Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Salons

Here you can speculate on the game’s plot, discuss its characters, and compare notes with other players.

What do you want to see in future ES's? Messages in this topic - RSS

Shadowcthuhlu
Shadowcthuhlu

5/4/2018
This started from a discussion in one of the IRC chats about historical small time gangs and the fact that we haven't really meet any in London - leading to the expressed desire to see an ES about small time gangs you could meet at Watchmakers or the Docks. Which lead to an even bigger question - what do other people want to see in future ES's?

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Dirae%20Erinyes. Closed to calling cards, but open for all other social action. I also love to roleplay.
+11 link
Vavakx Nonexus
Vavakx Nonexus

5/4/2018
I've been longing for an ES about the craftsmen of the Neath for a long time. I want to see the mad hatters who keep making Exceptional Hats! The people who spin Parabola-Linen Frocks from Dream-Flax! Whomever gave birth to Polythreme's glove business! What's the deal with the types of Ravenglass knives! The limits of Ratwork! Spite's exclusive rag markets! etc etc
edited by Vavakx Nonexus on 5/4/2018

--
Amets Estibariz, the Moulting Eidolon: Cradled by a sun all their own.

Blabbing, the Hobo Everyone Knows: The One Who Pulls The Strings. A Clarity In The Darkness.

Charlotte and the Caretaker: A family?
+22 link
phryne
phryne

5/4/2018
Maybe one focusing on the Khaghanian/Asian community in FL? With some delicious lore about the Gracious Widow on top, maybe smile

--
my accounts, with all 4 Ambitions completed: Bag a LegendLight FingersHeart's DesireNemesisBag a Legend, again
Exceptional Stories, sorted by season and by writerDestiny Guide
+17 link
Jaina
Jaina

5/4/2018
Anything to do with Rubberies and Devils. I love them both so very much.

I'd love some ES that visit various interesting locations in SS - Irem, the Grand Geode/Dawn Machine, The Nativity, The Principles of Coral, and the Empire of Hands, especially. Kingeater's Castle would be *awesome* if they came up with a plot that made sense for a place so utterly devoid of existence. Of course, I'd appreciate if they did what they did for Flint and give you an expedited trip the first time (repeatability not necessary for all but it'd be cool).

It'd be neat to have an ES focused on the Starved Men (I'm assuming there isn't one - I haven't gotten through about 50% of them but none seemed to address them much).

In general, as much as I enjoy London itself, the exotica is what fascinates me more - the folks a tad more 'monstruous' than your average person, the places filled with strange beings, and where time, space, and reason (Irem, Kingeater's Castle, the Dawn Machine) are distorted or broken.

--
Cair-Var, a power-hungry lover of Devils and Rubberies
Hungry Ego, A morally upstanding citizen
+15 link
Plynkes
Plynkes

5/5/2018
I have to agree about more far-flung travels. Flint was one of my favourites and I'd like more in that style. Maybe a piratical adventure in the Corsair's Forest, including a trip to Gaider's Mourn. Or perhaps something about that place where there's a hole in the roof and the sun shines in.

I do like London-based stories, but I really look forward to our little trips over the Zee.

--
"Then tell Wind and Fire where to stop, but don't tell me."
+13 link
The Curious Watcher
The Curious Watcher

5/5/2018
A story following the activities of one of the lesser known Masters like Mr. Spices or Mr. Hearts. I've always been curious about the Masters and wanted to learn more about them, so that would be nice.

--
The Thirteenth Master of the Bazaar:
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/The%20Thirteenth%20Master%20of%20the%20Bazaar
The Silent Vake Hunter: GONE NORTH
The Ravenous Wanderer:
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/The%20Ravenous%20Wanderer
The Melancholic End-Bringer:
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/The%20Melancholic%20End-Bringer
The Lethal Nightmare:
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/The%20Lethal%20Nightmare
+12 link
Jason5237
Jason5237

5/6/2018
I’d really love a Season of Islands in our future.

Mirroring some of the above comments, there are so many wonderful, eerie, and arcane destinations across the Unterzee that could be fleshed out. In particular, I’d love to have further adventures in Aestival, The Mangrove College, and The Empire of Hands. Oh yes....and Kingeater’s Castle.

