Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Election

A place for in-game political discussion.

1897 Mayoral Candidates Discussion Messages in this topic - RSS

Absintheuse
Absintheuse

7/13/2018
Delicious friends, another Election has come and gone. As always we're interested - who would you like to see as a candidate in 1897 and why?

The 1896 Election statistics are also now available on our blog.
+4 link
incerteza
incerteza

8/20/2018
Someone has to say it.

Mr Empty Chair for the next Mayor.
+7 link
Vavakx Nonexus
Vavakx Nonexus

7/15/2018
I'd like to back the earlier suggestion of Monsieur Pleat. He is a man of mysterious allegiances and a popular society figure besides (several wealthy and influential Society figures depend on him, and he even hosts his own salon) If he wanted to, he would easily be able to gather a sizeable backing among Society, as well as the Bohemians and the Urchins employed by London's magicians.

Just having Pleat run would surely reveal more about Mahogany Hall and its Shroud and Glass, two factions that haven't seen much development since their original feature in A Name Whispered In Darkness, as well as the goals of the elusive Fingerkings.

--
Amets Estibariz, the Moulting Eidolon: Cradled by a sun all their own.

Blabbing, the Hobo Everyone Knows: The One Who Pulls The Strings. A Clarity In The Darkness.

Charlotte and the Caretaker: A family?
+6 link
Vryl
Vryl

7/16/2018
I think, following this election in which the candidates all had their dirty laundry well known beforehand, what we need is an election of relative unknowns. People that players would like to know more about, though they really play small parts within the game.

The Ambitious Barrister is certainly ambitious enough, and is one character people are absolutely guaranteed to have met within their first six months and most likely have seen more recently. She has been asking a great many people about what makes them tick - I think it's only fair for us to hear more about her.

The Portly Sommelier shows up with some regularity to barter with most players, giving them better trade in value for their wine than they could normally get. He has also accumulated a great quantity of notability as he trades M____'s Blood in exchange for his Tears of the Bazaar back. I'd like to know how exactly he gets this blood, and what he wants to use borrowed Notability for.

Finally, for the villainous side for the ballet, Dr. Orthos. He competes for prizes in Forgotten Quarter expeditions. His fleet harasses (and, oddly enough, benefits) those who have been evicted from the University and now are able to make scientific voyages. Where exactly does the man find the funding for all this, and why does he bother? Does he have previously stolen research he has published? Is he after more to keep his credentials? Is it all just a lark?

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Vryl
+6 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

12/27/2018
Azothi wrote:
Have you seen the debates around here? They can get heated. Last year was better (bolstered by the fact that most of the active forum users coalesced around the same candidate), but Election 1895 was heated (not helped by the hostile political atmosphere in the United Kingdom and the United States).

I'm pretty sure 1896 didn't get overly hot because the mechanics changed. Being an observer in the first week and a participant in the second made the election a much more relaxed affair, as you kind of eased into it. The election story followed a nice, gradual trajectory: meeting the candidates, learning about their platforms, picking a candidate, getting your chosen candidate's secrets, and maybe switching due to said secrets. And scattered throughout you had wry, whimsical little polls asking which candidate you'd rescue from a burning building or have make your bath. Lots of stuff to discuss, not just argue about.

In contrast, 1894 and 1895's mechanics just tossed players into the deep end. Candidates didn't sell themselves as you chose one before really getting their pitch. As you picked a candidate right off the bat, you generally became a partisan right off the bat, all based on nothing more than a first impression. This had a pretty big effect on tone: people began boosting candidates and, having made a decision, were a lot less likely to change their minds (once you make a decision, you're sort of psychologically primed to justify and defend it). But the writers clearly wanted people to switch, as they'd drop status reports and nasty surprise revelations in the second week to shake the race up. But the election reward was based on election career, which strongly incentivized not switching! There were...a lot of contradictions with this system. Psychological and mechanical aspects discouraged switching while story revelations tried to push you to switch - it was like the whole was at war with itself. It encouraged people to shout very loudly and constantly gave them stuff to shout about.

The new system is better.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
+6 link
James Sinclair
James Sinclair

6/24/2019
Forget about political parties, let's have partying candidates instead:
  • The Rubbery Entrepreneur! He will revitalize London's flagging economy, and improve relationships between the different races!
  • The Turkish Girl (ahem, that's the Turkish Lady to you)! She'll will this race easily, and Londoners will dance with delight!
  • The Whiskered Admiral! An experienced military veteran, he'll keep London safe against the encroaching corsairs of the Iron Republic!

--
James Sinclair

Curator of the Sanguine Ribbon Society 🗡

A fully-fledged rêveur of The Night Circus.

Wines is red
Spices is yellow
But old Jack-of-Smiles
Is a murderous fellow
+5 link
Siankan
Siankan

5/23/2019
I'm sorry, but which one is supposed to be mentally stable again?

--
Prof. Sian Kan, at your service.
+5 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

7/13/2018
I will repeat what I said two years ago, that I would like to see the Ambitious Barrister run. This would be a little redundant with Slowcakes, but she's a mysterious minor character for whom I would like to see more content, and it would be consistent with her current characterization. I mean, Ambitious is literally her first name, after all.

I will say that two years ago my thoughts were about who I would like to have as Mayor, whereas now my thoughts are much more along the lines of who I want to learn more about. Along that line... I would like to perform Flash Lays to uncover secrets about the following characters
  • Bishop of St Fiacre
  • Numismatrix (and/or the Civet)
  • Monsieur Pleat

These characters are all to a certain extent representatives of deeper mysteries of the Neath.

One character I would like to see just for the writing itself would be a version of the Blind Bruiser pretending to be a reformed upstanding citizen with no criminal ties. This is, of course, complicated by the Family Ties storyline (and the Cheery Man himself is off-limits), but the Blind Bruiser could more plausible disentangle himself from his current occupation.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/PSGarak
+5 link

11/13/2018
That would actually be a pretty fun event. Mayor takes off in the middle of her term- what do we do next? Chase her down and bring her back? Call for an early election?
+5 link
Televangelist
Televangelist

7/16/2018
The Widow, please! One of your best characters who's been criminally underused, lately -- as if the current writing staff just forgot about her.
+4 link
Snowskeeper
Snowskeeper

7/13/2018
After much discussion:

The Topsy King
Clathermont, posing as campaign manager for a dummy candidate from the docks.
Literally the entire Foreign Office, collectively.
A fan-club for the Vake running on its behalf.

