Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Salons

Here you can speculate on the game’s plot, discuss its characters, and compare notes with other players.

What do you want to see in future ES's? Messages in this topic - RSS

ChangelingChilde
ChangelingChilde
Posts: 232

5/9/2018
Anything about the Rubberies, a battle for resources between the gallblighter wasps and the sorrow spiders, learning more about Kingeater's Castle and of course anything that hints at the Drowned Man wink

--
DO you recall how the Hunger began?
I'm sorry, my darling, I don't think I can!
OUT past the High Wilderness and beyond
I fear I've gone Seeking, for of Him I'm fond.
--The Elfin Cannibal

Seven scars, seven chains, a soul too stained for Hell, and seven sainted candles burning at the well.

Gone to Grieve on the 17th day of the 7th month, 1897. Will be Vake-hunting next.
+2 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman
Posts: 2149

5/9/2018
Weasels, foxes and/or dogs, but nothing related to anything major (if any). I want some lore about the Neath fauna.
Why not flora or both?

--
ESs items and quality requirements sheet. Please check if there are errors or if something is missing
Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
+4 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan
Posts: 1823

5/9/2018
Weasels. More weasels.

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
+8 link
Aniline
Aniline
Posts: 144

5/12/2018
Content:
  • Cats! (Good people of London, is a cat not a grace to behold?)
  • Expeditions, zailing, heists, etc - anything that breaks the flow of the regular London grind. Reasons to visit existing Unterzee locations other than the tiger court.
  • Anything to do with the London underclass: urchins, servants. I replayed Hojotoho! the other week and one of the many great things about that ES were stories of individual urchins.
  • Endings that actually make a difference in the game world. I hated the ending of the Last Constable's story and I didn't much like The Marriage of Feducci, but these two stories show Failbetter isn't necessarily opposed to major shakeups of the setting and outcomes that vary between player characters.
  • Callbacks to previous ESes.

Mechanics:
  • Endings that actually make a difference mechanically: new options, lodgings, titles, transportation, etc. Cool doesn't have to mean unbalanced / pay-to-win: a item that comes with a Very Infrequent card that gives you (say) 3e will take about a year (depending on how often you log in) to add up to 62.50 but is much more fun than a regular Enigma or what have you.
  • Stories that have a rhythm to them, quality-wise.
  • Stories that can't be played in one sitting (difficult, because a balance needs to be struck so that occasional players aren't prevented from playing the story they paid for).
  • More zailing content (cards? cards that grant qualities that open up temporary stops?)


--
Melantha Prescott, the Suspicious Statistician. "3% failure chances crop up nine times out of ten."
Francesca Ayers-Kernighan, bat-hunter, cat-whisperer
+7 link
Tystefy
Tystefy
Posts: 495

5/17/2018
Every single story within Fallen London requires some form of 'need-to-know basis' lore that can be learned either from a future plotline or just straight-up browsing the wiki.

Every. Single. One. Especially the lore that can only be found far within the individual ambitions.

This isn't necessarily a problem. In fact, it's one of Fallen London's greatest strengths.

But... for the sake of this thread... perhaps...

Let us do... the unimaginable...


A ES story in which one does not require any forward FL knowledge beyond escaping New Newgate and the plotline has no underlying implications of greater powers or influences. The entire story is contained and concisely ends within the story.


A story without enigmas? Secret plot? Valuable lore?!


Yup.

So this story is built for new players in mind? Wouldn't it be better for the story to end with a glimpse of a larger picture, so the reader's interest will be piqued and they'll want to play FL more?

Nope. It's for veteran players. For those who know all the lore.

I don't... what?


It'll work. Somehow. Trust me.