--
H.G.R.: Adventuer, Explorer, Paramount Londoner https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/User766505
+11 link
Cooper
Cooper

5/5/2018
Take us to the Chelonate. Sunless Sea always talked them up as the third naval power that both London and the Khaganate worried about, but I felt like we never got to really see much of them.

--
Padraig Cooper,
Remorseful Opportunist. https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Padraig%20Cooper
+10 link
Gul al-Ahlaam
Gul al-Ahlaam

5/6/2018
I'd love to learn more about Gallblighter wasps.

• --
    The Uncanny Hierophant.
    The Jewel-Eyed Prince.
  • +9 link
    Meradine Heidenreich
    Meradine Heidenreich

5/5/2018
    I love expeditions and explorations, whether into the depths or across the zee, so anything that goes to new places. I loved Lamentation Lock -- it reminded me of my surface venture in SS. I agree with Jaina upthread -- so many islands to explore.

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Meradine%20Heidenreich

The Starveling kit
    Gobbled up the bit
    of cheese on my tray ..
    "O Weh!"
    +9 link
    Ixc
    Ixc

5/4/2018
    I think Great Game/Greater Game ES's are interesting. Perhaps we could find out more about more about the Old Man of Vienna.

--
    Pleased to meet you. Ixc, spy and detective. Inventor of the Correspondence Cannon.
    Are you a Paramount Presence? Record your name here. For posterity, of course.

Being poked incessantly by nightmares? Poke them back!
    Vote the Viscountess for Mayor!
    +9 link
    suinicide
    suinicide

5/4/2018
    A rubbery man ES!

--
    http://fallenlondon.com/profile/sunnytime
    A gentleman seeking the liberation of knowledge, with a penchant for violence.
    RIP suinicide, stuck in a well. Still has it under control.
    +8 link
    Tystefy
    Tystefy

5/7/2018
    WAIT.

A glimpse of a possible prelude to Sunless Skies.

Recent Khan activities pressure London into conquering more resources / land.

Some rando named Captain Columbus has an unorthodox solution: set voyage beyond the Avid Horizon in search of new lands to conquer / possibly pillage. So far, he hasn't had much luck.

Help him prep for his voyage via laborious or political means!

Get him a crew!

Possibly get some covert-op Revolutionaries as part of his crew!

RUBBERY MAN CREW!

--
    Will sometimes return to post absurdity.
    +8 link
    Hotshot Blackburn
    Hotshot Blackburn

5/8/2018
    Drudgewick. Why DO they leave all those sharp stones on the village green?

--
    Hotshot Blackburn: Messidor, Aspirant to the Calendar Council. Paramount Presence. Seeker of the Name. A firm believer in kindness, solidarity, and sufficient use of force and firepower.
    +8 link
    curtistruffle
    curtistruffle

5/7/2018
    D--n I forgot something particularly interesting. Special Constables! Disturbing amalgama of notorious soviet "Cheka" and SCP Foundation, dealing with occult crimes, it was always a breathtaking interest for me.

--
    Johnathan Priest(Nemesis), a Visionary Hunter of horrors both humane and eldritch.
    I am a Dangerous patron
    Jane Barlowe(Light Fingers), a Notorious Shenanigan and mediocre writer.
    Cardinalli Browning(Bag a Legend), a Joyful Adventuress and a fictional character, written by Jane Barlowe.
    +8 link
    Jolanda Swan
    Jolanda Swan

5/9/2018
    Weasels. More weasels.

--
    Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
    http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
    +8 link
    Aniline
    Aniline

5/12/2018
    Content:
    • Cats! (Good people of London, is a cat not a grace to behold?)
    • Expeditions, zailing, heists, etc - anything that breaks the flow of the regular London grind. Reasons to visit existing Unterzee locations other than the tiger court.
    • Anything to do with the London underclass: urchins, servants. I replayed Hojotoho! the other week and one of the many great things about that ES were stories of individual urchins.
    • Endings that actually make a difference in the game world. I hated the ending of the Last Constable's story and I didn't much like The Marriage of Feducci, but these two stories show Failbetter isn't necessarily opposed to major shakeups of the setting and outcomes that vary between player characters.
    • Callbacks to previous ESes.

