Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Salons

Here you can speculate on the game’s plot, discuss its characters, and compare notes with other players.

Bonuses for... LOSING? Messages in this topic - RSS

Urthdigger
Urthdigger

2/11/2012
I just came across something odd. I was trying to get myself killed so I could try out a few things on the boat, and was doing so by choosing the "Find a great many spiders" in the "Eyes and Spiders" storylet (It was chancy difficulty for me). When my wounds finally hit 8, I got a special message.

Where was that?

Spiders. More spiders. Even more spiders. Scuttling, leaping, biting, poisoning, running away. Thinking is hard. You see a great warm land, far across the Unterzee, but lit as if it were the Surface. An old place. A vital place. Where death is no more than an amusement. And then you're back in a gutter, with a dozen spiders crawling over your legs.
Dangerous is increasing... [?] Echo this
You now have 3 x Memory of Distant Shores [?] Echo this
Wounds has increased to 8 - The Spirit has Departed! [?] Echo this

It seems that I got a new message, as well as some items, for managing to hit 8 on a menace for this particular storylet. Wonder how many other storylets have similar ways to win by losing?
edited by Urthdigger on 2/11/2012

--
Looking for second chances to maximize your loot output from those troublesome storylets? Check out our handy gang of volunteers in this thread, or even volunteer yourself!

@Urthdigger on twitter
0 link
Dave
Dave

2/11/2012
Now that you mention it, I believe I once got memories of light from dying in a similar incident. I think it was the first time I had died from wounds from a normal story, so I didn't know it was uncommon at the time and promptly forgot it. I can't recall where it was, or even for certain that it happened. Alas, most of my deaths now are self-inflicted in my mad quest for the name; and there is no reward from that death or that quest.

--
The Dave, a terrifying, lethal, inescapable and sagacious gentleman
0 link
Little The
Little The

2/11/2012
Oh my, that is very interesting indeed. Not only for the weird gameplay mechanic, but also because of the text... I wonder how this will tie into theories about [spoiler]the Elder Country and the Presbyterate[spoiler]?

--
A gentleman of numerous descriptors that change far too often. Second chance and menace reduction invites are welcome.

My journey to Seek the Name is recorded for posterity here. I asked "Who is Salt?"

I am a member of the Temple Club. If you would like an invitation, feel free to request one!

Fallen London is a game of choices. When you make an important one, you can record your rationale here.
0 link
Fang
Fang

2/12/2012
I remember something like that happen... I wonder how they set that up.
edited by Fang on 2/12/2012
0 link
Urthdigger
Urthdigger

2/12/2012
Ok, so it appears I was a little mistaken, or something. I've since seen this pop up a couple times even when it doesn't cause my wounds to hit 8. So... a rare success upon failure or something?

--
Looking for second chances to maximize your loot output from those troublesome storylets? Check out our handy gang of volunteers in this thread, or even volunteer yourself!

@Urthdigger on twitter
0 link
Jack Vaux-Harrowden
Jack Vaux-Harrowden

2/12/2012
Or just a rare success that includes a point of wounds, and your death was entirely a coincidence?
0 link
Early
Early

2/12/2012
That's possible. If you see it again, check if it says you succeeded or failed.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Early
0 link
Urthdigger
Urthdigger

2/12/2012
Yeah, just checked it. It is in fact a rare success. Well, that makes me feel a little better: I can focus on playing like I normally do, using second chances and modest difficulty to rack up tons of successes, instead of trying to fail.

--

@Urthdigger on twitter
0 link
streetfelineblue
streetfelineblue

2/13/2012
Well, what a HELL of a Rare success! And I thought the Rare success on "The Duchess enjoys controversy" option of "Entry the Duchess' salon" at the Shuttered Palace was bad -.-"

--
Twitter: @streetfelineblu
Blue's LiveJournal
Blue's Echo Bazaar profile
Blue's Night Circus diary
Link to Ocelot's Enigma Ambition hint page; PM for clarification. No direct solutions provided.
0 link
Early
Early

2/13/2012
Three Memories of Distant Shores is a neat reward for a Docks storylet, though.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Early
0 link
streetfelineblue
streetfelineblue

2/13/2012
Early wrote:
Three Memories of Distant Shores is a neat reward for a Docks storylet, though.

Well, yes, actually.

--
Twitter: @streetfelineblu
Blue's LiveJournal
Blue's Echo Bazaar profile
Blue's Night Circus diary
Link to Ocelot's Enigma Ambition hint page; PM for clarification. No direct solutions provided.
0 link