Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Election

A place for in-game political discussion.

Election 1896: Mr Slowcake Messages in this topic - RSS

Absintheuse
Absintheuse

6/18/2018
Feducci’s term is through! London requires a new Mayor! Whom will you support?
The editor of Slowcake's Exceptionals has, unexpectedly, entered the fray. He has yet to appear in public; his highly knowledgeable assistant, The Amanuensis, is managing the campaign in his stead.

He stands for a London where class is not the great equaliser, and thus his motto is: “To Every Soul Its Station.” It’s no surprise his followers are a mixture of rich and poor, from society patrons and matriarchs of industry to urchins, zailors and pickpockets.

Mr Slowcake's candidacy was announced via a three page spread in the Gazette. The argument was long-winded, but its thrust was simple. After years of collating the names of prominent Londoners in his book, Mr Slowcake has had enough.

Use the first week of London to investigate Mr Slowcake and the other candidates, as well as their platforms. More information on Election 1896 can be found in the Main Announcement thread.

Want to learn more about this candidate?
Mr Slowcake would never do something so crass as to appear in public. He's avoided it since the Fall, and isn't about to start now. However, if you're a Person of Some Importance, you can purchase an entry in Slowcake's Exceptionals, and can discover more via A Visit from Slowcake's Amanuensis Opportunity Card.
+6 link
Barse
Barse

6/25/2018
A new option on Slowcake's card allows you to meet the mysterious man "himself" - and, super interestingly, the text changes depending on whether or not it's your first visit! I will update if there's a third different option as I can.

Edit: So, uh, he's not so happy on the third visit. Colour me extremely interested...

Edit #2: Noooo, Chester!

Edit #3: I am 3000% invested and enthralled by the Chester Saga. (And getting very lucky with card draws!)

Edit #4: The plot thickens! I am a moron and didn't echo this one in my excitement. The prelimary text is the same, followed by: [spoiler]"A large figure sits in the shadows of the waiting room. They pour you a generous amount of wine and chuckle heartily. The figure leans forward; she is female, and Chester's mask sits awkwardly on her face. "Yup. It's me. Mr Slowcake. More tipple?" The interview is irreverent and uproarious. You don't remember getting back on the train."[/spoiler] How deep does this go??

Final edit, #5: Finally, the truth is out! See, all you had to do was tell us the truth, you silly devils. I'm more likely to vote for you than ever, now!

Thus ends the Chester Saga... perhaps.
edited by Barse on 6/25/2018

--
The Scorched Sailor, up for most social actions and RP. Not as scary as he looks.
+24 link
Siankan
Siankan

6/18/2018
My favorite line from the description is, "He offers London the chance to become a city of station; a place where every soul has its proper place, determined by its worth alone." It's a very nice touch, sounding all nice and idealistic if you don't know what's really up with Slowcakes, and extraordinarily ominous if you do.

--
Prof. Sian Kan, at your service.
+19 link
Lady Sapho Byron
Lady Sapho Byron

6/18/2018
To Every Soul It's Station ... Moloch Street Station!

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Lady%20Sapho%20L%20Byron
Fighting the Menace of Corsetry Since 1892.
+17 link
Parabuteo
Parabuteo

6/18/2018
I personally hope Slowcake loses by a massive margin for the terrible sin of forcing me to learn how to spell "amanuensis".

--
Once, I was a doctor. Now I am something different.
+15 link
Siankan
Siankan

6/19/2018
Dudebro Pyro wrote:
So if I'm getting this right, he wants literally everything to be a Making Waves grind. Hm. Somehow I'm not quite drawn to his campaign.

This is my favorite statement of the election, so far.

--
Prof. Sian Kan, at your service.
+14 link
Dudebro Pyro
Dudebro Pyro

6/18/2018
So if I'm getting this right, he wants literally everything to be a Making Waves grind. Hm. Somehow I'm not quite drawn to his campaign.

--
Dudebro Pyro, eccentric scholar

Spare Starveling Kitties always welcome. I collect them.
For that matter, send me your unwanted cat boxes too.
+13 link
0bsidian Fire
0bsidian Fire

6/18/2018
The card "A private detective" has "Just who is Mr. Slowcake?" as one of it's options and lets you investigate Mr. Slowcake who never is seen. If you pass it you find out the flowing:

[spoiler]Mr. Slowcake doesn't exist. He's the invention of a cabal of Devils in the Brass Embassy (Hell). It's suspected that "Mr. Slowcake", Slowcake's Exceptionals and the entire Notability system is a way for Hell to figure out who's souls they should be collecting.

That has some people concerned about him running for mayor to say the least...[/spoiler]

--
Kharagal Mierqid - Bohemian Correspondent who is obsessed with the Language of Stars...
+8 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

6/19/2018
Μαρσ wrote:
Maybe I shouldn't defame Mr. Slowcake if he isn't here to defend himself, but isn't there a huge conflict of interests? Notability determines your voting power, and the Slowcake's Exceptionals is 'the only arbiter that matters'; the only reliable guide to people's Notability. He could easily rig this years election!

Well, if that happens we'll know about it.

I don't think it's in Slowcake's interests to undermine the long term legitimacy of his system for some extremely short term gain. Mr. Slowcake is after all regarded as one of the most far thinking men in London. His Exceptionals has the potential to live on forever, while a Mayoral term is only one year. The fact that Mr. Slowcakes recognizes the Notability of those opposing him just goes to show how truly devoted he is to his cause. He's so real.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
+8 link
karykeion
karykeion

6/19/2018
Huh. That's an interesting social structure you have in mind there, Mr. Slowcake:

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Emmary%20Vale?fromEchoId=14260930

So, what he wants is a highly collaborative, communicative society with a strict caste system where each member is allotted resources according to their relative influence over the system as a whole. Kinda sounds like home sweet home for a devil.