Mechanics:
    • Endings that actually make a difference mechanically: new options, lodgings, titles, transportation, etc. Cool doesn't have to mean unbalanced / pay-to-win: a item that comes with a Very Infrequent card that gives you (say) 3e will take about a year (depending on how often you log in) to add up to 62.50 but is much more fun than a regular Enigma or what have you.
    • Stories that have a rhythm to them, quality-wise.
    • Stories that can't be played in one sitting (difficult, because a balance needs to be struck so that occasional players aren't prevented from playing the story they paid for).
    • More zailing content (cards? cards that grant qualities that open up temporary stops?)

--
    Melantha Prescott, the Suspicious Statistician. "3% failure chances crop up nine times out of ten."
    Francesca Ayers-Kernighan, bat-hunter, cat-whisperer
    +7 link
    Tystefy
    Tystefy

5/7/2018
    Expedition down the well.

It's the underwater zone.

-- or / and --

We take care of one of the Master's summer home. Which Master? Indeterminable. It's almost like... they're all roommates with one another...

-
    edited by Tystefy on 5/7/2018

--
    +7 link
    Cooper
    Cooper

5/28/2018
    The Starveling Cat! The Starveling Cat!
    Going to write a story? Write a story about that!
    edited by Cooper on 5/28/2018

--
    Padraig Cooper,
    Remorseful Opportunist. https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Padraig%20Cooper
    +7 link
    Catherine Raymond
    Catherine Raymond

5/8/2018
    More about the Dilmun Club. Yes, we know that line of content will eventually be resumed in the regular game, but glimpses of what they *have* done in the (background) past would be great.

A story set on Mutton Island. How did their well-worship come to be?

Hunter's Keep. How did the sisters end up there?

--
    Cathy Raymond
    http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/cathyr19355

Catherine Raymond aka Mrs. Rykar Malkus http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Catherine%20Raymond (Gone NORTH)
    +7 link
    Jaina
    Jaina

5/6/2018
    Jason5237 wrote:
    I’d really love a Season of Islands in our future.

Mirroring some of the above comments, there are so many wonderful, eerie, and arcane destinations across the Unterzee that could be fleshed out. In particular, I’d love to have further adventures in Aestival, The Mangrove College, and The Empire of Hands. Oh yes....and Kingeater’s Castle.

Kingeater's Castle has literal nothing, and it is the best

Gul al-Ahlaam wrote:
    I'd love to learn more about Gallblighter wasps.

• That'd be pretty sweet. Maybe a season of vermin or something like that. At least one ES on Rattus Faber, one on Wasps, and one on Blemmigans (they're basically vermin, right?)

--
    +7 link
    Daedalus_Falk
    Daedalus_Falk

7/15/2018
    Something focussing on what ended up happening to the God-Eaters. We get all these tantalizing hints from the Northbound Parliamentarian, Paranormastic Newshound, and Fidgeting Writer (and one line in the Nadir if you have SMEN), but otherwise they seem to just disappear after their role in what happened to Mr. Eaten. I'd love to see what they've gotten up to - we do have a bit of a paucity of Third-City characters, after all.
    edited by Daedalus_Falk on 7/15/2018

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Daedalus_Falk

----

For I was hungry, and you gave me rats. I was thirsty, and you gave me rats. I was naked, and you gave me rats. The rodents were gathered together, the cats slept in the Sun’s blindness, and the rats rose like the Moon, in the light at the edge of the cheese.
    +6 link
    curtistruffle
    curtistruffle

5/5/2018
    All the time a most intriguing affairs of Fallen London for me were criminal underworld, Hell and perils and mysteries of Forgotten Quarter (I still get level in Nightmares when recall a snippet mentioning Mt. Nomad was seen lurking there). Urchins too!
    edited by curtistruffle on 5/5/2018

--
    Johnathan Priest(Nemesis), a Visionary Hunter of horrors both humane and eldritch.
    I am a Dangerous patron
    Jane Barlowe(Light Fingers), a Notorious Shenanigan and mediocre writer.
    Cardinalli Browning(Bag a Legend), a Joyful Adventuress and a fictional character, written by Jane Barlowe.
    +5 link
    phryne
    phryne

7/15/2018
    Saklad wrote:
    phryne wrote:
    Maybe one focusing on the Khaghanian/Asian community in FL? With some delicious lore about the Gracious Widow on top, maybe smile
    Do people count as “Asian” if they have never been to Asia, or even the Surface? I suppose it is a matter of semantics, but still.