--
S.F., a midnight midnighter and invisible eminence. Impossible to locate them, personally, but there are dead drops and agents.
+4 link
Ambystoma Maculatum
Ambystoma Maculatum

7/14/2018
I think F. F. Gebrandt would make a fun candidate. I'd like to see what an academic would do as Mayor, and it'd be interesting to learn more about her.

Other suggestions I've found particularly appealing:
His Amused Lordship
Either one of the Mercies
The Manager of the Royal Bethlehem Hotel
The Bishop of St. Fiacre
The Duchess

For returning candidates, I would love to see both the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner and the Implacable Detective get another chance, but preferably in different years so I can vote for them both.
edited by Ambystoma Maculatum on 7/14/2018

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Ambystoma%20Maculatum
+4 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

4/21/2019
I really don think it's in the style of the Masters to take center stage... I mean, the whole point of the Mayor's office was to be a nice distraction for the populace (and maybe create some love stories). Masters running for Mayor just feels really wrong...

--
+4 link
Siankan
Siankan

4/20/2019
Sir Wensleydale of Hardwick wrote:
The Fidgeting Writer?

There's a problem here. Generally, in the Neath, we assume that the handles, however prosaic, belong to one person. It's not always requisite--there's nothing in game to say that the Sardonic Music-Hall Singer I'm friends with is the same one that you know--but most of the time these are taken as names, in some cases (e.g. the Implacable Detective) without question.

The Fidgeting Writer, though... whichever way that story ends, it is highly unlikely that the Fidgeting Writer you meet this time around is the same one you helped out (or failed to) last time. And yet you can do that story repeatedly. Ergo, London must have an endless supply of Fidgeting Writers around falling afoul of sinister figures behind mirrors.

--
+3 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

5/22/2019
JamesSilver wrote:
Aye to:

Vavakx Nonexus wrote:
I'd like to back the earlier suggestion of Monsieur Pleat.

Meaux wrote:
The Honey-Addled Detective, I suppose it might be similar to the Implacable Detective but this guy needs some love, he's had an "Impossible" storylet for as long as I can remember.

JaneAnkhVeos wrote:
2. The Manager of the Royal Beth. London is one big madhouse, so we need a man with some experience. And charisma. And I wonder what political intrigues he may be up to as May.

Reinol von Lorica wrote:

The Honey Addled Detective.
The Manager of the Royal Bethlehem.

The ultimate election in my opinion.

Monsieur Pleat, the Honey-Addled Detective, and the Manager of the Royal Beth... So, two mentally unstable candidates, and a third candidate trying to lock them both up?
edited by Anne Auclair on 5/22/2019

--
+3 link
Catherine Raymond
Catherine Raymond

11/12/2018
Jolanda Swan wrote:
November would be great, and it would establish her as a character, but maybe that would too many anarchists in a row?

Too many anarchists? London has been subsisting in a subterranean cavern with bats living mostly on mushrooms for 30 + years! There cannot be too many anarchists in those circumstances so far as I am concerned.

--
Cathy Raymond
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/cathyr19355

Catherine Raymond aka Mrs. Rykar Malkus http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Catherine%20Raymond (Gone NORTH)
+3 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

12/22/2018
I for one wouldn't mind NPCs specifically crafted for the Elections. As long as we have three unknowns, and are allowed to find enough about them in three weeks, it would prove as exciting as our favorite NPCs! The ES writers have proved they can write exceptional characters when asked to.

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
+3 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

12/22/2018
And they already have a slogan - AAAAAAGH. Or even BAAAAAGH!

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
+3 link
lukeskylicker
lukeskylicker

12/23/2018
I stand by my idea that the only good candidate would be two urchins in a trench coat.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/lukeskylicker
A man who likes to sound smart when he's really just making it up as he goes.

Rehabilitator of Wretched Mogs.
+3 link
Siankan
Siankan

12/23/2018
But seriously, player character mayors. Think about it.

Let us think, then, you and I.

Thought One
Mayors feature repeatedly in content throughout the year. In order to do this, naturally, Failbetter must have creative control over the characters who become mayor. To use a PC as mayor, therefore, either

1) Failbetter doesn't do mayoral events during the year, disappointing basically everyone and obviating most of the interest of having a PC mayor,

or

2) the PC's player releases creative control over his or her character for the year (which is not likely to happen),

or

3) Failbetter and the player coordinate on every event the mayor is involved in.

Before you jump on #3 as being an excellent solution, consider the workload that involves. Even a single interaction at a single event is going to involve several pieces of text, for alternative choices and possibly alternative outcomes. Each one of these would have to be done in consultation with and vetted by the player. Now, multiply that by the number of desired interactions and the number of desired events, and you're starting to dedicate a lot of someone's time to this continual consultative process. If the player is particularly difficult to work with, this can quickly turn into a morass, sucking up someone's time, creating a lot of headaches, and preventing whomever's told off for the job from creating new content.

Also, what happens when the player suddenly decides in January that this is too much work, and bails without warning? What does Failbetter do then? Scrap any planned content for February? Take liberties with the PC mayor and hope? And if the player isn't happy with the way the PC mayoral events come out, what's the likelihood this sours opinions of Failbetter, both for the player and the overall player base.

Thought Two
Then we have to call in Baseborn & Fowlingpiece. The standing policy in almost every company involved in continuing creative endeavors is to not look at outside suggestions or creations. Why? Because it's one of the few defenses against someone claiming "They stole my idea!" and demanding a cut of the cash. Now, consider the legal complications of Failbetter actually using a character created by an outside source. Can the solicitor's rats write up the right documents to deal with it, along with the NDA and all the other infernal contracts? Yes. However, you have to pay them, and Gruyere is expensive.

Thought Three
Every player who's advanced to a certain point has met the Jovial Contrarian or the Duchess. Only the tiny sliver of players who've been on venues like the forum or the Discord have heard of even the best-known NPCs. Even of those, only a percentage pay enough attention to, say, Mr. Pages' Fabularities to know anything about them. For the vast majority of the player base, even the Drake Dynamos of the world are unknown quantities.