--
Professor Emmary Vale, Cs.D. | the Wakeful Semiotician
+6 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

6/20/2018
0bsidian Fire wrote:
An Echo of what the Captivating Princess thinks of Mr. Slowcake: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kharagal%20Mierqid?fromEchoId=14269475

You know, that was...unexpectedly complimentary. Like, I'm trying to find any sarcasm or shade and I'm not seeing any. Even the "You know, I don't think he and I have ever met" seems genuine (which would be hilarious, as it would mean Mr. Slowcake is a far more private and hermetic person than we've previously thought).

--
+6 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

6/18/2018
Oh... you are right. I doubt it was untintentional!

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
+6 link
0bsidian Fire
0bsidian Fire

6/21/2018
I took her admition of not see Mr. Slowcake as her almost being surprised she had never met him before. In the sentence before that she talks of speaking with Embassy Devils, the Bishop of Southwark and how she sends copies of Slowcake's book from the Devils to the Church. Those aren't easy people to get access to and yet she has it. So how can it be that with all her influence that she hasn't met him?

The irony is that if she's talking to the Embassy Devils, she's probably talked more to the people behind Slowcake's Exceptionals then most people ever get to.

--
Kharagal Mierqid - Bohemian Correspondent who is obsessed with the Language of Stars...
+6 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

6/22/2018
I've been thinking a bit about the Amanuensis's long relationship with Mr. Slowcake. And, based on our interactions with him, I've come to suspect that the Amanuensis wants to be Mr. Slowcake. The Amanuensis views Mr. Slowcake as a more respected, intelligent, handsome, visionary, and notable version of himself. Hence his deliberate, albeit clumsy, mirroring of Mr. Slowcakes opinions and personality. But then, honestly, who wouldn't want to be like Mr. Slowcake, who is so unbelievably exceptional in every possible way? After all, to properly judge the exceptionality of every single person in a city, one must be very exceptional indeed.

btw, the Amanensis looking down on showboating behavior, talking about the attitudes of the Surface powers (royalty in government? ridiculous!), and drinking coffee...all seems faintly Great Game to me. Almost like the attitudes you'd expect from a spy who has subsumed himself into a role... But of course that's utterly ridiculous, Mr. Slowcake would only ever employ the most reliable people in his organization.

--
+6 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

6/26/2018
Sir Frederick wrote:
I think that's the portrait of Mr Slowcake described as appearing on the campaign posters - the Amanuensis still uses his generic portrait whenever a story is specifically about him.

I can't help but feel the ambiguity is very deliberate, what with Mr. Slowcake seemingly being a self idealization of the Amanuensis.

--
+6 link
incerteza
incerteza

6/27/2018
The Curious Watcher wrote:

I will just say this: no matter how bad you think the Masters and Hell are, humanity is and always will be its own worst enemy.

Okay, so we are not and never will be able to get rid of our worst enemy. Why not focus on the other ones?
edited by incerteza on 6/27/2018
+6 link
Barse
Barse

6/28/2018
Anne Auclair wrote:
I can confirm, in case there was any doubt, that the Meeting Mr. Slowcake interactions end after the seventh visit. Trying to meet him after that just replays the seventh visit.

That won't stop me! 12 visits in and watching the Amanuensis sweat is as satisfying as ever.

--
The Scorched Sailor, up for most social actions and RP. Not as scary as he looks.
+6 link
Barse
Barse

6/30/2018
What's that, Mr Amanuensis? Will I please go away?

Nah.

--
+5 link
Lavaeolus
Lavaeolus

6/25/2018
It occurs to me that concerns over the creation of voter profiles, the ability for all this data to be the hands of literal fiends and used for obvious manipulation -- it all feels very relevant to today's concerns over privacy and data storage in the internet age.

Not that voter manipulation is solely a modern concern, but I suppose it would be on the devils to draw directly on the modern world. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

--
My profile: http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Lavaeolus

Happy to help with any menaces or whatever else you need. Can serve as a Correspondent for Orphanages. Currently a Person of Legendary Charisma, accepting Protégés.

Currently challenging everyone in London to chess.
+5 link
dov
dov

6/25/2018
Barse wrote:
A new option on Slowcake's card allows you to meet the mysterious man "himself" - and, super interestingly, the text changes depending on whether or not it's your first visit! I will update if there's a third different option as I can.

Edit: So, uh, he's not so happy on the third visit. Colour me extremely interested...

Edit #3: I am in thrall to the Chester Saga. (And getting very lucky with card draws!)

Edit #4: I am a moron and didn't echo this one in my excitement. The prelimary text is the same, followed by: [spoiler]"A large figure sits in the shadows of the waiting room. They pour you a generous amount of wine and chuckle heartily. The figure leans forward; she is female, and Chester's mask sits awkwardly on her face. "Yup. It's me. Mr Slowcake. More tipple?" The interview is irreverent and uproarious. You don't remember getting back on the train."[/spoiler] How deep does this go??

Edit #5, and I assume the final one: I remembered to echo this one - and finally, the truth is out!

This whole saga is amazing. And I have no idea how to document this on the wiki :-)

(I also wonder if there are equivalents for the other two candidates)

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+5 link
Barse
Barse

6/25/2018
Regarding documenting it on the wiki - each time I went it incremented a quality (?) called Meeting Mr. Slowcake by one - I assume it's a hidden quality because I can't find it anywhere in my quality (or item) list, although the result text treats it like an item (in terms of "You've gained 1x [x] (New total [Y])"). So I assume the branch just has a hidden check for that hidden quality. Results vary for each point from 1-7 (going back and trying the branch again raises the quality to 8 but still gives the same final text). I half-wish it wasn't hidden, as it'd be a fun thing to whack on my mantle - at least until a couple more people make the journey.