Speaking of semantics, I like how the term “oriental” is occasionally thrown about in the Neath with regard to those groups: since the term is a meaningless and vaguely offensive generalization, it is quite fitting. It also sets the tone for relations with said groups.
    Actually, when the game was new, what is now "Connected: The Widow" used to be "Connected: The Orient" and all the "asiatic" elements of London's population were generally referred to as "oriental". While historically accurate, this offended many players, and was changed back in 2013 (you can read about it here).

For the record, I am not a native English speaker and sometimes not completely up-to-date with the current offensiveness/non-offensiveness of specific terms in native English-speaking societies. For example, I was unaware of the specific racist history of the term "oriental" in Britain (which until recently was still used quite liberally in my native German, intended to convey "romantic" or "exotic" meanings - in itself not an unproblematic issue). Count this among the long list of things I learned through playing Fallen London! smile

Anyway, I hope not to have offended anyone by the use of "Asian" in my original post. It was rather my intent to specifically include all the London population of diverse asiatic backgrounds, not just those from the Fourth City. smile

--
    my accounts, with all 4 Ambitions completed: Bag a LegendLight FingersHeart's DesireNemesisBag a Legend, again
    +5 link
    Skinnyman
    Skinnyman

5/9/2018
    Weasels, foxes and/or dogs, but nothing related to anything major (if any). I want some lore about the Neath fauna.
    Why not flora or both?

--
    ESs items and quality requirements sheet. Please check if there are errors or if something is missing
    Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
    I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
    No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
    +4 link
    phryne
    phryne

5/28/2018
    Can't believe I haven't thought of this before, but now that I have I won't be dissuaded: we need an ES about Starveling Cats!

--
    +4 link
    Kowth
    Kowth

5/17/2018
    I want to see more stories about Sunless Sea stuff. Those who were or are going to play it are the same people who slog through FL. Just give in already. I want whole Empire of Hands, Drownie, Whither, and others-related factions and renown rewards. Plotlines involving the unterzee and the inevitably ubiquitous violations of the Agreement of No Consequence or whatever it was called, the Nidah, the Neathbow, Venderbight, Codex, Chelonate, Varchas/EC, etc. Also, I feel that there is an intolerable paucity of spider, Dawn-Machine, and Salt lore considering some of the things I learned in Sunless Sea/Skies
    +4 link
    Elaina Schill
    Elaina Schill

5/9/2018
    IM NOT AN EXCEPTIONAL FRIEND BUT I WOULD PAY LOTS OF MONEY FOR PIRATE-POET CONTENT. Maybe something similar or the Fallen London version of SSeas' Pirate-Poet and Merciless Modiste storyline.
    Like I said, lots of money.

--
    Main, Phiri Ulfur, the Cunning Shadow. Their heart belongs to a Pirate-Poet across the Zee.
    Alt Vermillion Liminate, the Tragic Scholar.
    Alt #2,Lady Jacqueline Blackwood, the Savage Beauty.
    Alt #3, Veracity Taylor, the Dame of the Docks.
    The Dogged Seeker, self explanatory.

I will accept any social actions on Fallen London(unless its a box of live rats. I already got rid of the d---ned things once and am not eager to repeat the endeavor).
    +4 link

10/29/2018
    Addendum:

One thing that could *really* use some fleshing out and would doubtless prove interesting:

The Constant Companion from Sunless Sea. There's almost zero information about the thing despite it being one of the biggest threats in the game.

What is it? Is it related to the sorrow spiders? Where did it come from? The high wilderness? Is it a native of the neath? Is there more than one? Does it have an agenda besides eating terrified madmen?
    +4 link
    Karwelas
    Karwelas

8/22/2018
    I would like to see a story focusing on some less known Master, perhaps as their companion or hired help during something they can't use Neddy Men or Special Constables for. Focusing maybe a bit on personality and their "Mastery".

My personal dream: seeing Mr. Iron dual welding swords and fighting with something.
    +4 link
    Barse
    Barse

10/29/2018
    I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Failbetter, give us the Rubbery ES we all deserve and desire!

--
    The Scorched Sailor, up for most social actions and RP. Not as scary as he looks.
    +3 link

10/24/2018
    Wouldn't dealing with American tourists in the 1890's essentially mean having to deal with rowdy cowboys?
    +3 link
    Lazaroth
    Lazaroth

10/24/2018
    That actually brings something to mind: Wild West Shows were at their peak during the time Fallen London is set. One of them traveling down to go on tour in the Neath could actually be the basis for a fun story.