Thought Four
How do you decide what PCs to let run? Do we run a poll? Introduce primaries? Hand-select? All of these options have a way of causing disagreement, and consequently hard feelings.

Speaking of hard feelings, how will the campaign affect those who are on the forum? After all, Anne Auclair and I can argue all day about the appropriateness of the Jovial Contrarian as mayor and still share a civilized cup of tea when it's over. What if we're arguing about the appropriateness of Lady Sappho? What about Sir Wensleydale? Are you prepared to have your character dissected in the way we usually do at elections? Are you going to be able to maintain good relations with those who argue vociferously that you should not be the mayor? Perhaps you are, but I'm willing to lay down money that not everybody is--and that not everyone who thinks they are would stand the test. We have a delightful community around here, and I am not convinced that in-game politicking is the proper ingredient for maintaining it.

Thought Five
Now, let's imagine that you, the player, have had your PC elected mayor. Congratulations! It's quite an honor. Now, what are you going to do? Perhaps protest against yourself? The mayoral card is usually interesting, in one way or another, but if I am the mayor, it seems awkward to do anything with it at all. I suppose Failbetter could make mirror versions of every single mayor interaction based on some "You're the Mayor!" quality, but again that's a lot of extra work for someone, which means time and resources not going toward making the game better for the whole player base. Otherwise, however, being mayor is likely to feel like an anticlimactic letdown.

-----

Mayoral PCs have been suggested several times. Real solutions to the above problems, however, have not been so forthcoming. Thus they remain, and are likely to remain, merely a thought exercise.
edited by Siankan on 12/23/2018

--
+3 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

12/24/2018
I'd like to nominate the very respectable Mr Clathermont.

Mr. Slowcake was exceptional fun (his campaign had the best writing!), but he wasn't the Great Game candidate a lot of us were hoping for. This highlights the scarcity of usable Great Game characters, most of them being either very anonymous or very foreign, as well as the larger philosophical problem of a spy running for office as the candidate of spies not normally being a very spy thing to do. When you also take into consideration that members of the Great Game generally spend most of their time, well, fighting other members of the Great Game, it's clear that any candidate must be a sort of unifying figure which all sides feel they can use or manipulate.

Surveying London, the only well established Great Game character with a unifying position and the cover story to run for Mayor would be Mr Clathermont. Everyone knows he's in deep with the Great Game, but his official occupation is as that of tattooist. He's also not aligned with any of the factions (London, Khannate, Surface Powers, Elder Continent), his role being that of a neutral provider of special services and information. Furthermore, Mr. Clathermont also has a lot of Zailors among his clientele, which hints that his support could extend well beyond London's spies in ways very conductive to a Great Game campaign (remember that in Ms. Plenty's Carnival the spies disguise themselves as Drownies).

Also, I think the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner deserves a second shot. Dauntless is literally her last name and Determination probably her middle one. The Contrarian learned from his defeat and grew into a much better (and somewhat more ruthless) contender. There's no reason the same can't happen with the Campaigner. Tea can be spicy as well as sweet.

--
+3 link
Catherine Raymond
Catherine Raymond

7/16/2018
Anne Auclair wrote:
Televangelist wrote:
The Widow, please! One of your best characters who's been criminally underused, lately -- as if the current writing staff just forgot about her.

Which Widow? The Kind-Hearted one or the Gracious one?

Let's double the fun! Have *both* of them run--the Soft-Hearted Widow and the Gracious Widow. Maybe round out the set with the Duchess. :-)

--
Cathy Raymond

Catherine Raymond aka Mrs. Rykar Malkus http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Catherine%20Raymond (Gone NORTH)
+3 link
lady ciel
lady ciel

7/13/2018
Mrs Plenty. I would definitely like to know more about her story.

--
ciel

Sorry RL means I am not a very active player at the moment. No social actions unless you are prepared to wait and definitely no sparring or other mult-action things.

No Calling Cards or boxed cats please. Will take dupes on the affluent photographers. Other social invitations welcome. Parabolan Kittens usually available, send me an in-game social action saying you want one and I will get one to you as soon as possible.

storynexus name - reveurciel
+3 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

7/16/2018
Televangelist wrote:

Which Widow? The Kind-Hearted one or the Gracious one?

--
+3 link
Henricus
Henricus

7/25/2018
Winthropx wrote:
I would love to see the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner run again. She ran a protest campaign against Feducci for an entire year and would have won new supporters with her persistence. She would have learned from her mistakes, and she has dauntless and campaigner in her name. There is no way she would give up after just one campaign. Plus, I think this year's election system would have been perfect for her to win and gain supporters.

The Jovial Contrarian running twice made perfect sense, in-character, because he's an inconstant weirdo who at the very least pretends not to really care about anything in particular. The DTC doesn't seem like the type to waste everyone's time by running again with the same platform, nor the sort who'd compromise on her beliefs by watering them down. She may never give up, but that doesn't mean that she has to keep trying the same thing over and over again.

Besides, I was disappointed enough when Slowcake and the Contrarian unfurled their banners. I'd much rather have candidates that we know little about, like the Implacable Detective or the DTC the first time around, than relatively known quantities like Mr Slowcake or Her Royal Highness. The discovery is rather more than half the fun of the Election, in my view, and there simply can't be that much else to find out about the Campaigner.
+3 link
idumea
idumea

8/23/2018
A Summurset academic would be a good antidote to the last couple of years of anarchy. Get someone genteel in to right the ship and give the market traders some room to breathe (and claw back their privileges). Plus, a lesser-known Master of the Bazaar ought to toy with the populace now that the boundaries of good taste have well and truly been shattered.
+3 link

11/11/2018
Hard pass on that idea. My sense of immersion suffers enough knowing that both my characters have gone through exactly the same story arcs with different conclusions, I don't need "Joanie123" holding office on top of that.
+3 link
Siankan
Siankan

11/12/2018
Tom Davidson wrote:
I would personally love to see either a Rubbery gentleman or a leader of rats try to run. No doubt their eligibility would have to be resolved by the courts first.

Last year was a very loud message that London is willing to work around minor details like legality when it comes to mayoral candidates. After all, one of the candidates was a member of the royal family (see last year's discussion for the constitutionality issues) and another one quite literally did not exist. Thus, I do not think the courts would raise much of an issue.