--
Will sometimes return to post absurdity.
+2 link
Kowth
Kowth
Posts: 64

5/17/2018
I want to see more stories about Sunless Sea stuff. Those who were or are going to play it are the same people who slog through FL. Just give in already. I want whole Empire of Hands, Drownie, Whither, and others-related factions and renown rewards. Plotlines involving the unterzee and the inevitably ubiquitous violations of the Agreement of No Consequence or whatever it was called, the Nidah, the Neathbow, Venderbight, Codex, Chelonate, Varchas/EC, etc. Also, I feel that there is an intolerable paucity of spider, Dawn-Machine, and Salt lore considering some of the things I learned in Sunless Sea/Skies
+4 link
Jaina
Jaina
Posts: 239

5/17/2018
Kowth wrote:
I want to see more stories about Sunless Sea stuff. Those who were or are going to play it are the same people who slog through FL. Just give in already. I want whole Empire of Hands, Drownie, Whither, and others-related factions and renown rewards. Plotlines involving the unterzee and the inevitably ubiquitous violations of the Agreement of No Consequence or whatever it was called, the Nidah, the Neathbow, Venderbight, Codex, Chelonate, Varchas/EC, etc. Also, I feel that there is an intolerable paucity of spider, Dawn-Machine, and Salt lore considering some of the things I learned in Sunless Sea/Skies


To be fair, we do have an entire season (the Bluejacket) that is about the agreement, and there is about is nearly as much Tomb-Colonies content as there is in SS.
Drownies (and maybe Apes) would be pretty neat as a faction, although I imagine they would make more sense as a connected deal.

More Dawn Machine would be great.

--
Cair-Var, a power-hungry lover of Devils and Rubberies
Hungry Ego, A morally upstanding citizen
+2 link
Luminen Walker
Luminen Walker
Posts: 172

5/18/2018
An exceptional story surrounding the place of Khaganians around London and the Unterzee feels needed.
edited by TeslaWalker on 5/18/2018

--
1 - Cpt. Martin Walker, a Paramount and Marvellous Dreamer.
2 - Ariana Crivelli, a silent and sagacious lady.
+3 link
Teaspoon
Teaspoon
Posts: 866

5/18/2018
Tystefy wrote:
Every single story within Fallen London requires some form of 'need-to-know basis' lore that can be learned either from a future plotline or just straight-up browsing the wiki.

Every. Single. One. Especially the lore that can only be found far within the individual ambitions.

This isn't necessarily a problem. In fact, it's one of Fallen London's greatest strengths.

But... for the sake of this thread... perhaps...

Let us do... the unimaginable...


A ES story in which one does not require any forward FL knowledge beyond escaping New Newgate and the plotline has no underlying implications of greater powers or influences. The entire story is contained and concisely ends within the story.


A story without enigmas? Secret plot? Valuable lore?!


Yup.

So this story is built for new players in mind? Wouldn't it be better for the story to end with a glimpse of a larger picture, so the reader's interest will be piqued and they'll want to play FL more?

Nope. It's for veteran players. For those who know all the lore.

I don't... what?


It'll work. Somehow. Trust me.




I like the way you think.

--
Truth lies at the bottom of a well.

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Alt%20Ern
+3 link
Kowth
Kowth
Posts: 64

5/18/2018
Jaina wrote:
Kowth wrote:
I want to see more stories about Sunless Sea stuff. Those who were or are going to play it are the same people who slog through FL. Just give in already. I want whole Empire of Hands, Drownie, Whither, and others-related factions and renown rewards. Plotlines involving the unterzee and the inevitably ubiquitous violations of the Agreement of No Consequence or whatever it was called, the Nidah, the Neathbow, Venderbight, Codex, Chelonate, Varchas/EC, etc. Also, I feel that there is an intolerable paucity of spider, Dawn-Machine, and Salt lore considering some of the things I learned in Sunless Sea/Skies


To be fair, we do have an entire season (the Bluejacket) that is about the agreement, and there is about is nearly as much Tomb-Colonies content as there is in SS.
Drownies (and maybe Apes) would be pretty neat as a faction, although I imagine they would make more sense as a connected deal.

More Dawn Machine would be great.


Plenty about the agreement, nothing about the many cities in clear violation
0 link
phryne
phryne
Posts: 1430

5/28/2018
Can't believe I haven't thought of this before, but now that I have I won't be dissuaded: we need an ES about Starveling Cats!