--
    The Perspicacious Romantic — When all the world is washed away by misery, something beautiful will still remain.
    +3 link
    Winthropx
    Winthropx

8/16/2018
    I wanna learn more about the Reformed Devils. I only remember seeing one when investigating the Bishop's campaign. I'm curious to know more about the Devils that reformed. Are they playing to mess with the church, are they sincere, or is their some other reason being it?

--
    Bishop Winthrop, a kind-hearted soul
    A Paramount Presence
    I accept all social actions
    His Appearance
    http://community.failbettergames.com/topic9363-your-characters-appearances.aspx?messageid=229809&Page=10#post#post229809
    +3 link
    Estelle Knoht
    Estelle Knoht

9/16/2018
    A month on the current Struggle of the Struggling Artist.

A month of Neathy Michelin. Cannibalism optional!

--
    Estelle Knoht, a juvenile, unreliable and respectable lady.
    I currently do not accept any catbox, cider, suppers, calling cards or proteges.
    +3 link
    Winthropx
    Winthropx

12/4/2018
    I would kinda like to explore the medical side of London. It had to have gone through a major change now that death isn't really permanent. The story in Watchmaker's Hill about allowing medical students look at and cut you up is one interesting look at it. I would imagine surgeons and doctors would travel from the Surface to experience vivisection on a hopefully willing Human who wont be killed by it. This would also be around the time the Mayo brothers would've been traveling to bring back medical knowledge to their somewhat newly founded clinic. I could imagine one of them traveling to the Neath to gain what thy could to help Surface patients.

--
    Bishop Winthrop, a kind-hearted soul
    A Paramount Presence
    I accept all social actions
    His Appearance
    http://community.failbettergames.com/topic9363-your-characters-appearances.aspx?messageid=229809&Page=10#post#post229809
    +3 link
    IHNIWTR
    IHNIWTR

10/11/2020
    (and this is just me wishful thinking here but since Failbetter are so good at representation and getting the most informed people to write on a topic concerning specific communities, God what I wouldn't give for them to get Ben Aaronovitch to write that ES for them)
    edited by IHNIWTR on 10/11/2020

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Daniel%20Vaise
    +3 link
    Luminen Walker
    Luminen Walker

5/18/2018
    An exceptional story surrounding the place of Khaganians around London and the Unterzee feels needed.
    edited by TeslaWalker on 5/18/2018

--
    1 - Cpt. Martin Walker, a Paramount and Marvellous Dreamer.
    2 - Ariana Crivelli, a silent and sagacious lady.
    +3 link
    Teaspoon
    Teaspoon

5/18/2018
    Tystefy wrote:
    Every single story within Fallen London requires some form of 'need-to-know basis' lore that can be learned either from a future plotline or just straight-up browsing the wiki.

Every. Single. One. Especially the lore that can only be found far within the individual ambitions.

This isn't necessarily a problem. In fact, it's one of Fallen London's greatest strengths.

But... for the sake of this thread... perhaps...

Let us do... the unimaginable...

A ES story in which one does not require any forward FL knowledge beyond escaping New Newgate and the plotline has no underlying implications of greater powers or influences. The entire story is contained and concisely ends within the story.

A story without enigmas? Secret plot? Valuable lore?!

Yup.

So this story is built for new players in mind? Wouldn't it be better for the story to end with a glimpse of a larger picture, so the reader's interest will be piqued and they'll want to play FL more?

Nope. It's for veteran players. For those who know all the lore.

I don't... what?

It'll work. Somehow. Trust me.

I like the way you think.

--
    Truth lies at the bottom of a well.

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Alt%20Ern
    +3 link
    Teaspoon
    Teaspoon

5/28/2018
    phryne wrote:
    Can't believe I haven't thought of this before, but now that I have I won't be dissuaded: we need an ES about Starveling Cats!

OH MY GOD I WILL BUY THIS SO FAST.

--
    Truth lies at the bottom of a well.

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Alt%20Ern
    +3 link
    phryne
    phryne

5/31/2018
    ... or an adventure in the Iron Republic. That would be awesome.