That said, there is an extremely high barrier to these options, and that is that we have no major Rubbery or Ratty characters to work with. Feducci and Slowcake (and arguably the Princess) may not have been human, but they were personalities (if one is generous with the bounds of that term). They are names. How many named Rubbery Men do we have in London? How many named rats? We are, quite literally, likelier to get a Snuffer or a Clay Man than we are to get a Rubbery Man.

The other issue is platform: Who in London would support such a candidate? What would a Rubbery mayor stand for? I have not seen such questions answered so far, and they aren't likely to be until you have an individual Rubbery Man to talk about.

So assuming species is no barrier, what possibilities exist in London?

- Humans (lots and lots of options, including Tomb Colonists)
- Snuffers ([redacted])
- Devils (Virginia is the top candidate)
- Tigers (the aforementioned Tiger Keeper)
- Parakeets (Plato--and I hope I'm joking)
- Clay Men (Clay Coalman or the Pirate-Poet, among others)
- Masters (Mr. anyone, but of course there are other, scarier barriers here)
- Space-Crabs ([redacted], and see the above about barriers)
- Cat (the Starveling One--now what about that?)

(Have I missed any? I don't think so, but tell me if I did.)

Rats, bats, weasels, Rubbery Men, ravens, Lorn-Flukes, Fingerkings, spider councils, and others exist, but have no proper-noun representatives in London. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) If you really want to see a Rubbery mayor, what you need to be lobbying for is a named Rubbery Man to show up, so that we can then talk about him as a real candidate.
edited by Siankan on 11/12/2018

--
+2 link
Sir Joseph Marlen
Sir Joseph Marlen

8/20/2018
incerteza wrote:
Someone has to say it.

Mr Empty Chair for the next Mayor.

It's the ultimate revolutionary candidate. There is no mayor, just a chair we all get to bully. Anarchism finally has a chance in legitimate government.

--
Sir Joseph Marlen - The Romantic Sophist
Alexus Harven - The Defiant Fatalist
Rose Reinhelm - The Respectful Revolutionary
Cappuccino - The Perfidious Spycraft

Available for any and all social actions.
+2 link
Cooper
Cooper

7/15/2018
Can the Dawn Machine (or one of its people) run? HE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN T

I support Miriam Plenty, she's an interesting lady.

Blind Bruiser is another solid choice. "Vote for me, or keep your mouf shut."

--
Padraig Cooper,
Remorseful Opportunist. https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Padraig%20Cooper
+2 link
Daedalus_Falk
Daedalus_Falk

7/16/2018
Sir Frederick wrote:
Forgive me repeating myself, but I don't think the Parliamentarian would be a good choice, because she's a player-designed character from one of the Silver Tree pledge rewards.

Well, in that case, you're probably right. A man can dream, though.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Daedalus_Falk

----

For I was hungry, and you gave me rats. I was thirsty, and you gave me rats. I was naked, and you gave me rats. The rodents were gathered together, the cats slept in the Sun’s blindness, and the rats rose like the Moon, in the light at the edge of the cheese.
+2 link
menaulon
menaulon

7/17/2018
I would like to highlight Dr. Carrywell. For a character with so many connections and story hooks, she is extremely underused. She is dangerous, but in a long-term way that means her victory won't necessarily lead to anything drastic. We had a Princess run for mayor, now let an avatar of the (Bloody-Handed) Queen have her turn!

--
Menaulon
Open to social actions, but would prefer to be betrayed in the search for Photographer.
+2 link
ewokonfire
ewokonfire

7/15/2018
You know what this government lacks? Vision! We need a mayor with an ambitious programme for the city, and the political experience to successfully make it happen. There is only one person who fits both bills. The city is almost ready. The time has almost come.
edited by ewokonfire on 7/15/2018
+2 link
Meaux
Meaux

7/13/2018
A few off the top of my head:

Feducci again, that guy can never have enough power plus he's awesome.
Jasper and/or Frank, I can see some big mystery on nobody ever knowing if it's one or the other at any particular event.
The Tiger Keeper, maybe he will share something to let me figure out the Enigma....maybe...
One of the leaders of one of the Urchin gangs.
The Honey-Addled Detective, I suppose it might be similar to the Implacable Detective but this guy needs some love, he's had an "Impossible" storylet for as long as I can remember.
I'd love to see Jack of Smiles run somehow, but I know that will never happen for a lot of different reasons.
edited by Meaux on 7/13/2018
+2 link
The Curious Watcher
The Curious Watcher

12/22/2018
Nominate our lord and savior, the almighty Heptagoat,as Mayor to make our city truly a Notable location to be in.

--
Den Blackwell, Paramount
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Den%20Blackwell
The Silent Vake Hunter: GONE NORTH
The Ravenous Wanderer:
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/The%20Ravenous%20Wanderer
The Melancholic End-Bringer:
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/The%20Melancholic%20End-Bringer
The Lethal Nightmare:
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/The%20Lethal%20Nightmare
+2 link
Honeyaddict
Honeyaddict

12/26/2018
The Two Urchins in a Coat should be called Mr. Longshanks or "Oy", when protestors show up they'll (Mr. Longshanks) be protected by their fellow Urchins by a rain of pamphlets from above or you know, throwing rocks or Wild Words.

--
Honeyaddict, Scarlet Saint, Paramount Presence
pleasure to meet you.

Has some ideas the Masters won't approve of like some items and establishing a Colony in Parabola.

I will accept most social interactions (not duping). I do enjoy role playing as well.
Have some possibly still active codes!
+2 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

12/26/2018
Two of my 1895 suggestions that never went anywhere: His Amused Lordship and the Topsy King. I think they're worth a reconsideration as we didn't have a classic Society candidate or a Chaos candidate last time around. His Amused Lordship just seems like a natural fit to the position. What recommends the Topsy King is that we haven't yet had a candidate from the Flit, despite it being such an important part of London (the Topsy King running would also make way more sense than an urchin - he has higher name recognition, he's complex, he's an adult).