The equivalent 10-Reputation option on the Contrarian's card doesn't change or increment in the same way - I can't vouch for the Princess.

Edit: seeing as only the last paragraph of text changes each time, it seems like it's contingent on an qvd (I think that's what those are called? The same thing that determines what the Heorot Urchins say on the faction card if you chose that ending of HOTOJOHO) inside the branch text rather than a number of different, slightly different branches for each level of Meeting Mr. Slowcake.

--
+5 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

6/18/2018
The descriptions are as amazing as ever.
And so is the art in this one.

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
+5 link
0bsidian Fire
0bsidian Fire

6/18/2018
The puns and double meanings of this are amazing. Kudos to the writer of this!

--
+5 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

6/18/2018
Truly dog-whistle politics at its finest. The authors must have had fun coming up with the right combination of plausibly-deniable and obvious-to-those-who-know.

Personally I'm glad I can vote for Hell more directly than in the past. I'm also looking forward to the skulduggery aspect of the election, Slowcakes certain has secrets that I've been wanting to find out.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/PSGarak
+5 link
Dudebro Pyro
Dudebro Pyro

6/20/2018
While we could pontificate at length on just how air-tight he is, I think that consensus is that he simply doesn't exist at all as a person - hermitic or no. This makes Princess's statement even more surprising (if it is truly genuine, of course), as it means hell have managed to fool even her - which I find hard to believe, as the player can find out the truth apparently relatively early in the game.

--
Dudebro Pyro, eccentric scholar

Spare Starveling Kitties always welcome. I collect them.
For that matter, send me your unwanted cat boxes too.
+5 link
Akernis
Akernis

6/20/2018
Netos Korlan wrote:

The ideal of democracy is founded on accountability and transparency.

Well, one thing democracy is certainly not founded upon is competence.

Snide jabs at the common populace aside, Mr. Slowcake claims to be interested in a meritocracy - that is the rule of the capable, and those of merit - but in actuality what he seems to want established is a kleotocracy* - the rule of the famous.
For all intents and purposes Slowcake's Exceptionals is a popularity contest, albeit one of extraordinary achievements. But we have many proud Londoners amongst us here who has also achieved very extraordinary things without bothering with their notability. So clearly fame or even notoriety is not the sole indicator of a person's merit.

*Yes, I made that word up - from Ancient Greek 'kleos' meaning fame or glory, and 'kratos' meaning power or rule.

--
Vena's profile - http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Akernis
+5 link
Rackenhammer
Rackenhammer

6/20/2018
What really gets me, and which may have been remarked upon already, is how Notability already affects voting. In essence, the fact that your vote counts the more notable you are means Slowcake's agenda is half-done already. A promise of higher status in his book would be enough to sway many a vote, and add to the total number of votes he could win at once.

How can we be sure he hasn't rigged this election beforehand by setting the rules of it?

--
"DO NOT TRUST HAPPY ENDINGS. DO NOT FEAR SAD ENDINGS... NEITHER ARE ENDINGS."
~
Mathieu Psmith: The Bard of Lost Children, loving husband, and a fixture of the artistic set. Can never resist making a show of things...

Irene Psmith: Adopted Daughter of Mathieu. Specializes in Information, Acquisitions, and the Acquisition of Information.

Vaughan Montblanc: Once a frontiersman of Western Canada, he now practices medicine in London. His discretion may be absolutely trusted.
+5 link
Μαρσ
Μαρσ

6/19/2018
Maybe I shouldn't defame Mr. Slowcake if he isn't here to defend himself, but isn't there a huge conflict of interests? Notability determines your voting power, and the Slowcake's Exceptionals is 'the only arbiter that matters'; the only reliable guide to people's Notability. He could easily rig this years election!

--
Μαρσ,
A Londoner, Zubmariner, Chef, a Doctor, and an Invisible Eminence. All social actions are welcomed.
+5 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

6/21/2018
Dudebro Pyro wrote:
This makes Princess's statement even more surprising (if it is truly genuine, of course)...

Yes, it might seem surprising, even impossible, that someone could forget that they have never met someone as truly exceptional as Mr. Slowcake. But we must remember that the Princess has lived a much more rarefied life then us common folk. While incredibly cunning in her element, outside the Shuttered Palace ordinary things - like the Mayor can't ban journalism or that people need passable doors to enter their homes - regularly slip her mind. The default general title, Ships in the Night, seems to suggest that her remarks are indeed genuine, as 'two ships passing in the night' is parlance for two people passing each other by without noticing.

The most important thing to take away from the Captivating Princess's account is that Mr. Slowcake does not have a secret policy of meeting with the city's greats. His private evaluations and judgments happen unbeknownst and uninfluenced by the highest persons. Mr. Slowcake is truly the most impartial arbiter of national influence that London could ever hope to achieve. His administration will presumably be no different, completely anonymous and impartial.
edited by Anne Auclair on 6/21/2018

--
+4 link
datarama
datarama

6/18/2018
Slyblue wrote:
Notability -is- the way to reach Bazaar-related profession, so one can only wonder.

The Masters are collectors of stories, and devils are collectors of souls. One might reason that the possessor of a notable soul - one that would rise to the top of the Exceptionals - might also be a central character in notable stories.

As for myself, I possess not just one notable soul, but a voluminous and well-indexed library of them. For science, you see. I mean to discover their chemical properties.