--
    +2 link
    Jaina
    Jaina

5/17/2018
    Kowth wrote:
    I want to see more stories about Sunless Sea stuff. Those who were or are going to play it are the same people who slog through FL. Just give in already. I want whole Empire of Hands, Drownie, Whither, and others-related factions and renown rewards. Plotlines involving the unterzee and the inevitably ubiquitous violations of the Agreement of No Consequence or whatever it was called, the Nidah, the Neathbow, Venderbight, Codex, Chelonate, Varchas/EC, etc. Also, I feel that there is an intolerable paucity of spider, Dawn-Machine, and Salt lore considering some of the things I learned in Sunless Sea/Skies

To be fair, we do have an entire season (the Bluejacket) that is about the agreement, and there is about is nearly as much Tomb-Colonies content as there is in SS.
    Drownies (and maybe Apes) would be pretty neat as a faction, although I imagine they would make more sense as a connected deal.

More Dawn Machine would be great.

--
    +2 link
    Tystefy
    Tystefy

5/17/2018
    Every single story within Fallen London requires some form of 'need-to-know basis' lore that can be learned either from a future plotline or just straight-up browsing the wiki.

Every. Single. One. Especially the lore that can only be found far within the individual ambitions.

This isn't necessarily a problem. In fact, it's one of Fallen London's greatest strengths.

But... for the sake of this thread... perhaps...

Let us do... the unimaginable...

A ES story in which one does not require any forward FL knowledge beyond escaping New Newgate and the plotline has no underlying implications of greater powers or influences. The entire story is contained and concisely ends within the story.

A story without enigmas? Secret plot? Valuable lore?!

Yup.

So this story is built for new players in mind? Wouldn't it be better for the story to end with a glimpse of a larger picture, so the reader's interest will be piqued and they'll want to play FL more?

Nope. It's for veteran players. For those who know all the lore.

I don't... what?

It'll work. Somehow. Trust me.

--
    +2 link
    ChangelingChilde
    ChangelingChilde

5/9/2018
    Anything about the Rubberies, a battle for resources between the gallblighter wasps and the sorrow spiders, learning more about Kingeater's Castle and of course anything that hints at the Drowned Man wink

--
    DO you recall how the Hunger began?
    I'm sorry, my darling, I don't think I can!
    OUT past the High Wilderness and beyond
    I fear I've gone Seeking, for of Him I'm fond.
    --The Elfin Cannibal

Seven scars, seven chains, a soul too stained for Hell, and seven sainted candles burning at the well.

Gone to Grieve on the 17th day of the 7th month, 1897. Will be Vake-hunting next.
    +2 link
    IHNIWTR
    IHNIWTR

10/11/2020
    I'm pretty sure I wrote about this before, but I would love to have an ES that deals with London's Jewish population after the fall. Victorian London was known and celebrated for the breadth and prosperity of its Jewish community in a time where elsewhere in Europe pogroms and persecution were driving Jewish refugees into exile. Trying to explore what became of this community in the Fallen London universe would be really interesting.

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Daniel%20Vaise
    +2 link
    Jason5237
    Jason5237

9/10/2018
    Underwater adventures.

This could be in a diving suit and dropping down to explore a sunken temple, or to access an undersee cavern.

This could be in a zub and navigating through treacherous chasms or visiting the various ports under the zee.

Would love it.

J-

--
    H.G.R.: Adventuer, Explorer, Paramount Londoner https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/User766505
    +2 link
    Skinnyman
    Skinnyman

9/11/2018
    A machine (home conform) or a device of some sorts, but without any uses for 6-12 months. After that, new information will pop in which will eventually lead to *???* depending on multiple possible actions.

Spanning over multiple months I would see this item available for everyone, but some ESs offering extra options. Everyone will be able to participate and no one will know to what end.smile

--
    ESs items and quality requirements sheet. Please check if there are errors or if something is missing
    Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
    I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
    No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
    +2 link
    Catherine Raymond
    Catherine Raymond

9/12/2018
    Jolanda Swan wrote:
    Great idea.
    Hmmmmmm... underwater weaesels... in a cute diving suit...

Nope. Wouldn't work. We can keep these dreams separate for now.

Oh, dear God. your post gave me a totally different--and horribly evil--idea.
    Drownie Weasels.