--
4 Accounts, 4 Ambitions finished: Bag a LegendLight FingersHeart's DesireNemesis
Exceptional Stories, sorted by season and by writerDestiny Guide
+4 link
Teaspoon
Teaspoon
Posts: 866

5/28/2018
phryne wrote:
Can't believe I haven't thought of this before, but now that I have I won't be dissuaded: we need an ES about Starveling Cats!



OH MY GOD I WILL BUY THIS SO FAST.

--
Truth lies at the bottom of a well.

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Alt%20Ern
+3 link
Cooper
Cooper
Posts: 61

5/28/2018
The Starveling Cat! The Starveling Cat!
Going to write a story? Write a story about that!
edited by Cooper on 5/28/2018

--
Padraig Cooper,
Remorseful Opportunist. https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Padraig%20Cooper
+7 link
Jaina
Jaina
Posts: 239

5/28/2018
yesssss

--
Cair-Var, a power-hungry lover of Devils and Rubberies
Hungry Ego, A morally upstanding citizen
0 link
Catherine Raymond
Catherine Raymond
Posts: 2641

5/28/2018
Cooper wrote:
The Starveling Cat! The Starveling Cat!
Going to write a story? Write a story about that!
edited by Cooper on 5/28/2018


An excellent idea. I'd like to know what drives a cat to go Seeking in the first place.

--
Cathy Raymond
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/cathyr19355

Catherine Raymond aka Mrs. Rykar Malkus http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Catherine%20Raymond (Gone NORTH)
+1 link
Shylock X
Shylock X
Posts: 4

5/28/2018
Cooper wrote:
The Starveling Cat! The Starveling Cat!
Going to write a story? Write a story about that!
edited by Cooper on 5/28/2018


Starveling Cats make us laugh out loud.
edited by Shylock X on 5/28/2018

--
You called me a dog before you had any reason to. But since I’m a dog, beware my fangs. The duke will give me justice.—I do wonder, jailer, how you can be so foolish as to let this prisoner out of his cell.
0 link
phryne
phryne
Posts: 1430

5/31/2018
... or an adventure in the Iron Republic. That would be awesome.

--
4 Accounts, 4 Ambitions finished: Bag a LegendLight FingersHeart's DesireNemesis
Exceptional Stories, sorted by season and by writerDestiny Guide
+2 link
Honeyaddict
Honeyaddict
Posts: 505

5/31/2018
Perhaps one surrounding the weasellers in London and their origins. (I know the reddit origin, but it'd be fun for it to have a London Origin as well.)
Or something surrounding the Iron Republic, perhaps you being the absolute ruler of it for a while.
Or a good ol' raid on either the Revolutionaries HQ or the Bazaar. To flesh out the "war" between said factions more and let you decide how to turn the tides of the battle.

--
Honeyaddict, Silverer Scarlet Saint, Paramount Presence of the Old Regime
pleasure to meet you.

Has some ideas the Masters won't approve of like some items and establishing a Colony in Parabola. Update: a Basecamp has been completed, now to win back the Viric Jungle in order to build the Church itself!

I will accept most social interactions (not duping). I do enjoy role playing as well.
Have some possibly still active codes.
0 link
 Saklad
Saklad
Posts: 528

7/14/2018
Can I just say it is amazing to see how much variety and potential there is in the Fallen London universe (which really we need a name for)? Just look at the range of suggestions in this thread!

  • edited by Saklad5 on 7/14/2018

    --
    Saklad5, a man of many talents
  • +1 link
     Saklad
    Saklad
    Posts: 528

    7/14/2018
    phryne wrote:
    Maybe one focusing on the Khaghanian/Asian community in FL? With some delicious lore about the Gracious Widow on top, maybe smile



  • Do people count as “Asian” if they have never been to Asia, or even the Surface? I suppose it is a matter of semantics, but still.

    Speaking of semantics, I like how the term “oriental” is occasionally thrown about in the Neath with regard to those groups: since the term is a meaningless and vaguely offensive generalization, it is quite fitting. It also sets the tone for relations with said groups.

    --
    Saklad5, a man of many talents
  • 0 link




    Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.0.2.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software