--
Professor Anton Moebius, the Antidisciplinary Scientist
+4 link
0bsidian Fire
0bsidian Fire

6/18/2018
An Echo of Slowcake's card: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kharagal%20Mierqid?fromEchoId=14255876

An Echo of what happens if you ask Slowcake about his platform: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kharagal%20Mierqid?fromEchoId=14255886

--
+4 link
Slyblue
Slyblue

6/18/2018
datarama wrote:

The Masters are collectors of stories, and devils are collectors of souls. One might reason that the possessor of a notable soul - one that would rise to the top of the Exceptionals - might also be a central character in notable stories.

As for myself, I possess not just one notable soul, but a voluminous and well-indexed library of them. For science, you see. I mean to discover their chemical properties.

Are you, perhaps, suggesting Hell and the Bazaar are working together - or perhaps, parallel to each other? Are anarchy and Liberation our only hope? :P
edited by Slyblue on 6/18/2018

--
The Smiling Devil The Curt Licentiate The Keen-Eyed Captain

"For hearts of truest mettle, absence doth join and Time doth settle."
+4 link
0bsidian Fire
0bsidian Fire

6/18/2018
I think it's more like, Hell has it's own yardstick so the Masters might as well make use of it. Everyone else in London does already. The Masters don't have much to gain for putting in all the effort to come up with something different. At least publicly anyway...

--
+4 link
Seneca Lane
Seneca Lane

6/20/2018
Interesting that Slowcake intends to turn London into a more meritocratic society- after all, who knows better than the Brass Embassy the dangers of an unchecked aristocracy...?

--
Seneca Lane, an extraordinary mind offering lessons whenever I remember people might want them.

No such thing as too many friends.
+4 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

6/25/2018
Just declared for Slowcake, and did the Flash Lay.

[spoiler]The Flash Lay says the campaign has gathered a bunch of mathematicians into the Brass Embassy, and are going to go full Persona Engine on this business.

Declaring says that from compiling the Exceptionals, Mr Slowcakes has all the dirt on all the people, and he intends to use it to accomplish his goals.[/spoiler]

As someone who is in-character a hunter of secrets, and out-of-character a mathematician, I believe I have made the correct choice.
edited by PSGarak on 6/25/2018

--
+4 link
Sir Joseph Marlen
Sir Joseph Marlen

6/24/2018
I agree with your opinion. The man is surely to be trusted; I mean he was the person who awarded me no candle out of pity after I ate my own page from Slowcake's Exceptionals. He is definitely the best in the business, no doubt about it.

If there's one thing I've learned from Seeking, it's that you can never fully trust anyone who enables such destructive behavior. If they're willing to help one destroy their very being, there's no telling what they'll allow. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to mail a particular calling card to a fellow Seeker.
Anne Auclair wrote:
I've been thinking a bit about the Amanuensis's long relationship with Mr. Slowcake. And, based on our interactions with him, I've come to suspect that the Amanuensis wants to be Mr. Slowcake.

My heart goes out to the Amanuensis, because I suspect he may truly believe in Mr Slowcake's platform and what he symbolizes. It's a shame he's only the campaign manager and not the candidate. All Slowcake's done for me is make Notability a difficult ladder to climb. The Amanuensis, meanwhile, helped me learn the ropes of the system and acted cute when I flirted with him for MW. I'll say this: I most likely won't be voting for Slowcake, for multiple reasons. However, would I consider voting for the Amanuensis himself, should he take a more independent role with a similar platform? Well, he would be considered, to say the least.

--
Sir Joseph Marlen - The Romantic Sophist
Alexus Harven - The Defiant Fatalist
Rose Reinhelm - The Respectful Revolutionary
Cappuccino - The Perfidious Spycraft

Available for any and all social actions.
+4 link
Barse
Barse

6/25/2018
NinjaComedian wrote:
Does this new option on the card only appear when you've declared for Slowcake? I'm not seeing it on my Slowcake card so I'm curious what the requirements are.

Ah - yes, it only appears if you've declared for Slowcake. I should have made that clear in the original post! Declaring for a candidate reveals two new options on their card, one costing 5 Rep and one costing 10.

--
+4 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

6/26/2018
I think that's the portrait of Mr Slowcake described as appearing on the campaign posters - the Amanuensis still uses his generic portrait whenever a story is specifically about him.

--
Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
+4 link
Netos Korlan
Netos Korlan

6/27/2018
(in-character election plea II - an Outlandish leaflet
Do you know if there is a way to write a Political Edition for a Newspaper ?)

"Elections: the sensible, far-sighted and kind-hearted choice: the Jovial Contrarian"

Good Ladies and Gentlemen,
in the epic debate of authority against freedom, the Jovial Contrarian has managed to produce the best position:
As Hegel said, when you have a thesis, and an anti-thesis, the best solution is synthesis!

The Constables would get more resources and a dedicated system! Rumormongers worry that they could also lose some effectiveness deriving from the current centralization... and even if that outlandish claim were true, it would be but a small price to pay: to make them less of a tool of the Masters!
Which means, in fewer words: the Constables would actually work on the side of the people, for a change!

And since the Contrarian has the wisdom to see both sides of an argument, he can see the limits of any position: so you would never end up in simplistic pitfalls like 'absolute anarchy' or 'absolute authority'.

Honestly, why would anyone vote for a menagerie of soul-stealers that are busy spying and collecting information on the citizens? The deception of Slowcake is clever as it is chilling to the bone! The so-called "Slowcake" promises a bunch of dreams, while having a total lack of transparency.

The Jovial Contrarian is a good, old, human Londoner that cares for his fellow citizens. Given the alternatives, he is the obvious best choice.

