Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

The Season of Hobbies' End Messages in this topic - RSS

James StAnthony
James StAnthony
Administrator

7/2/2019
Assist the Unsettling Toymaker produce a toy worthy of his art. You'll need to decide on the materials, as well as less conventional accoutrements. Can you keep the Toymaker's nerves in check? And will this debut be his last?

If you have played all three stories in the Season of Hobbies, you are now eligible for a concluding story. Look for The Season of Hobbies: An Article, available throughout London!

The three stories in question will be imminently available to be purchased or reset from the Fate page. They are:
  • Daylight
  • The Price of Loss
  • Cricket, Anyone?

edited by James StAnthony on 7/2/2019
+4 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

7/2/2019
Agh, I regret not choosing maximum oddness. I went for maximum garishness, (see profile for conclusion and epilogue) misinterpreting the unique angle, but still - it made sense from an rp standpoint for me so I won't regret it too much.

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
+5 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

7/3/2019
What kind of child doesn't like a tomb-bear with a dancing skeleton? A child with questionable taste, to be sure!

--
Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
+5 link
mp
mp

7/2/2019
Her reaction to maximum oddness: https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/mp/16385917
And the epilogue: https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/mp/16385986
edited by mp on 7/2/2019

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/mp
+4 link
Lady Karnstein
Lady Karnstein

7/2/2019
The child did not like Caroline's creation. This smacks of poor upbringing in her opinion.

--
Lady Caroline Karnstein, The Moral Hedonist (Description)
Infamous writer, artist, and courtesan. Unrepentant Invert.
Paramount Presence, Correspondent, Nocturnal. Poet Laureate of the Neath, Ambassador to Arbor
+4 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

7/2/2019
So far, it's beautiful nightmare fuel.

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
+3 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

7/8/2019
[spoiler]The theory I've seen is that he is himself a clockwork toy, made by someone of extreme talent.[/spoiler]

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Cider? Just say hi!

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+3 link
Azothi
Azothi

7/9/2019
Just to compile the evidence for what I'd consider the most likely hypothesis, that being [spoiler]The Toymaker is an artificial creation of the Watchmaker's Daughter:

[1] He has waxlike hands and never drinks, which along with oily tears demonstrate that the Toymaker is not human.

[2] The art for the Unsettling Toymaker is reused from the "Playing with Broken Toys" storyline associated with the Watchmaker's Daughter. The puppets created by the Watchmaker's Daughter are able to act somewhat independently like a prototype of the Toymaker.

[3] In the ghastly ending, the Toymaker's creation is donated to the Relickers and they want him to take on "another apprenticeship". He says the telling line, "They say my new master knew my old mistress. I have so much to learn!" The Relickers are servants of Mr Cups, who had taken a keen interest in the Watchmaker's Daughter.

[4] The Toymaker has access to Vesture silk, while Cousins are outright hunted within and outside the kingdoms of the Presbyterate. With his apparent wax characteristics, his ability to obtain this silk if he were a Cousin would be severely diminished.

[/spoiler]

--
Azoth I, the Amaranthine Wanderer - Midnighter - A Paramount Presence (not currently accepting new Proteges)
Away to where the Chain cannot bind us.
Hesperidean.
+3 link
Azothi
Azothi

7/3/2019
Julius de Poisson wrote:
With regards to some of the text about the Toymaker though... is he a Noman?
The Toymaker's "mistress" is implied to be [spoiler]the Watchmaker's Daughter.[/spoiler]

When accounting for some of the other odd characteristics of the Toymaker, one could make an argument that that relationship is a bit deeper than an apprenticeship.

--
Azoth I, the Amaranthine Wanderer - Midnighter - A Paramount Presence (not currently accepting new Proteges)
Away to where the Chain cannot bind us.
Hesperidean.
+2 link
Kaigen
Kaigen

7/2/2019
Optimatum wrote:
And this raised some new questions about what exactly the Toymaker is...

You're telling me. As soon as I realized how this was fitting in with a certain other storyline, I kept hoping that...

[spoiler]My Albino Rat[/spoiler]

...would factor in somehow.

--
Just a simple doctor with a chess habit. Publisher of The Flit Dispatch.

"One must remember that the impossible is, alas, always possible."
-Jacques Derrida
+2 link
Kharsirr Lynx
Kharsirr Lynx

7/2/2019
Epilogue goes out as opportunity card, yes?

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Kharsirr%20Lynx
+1 link
Arcengal
Arcengal

7/2/2019
This is one where I'm going to be curious of the other outcomes. I crafted the oddest thing I could, then felt bad for the little one when she was all alone so went and made something more childlike. I wonder what the differences are between the different endings.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Arcengal
+1 link
Kaigen
Kaigen

7/2/2019
This is so adorably nightmarish. I couldn't stop giggling manically as I went through the different options.

--
Just a simple doctor with a chess habit. Publisher of The Flit Dispatch.

"One must remember that the impossible is, alas, always possible."
-Jacques Derrida
+1 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

7/2/2019
A lovely conclusion! I quite like these ones where we get to choose multiple paths and decide which to keep. The Heiress got an extremely odd bear, though I'm still waiting on the conclusion card. I'm also curious to know whether there are different endings for mixing traits, or if it just uses the most prominent one.

And this raised some new questions about what exactly the Toymaker is...

Jolanda Swan wrote:
Agh, I regret not choosing maximum oddness. I went for maximum garishness, (see profile for conclusion and epilogue) misinterpreting the unique angle, but still - it made sense from an rp standpoint for me so I won't regret it too much.

What did your ending give?

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Cider? Just say hi!

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+1 link