Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Enlist other Players: the Singing Mandrake

Here you can find help from other players. Find a chess partner, someone to listen to your nightmares, or a clique.

Announcing the Fourth Tournament of the SRS Messages in this topic - RSS

James Sinclair
James Sinclair

10/7/2018
The Fourth Tournament of the Sanguine Ribbon Society is now officially open for signups! We had a phenomenal response to the previous tournament, and this one promises much excitement, thrills, and of course, bloodshed. So whether you are completely new to dueling or have enough Sanguine Ribbons to dress up as a Tomb Colonist for Hallowmas, I encourage you to sign up and test your mettle against the finest fighters in the Neath.

What is the Sanguine Ribbon Society (SRS)?
  • The SRS was created by Mike Hawk as a way to connect Fallen Londoners who are interested in Lethal Sparring Bouts and earning Sanguine Ribbons, and also for hosting tournaments such as this one. The SRS is purely player-run, and is not affiliated with or endorsed by Failbetter Games. There are currently over 65 players in the SRS, and anyone can join simply by adding their profile information to the Leaderboard.

What are the rules?
  • The complete rules for the Fourth Tournament can be found on the rules page of the SRS document; please review them carefully before signing up.
  • This will be a much more free-form contest than the previous tournament, with the choice of opponents being entirely up to participants. You'll be awarded points when you win a Lethal Sparring Bout based on whether you attacked (challenged another participant) or defended (was challenged by someone else). You can only fight with a given opponent ONCE, and each participant must fight a number of lethal sparring bouts equal to HALF the number of participants (I might revise this number based on how many people sign up; if so, I'll announce it, and any other changes, at the start of the tournament). There will also be a cut-off date, announced at the start of the tournament.

What can I win?
  • Fame, glory, and cash! The champion and the runner-up will both be entered into the Sanguine Hall of Fame, and will receive 420 and 210 First City Coins from the SRS Treasury, respectively. All prize money comes from generous donations.

How do I sign up?
  • First, you have to be a member of the Sanguine Ribbon Society. All you need to join is to have a Black Ribbon (which is required in Fallen London to participate in Lethal Sparring Bouts). If you're not a member already, just head over to the Leaderboard page and add yourself to it, along with a link to your Fallen London character profile.
  • In the 'Applying for' column of the Leaderboard, just type in 'Yes'. Congratulations, you're now officially signed up for the Fourth Tournament!

When does the tournament begin?
  • [The tournament can't begin until there are enough participants, so right now there isn't a fixed start date. I'll make an official announcement both here and in the Failbetter forum announcing the official cut-off date for signups, and the tournament start date.]
  • UPDATE: signups for the tournament will now end at noon EDT on Friday Nov 9th (see post below), and the tournament will begin within a couple of days after that.
  • UPDATE: Signups are now closed, and the tournament combat log and final ruleset are being finalized. I will post an update when the tournament officially starts.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome, and feel free to post here or contact me directly (either via PM or in-game) with any questions about the tournament or the SRS. Please note that the rules are subject to change prior to signup cut-off date; if there are changes, I will update the official Fourth Tournament rules page. For now, you can indicate your interest by signing up as described above, and keep an eye out here and/or on the Fallen London subreddit for the official start date announcement. Until then, keep your blades sharp and your wits sharper still. 🗡
edited by James Sinclair on 10/18/2018
edited by James Sinclair on 11/9/2018

--
James Sinclair

Curator of the Sanguine Ribbon Society 🗡

A fully-fledged rêveur of The Night Circus.

Wines is red
Spices is yellow
But old Jack-of-Smiles
Is a murderous fellow
+3 link
James Sinclair
James Sinclair

11/17/2018
Vega wrote:
Looking at the current tournament log (which is turning into a fun pasttime, by the way), I had a thought... what about a wooden spoon award for the person(s) who has fought the requisite 15 opponents but lost every single match, ending up with zero points at the end of the tournament? Instead of coins, how about dead rats? Perhaps 1000 of them (ie. 10 gift packages)?

Not at all inspired by my own score right now. Not at all. ;P But I think it'll be nice to have a prize acknowledging the bottom of the ladder. 15 losses is a lot of Death to escape.

In any case, both my alts (one who is non-contestant) are more than happy to contribute to a wooden spoon consolation prize of rats, and do the sending whenever the Gift opportunity card pops up. Just an idea!
Ha! This is an fun idea, although I would not want to shame anyone who ended up with a poor showing in the tournament.

How about this: when the tournament concludes (or is near conclusion) , I'll contact the participant(s) who has the lowest score among all participants who completed the requisite 15 bouts (therefore excluding anyone who "dropped out", or didn't finish the full 15), to make sure that this would be ok with them. If so, in the conclusion announcement where I announce the winner and runner-up, I'll encourage all participants to send the lowest-scorer rats and cheerful messages.

Conveniently, this may happen around the annual fan holiday of Ratmas, so it would be seasonally-appropriate, too.

--
James Sinclair

Wines is red
Spices is yellow
But old Jack-of-Smiles
Is a murderous fellow
+2 link
James Sinclair
James Sinclair

12/10/2018
Cooper wrote:
Wait, ALL duels?

I've only been keeping track of duels with fellow SRS members.

Can I update my wins accordingly? Otherwise my Sanguine Ribbon and win counts do not match up.
Yes, you can include stats for all of your lethal sparring bouts on the leaderboard, even against non-members. It's entirely possible that you may not have a full record of your wins and losses, especially before joining the Society, so don't worry about it too much if you omit some of them or if you have to make an estimation of your numbers.

--
James Sinclair

Wines is red
Spices is yellow
But old Jack-of-Smiles
Is a murderous fellow
+1 link
Cooper
Cooper

12/11/2018
James Sinclair wrote:
Cooper wrote:
Wait, ALL duels?