"Next issue: In the Southern Archipelago, are the lights on the coastline always out because the inhabitants seek the way SOUTH?"

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Stelios%20Korlan
+4 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

7/2/2018
There's an irony in the fact that whoever wins, Slowcake's Exceptionals will have played a crucial role in said victory.

--
+4 link
Passionario
Passionario

6/25/2018
If you want London to be ruled by an inhuman force that doesn't care about class, creed, gender or race, and that judges people solely by the arbitrary value assigned to them in its ledger of stories, then the Masters are right there.

(If anything, they are even more egalitarian than Slowcake. It takes wealth and importance to get into Exceptionals, but anyone with a stick can be a neddy man.)

--
Passionario: Profile, Story, Ending
Passion: Profile, Appearance
+3 link
Barse
Barse

6/26/2018
For what it's worth, Haley popped into the the IRC during week one and confirmed that it was definitely meant to be Slowcake himself - also it fits the description of the initial "Chester" rather perfectly (and is called "slowcake.jpg").

--
+3 link
The Curious Watcher
The Curious Watcher

6/24/2018
I agree with your opinion. The man is surely to be trusted; I mean he was the person who awarded me no candle out of pity after I ate my own page from Slowcake's Exceptionals. He is definitely the best in the business, no doubt about it.

--
Den Blackwell, Paramount
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Den%20Blackwell
The Silent Vake Hunter: GONE NORTH
The Ravenous Wanderer:
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/The%20Ravenous%20Wanderer
The Melancholic End-Bringer:
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/The%20Melancholic%20End-Bringer
The Lethal Nightmare:
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/The%20Lethal%20Nightmare
+3 link
Vaalintine
Vaalintine

6/18/2018
I for one, have faith that Mr. Slowcake is more than some fantasy of a diabolical cabal. Show us what you're made of, show us YOU are truly a person of importance.

Everyone, clap your hands (or other manipulating appendages) if you believe! *claps furiously*

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Vaal Lintine Magnanimous and outgoing, not very vocal
Available for Menace Reduction and Making Waves
In need of Scandal Reduction
Midnighter, available to educate Orphans
+3 link
datarama
datarama

6/20/2018
Netos Korlan wrote:
(In-character answer):

No, this will not do. Notability is a selfish and dangerous measure of one's worth. It is inherently self-centered! And the man himself has created this silly race! Clever, but clearly shady. I do not trust him.

We need to build a fairer City. It will be a long and hard road, an interesting and harrowing voyage, but we can do it. However, we will not do it if we pursue the selfish meter of Notability, trapped like rats in a race created by Slowcake!

Vote for the Jovial Contrarian!

...loud and rousing applause was generally off the table in radical salons, even nestled deep in Veilgarden where the Constables seldom went. Instead, the room erupted in a mumble, as the Contrarian's supporters were emboldened by mr. Stelios' impassioned argument for their candidate. In the back of the room, the Antidisciplinary Scientist got to his feet. Gaining the room's attention with a sevenfold knock of his cane, he spoke:

"It would only seem selfish and dangerous to those whose worth happens to be measured high on the current yardstick: The moneyed classes, the rent-seekers, the nobility, all parasites upon our social organism, growing fat off the toils and labours of our hardworking citizens - whether labourers of the hand, or labourers of the mind. Indeed, witness how the Masters could bend the current order to their own ends within mere days of the Fall.

Mr. Slowcake's platform is the only one that stands for true democratization. A people's forum for the free exchange of ideas; the mayoral Residence staffed by the people, regardless of wealth or class. The promise of Mr. Slowcake is *true* justice; not the sham meted out by a corrupt constabulary; a constabulary that the Contrarian himself admits is in the pocket of the Ministry - a Ministry that is, in turn, in the pocket of Mr Pages and the Masters.

I say: To every soul its station, to every station its worth."

--
Professor Anton Moebius, the Antidisciplinary Scientist
+3 link
Barse
Barse

6/19/2018
Μαρσ wrote:

It's explicitly said on the Reputation gain card that Slowcake's Exceptionals has stepped back from getting involved in the Election as an organisation - to the point where someone campaigning for an opposition candidate can give them some MW for campaign aid (Reputation)! But also, yes, it's super suspect.

--
+3 link
Akernis
Akernis

6/19/2018
Barse wrote:
But also, yes, it's super suspect.

Indeed, but that will also make the irony so much more delicious if one of the other two candidates win due to the notability of their voters.

--
+3 link
Wilhelm Leibniz III
Wilhelm Leibniz III

6/20/2018
My my. Most interesting! Most interesting indeed! Now of course the elections are a farce, but what an enjoyable farce they are! What flavor of the month shall it be this time?

Surely Slowcakes will prove a most interesting diversion. Oh what larks we shall have with this years election!

--
Wilhelm Leibniz III, Glassman, Hearts Desire
+2 link
Netos Korlan
Netos Korlan

6/20/2018
The Scientist was evidently an experienced and notable denizen of the City, his rhetoric powerful and direct. The Flit-Wandering Journalist remained pensive, shook his head, and promptly responded:
"I recognize your good intentions and values, and I respect them. However, you have overlooked a glaring fault.
The ideal of democracy is founded on accountability and transparency. Notability, good Professor, is not transparent nor fair. It is not a helping hand for the humble. It is instead a steep ladder of prestige, often influenced by a person's means, riches, and ruthlessness. More importantly: notability is a ladder crafted in the shadows, by a man that does not even show his own face, and his unspecified associates. Mr.Slowcake talks a good game, presenting a brilliant dream, but he is the very opposite of transparency!