For a More Lordly London: His Amused Lordship for Mayor

1. His Amused Lordship is a knowledgeable, ambitious and visionary gentleman. He no doubt has many fine plans for London and, being independently wealthy, the means to run for mayor. An election story-line would also further flesh out his character. Right now all we really know about his interests is that he's a member of the Dilmun club and obsessed with the Mountain of Light. As with Jenny and the Contrarian, there must be more to him then that.

2. He moves in very distinguished circles: the Implacable Detective, the Bishop of St. Fiacre, and that towering figure of sophistication and propriety, the Captivating Princess. His campaign would therefore have an abundance of supporting characters to call upon.

3. He is not afraid to condescend to the more interesting members of London's lower classes, such as the player character and the Sardonic Music Hall Singer. So he has that "popular touch" that elections require and the Bohemian connections that Jenny exploited so successfully.

4. He has done, and is planning to do, great things for Neathy science. So his campaign could serve to bring some of the University's more palatable discoveries and ideas before the public in the form of proposals for their utilization toward the city's benefit.

5. After the last few elections, the great and the good will no doubt desperately want one of their own to achieve the office, and His Lordship would be the most obvious choice.

*from Society's perspective, anyway.

For a More...Interesting London: Tristram Bagley for Mayor

1. Despite having a big role in Heart's Desire, there is still a lot we do not know about him, his past, and his vision for London. A mayoral campaign would help expand his character beyond "tragic former composer turned crime lord who gibbers madly on the roof."

2. Bagley is already a sort of self-appointed Mayor (well, King) of the Flit, the top clandestine meeting place for urchins, spies, criminals, anarchists, police informants, cats and society members who have gone slumming. So he has some experience in local government and the balancing of competing interest groups. He also already has a rudimentary political organization in the form of the Raggedy Men and a small fortune in stolen paintings through which he could finance his campaign.

3. The Topsy King is a mad artist, specifically a mad composer. In the 19th century composers were badass!! A mad Neathy composer seeped in and driven mad by the Correspondence is even more so.! We have no idea how he'll run, what he'll run on, or how he'll communicate his message. But whatever he does, it would be very avant garde. During the last election we pretty much knew what the candidates would be running on just from seeing their posters. The Bagley campaign would be a genuine mystery, not least because the candidate himself would communicate entirely in ciphers and pantomime.

4. London's rooftops are their own separate world: poor, impoverished, and largely ignored by street level London. They are also a place of power, seeped in Correspondence knowledge and otherworldly secrets. The Chimney Pot Wars revealed that the Urchin gangs are capable of shutting down London merely by "warring" amongst themselves. When one considers that the Urchins are merely one segment of rooftop society, it becomes clear that the power balance is due for a correction at some point in the future. The Topsy King's candidacy would bring street level London face to face with this powerful other world.

5. All of London's elections have featured an especially unusual candidate (Sinning Jenny, Feducci, Slowcake), and one can't get more unusual than the Topsy King.

--
+2 link
Azothi
Azothi

12/27/2018
Solution: Look to Port Carnelian as an example, but spread it out so that your &quotTime Passing in Mayoral Office&quot quality can only increase at 1 CP per day. This solution is not without problems (namely, Port Carnelian), but the problems involved could just be blocked off.
The criticism was that with a PC mayor, there are significant structural challenges to implementing new Mayoral content. This content in the past has included a new opportunity card for the duration of the term, appearances at festivals (Fruits of the Zee and Hallowmas), references in Fate stories ("The Empress' Shadow", most notably, is the fulfillment of Sinning Jenny's campaign promise, while "The Marriage of Feducci" was the possible goal of his campaign), and a continued presence in ensuing elections. Furthermore, mayoral candidates have tended to bring new, powerful items into the fold during the Election, along with interesting lore. There are enormous hurdles to implementing any of these with PC mayors.

Solution: The way that I look at it, this would be more of giving an idea than the recipient stealing it.
The explicit reason why Failbetter states that its employees rarely look at fan work is to avoid the possibility of an accidental resemblance bringing about legal issues. While the staff has developed ideas from high-paying Kickstarter backers as rewards, there are likely legal documents and agreements that need to be set in place to ensure that the company cannot be sued, and the created character is only a representation, not a literal PC. The Merciless Modiste in Sunless Sea is not NiteBrite. The Merciless Modiste has no Heptagoat, nor has she gone NORTH. She is only a representation of a character, independent but connected. It is very different to have a character named "The Sir of Hardwick" run in an election than to have the player "Sir Wensleydale of Hardwick" run in an election.

Solution: Make them known. My original idea involved storylet a only open for less than a day. The solution involves that, and afterwards, opening a storylet revealing the candidates, and giving brief descriptions.
You would still have to limit the choice of candidates, censor the descriptions as necessary, and go through the logistical nightmare of sorting all the submissions, and that doesn't include all the time needed to draft, write, and edit the Election event itself.

Solution: Look to the beginning of Seeking Mr Eaten's Name. You are told then of what this would entail, and receive an item to let you opt out. The opt-out will be discussed in a second, but definitely let them know what may happen.
That lets anyone who doesn't want to run opt out, but it doesn't address the fundamental social problem of the Election. Have you seen the debates around here? They can get heated. Last year was better (bolstered by the fact that most of the active forum users coalesced around the same candidate), but Election 1895 was heated (not helped by the hostile political atmosphere in the United Kingdom and the United States). People became emotionally involved in the politics of fictional characters. That's not great when it's no longer fictional and we're debating the merits of real people's characters.

Siar Wensleydale of Hardwick wrote:
Solution: The opt-out item mentioned earlier would send a message to Failbetter saying that this mayor has resigned, and letting them create an auto-fire card for the runner-ups. This would require some bit of maintenance, but would be feasible.
"Some bit of maintenance" is an understatement, especially since Fallen London is essentially already operating on "some bit of maintenance", with bug fixes and updates (such as monthly Exceptional Stories). The current focus of the studio is rightfully on Sunless Skies, and they're still a small, independent company. The gain from investing significant resources into this one thing would need to justify the costs, and I don't see how it does.

