Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeSunless Sea

A game of survival, trade and exploration in the universe of Fallen London

Tribulations of a Translator (POTENTIAL SPOILERS) Messages in this topic - RSS

Ixc
Ixc

6/14/2020
I think in the specific case of LB's I would advise against it, as Failbetter doesn't inform us what it means as a sort of in-joke. In my personal experience, it took me half the game to puzzle out what L_ B_ meant, and made it a lot funnier.

--
Pleased to meet you. Ixc, spy and detective. Inventor of the Correspondence Cannon.
Are you a Paramount Presence? Record your name here. For posterity, of course.

Being poked incessantly by nightmares? Poke them back!
Vote the Viscountess for Mayor!
0 link
Cpt. Eructus
Cpt. Eructus

6/14/2020
But the chance of figuring it out in Spanish, however I spin it, is virtually non-existent, especially because most players playing a translated Sunless Sea won't be familiar with Fallen London, where the term is used more frequently. In Sunless Sea, this is literally the only mention, and even if someone figured it out, the joke would be mostly lost in translation.

The other instance where I thought notes could be worthwhile, as I mentioned, is in the case of quotes from literary sources that have some cultural relevance in the English world, but are all but unknown outside of it. Yes, still only people with an above average level of culture and some knowledge of English literature will get some of those reference even in English, but virtually noone, whatever their level of education, would get them in Spanish if they're not explained (many of those works have never been translated into Spanish (or never outside of some obscure 19th century edition), so I have to traslate those extracts myself, making them even less recognizable, even if someone were to know of them).

Yes, it is dumbing down some of the subtlety Failbetter has put into their work, and it's a shame, but the subtlety would be wasted if nobody can grasp it, so making it available to everyone looks to me like the next best (or less bad) thing.

(And I'm sure there's a tiny bit of pedantry on my part and wanting to show off my research too. Definitely guilty of that :p)
edited by Cpt. Eructus on 6/15/2020

--
Captain Eructus, Royal Bethlehem Hotel, Fallen London (when not at zee)
0 link
Jel
Jel

6/14/2020
I didn't figure it out until it was outright told to me, so 'not figuring it out' isn't that big of a deal imo.

--
The Extravagant Wordsmith (Jel) accepts all social actions. Alert me before snubbing me.

The Melancholic Shadow accepts all social actions.
0 link
Cpt. Eructus
Cpt. Eructus

5 days ago
I've noticed that the Bazaar is addressed with the feminin pronoun "she", particularly but not only, by Penstock. Is there any clearer implication of the Bazaar being some flavor of "female" or is it more of a poetic thing like when using "she" with ships?

I'm asking because in Spanish the word Bazar is masculin and it would be weird to have it personified as a female. But if there's not more to it and the actual gender of the Bazaar is never discussed further, I can get away with calling it "el Bazar" as I've been doing and treating it like a masculin noun.
edited by Cpt. Eructus on 9/14/2020

--
0 link
MidnightVoyager
MidnightVoyager

5 days ago
Cpt. Eructus wrote:
I've noticed that the Bazaar is addressed with the feminin pronoun "she", particularly but not only, by Penstock. Is there any clearer implication of the Bazaar being some flavor of "female" or is it more of a poetic thing like when using "she" with ships?

I'm asking because in Spanish the word Bazar is masculin and it would be weird to have it personified as a female. But if there's not more to it and the actual gender of the Bazaar is never discussed further, I can get away with calling it "el Bazar" as I've been doing and treating it like a masculin noun.
edited by Cpt. Eructus on 9/14/2020

There is sidebar text that says that people tend to refer to it as a gendered pronoun opposite to their own. IE: Men call it she, women call it he. It does not have a gender, it's just a quirk of how people talk about it.

--
Midnight Voyager - A blood-cousin to predators. Collector of beasts. Affably mad.
+1 link
Ixc
Ixc

4 days ago
I guess you could call it Bazar when people refer to it as the government, a la the Kremlin for the Russian government for example, though I unfortunately can't contribute more.

--
Pleased to meet you. Ixc, spy and detective. Inventor of the Correspondence Cannon.
Are you a Paramount Presence? Record your name here. For posterity, of course.

Being poked incessantly by nightmares? Poke them back!
Vote the Viscountess for Mayor!
+1 link
PJ
PJ

4 days ago
I'm almost certain Maybe's Daughter calls the bazaar "he" at the end of her storyline.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Peter%20James
+2 link
Cpt. Eructus
Cpt. Eructus

4 days ago
Interesting. Now that you mention it, I think I vaguely remember that sidebar text. But I can't replicate that variation in Spanish and make it sound right, so I think I'll stick to the gramatically coherent masculine.

--
0 link