--
    Cathy Raymond

Catherine Raymond aka Mrs. Rykar Malkus http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Catherine%20Raymond (Gone NORTH)
    +2 link
    Xue
    Xue

9/14/2018
    I want to see stories that explore the surface and how history has changed now that London has disappeared. Furthermore, the Great Powers of the Surface are clearly aware of the fantastical nature of the Neath, the Bazaar, etc. How would this affect the social order? This raises questions such as:
    • Will World War I still occur now that London has fallen? Could a surface power consider invading the Neath and taking control of the bazaar by force? Would rising stars such as the United States and Japan seek to get involved in 'Neathy Politics'? Would some unforeseen contender rise to fill the void left by the fallen Great Britain? Just how IS the commonwealth faring?

• Does the Berlin Conference and Scramble for Africa still occur or are the European countries too preoccupied by the Great Game occurring below?

• What of China? Did the Opium Wars still occur as they did or has the course of Chinese history been altered significantly? For that matter, what happened to the Mongol Empire on the surface? Do they still talk about the Fourth City? Is Karakorum (and the other fallen cities) treated by surface academics as an enigmatic location such as Atlantis, El Dorado, or Iram?

• One of the Exceptional Stories showed the Masters attempting to acquire the Sixth City. We also saw their surface shenanigans in the Fourth City spinoff game. It would be interesting to see further 'negotiations'

<Note: Just to clarify, I'm not proposing going to the actual surface given how that's a bad idea for most people in this setting. Rather, events from the Surface could be reflected in game with regards to Agent of the Great Game, gossip from Zailors who travel the canal, new arrivals, refugees, etc.>

edited by Xue on 9/14/2018
    +2 link
    Jolanda Swan
    Jolanda Swan

9/16/2018
    I second the Great Game idea. The Waltz that moved the world, the Empress' Shadows and even Lost in Reflections gave us an idea of what is going on above but there is so much more, and for those enmeshed in spy games it would be great to know WHAT they are spying for...

--
    Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
    +2 link
    Jolanda Swan
    Jolanda Swan

9/10/2018
    Great idea.

--
    +1 link
    Jason5237
    Jason5237

9/10/2018
    Jolanda Swan wrote:
    Great idea.

Too funny.

=)

But should have added exploring undersea wrecks. Would be so cool.

--
    +1 link
    Fredhot21
    Fredhot21

9/17/2018
    I would be partial to becoming cognizant of how Albion on the Surface and Albion in the Neath actually see each other. Does the Traitor Empress still mean anything under the Sun? How has the surface coped with the Bazaar and it's "theft"? Is there a new monarch on the Surface?
    +1 link
    Tystefy
    Tystefy

10/24/2018
    A story where you, the player character, fall in love with someone and attempt to woo them.

You get to pick from, like, 500 different options for your love interest.

----

Story where you gotta deal with American tourists.

----

I said it once and I'll say it again: expedition down the well.

Obligatory underwater zone.

----

The Rubbery Men decided to invite some of their once-long-lost-but-apparently-not friends to a party, and you're invited.

I'm not saying it's aliens, but...

----

A story about Candles.

--
    +1 link
    Vega
    Vega

11/20/2018
    I don't think it's been said so far, but I've just finished the Plaster Face storyline and I'd love more Rattus Faber tales! Those hardworking murines just don't enough love. Something that nods to cavies and Pigmote Isle in Sunless Sea would be sweet too.

--
    The Jaunty Mystic, Taranlei, roams the streets of London, interviewing fellow citizens. Member of the Sanguine Ribbon Society and the Temple Club (happy to send invites). Accepting all Acquaintances, lethal duels, social interactions, and opportunities for casual roleplay.

The Shifty Spectre has departed on the final voyage. "I have gone down, down, my love..."
    +1 link
    Optimatum
    Optimatum

10/11/2020
    IHNIWTR wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I wrote about this before, but I would love to have an ES that deals with London's Jewish population after the fall. Victorian London was known and celebrated for the breadth and prosperity of its Jewish community in a time where elsewhere in Europe pogroms and persecution were driving Jewish refugees into exile. Trying to explore what became of this community in the Fallen London universe would be really interesting.

I asked about this during one of the Discord Q&As! Chris said:

ChrisFBG wrote:
    I think this would make an amazing story, and be a fascinating aspect of Fallen London to dig into more.

I would want us to find an appropriately-qualified writer to undertake it, though.

So maybe we'll get such a story one day...
    edited by Optimatum on 10/11/2020

--
    Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Cider? Just say hi!