--
Azoth I, the Amaranthine Wanderer - Midnighter - A Paramount Presence (not currently accepting new Proteges)
Away to where the Chain cannot bind us.
Hesperidean.
+2 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

3/9/2019
I would vote for the Soft-Hearted Widow in a heartbeat.
I do feel obligated to point out though, that FL talks a lot about the plight of the poor. The Urchins? Spite itself, where you rob drunkards and wretches? The haunted Soldier of our acquaintance? The Docks, where the usual industrialists have been replaced by mr Irons? The people in Watchmaker Hill, making a life hunting rats? Those who join the anarchists to fight injustice, before realizing what it is about? Not to mention the ESs like the Departed or the Heart, the Devil and the Sea. Misery and class warfare is literally everywhere you look.
As for your own enemies, you meet them both in the Palace (full of your rivals) and in the profitable Assassing Carousel.

One more reason then, to vote for someone like the Widow!
edited by Jolanda Swan on 3/9/2019

--
+2 link
Azothi
Azothi

3/11/2019
The Soft-Hearted Widow also has many depths to explore, such as connections to the [REDACTED] of Knife-and-Candle and her history with the Admiralty and the docks through [spoiler]her husband[/spoiler].

--
Azoth I, the Amaranthine Wanderer - Midnighter - A Paramount Presence (not currently accepting new Proteges)
Away to where the Chain cannot bind us.
Hesperidean.
+2 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

4/20/2019
I am pretty sure London does have an endless supply of those.

Not so sure they would run for Mayor.

--
+2 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

4/23/2019
I agree with Anne, though I don't put it completely beneath them to try for whatever insane reason - more distraction? More love stories? Boredom?
Having said that, I prefer the other candidates.

--
+1 link
JamesSilver
JamesSilver

5/22/2019
Aye to:

Vavakx Nonexus wrote:
I'd like to back the earlier suggestion of Monsieur Pleat.

Meaux wrote:

JaneAnkhVeos wrote:
2. The Manager of the Royal Beth. London is one big madhouse, so we need a man with some experience. And charisma. And I wonder what political intrigues he may be up to as May.

Reinol von Lorica wrote:

The Honey Addled Detective.
The Manager of the Royal Bethlehem.

The ultimate election in my opinion.

--
an exceptional weasel
+1 link
Vryl
Vryl

6/26/2019
Anne Auclair wrote:
This close to the election, it might be better to make a preliminary 1898 candidate thread.

I'd say that can wait until after we see who the candidates are this year. There's little point in campaigning for a favored NPC that may actually be ineligible because they did in fact already run for 1897.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Vryl
+1 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

7/4/2019
thefantodayhtml wrote:
Snowskeeper wrote:

Literally the entire Foreign Office, collectively.

I can just imagine what THAT candidacy would be like.

• edited by thefantodayhtml on 7/4/2019

• That candidacy would be very plausible. After all, Slowcake did something similar!

--
    +1 link
    lolahighwind
    lolahighwind

7/5/2019
    I would love a Foreign Office candidacy. The question is, though, would it be [spoiler]one faction or both? Would be hilarious if the candidacy couldn't agree on anything.[/spoiler]

--
    Aquila Highwind, the Adamant Monster-Hunter
    Dionysus Highwind, the Lost Wastrel (Gone NORTH)
    Ruby Valdez, the Opulent Operative
    +1 link
    JaneAnkhVeos
    JaneAnkhVeos

5/23/2019
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    Monsieur Pleat, the Honey-Addled Detective, and the Manager of the Royal Beth... So, two mentally unstable candidates, and a third candidate trying to lock them both up?

Siankan wrote:
    I'm sorry, but which one is supposed to be mentally stable again?

Heheh smile

Hmm... the electorate? (Questionable, too.)
    edited by JaneAnkhVeos on 5/23/2019

--
    || black ravens of dreams || white ravens of memories ||
    +1 link
    MrBreaksIt
    MrBreaksIt

3/31/2019
    I have to say, as someone who wasn't around for the previous elections, I am dreadfully excited to see how this all works.

--
    Eliza O'Claire, a Disguised Debutante.
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Eliza%20O'Claire
    +1 link
    JaneAnkhVeos
    JaneAnkhVeos

4/20/2019
    1. A Rubbery Mayor. Nuff said.

2. The Manager of the Royal Beth. London is one big madhouse, so we need a man with some experience. And charisma. And I wonder what political intrigues he may be up to as [spoiler]May.[/spoiler]
    edited by JaneAnkhVeos on 4/20/2019

--
    || black ravens of dreams || white ravens of memories ||
    +1 link
    Catherine Raymond
    Catherine Raymond

4/20/2019
    The Manager of the Royal Beth would be an ... interesting Mayor. But I don't find it credible that he'd be interested in campaigning for the job.

--
    Cathy Raymond

+1 link
    Siankan
    Siankan

4/20/2019
    JaneAnkhVeos wrote:
    1. A Rubbery Mayor. Nuff said.

Not enough said, actually. Who? There's not much in the way of named Rubbery Men, and Failbetter has so far shown themselves unlikely to invent characters. So which Rubbery Mayor are you looking for? (That said, the Rubbery Mayor just sounds like an excellent character title.)

JaneAnkhVeos wrote:
    2. The Manager of the Royal Beth. London is one big madhouse, so we need a man with some experience.

I'm with Catherine. Fascinating as he is, I think it's fair to say that the Manager is very much out of that game and not likely to return to it. Not but the Powers that Be haven't shown themselves willing to accommodate unusual candidates when there's enough interest, but I for one would find it a huge breach of character.
    edited by Siankan on 4/20/2019

--
    +1 link
    Jeremiah Oathes
    Jeremiah Oathes

3/8/2019
    I'm somewhat interested in a second run of the Princess. Or at least some adequate story content. She's just... fascinating with her little inherent dichotomy.

Beauty. Horror. Dignity. Self-indulgance. Love. Death/Madness. (And with respect to her former proposed art-project: creation and destruction.)

She's a socially accepted nightmare, walking the streets with (nearly) everyone cheering, fainting, crying or running in panic. Maybe it's just me, but the subtle outlining of her second nature gave me the creeps like only Mr Eaten content usually does. She's not a simple werewolf. She's something else, like the rest of the Royal Children.
    I think it's the masochist in me (and my morbid curiosity), but I'd love to see this played out on the grand scale.

My second proposal is the Soft-hearted Widow. She may be not as exciting as the other characters (until now), but she's the mayor London needs.
    Since Fallen London is half a fantasy story, its real world problems seem to slip out of everyone's minds.

