And maybe it can be fixed by that death NOT going into your record? Not dying per se but rather finding your way to the Boatman?

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
0 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair
Posts: 2215

7/30/2019
I'm fine with missing out if it means other people have a really cool and very dark story.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
0 link
Lady Karnstein
Lady Karnstein
Posts: 235

7/30/2019
Caroline still only "dies" by going through the mirror. She will go to near any lengths not to otherwise, though IC she is unsure she would return in her condition.

--
Lady Caroline Karnstein, The Moral Hedonist (Description)
Infamous writer, artist, and courtesan. Unrepentant Invert.
Paramount Presence, Correspondent, Nocturnal. Poet Laureate of the Neath, Ambassador to Arbor
0 link
Ixc
Ixc
Posts: 299

7/30/2019
[spoiler]

As far as I can tell, dying is not actually recorded with a quality. However, I agree that we could have done the story without actually dying, like in one of the Season Epilogues. I thought by the story’s title we wouldn’t be exploring the River proper, but ‘the shallows’ or some part that is closer to our world.

It was fun to smack people into the river with a paddle, though.

[/spoiler]

--
Pleased to meet you. Ixc, spy and detective. Inventor of the Correspondence Cannon.
Are you a Paramount Presence? Record your name here. For posterity, of course.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
+1 link
MidnightVoyager
MidnightVoyager
Posts: 822

7/30/2019
Jolanda Swan wrote:
I doubt they will force it. This is, after all, a game about choices. Still, losing an ES is probably frustrating. Perhaps they didn't realise that so many people made not dying a part of their RP?
And maybe it can be fixed by that death NOT going into your record? Not dying per se but rather finding your way to the Boatman?

There is no record of death. Dying doesn't change anything in the game.

--
Midnight Voyager - A blood-cousin to predators. Collector of beasts. Affably mad.
+3 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair
Posts: 2215

7/30/2019
MidnightVoyager wrote:
Jolanda Swan wrote:
I doubt they will force it. This is, after all, a game about choices. Still, losing an ES is probably frustrating. Perhaps they didn't realise that so many people made not dying a part of their RP?
And maybe it can be fixed by that death NOT going into your record? Not dying per se but rather finding your way to the Boatman?

There is no record of death. Dying doesn't change anything in the game.

The story itself is a record of dying.


EDIT: And there's the Boatman of course. Your meetings with him are definitely tracked.
.
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/30/2019

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
+1 link
elderfleur
elderfleur
Posts: 66

7/30/2019
Very pleased (as ever) with the Airs snippets, which definitely help set the mood, especially [spoiler] the "Thin Airs" during the Chess Match. [/spoiler]



Special mention to this piece of work:



--
—Elderfleur
+6 link
Cadwyn Knivlove
Cadwyn Knivlove
Posts: 37

7/31/2019
Speculation on the reveal below.

[spoiler] So, as of now, it seems we have an answer to a few questions! Namely, "are Mr Cups and Mr Mirrors really the same person?" and "if so, why is there an extra crime on "A secret about the Masters?".

The implication seems to be that Mr Cups and Mr Mirrors were separate entities until recently, when Mr Mirrors vanished and Mr Cups took up its mantle. This makes sense as to why Mr Mirrors is so removed from the game, and adds some cool complications to a certain Ambition.

I don't think Mr Mirrors is actually destroyed, since we know just how hard it is to kill a Master in the Neath. We haven't gotten another You-Know-Who situation, but who knows, Parabola has different rules and maybe being killed there just destroys you? I seem to recall Mr Candles' connection to dreams being something that helped what remain... remain. Anyways, it seems more likely to me that it's just banished from London/locked in Parabola.

Also, now that Mr Apples/Mr Hearts/The-Wings-Of-Thunder-Bat/The Chiropterous Hoarder is the only Master actually using alter egos, like, from the beginning (unless there's another secret Master, of course), "impersonation, and the delivering of false testimony" is starting to look like its crime. As for Mr Cups... "glass-whispering. And worse: charity"? It does seem to have a running theme of charity, and the first part implies some interesting stuff about the whole situation we now know about. I have no idea what Mr Mirror's is... "idleness, and the dwelling-on of dreams" works, but then again, it could be about Mr Spices? Hmmmmmmm.
[/spoiler]
edited by cadwynknivlove on 8/1/2019
+1 link
MidnightVoyager
MidnightVoyager
Posts: 822

7/31/2019
Anne Auclair wrote:
MidnightVoyager wrote:
Jolanda Swan wrote:
I doubt they will force it. This is, after all, a game about choices. Still, losing an ES is probably frustrating. Perhaps they didn't realise that so many people made not dying a part of their RP?
And maybe it can be fixed by that death NOT going into your record? Not dying per se but rather finding your way to the Boatman?

There is no record of death. Dying doesn't change anything in the game.

The story itself is a record of dying.


EDIT: And there's the Boatman of course. Your meetings with him are definitely tracked.
.
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/30/2019


You're being really obtuse here. I was merely saying that the game does not specifically record death at all in any way like a criminal record. It may even just assume you have died if it ever needs to be referred to. There is no Death Counter.