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
    +1 link
    Fredhot21
    Fredhot21

12/18/2018
    The early times of this fallen metropolis, when it was beginning to cope with the Neath, would be quite intriguing.
    +1 link
    Azothi
    Azothi

12/18/2018
    Long-Lasting Consequences: What truly makes a story memorable to me is the long-lasting consequences that can be seen even in regular gameplay. Now, this is clearly infeasible for every story (and part of what makes it special is its rareness), but for stories where it fits, I believe it's reasonable.

"HOJOTOHO!" is the definitive example of long-lasting consequences being utilized effectively, in my opinion. The Ringbreakers ending is heartwarming and beautiful, but it gives a permanent new option on the Urchins card that allows you to revisit the old characters and see where they are now. I no longer take the time to read the text every time, but just seeing the Valkyrie art is enough to remind me of the story, and it takes an otherwise generic faction card and makes it a meaningful reminder of a great story. Likewise, the small change it makes to Literary Ambitions in Veilgarden allows low-level players to further see the impact of the story. The Foreign Office ending opens up a new heartwarming option at the end of that carousel, as well, and it gives character to an otherwise dull place.

The winter Fate stories are consistently good with long-lasting consequences. I want to particularly focus on "The Empress' Shadow" as an effective model for more sustainable long-lasting consequences. The Finishing School is always available as a potential source of Favours and card refreshes (though it's not the most effective, mechanically speaking). Within the Finishing School, though, options are unlocked through other Exceptional Stories. "Lost in Reflections" and "The Gift" both unlock new features, and "The Frequently Deceased" unlocks a new student and a new potential ending.

The balance concerns may be too much for an ES, especially for guest writers, but it would go a long way to making a story truly memorable, in my opinion.

--
    Azoth I, the Emissary of Cardinals - A Paramount Presence (not currently accepting new Proteges)
    Away to where the Chain cannot bind us.
    Hesperidean.
    +1 link
    Jolanda Swan
    Jolanda Swan

12/18/2018
    Seconded. Long-lasting consequences might be as small as an option in a card, or an addition to a storylet. OR A LETTER FROM A CERTAIN SOMEONE, I am still in love dammit.

--
    +1 link
    AbsolxGuardian
    AbsolxGuardian

1/11/2020
    I second both the idea for an american tourist story and a season of islands. It was a common trope in Victorian (or Victorian adjacent) stories for there to be a cowboy character. Just some poor cowboy/outlaw character that ended up in the Neath and is confused by both the neathy and english aspects of it all. For the season of islands, for people to play Sunless Seas, it would be a lot of fun to meet characters and visit locations in different contexts in some story or another. A similar idea would be something tieing into Sunless Skies, where the player is contracted to do something like gather information on the Dawn Machine or help get things ready for going to the High Wilderness (I'm assuming it's Throne of Hours shenanigans that keeps the "London moved to space 10 years ago" thing making problems with the ingame year).

--
    Guide to my characters
    +1 link
    Jolanda Swan
    Jolanda Swan

1/11/2020
    Weasels.
    More weasels.
    All the weasels.

--
    +1 link
    phryne
    phryne

10/8/2020
    I'd love to read a story about the people keeping London's gaslights going. There must be a lot of them.

We know that gaslighting London is Mr Fires' domain (no double-meaning intended - though, who knows...), but that's it basically. What's the daily grind of the workers like? Does Mr Fires treat them as badly as the workers in its factories? Are they recognized for their invaluable efforts by their fellow citizens? How dangerous is their job? Where do the pipes run? How often do explosions occur? What kind of gas is used and where are the gasfields? Does Fallen London sit right on top of one?

--
    +1 link
     Saklad
    Saklad

7/14/2018
    Can I just say it is amazing to see how much variety and potential there is in the Fallen London universe (which really we need a name for)? Just look at the range of suggestions in this thread!

• edited by Saklad5 on 7/14/2018

--
    Saklad5, a man of many talents
  • +1 link
    Catherine Raymond
    Catherine Raymond

5/28/2018
    Cooper wrote:
    The Starveling Cat! The Starveling Cat!
    Going to write a story? Write a story about that!
    edited by Cooper on 5/28/2018

An excellent idea. I'd like to know what drives a cat to go Seeking in the first place.

--
    Cathy Raymond

+1 link