I know it may not be the ideal ingredient for a gripping story, but where are the real politics? What's up with the parliament? Where is the struggle for the little politcal power that's left? There surely isn't just the Mayor, the Royal Family and the Masters. The Victorian Era was full of exploitation, opportunism, health hazards, wishful thinking, morals, double standards...

Of course a lot of stuff from this highly incomplete list has found its way into the game.
    But I have this indistinct feeling, that Fallen London is somehow not grimy enough to feel like the real Victorian London.

Yes, you are able to ascend to Her Majesties court. But I don't get the feeling that there was someone who opposed you. No backstabbing, no envy, no competition. Or did I miss these parts? You are a Person Of Some Importance and you have no natural enemies? Now that's a fantasy game. wink

My personal fascination with the Victorian Era stems (among others) from this battle of this segmented-but-connected society against this dirt and misery. The age of industrialisation was also full of wonders, even for the poorer parts of society, who suffered the most.
    The boisterous promises!!! of advertisements, the patronising behaviour of "experts" and "moral authorities"...

Anyway, before babbling any more, I see the chance that the Soft-hearted Widow is able to bring all this stuff back into consciousness (and into the story). A historical reality check of sorts.

--
    Dr Jeremiah Oathes - Natural Philosopher, Alchemist and Anatomist (part-time). Occasionally in Service to the Crown and the Bazaar. Would like to dissect a Master (for science and mad laughter).
    +1 link
    Catherine Raymond
    Catherine Raymond

11/12/2018
    Sir Frederick wrote:
    Forgive me repeating myself, but I don't think the Parliamentarian would be a good choice, because she's a player-designed character from one of the Silver Tree pledge rewards.

I think she would be a poor choice for another reason--she's NORTHBOUND! Does London really want to elect a Mayor who may tear off to the NORTH in the middle of her term?

--
    Cathy Raymond

+1 link
    Sir Wensleydale of Hardwick

12/26/2018
    That would actually be a pretty fun event. Mayor takes off in the middle of her term- what do we do next? Chase her down and bring her back? Call for an early election?

Yes.

--
    Sir Wensleydale of Hardwick- Riverside Regular, Newspaper Editor, Legendary Charisma.

Mr Netae- SEEKING MR EATEN'S NAME

Aaron Wimbleton- Private Detective. Some Medical Experience.

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Aaron%20Wimbleton
    +1 link
    Catherine Raymond
    Catherine Raymond

7/13/2018
    Ah, but some of the Forumites have already started a thread on Candidates for the 1897 Election: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic26387-election--candidates.aspx
    edited by cathyr19355 on 7/13/2018

--
    Cathy Raymond

+1 link
    Daedalus_Falk
    Daedalus_Falk

7/15/2018
    The Northbound Parliamentarian has the decided advantage of being the only NPC with any actual political experience I can think of, which is a decisive advantage when it comes for voting for a Mayor. I mean, come on: every single time the post has been filled by someone without any meaningful political experience. Yes, she might be a Seeker, but she also has the knowledge to actually get things accomplished, and would absolutely have my vote for that reason.
    edited by Daedalus_Falk on 7/15/2018

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Daedalus_Falk

----

For I was hungry, and you gave me rats. I was thirsty, and you gave me rats. I was naked, and you gave me rats. The rodents were gathered together, the cats slept in the Sun’s blindness, and the rats rose like the Moon, in the light at the edge of the cheese.
    +1 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

7/15/2018

--
    Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
    Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
    +1 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

7/18/2018
    I would like to see the Campaigner come back like the Contrarian did, having learned from her mistakes and constructed a more viable public platform. Something more welcoming that won't get her tagged as a simple moral busybody restrictionist out to spoil everybody's fun. I'd like to see more of the Campaigner from the Roser Market who makes friends with the Live Specimen. Also, a little more coffee then tea.

--
    +1 link
    Sanguinifex
    Sanguinifex

7/20/2018
    I'd definitely say the Northbound Parliamentarian, if it's possible. Are there any of her colleagues known in the Neath? Now would be the time to introduce such a character.
    Also, ranked-choice voting? The Contrarian only got 48% of the vote! This is an outrage to democracy!

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sanguinifex

Any non-harmful social actions except plant battles and affluent photographers!
    +1 link
    Winthropx
    Winthropx

7/23/2018
    I would love to see the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner run again. She ran a protest campaign against Feducci for an entire year and would have won new supporters with her persistence. She would have learned from her mistakes, and she has dauntless and campaigner in her name. There is no way she would give up after just one campaign. Plus, I think this year's election system would have been perfect for her to win and gain supporters.

--
    Bishop Winthrop, a kind-hearted soul
    A Paramount Presence
    I accept all social actions
    His Appearance
    http://community.failbettergames.com/topic9363-your-characters-appearances.aspx?messageid=229809&Page=10#post#post229809
    +1 link
    June Ellie
    June Ellie

7/24/2018
    I still say it would be pricelessly awesome to have a Rubbery candidate :P

--
    Main:Bottled Fire
    Alt: Fahrenheit Shadow
    +1 link
    Bitty
    Bitty

7/24/2018
    The Tiger Keeper! or February

--
    Main, Heathen(Nemesis)
    Aten(Seeker)
    Sook(Bag a Legend)

Open to all non-harmful social actions. Not into RP and will respond normally.
    +1 link

11/12/2018
    I'd vote for Mr Fires in a heartbeat (also he's the likeliest Master to want to run in the first place).

Also a fluke (either the gentler breed from Flute Street or the mean as hells kind from the unterzee), a clothes colony, a blemmigan, a frost moth, a sorrow spider, a fingerking in human form, a drownie & The Gentleman of the Marsh are all suitably outlandish options if you assume the species barrier isn't an issue.
    edited by Isaac Gates on 11/12/2018
    +1 link
    Siankan
    Siankan

11/12/2018
    Isaac Gates wrote:
    the mean as hells kind from the unterzee

I was assuming one would, at the very least, have to be present in London to run as its mayor. That's why I didn't include, e.g., Stone or Mt. Nomad as options, though they are certainly important personages and certainly not human.