It is time to do away with the mindless races to the top, and to turn our attention to help those left behind. Instead of rushing to increase our personal Notability, we should help each other. This can be best achieved in a safe community, under the rule of the law.

For indeed, the Constabulary is corrupt, but it is not corrupt because of the law. it is corrupt because the powerful override and overrun the law daily!
The only way to achieve accountability and transparency is if we are under an authority that is openly established, whose rules are clear for all to see.

--
+2 link
Jaina
Jaina

6/20/2018
The Devils and the Masters most definitely agree on the notability system, as they both profit for it - the same thing that gives souls interesting flavour is that from which stories are made - experience.

--
Cair-Var, a power-hungry lover of Devils and Rubberies
Hungry Ego, A morally upstanding citizen
+2 link
0bsidian Fire
0bsidian Fire

6/19/2018
An Echo of what happens if you ask the Jovial Contrarian about Mr. Slowcake: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kharagal%20Mierqid?fromEchoId=14259963

--
+2 link
Akernis
Akernis

6/18/2018
0bsidian Fire wrote:
The card "A private detective" has "Just who is Mr. Slowcake?" as one of it's options and lets you investigate Mr. Slowcake who never is seen. If you pass it you find out the flowing:

Ah, thank you smile

--
+2 link
Slyblue
Slyblue

6/18/2018
Can't believe my prayers were answered! Seems like Mlle is not going North -quite- yet...

--

+2 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

6/21/2018
Reddit seems to have a few more Slowcake supporters than the Forums. One of them, a certain blackdeslagoon, has argued the case for him far better than I could!

blackdeslagoon wrote:
The birth of Notability has brought exponential growth and goodwill to London: POSIs create orphanages for Notability, host salons for Notability, create works of art for Notability, and delve in the unspeakable for Notability. Even within the depths of the Bazaar, they speak of Notability, of the glory that shines despite the darkness of the Neath. We will lead a new age, a meritocracy to revolutionize the entirety of the Neath, bigger than any individual, BETTER than any individual, until Hell itself takes notice. It is only a matter of time...

[F]or change to be made, one must be Notable, and to be taken seriously, one must be listed on Slowcake's Exceptionals. I stated that people do goodwill for Notability, but the opposite is also true: the Notable create the goodwill that affect London herself.

You can be as kind as you want, but to create meaningful, lasting change for London, one must understand and work with the standards of Mr Slowcake. Would you rather deal with an insincere dullard? A woman who aspires to waste a fortune on frivolous art? If not, then take matters into your own hands. Be notable. And take a page and be as fantastically exceptional as Mr Slowcake.

blackdeslagoon wrote:
You do not seem to have an appreciation for the benefits of Notability, so let me remind you that it is more than ripening souls. It is an accurate measure of the skills and fame of an upcoming member of society, and it is only because of Slowcake's Exceptionals that both you and I have gained widespread renown throughout London.

Even if Mr Slowcake were to lose this year's election, his influence permeates through the rest of London like a field of burning roses. Everyone, from the royalty to the revolutionaries are a part of the names made up in Slowcake's Exceptionals, and whether they win the election or not, Mr Slowcake is the one bringing up to the future.

edited by Anne Auclair on 6/21/2018

--
+2 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

6/22/2018
Sir Greg! You are about to be wed! Should that not steel your mind against temptation?

--
+2 link
Harry P.
Harry P.

6/22/2018
0bsidian Fire wrote:
I took her admition of not see Mr. Slowcake as her almost being surprised she had never met him before. In the sentence before that she talks of speaking with Embassy Devils, the Bishop of Southwark and how she sends copies of Slowcake's book from the Devils to the Church. Those aren't easy people to get access to and yet she has it. So how can it be that with all her influence that she hasn't met him?

The irony is that if she's talking to the Embassy Devils, she's probably talked more to the people behind Slowcake's Exceptionals then most people ever get to.

I am not going to lie. When I first read about her thoughts on Slowcake, I thought she was making a jest at the fact that he does not exist at all. After all, she mentioned in the same conversation that she sends his books from the Brass Embassy to the Bishop of Southwark's church, presumably to annoy him, so it is implied that she knows of Slowcake's connection to Hell.

--
Harry P.: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/HarryP22h
A Magnanimous Gentleman Author with a tendency for melancholic monologues.
Elizabeth K. Broker: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Elizabeth%20K%20Broker
A Socially-Awkward Dueling Trickster with a thirst for vengeance and a soft spot for urchins.
If you are ever in need of any assistance, do not hesitate to ask either of them. The second one is still finicky, though.
+2 link
NinjaComedian
NinjaComedian

6/25/2018
Barse wrote:

Edit #3: I am 3000% invested and enthralled by the Chester Saga. (And getting very lucky with card draws!)

Edit #4: The plot thickens! I am a moron and didn't echo this one in my excitement. The prelimary text is the same, followed by: [spoiler]"A large figure sits in the shadows of the waiting room. They pour you a generous amount of wine and chuckle heartily. The figure leans forward; she is female, and Chester's mask sits awkwardly on her face. "Yup. It's me. Mr Slowcake. More tipple?" The interview is irreverent and uproarious. You don't remember getting back on the train."[/spoiler] How deep does this go??

Final edit, #5: Finally, the truth is out! See, all you had to do was tell us the truth, you silly devils. I'm more likely to vote for you than ever, now!

Does this new option on the card only appear when you've declared for Slowcake? I'm not seeing it on my Slowcake card so I'm curious what the requirements are.
+2 link
Cooper
Cooper

6/24/2018
Anne Auclair wrote:
Anne Auclair wrote:
We know the Masters make use of Slowcake's Exceptionals for their own schemes. Why wouldn't the agents of the Great Game do the same? It's an extremely handy reference guide to all the most notable Londoners.