Also you can easily die without any reference to meeting the Boatman. The only quality I have related to him is all the chess I played with him. It doesn't track anything but chess.
edited by MidnightVoyager on 7/31/2019

--
Midnight Voyager - A blood-cousin to predators. Collector of beasts. Affably mad.
+1 link
Azothi
Azothi
Posts: 527

7/31/2019
Cadwyn Knivlove wrote:
Speculation on the reveal below.
My reply is entirely under the spoiler.

[spoiler]Cadwyn Knivlove wrote:
I don't think Mr Mirrors is actually destroyed, since we know just how hard it is to kill a Master in the Neath. We haven't gotten another You-Know-Who situation, but who knows, Parabola has different rules and maybe being killed there just destroys you? I seem to recall Mr Cup's connection to dreams being something that helped what remain... remain. Anyways, it seems more likely to me that it's just banished from London/locked in Parabola.
For what it's worth, the weapon designed to kill the Vake can only be used in Parabola, where reality is a little less restrictive. As a note, though, the Jolly Anchorite in Sunless Skies also offers evidence for both Mirrors being truly dead and Mirrors being trapped in Parabola.

The Jolly Anchorite wrote:
The Saint of Tapers and the Saint in the Glass. We never speak their names. One we have hope of seeking, the other is gone.
Wherever Mirrors has gone, it's apparently a place that humans cannot follow. Given that we have a decent track record for exploring Parabola, if Mirrors is trapped there, it'd have to have more layers of defense to keep us out (a labyrinth of nightmares, perhaps) - but that might as well be death for all it's worth. And, of course, Mirrors is named the Saint in the Glass: in Parabola, perhaps.
[/spoiler]

--
Azoth I, the Amaranthine Wanderer - Midnighter - A Paramount Presence (not currently accepting new Proteges)
Away to where the Chain cannot bind us.
Hesperidean.
+2 link
Lady Karnstein
Lady Karnstein
Posts: 235

7/31/2019
Wow that was...dark. A good, well written story, but pretty dark. I'm impressed though.

Caroline does not want to give up what she got at the end though, extra story bit or not.

--
Lady Caroline Karnstein, The Moral Hedonist (Description)
Infamous writer, artist, and courtesan. Unrepentant Invert.
Paramount Presence, Correspondent, Nocturnal. Poet Laureate of the Neath, Ambassador to Arbor
+2 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman
Posts: 1908

7/31/2019
Azothi wrote:
Cadwyn Knivlove wrote:
Speculation on the reveal below.
My reply is entirely under the spoiler.
I remember reading on reddit few days ago

[spoiler]that any Master can be killed and the fuss about Mr. is only because the way it happened[/spoiler]
It was a user quoting someone from FBG. Hope I remember correctly!

--
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
ESs items and quality requirements sheet
Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
+2 link
Pnakotic
Pnakotic
Posts: 247

7/31/2019
The Curious Watcher wrote:
If anyone is Closest to the Revolutionaries, can they please show the echoes associated with those options?

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/J.%20Ward%20Dunn/16555134
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/J.%20Ward%20Dunn/16559328

--
J. Ward Dunn, Glassman

Book of All Hours 9:99: Journey's end in lover's meeting. Progress is ascendancy.
+2 link
Severinus
Severinus
Posts: 15

7/31/2019
I just became an exceptional friend and just wanted to pop in to say that i'm excited for my first of these free stories .
Have not read the rest of the thread and just wanted to express my joy at the moment.
I hope to gain as much joy from these as the rest of you gain smile

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Severinus
+4 link
The Curious Watcher
The Curious Watcher
Posts: 132

7/31/2019
I hoped that more information about the controller would be revealed in the "Closest" options, but thank you regardless.

--
Den Blackwell, Paramount
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Den%20Blackwell
The Silent Vake Hunter: GONE NORTH
The Ravenous Wanderer:
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/The%20Ravenous%20Wanderer
The Melancholic End-Bringer:
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/The%20Melancholic%20End-Bringer
The Lethal Nightmare:
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/The%20Lethal%20Nightmare
0 link
theonie
theonie
Posts: 62

8/1/2019
MidnightVoyager wrote:
Jolanda Swan wrote:
The two possible items you get from chess will be surrendered at the season epilogue, correct?



I really don't know why they'd do that? I mean, if they wanted nobody to do the season epilogue, sure, they'd have the useful items surrendered in the epilogue.


But didn't that just happen with last season's epilogue? One of the items was useful, as I recall, and I'd rather have kept it, except the Toymaker epilogue story was so adorable.

--
theonie, an inescapable, midnight, terrifying, and irresistible lady. All social actions except Affluent Photographer welcome. As a Midnighter, will gladly accept all invitations to Orphanages.
+1 link
MidnightVoyager
MidnightVoyager
Posts: 822

8/1/2019
theonie wrote:
MidnightVoyager wrote:
Jolanda Swan wrote:
The two possible items you get from chess will be surrendered at the season epilogue, correct?