I've only been keeping track of duels with fellow SRS members.

Can I update my wins accordingly? Otherwise my Sanguine Ribbon and win counts do not match up.
Yes, you can include stats for all of your lethal sparring bouts on the leaderboard, even against non-members. It's entirely possible that you may not have a full record of your wins and losses, especially before joining the Society, so don't worry about it too much if you omit some of them or if you have to make an estimation of your numbers.

Neat, thank you. That makes me the fourth-deadliest man/woman/erm, yes in London.

--
Padraig Cooper,
Remorseful Opportunist. https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Padraig%20Cooper
+1 link
Vega
Vega

10/14/2018
I've done so more trialling, and have found a way to avoid a trip into Death if you are a duel recipient, and lose.

It involves camping out on the Messages tab without manual reloading of the browser page, or moving off to other tabs, until Messages auto-reloads and announces that you've been killed by the duel giver. Then you either accept Wounds help from Messages, or move to the Possessions tab and drink a Tincture of Vigour to get below Wounds 8 (I tried both methods successfully). This way, the Story tab doesn't seem to register your Wounds 8 and push you onto the unavoidable "A sudden darkness!" storylet which stops you from doing actions anywhere else.

If my experience in previous posts still holds, I don't think this will work if you access http://www.fallenlondon.com/messages after you've been killed: you need to already have the Messages tab opened when you're killed. And do not reload the browser window (because this seems to reload the entire site including the Story tab), but wait for Messages to auto-reload and update the social action list itself. As long as you don't access Story between getting the kill notice and lowering your Wounds, "A sudden darkness!" should not auto-fire.

TL;DR - if you're a duel recipient and you know you'll be losing, camp out on the Messages tab without reloading your browser, until you get the kill notice, then accept Wounds help or drink a Tincture. Basically the same strategy as for the old website. (I think Death remains unavoidable if you initiated the duel and lost.)

I haven't tried to buy a Tincture from the Bazaar tab after I've been killed and drink it right away. So it's best to have Wounds help or Tinctures of Vigour on hand before entering a lethal duel.

--
edited by Vega on 10/14/2018

--
The Jaunty Mystic, Taranlei, roams the streets of London, interviewing fellow citizens. Accepting all Acquaintances, social interactions and opportunities for casual roleplay. Member of the Temple Club, happy to invite you for a visit, PM me in-game!

The Shifty Spectre has departed on the final voyage. "I have gone down, down, my love..."
+1 link
Reinol von Lorica
Reinol von Lorica

10/14/2018
Huzzah! Once more, to battle!

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Reinol%20von%20Lorica
+1 link
Reinol von Lorica
Reinol von Lorica

10/17/2018
Oh yeah, shouldn't all the profile links be changed in the leaderboards?

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Reinol%20von%20Lorica
+1 link
James Sinclair
James Sinclair

10/17/2018
Reinol von Lorica wrote:
Oh yeah, shouldn't all the profile links be changed in the leaderboards?
Yes, for everyone except the newest Society members. I'll take care of it before the tournament begins. Thanks for the reminder!

It's not just the leaderboard links, though. Most users on this forum are still using old profile links in their signatures.

--
James Sinclair

Wines is red
Spices is yellow
But old Jack-of-Smiles
Is a murderous fellow
+1 link
Vega
Vega

11/5/2018
Is the SRS committee accepting donations of prize money for this tournament? If so, who shall I send it to? (Sorry for bothering you about it in-game, James!)

--
The Jaunty Mystic, Taranlei, roams the streets of London, interviewing fellow citizens. Accepting all Acquaintances, social interactions and opportunities for casual roleplay. Member of the Temple Club, happy to invite you for a visit, PM me in-game!

The Shifty Spectre has departed on the final voyage. "I have gone down, down, my love..."
+1 link
James Sinclair
James Sinclair

11/9/2018
SingingFlame wrote:
Are the Wins/Losses columns on the leaderboard sheet for all of the lethal duels you've ever fought, or only for those during the tournament? I ask because I hadn't fought anyone with Anne before signing her up, but since then, she's had some practice duels with someone and has acquired a ribbon.
The leaderboard stats are for all Lethal Sparring Bouts that you've fought, both in and out of tournaments. Upon joining the Society, if you want to, you can fill out the Wins column with the number of Sanguine Ribbons that you already have (see note #4 on the Introduction page of the SRS document).

SingingFlame wrote:
Also. I think one of the recent updates has made it possible to survive losing a lethal duel again if you're the attacker. She got "A Double Death" yesterday on a duel she'd instigated. I was able to go to the messages tab and accept a new-style offer of healing without her losing a Horsehead Amulet.
Very interesting! The recent site updates have have made a few minor changes and corrected some glitches, so hopefully this change sticks around. It could be extremely useful for participants in the tournament.

--
James Sinclair

Wines is red
Spices is yellow
But old Jack-of-Smiles
Is a murderous fellow
+1 link
Vega
Vega

11/15/2018
Looking at the current tournament log (which is turning into a fun pasttime, by the way), I had a thought... what about a wooden spoon award for the person(s) who has fought the requisite 15 opponents but lost every single match, ending up with zero points at the end of the tournament? Instead of coins, how about dead rats? Perhaps 1000 of them (ie. 10 gift packages)?

Not at all inspired by my own score right now. Not at all. ;P But I think it'll be nice to have a prize acknowledging the bottom of the ladder. 15 losses is a lot of Death to escape.

In any case, both my alts (one who is non-contestant) are more than happy to contribute to a wooden spoon consolation prize of rats, and do the sending whenever the Gift opportunity card pops up. Just an idea!

--
edited by Vega on 11/15/2018

--

+1 link