So Slowcake, in addition to not existing, would allow the following groups, in order, to better monitor the populace:

The Masters
Hell
FOREIGNERS

I am failing to see the appeal of this phantom's platform.
edited by Cooper on 6/24/2018

--
Padraig Cooper,
Remorseful Opportunist. https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Padraig%20Cooper
+2 link
Wilhelm Leibniz III
Wilhelm Leibniz III

6/25/2018
Come on Slowcakes, dark horse victory!

--
+2 link
Hattington
Hattington

6/26/2018
Dudebro Pyro wrote:

• My man! Honestly you and the chap who pointed out amanuensis is a damn silly word to glorify a notary with hit it right on the head for me. Any reason I might have to vote for "Slowcake" is completely undercut by how unfun a brand of evil he represents.

Whatever the Princess is going to do, I at least believe her attention span will not suffer a making waves grind.

--
    Dreaded and judged
  • +2 link
    Jolanda Swan
    Jolanda Swan

6/26/2018
    Ι wasn't going to vote for Slowcake anyway, but anything that echoes 'making waves grind' triggers homicidal tendencies in both Jolanda and the player.
    Boy, sanity is eroded in the most unexpected ways down here.

--
    +2 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/25/2018
    Lavaeolus wrote:
    It occurs to me that concerns over the creation of voter profiles, the ability for all this data to be the hands of literal fiends and used for obvious manipulation -- it all feels very relevant to today's concerns over privacy and data storage in the internet age.

Not that voter manipulation is solely a modern concern, but I suppose it would be on the devils to draw directly on the modern world. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Seeing as how looking into the future and stealing mortal ideas is what Devils do (those fancy hats, natch), it wouldn't be out of character if they got their whole campaign strategy from Facebook.

--
    +2 link
    Aberrant Eremite
    Aberrant Eremite

6/27/2018
    0bsidian Fire wrote:
    An Echo of the information about Mr. Slowcake from the Flash Lay: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kharagal%20Mierqid?fromEchoId=14303617

Meh, it sounds like they're just trying to use the Election to calibrate their Notability calculation. I was already getting started on a more ambitious conspiracy theory. Remembering the Persona Engine, and Trial and Error, and how most Devils seem to regard the Iron Republic as a failed experiment, the mention of gatherings of mathematicians made me think that perhaps the plan was to turn London into Iron Republic 2.0.

--
    Hieronymus Drake: Gentleman scholar, big-game hunter, scar-faced aristocrat. Remarkably sane, all things considered.
    Tanith Wyrmwood: Longshanks cat-burglar; Bohemian author; now, perhaps, something more. Bubbly, expressive, and affectionate. It’s not only still waters that run deep.
    Telemachia Lee: Gentle lady by birth, brawling Docker by choice. Good company in the drunk tank.
    +2 link
    PSGarak
    PSGarak

6/27/2018
    Mr. Slowcakes' card is as frustrating as that of his Amanuensis. I drew Mr Slowcakes all the time last week when I had no use for him, and now that I actually want to talk to him he's nowhere to be found.

Anybody who was surprised about an infernal conspiracy behind Mr Slowcakes should have needed no evidence beyond that blasted, accursed card. The supposed statistical frequency of this card merely serves to underline Twain's comments about lies and damned lies.

--
    +2 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

6/30/2018
    [spoiler]I think something might have gone wrong - the mask isn't supposed to be thrown at you until you've met Chester several times. The first visit is meant to be a polite chat, ending with you spotting Chester removing the mask just as you leave.

Edit: In fact, looking at your journal... you appear to have echoed the earlier meetings with Chester and his mask already? I'm confused.[/spoiler]
    edited by Sir Frederick on 6/30/2018

--
    +2 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

6/30/2018
    [spoiler]Oh, yes, that's the first time it's mentioned. You meet someone claiming to be Mr Slowcake, you spend some time with him, then, as you leave, you see him removing his Mr Slowcake mask. It reveals what kind of a ruse you've experienced, just as the ruse is ending.[/spoiler]

--
    +2 link
    astranox
    astranox

6/30/2018
    well.... "soul" and "station" aswell s cards implying that he doesnt exist... i think if he wins there will be some great twisty stories so im pro slowcake.

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/astranox

memegenerator.net/user/14484840
    You don't want to see my lame memes...
    +1 link
    genesis
    genesis

6/30/2018
    [spoiler]Yes, I got a bit confused between what I've actually done myself and what I read in Barse's journal.

But the point of my confusion remains - the first meeting with Chester ends with "He helps you back onto the train and doesn't remove his mask until he thinks you've stopped looking" which seems to be a sudden appearance of that plot point.[/spoiler]

--
    http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/mikey_thinkin

Keeping track of incomplete content and loose ends in Fallen London
    +1 link
    Hazel
    Hazel

7/2/2018
    My alt backed Slowcake (purely by process of elimination), but digging into his secrets proved to be too labor intensive for me to keep up. I will have to rely on a quick summary of other people's discoveries -- not for the first time.

--
    "I can walk in the Mirror-Marches at the edge of dreams as easily as I might promenade in Tyrant's Gardens."

Skymaw & Belle Dame
    +1 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

7/2/2018
    astranox wrote:
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    There's an irony in the fact that whoever wins, Slowcake's Exceptionals will have played a crucial role in said victory.

DAAAAMN I hadnthadn't thoughtthought of that!