I really don't know why they'd do that? I mean, if they wanted nobody to do the season epilogue, sure, they'd have the useful items surrendered in the epilogue.


But didn't that just happen with last season's epilogue? One of the items was useful, as I recall, and I'd rather have kept it, except the Toymaker epilogue story was so adorable.

To be perfectly honest, I don't even remember what the items were. One of the items may have been usable, but it wasn't notably useful. I've already heard people planning on doing this story twice just so they can get both items. IIRC one of them is even best in slot, though tied with another fate-locked thing. It would be a dick move for them to make you need to turn it in.

--
Midnight Voyager - A blood-cousin to predators. Collector of beasts. Affably mad.
0 link
theonie
theonie
Posts: 62

8/1/2019
MidnightVoyager wrote:
theonie wrote:
MidnightVoyager wrote:
Jolanda Swan wrote:
The two possible items you get from chess will be surrendered at the season epilogue, correct?



I really don't know why they'd do that? I mean, if they wanted nobody to do the season epilogue, sure, they'd have the useful items surrendered in the epilogue.


But didn't that just happen with last season's epilogue? One of the items was useful, as I recall, and I'd rather have kept it, except the Toymaker epilogue story was so adorable.

To be perfectly honest, I don't even remember what the items were. One of the items may have been usable, but it wasn't notably useful. I've already heard people planning on doing this story twice just so they can get both items. IIRC one of them is even best in slot, though tied with another fate-locked thing. It would be a dick move for them to make you need to turn it in.


Sure, but the special items are always turned in at the epilogue, is my point, e.g. the moth coat from one of the past ESs -- I didn't want to keep it particularly but it was an outfit -- there have been a couple of weapons IIRC? (my memory is so bad, I can't swear to what they were). OTOH if you do the story twice, what happens? or if you repeat it again *after* the epilogue?

--
theonie, an inescapable, midnight, terrifying, and irresistible lady. All social actions except Affluent Photographer welcome. As a Midnighter, will gladly accept all invitations to Orphanages.
0 link
MidnightVoyager
MidnightVoyager
Posts: 822

8/1/2019
theonie wrote:
MidnightVoyager wrote:
theonie wrote:
MidnightVoyager wrote:
Jolanda Swan wrote:
The two possible items you get from chess will be surrendered at the season epilogue, correct?



I really don't know why they'd do that? I mean, if they wanted nobody to do the season epilogue, sure, they'd have the useful items surrendered in the epilogue.


But didn't that just happen with last season's epilogue? One of the items was useful, as I recall, and I'd rather have kept it, except the Toymaker epilogue story was so adorable.

To be perfectly honest, I don't even remember what the items were. One of the items may have been usable, but it wasn't notably useful. I've already heard people planning on doing this story twice just so they can get both items. IIRC one of them is even best in slot, though tied with another fate-locked thing. It would be a dick move for them to make you need to turn it in.


Sure, but the special items are always turned in at the epilogue, is my point, e.g. the moth coat from one of the past ESs -- I didn't want to keep it particularly but it was an outfit -- there have been a couple of weapons IIRC? (my memory is so bad, I can't swear to what they were). OTOH if you do the story twice, what happens? or if you repeat it again *after* the epilogue?

But they aren't always turned in. Some ES give you items that you do not turn in. Two of them have companions.
edited by MidnightVoyager on 8/1/2019

--
Midnight Voyager - A blood-cousin to predators. Collector of beasts. Affably mad.
0 link
theonie
theonie
Posts: 62

8/1/2019
MidnightVoyager wrote:
theonie wrote:
MidnightVoyager wrote:
theonie wrote:
MidnightVoyager wrote:
Jolanda Swan wrote:
The two possible items you get from chess will be surrendered at the season epilogue, correct?



I really don't know why they'd do that? I mean, if they wanted nobody to do the season epilogue, sure, they'd have the useful items surrendered in the epilogue.


But didn't that just happen with last season's epilogue? One of the items was useful, as I recall, and I'd rather have kept it, except the Toymaker epilogue story was so adorable.

To be perfectly honest, I don't even remember what the items were. One of the items may have been usable, but it wasn't notably useful. I've already heard people planning on doing this story twice just so they can get both items. IIRC one of them is even best in slot, though tied with another fate-locked thing. It would be a dick move for them to make you need to turn it in.


Sure, but the special items are always turned in at the epilogue, is my point, e.g. the moth coat from one of the past ESs -- I didn't want to keep it particularly but it was an outfit -- there have been a couple of weapons IIRC? (my memory is so bad, I can't swear to what they were). OTOH if you do the story twice, what happens? or if you repeat it again *after* the epilogue?

But they aren't always turned in. Some ES give you items that you do not turn in. Two of them have companions.
edited by MidnightVoyager on 8/1/2019


You're right, how could I completely forget my darling little wings-of-thunder batling! :-) Well, let's hope the hat and lantern in this ES fall under the same rules.

--
theonie, an inescapable, midnight, terrifying, and irresistible lady. All social actions except Affluent Photographer welcome. As a Midnighter, will gladly accept all invitations to Orphanages.
0 link




Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.0.2.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software