--
    +1 link
    Siankan
    Siankan

11/28/2018
    So I thought (silly me) that it would be fun to make a candidate mockup for each of the non-human species I mentioned earlier. This was, of course, absurd. however, after struggling for some time with platforms and possibilities, one candidate did emerge as a coherent possibility. Consider the following:

-----
    The Pirate Poet
    Slogan: Write your own future! (alt. The future is unwritten!)

Platform: The Pirate-Poet promises to make London into a city where birth means nothing, and where anything is possible for the sufficiently determined. There is always a candidate aiming to break the Great Chain (and these candidates have a tendency to win); the Pirate-Poet fits squarely in this tradition. Not even Feducci so embodies revolutionary ideas.

Support: The Pirate-Poet is clearly aligned with the Revolutionaries, and also likely to be popular with the Bohemians. Her contacts and message may bring together these factions, Urchins, and Criminals for a coalition of the down-and-out (but, note, a very different one from the coalitions that supported Feducci and the Campaigner). The Dockers could go either way, depending on balance needs; many in Wolfstack have reason to hold a grudge, but she is also the first zailing candidate and many others might be happy just to get her on their side for once.

Opponents: Any revolutionary is going to make enemies among supporters of the status quo, which in London means Society, Church, and Constables. (It also means the Masters, though their heavy influence is no felt directly in matters political.) In addition, Society is unlikely to willingly allow a Clay (Wo)Man to participate in politics, and the Constables have issues with her illegal activities. The Church is likely to be divided, I think, and be the weakest force against her. (If Hell supports her, this may change.)

Problems: The legal problems here are staggering, but for our purposes that just means lots of interesting drama. (If Feducci and the Captivating Princess can run, I do not think Clayness is going to be an insurmountable barrier to Failbetter.) A more serious problem, however, is her likely appeal. The Pirate-Poet is a popular character on her own, especially (but by no means exclusively) to Sunless Sea players. Also, her nature is likely to appeal to those who view gender and sexuality in fluid terms (which, to judge from the forum, is not an insignificant portion of PCs), which will almost certainly tilt votes her way. In short, the problem may be finding someone to compete with her on even terms.
    -----

That observation, however, does lead me to another. I'm not saying this is a good idea, but let's imagine for a moment

-----
    Mr. Fires
    Slogan: (don't have one, sorry)

Platform: Mr. Fires promises to keep the gaslights on, to maintain a society where Londoners can explore the Neath's many delights in peace. (Does exploring these delights really lead to a peaceful society? Look, he's a merchant, not a logician; stop asking questions and nobody will get hurt.)

Support: If we give the Dockers to the Pirate-Poet, Mr. Fires is diametrically opposed to her. He will have the support of the Constabulary, certainly, and his business connections will give him a lukewarm connection to Society. (An opponent like the Pirate-Poet may, however, drive them into his arms.) His control over the candle market might also be used to put pressure on the Church, which (especially if the other candidates are worrisome) might bring them around, too, under protest. Yes, this coalition is mostly unwillingly being forced into being, but, well, have you met the neddy men?

Opponents: Everyone else? Well, Dockers and Revolutionaries, clearly. Probably Criminals, though I'm sure he has contacts. His schemes for London indirectly pit him against the Bohemians on several levels. In other words, the natural allies of the Pirate-Poet are the natural enemies of Mr. Fires, and vice versa. (That said, in a Poetless race, I could see Mr. Fires' well-documented hedonism and connection with the Bazaarine school win over the Bohemians, at need.)

Problems: Well, he's a Master. This is a more dangerous violation of the base premises than the Captivating Princess ever could be, and I'm not going to say it's a good idea. However, the pull of a Master might be enough to counterbalance the popularity of the Pirate-Poet and make a fairer competition. (Yes, I said Master, Pirate-Poet, and fair all in one sentence. I know.) That in itself creates a problem, however, because it makes a third candidate even more difficult. We don't want a final product of Caesar/Pompey/Crassus, or still worse Antony/Octavian/Lepidus. How do we end up without a third wheel on this bicycle?
    -----

You've got me. I don't know. I can at least tell you what we have to work with:

- Tomb Colonies, Great Game, Hell, and (if we want to work with them) Rubbery Men.
    - Possibly Urchins, Criminals, or even the Church, or at least part of the Church. (It would be interesting to me to see the faction divided, maybe along the Fiacre's/Southwark split, maybe not.) Perhaps shake things up by giving the Duchess or the Widow a voice.
    - Needs a platform sufficiently outside the status quo/revolutionary dichotomy to draw people sick of, bored of, or uninterested in it
    - Needs to be a fairly decent person, someone that those who have major problems with the other two can rally behind
    - Should probably be a good, old-fashioned human being

Is there a strong candidate that fits here? Factionally, I could see the Gracious Widow solving our problems, but she certainly won't help anyone put off by the other two, and I've not put any real thought into her platform. Also, I don't know that she'd be strong enough to compete with the other two (though she might be), and it's hard to run a campaign from a darkened room (not that similar problems stopped Slowcake). Maybe the Northbound Parliamentarian? She's got Colony connections, and a clear candle-lit platform that puts her at particular odds with Mr. Fires. If somehow we could bring in the Game she might be viable; I might also give her Society and let Mr. Fires have Hell in exchange. Still, someone would have to do an exceptional job to bring her up to par, and I don't know for certain that it could be done.

Anyway, this is just a thought exercise; while the Pirate-Poet looks like a real possibility, giving in to the temptation to pair her with Mr. Fires has BAD IDEA written all over it. Still, it was fun to think about, and I'd love to hear if it sparked any interesting thoughts in you.
    edited by Siankan on 11/28/2018

--
    +1 link
    Catherine Raymond
    Catherine Raymond

12/7/2018

In real life (or at least in any approximation of same more rigorous than Fallen London), they probably would call for another election. I suspect Failbetter's stafff would revolt at having to deal with Election Madness twice in one year.

--
    Cathy Raymond

+1 link

12/21/2018
    But seriously, player character mayors. Think about it.

--
    Sir Wensleydale of Hardwick- Riverside Regular, Newspaper Editor, Legendary Charisma.

Mr Netae- SEEKING MR EATEN'S NAME

Aaron Wimbleton- Private Detective. Some Medical Experience.

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Aaron%20Wimbleton
    +1 link