That's no doubt why the Amanuensis looks so happy in defeat. Mr. Slowcake might not have had the substance to win an electoral campaign, but lots of people sought and acquired Notability because of the election.

btw, I loved the Amanuensis's little dig at Feducci's former supporters :P

--
    +1 link
    Jolanda Swan
    Jolanda Swan

7/2/2018
    Well, there was no Slowcake to be personally invested or humiliated. So it is business as usual. The devils gambled little, and lost nothing.

--
    +1 link
    genesis
    genesis

6/30/2018
    I was wondering why Mr Slowcake is completely refusing to see me. It'c cause he is constantly attending to Barse!

[spoiler]The very first time we meet Chester (when the text ends with the mask sliding down the window - are we meant to have been aware of the mask *prior* to that sentence? Has it been mentioned in any other Slowcake content? For me it came a bit out of the blue (but maybe that was the point). Also why a flesh mask - isn't that more of a snuffer thing than a devil thing?[/spoiler]

--
    http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/mikey_thinkin

Keeping track of incomplete content and loose ends in Fallen London
    +1 link
    Jolanda Swan
    Jolanda Swan

6/28/2018
    incerteza wrote:
    I will just say this: no matter how bad you think the Masters and Hell are, humanity is and always will be its own worst enemy.

Okay, so we are not and never will be able to get rid of our worst enemy. Why not focus on the other ones?
    edited by incerteza on 6/27/2018

A wonderful plan! On to it!

--
    +1 link
    Wilhelm Leibniz III
    Wilhelm Leibniz III

6/25/2018
    Anne Auclair wrote:

Am I the only one wondering why Mayor Feducci had that house demolished?

Most likely it was for the same reason he ran in the first place. Because he could.

--
    +1 link
    Slyblue
    Slyblue

6/25/2018
    NinjaComedian wrote:

Seems like it! I declared for Slowcake just now, and saw the option on the card. Didn't have nearly enough Reputation to pick it, sadly.

EDIT: Ninja'd!
    edited by Slyblue on 6/25/2018

--

+1 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/25/2018
    0bsidian Fire wrote:
    An Echo of the information about Mr. Slowcake from the Flash Lay: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kharagal%20Mierqid?fromEchoId=14303617

Am I the only one wondering why Mayor Feducci had that house demolished?

--
    +1 link
    Greg M
    Greg M

6/22/2018
    Do we have any information on which devils, exactly, are "Slowcake"? If not, do we have warrantless speculation and gossip on them?

If the statuesque Brass Ambassador is involved, I would be sorely tempted to abandon my write-in campaign.

--
    Profile: GregM.
    http://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/GregM

Available for any non-harmful social interactions.
    +1 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/24/2018
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    btw, the Amanensis looking down on showboating behavior, talking about the attitudes of the Surface powers (royalty in government? ridiculous!), and drinking coffee...all seems faintly Great Game to me. Almost like the attitudes you'd expect from a spy who has subsumed himself into a role... But of course that's utterly ridiculous, Mr. Slowcake would only ever employ the most reliable people in his organization.

Been thinking about this platform promise a bit more.

The Amanuensis wrote:
    "You see," he says, "we're keen to get ideas. Favour a people's forum – they are such an exceptional resource for intelligence-gathering."

(Disingenuous) promises of equality and democracy and such are the Devil's hat. But, are the Devils normally the group we think of when we hear the words "intelligence gathering"?

We know the Masters make use of Slowcake's Exceptionals for their own schemes. Why wouldn't the agents of the Great Game do the same? It's an extremely handy reference guide to all the most notable Londoners. And Mr. Slowcake favors the establishment of new mechanisms for gathering intelligence on Londoners. Hmmmm.

If it's revealed tomorrow that Mr. Slowcake has the firm backing of the Game, I'll probably be supporting him. In the Game a piece doesn't argue about the square they are assigned to take.
    edited by Anne Auclair on 6/24/2018

--
    +1 link
    Akernis
    Akernis

6/18/2018
    I have heard several people now say that Slowcake is 'a literal monster', 'Hell', or 'a prince of Hell' etc. now. Is all this baseless speculation and exaggeration because people don't like him / have fun with not knowing who he is, or are there actually any hints towards any of this?

I see that he has some ties to Hell given his item and that a couple of devils follow his platform around to take notes, but that is the most sinister I have even seen hinted so far.

--
    +1 link
    civlover
    civlover

6/18/2018
    I guess I'll throw my weight behind him. He is the puppet of just Hell.

EDIT: Rephrased
    edited by civlover on 6/18/2018
    +1 link
    civlover
    civlover

6/18/2018
    Huh, I thought the Masters were involved with Slowcake.
    +1 link
    Slyblue
    Slyblue

6/18/2018
    Notability -is- the way to reach Bazaar-related profession, so one can only wonder.

--

+1 link
    0bsidian Fire
    0bsidian Fire

6/20/2018
    An Echo of what the Captivating Princess thinks of Mr. Slowcake: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kharagal%20Mierqid?fromEchoId=14269475

--
    +1 link
    Netos Korlan
    Netos Korlan

6/19/2018
    (In-character answer):

No, this will not do. Notability is a selfish and dangerous measure of one's worth. It is inherently self-centered! And the man himself has created this silly race! Clever, but clearly shady. I do not trust him.

We need to build a fairer City. It will be a long and hard road, an interesting and harrowing voyage, but we can do it. However, we will not do it if we pursue the selfish meter of Notability, trapped like rats in a race created by Slowcake!

Vote for the Jovial Contrarian!

(fun idea: write here your in-character election pleas)

--
    +1 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/19/2018
    Mr. Slowcake likes coffee and hates tea, omigawd! Now there's some first class dog whistling right there.

Also, Mr. Slowcake thinks the Captivating Princess is a very silly person.

--
    +1 link